FL FL - Miramar, WhtMale UP1249, 21-35, silver ring w/ 'Kriegsgluck', Aug'84

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP28641Alan J. Hirsch, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactFebruary 24, 1984
Missing FromNorth Miami, Florida

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

A quick search on the internet suggests that the ring stems from the First World War and Austria. Apparently it was a patriotic sign you could buy to support the war. People were encouraged to donate their gold and other precious metals for the war effort.
Kriegskitsch im Ersten Weltkrieg – Regiowiki

I'm not sure if the ring refers to kitsch. The translation of the word Kriegsgluck is Fortunes of War. Goethe wrote a poem in the late 1700's regarding the life of a soldier. The ring could have been commissioned in either WW1 or WW2 but considering Germany lost both those wars I don't see it being that old. It could have been created for someone to wear as a warning that entering a war is no guarantee that the spoils of war will be yours. It is quite small, a woman could wear that size on her ring finger. If it was a woman's ring it could have been worn as a pinkie ring.

I'm kind of confused about the clay recreation. I read that the victim had been attacked with a machete and one one or more blows had completely removed his lower jaw. So I'm not sure if the jaw was found with the body. Since it appears the body was dumped how do they know his jaw was so narrow and pointed?

This guy went missing from Miami

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP2631Arthur Stanley Carver III, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactDecember 6, 1983
Missing FromNorth Fort Myers, Florida

Circumstances of DisappearanceWENT MISSING IN MIAMI, FLORIDA, DESTINATION WAS BIMINI, BAHAMAS FOR MARIJUANA, WAS LAST SEEN LEAVING DINNER KEY MARINA IN MIAMI, FLORIDA ON 12/06/1983 WITH KEVIN WADSWORTH WHO ALSO IS MISSING.

He was going to pick up drugs maybe someone knew he had a lot of money?

If you are going to pick up drugs in Bimini, you're not going to get some personal weed. He and his buddy were probably buying a lot to deal so yeah, I bet they had a substantial amount of money on them. They could have gotten waylaid out on the water, robbed and murdered and their boat sunk. Or they could have made it to Bimini and were double crossed and eliminated there. Lots of scenarios where a drug deal goes bad.

I've submitted the following cases to NamUs.

Jackson Wade Orvin's wife reported that he was last seen on June 6, 1984 as he left for the store in Naples, FL, and hasn't been seen since. Roughly 2.5 months later, and 100 miles away from Orvin's last location, on August 19, 1984, skeletal remains of an unidentified man were found face down in Miramar, Florida. The body had been savagely attacked with a sharp weapon like a machete, according to the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Artistic discretion, and the smile in Orvin's face aside, the two men look a lot alike. Their physical description are close.

Jackson-Orvin.jpg

Jackson Wade Orvin (NamUs #MP13846)

Miramar, FL Unidentified (NamUs #UP1249)

I've submitted the following cases to NamUs.

Jackson Wade Orvin's wife reported that he was last seen on June 6, 1984 as he left for the store in Naples, FL, and hasn't been seen since. Roughly 2.5 months later, and 100 miles away from Orvin's last location, on August 19, 1984, skeletal remains of an unidentified man were found face down in Miramar, Florida. The body had been savagely attacked with a sharp weapon like a machete, according to the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Artistic discretion, and the smile in Orvin's face aside, the two men look a lot alike. Their physical description are close.

View attachment 502647

Jackson Wade Orvin (NamUs #MP13846)

Miramar, FL Unidentified (NamUs #UP1249)
Great find— I see many similarities with similar bone structure and shape of the face and height.

Please keep us posted.

I'm not sure if the ring refers to kitsch. The translation of the word Kriegsgluck is Fortunes of War. Goethe wrote a poem in the late 1700's regarding the life of a soldier. The ring could have been commissioned in either WW1 or WW2 but considering Germany lost both those wars I don't see it being that old. It could have been created for someone to wear as a warning that entering a war is no guarantee that the spoils of war will be yours. It is quite small, a woman could wear that size on her ring finger. If it was a woman's ring it could have been worn as a pinkie ring.

I'm kind of confused about the clay recreation. I read that the victim had been attacked with a machete and one one or more blows had completely removed his lower jaw. So I'm not sure if the jaw was found with the body. Since it appears the body was dumped how do they know his jaw was so narrow and pointed?
The style of font and overall style of the ring is definitely around WWI. It is an old ring, probably heirloom. Looks like the rings you got as souvenir when you donated gold jewelry to the local war collections.

Pelzer has a really strong resemblance to the decedent's reconstructions. Especially through the nose, cheekbones, and general shape of the skull and jaw.

Reactions: IDK

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicheKinn
Back