Identified! FL - Monroe Co., WhtFem UP15704, 15-18, in Atlantic Ocean, 'K' earrings, Feb'92 - may be Kathia Rodriguez Leon

It's so weird how this case has been active for 27 years, despite the fact that it looks like she was identified literally right after she was found and it's pretty obvious what happened to her. On top of that, her loved ones (at least her parents) were found alongside her, and they appear to have been identified without a doubt, as they are nowhere to be found on any unidentified persons' databases. Kathia/Jane Marathon Doe was inserted into NamUS circa 2016, and NCMEC even gave her a recent facial reconstruction.

I don't know what Cuban refugees would take with them when heading to America, but I'm thinking the reason why the parents were identified right away is that they carried ID or other documents proving their identities. Kathia may have never been "officially" identified because at her age, the likelihood that she'd carry any type of identification would be much less than the odds of her adult parents doing the same. That being said, I really don't know what kinds of documents, if any, they would bring alongside them, given the circumstances.

Also, with the exception of the parents, I have no idea where the other people on the plane ended up or if they've ever been located. Kathia had two younger siblings, if I recall correctly, and there were family friends on the plane as well, and I have no clue when or where they turned up, if ever.

UDI received a request from staff at the District 16 Medical Examiner’s Office for assistance in locating the purported burial site of an unidentified deceased juvenile female. The decedent died in a plane crash in February 1992. The plane, an overloaded crop duster which originated in Cuba, crashed in the Gulf of Mexico. Numerous bodies were identified from the crash, but the identity of the juvenile was unknown. District 16 staff located an obituary for the girl’s parents in a Cuban expat newspaper which provided a name for the decedent and a location for her remains.
District staff attempted to contact the cemetery without success, and a request was made to UDI for outreach. UDI staff contacted the cemetery and was provided with the exact plot location of the decedent and her parents. This information was provided to the Medical Examiner’s office for follow up in determining further steps to verify the decedent’s identity.

UDI received a request from staff at the District 16 Medical Examiner’s Office for assistance in locating the purported burial site of an unidentified deceased juvenile female. The decedent died in a plane crash in February 1992. The plane, an overloaded crop duster which originated in Cuba, crashed in the Gulf of Mexico. Numerous bodies were identified from the crash, but the identity of the juvenile was unknown. District 16 staff located an obituary for the girl’s parents in a Cuban expat newspaper which provided a name for the decedent and a location for her remains.
District staff attempted to contact the cemetery without success, and a request was made to UDI for outreach. UDI staff contacted the cemetery and was provided with the exact plot location of the decedent and her parents. This information was provided to the Medical Examiner’s office for follow up in determining further steps to verify the decedent’s identity.
So I guess she is in fact Kathia Rodriguez Leon

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back