FL - Multiple Fatalities at Mass Shooting at Madden Gaming Tournament, Jacksonville, 26 Aug 2018

Unfortunately not available to those of us in the EU. Can you summarise the article pls?
From the article:

Fillings from Katz’s parents’ divorce, first filed in 2005, widely discussed his emotional and socially struggles, as well as his troubles in school. The documents note a hospitalization at Sheppard Pratt Health System in Towson for psychiatric treatment.

Katz was a 2011 graduate of Hammond High School in Howard County.

He also attended the University of Maryland previously, but was not a enrolled this semester, university President Wallace Loh said. He enrolled beginning in September 2014, and majored in environmental science and technology, a university spokeswoman said. He did not live on campus.

Natalie Gill, a former teaching assistant and graduate student at the University of Maryland, said Katz struggled and kept to himself when he was in her class in the fall 2015. She said the picture of him going around online “with no smiling” reminded her of “how he looked all the time.”

Unfortunately not available to those of us in the EU. Can you summarise the article pls?

Fillings from Katz’s parents’ divorce, first filed in 2005, widely discussed his emotional and socially struggles, as well as his troubles in school. The documents note a hospitalization at Sheppard Pratt Health System in Towson for psychiatric treatment.

Natalie Gill, a former teaching assistant and graduate student at the University of Maryland, said Katz struggled and kept to himself when he was in her class in the fall 2015. She said the picture of him going around online “with no smiling” reminded her of “how he looked all the time.”

“I knew the other students very well, but he did not open up the same way as the others did,” Gill, 27, said. “I pulled him aside and asked if there was anything I could do to help and he basically had no reaction to that.”

Peggy Marx, 52, remembers the family keeping mostly to themselves. She would invite them to neighborhood barbecues and events, but they’d never come. Some neighbors, Marx said, would comment on how they saw police cars outside the family home. Marx says the Katz family left the neighborhood nearly a decade ago, but she still remembers them. “Them being antisocial,” she said. “That’s the only thing that makes them memorable.”

BBM: Better gun laws, more access mental health care and social services, dealing with the toxic masculinity that permeates our culture, and yes, so much more.

Honestly there's so much it's overwhelming but we could try. How many lives could we save?

The USA seems to have come up with the perfect storm of creating these mass shootings it's hard to accept we're helpless at stopping them.

I'm willing to try whatever it takes to stop the madness!!!! Enough is enough.

I'm trying to find out how typical it is for someone to get psychiatric treatment at that age during a stressful event. I'm sure it's common. I did find this:

Mental Health By The Numbers
Approximately 1 in 5 youth aged 13–18 (21.4%) experiences a severe mental disorder at some point during their life. For children aged 8–15, the estimate is 13%.

One in five children (13 - 18) have or will have a serious mental illness.

Twenty percent of youth (13 - 18) live with a mental health condition

Chart:
https://www.nami.org/NAMI/media/NAMI-Media/Infographics/Children-MH-Facts-NAMI.pdf

From the article:

Katz was a 2011 graduate of Hammond High School in Howard County.

He also attended the University of Maryland previously, but was not a enrolled this semester, university President Wallace Loh said. He enrolled beginning in September 2014, and majored in environmental science and technology, a university spokeswoman said. He did not live on campus.

The signs were there.....as they usually are.

Peggy Marx, 52, remembers the family keeping mostly to themselves. She would invite them to neighborhood barbecues and events, but they’d never come. Some neighbors, Marx said, would comment on how they saw police cars outside the family home. Marx says the Katz family left the neighborhood nearly a decade ago, but she still remembers them. “Them being antisocial,” she said. “That’s the only thing that makes them memorable.”

Hmmm. That could be simple introversion, other calls on the family's time, or something more significant.

The repeated attendance of LE is interesting too.

“I knew the other students very well, but he did not open up the same way as the others did,” Gill, 27, said. “I pulled him aside and asked if there was anything I could do to help and he basically had no reaction to that.”

SABBM

That ^^^

Curious about the family dynamics.
Had the son's behavior escalated beyond their control....and the only reason for him still living with a parent was because they couldn't make him move out ?

I'm not placing blame on the parents if they did what they could.

Haven't found out if there are any siblings, either.

I don't want America to be like Europe. Recent studies have proven that Scandinavians are NOT as happy as is rumored.

Scandinavia has long had a major problem with suicide which has usually been blamed on long dark winters. There's also an undercurrent of alcoholism which is partly hidden by the artificially high booze prices resulting from government policy.

I don't want America to be like Europe. Recent studies have proven that Scandinavians are NOT as happy as is rumored. It is an honor and privilege to be born in US. America is exceptional.
Scandinavian countries are always on the top of the list for best living conditions, highest quality of life, and happiest citizens. But they are not Americans. And clearly with the mass shootings like this one Americans are certainly not the happiest people on earth. If so we wouldn't go around killing each other at the alarming rate we do. The shooter in this case, like many others, was unhappy. Very unhappy.

Maybe increasing the quality of life and overall happiness of our citizens is something else we should consider adding to the list of ways to reduce gun violence.

Curious about the family dynamics.
Had the son's behavior escalated beyond their control....and the only reason for him still living with a parent was because they couldn't make him move out ?

Or maybe given his longstanding mental health problems he was never going to be able to live independently. It's possible he was going to be a lifelong burden on one or both of his parents.

Haven't found out if there are any siblings, either.

The lack of mention of siblings struck me too.

Notes from the live presser ( )
·
• Delay was due to Sheriff talking to the family of one of the victims
• FBI and ATF also w/Sheriff and mayor
• 1:34 began receiving 911 calls later
• 2 min later police arrived
• Lockdown performed
• JSO bomb and SWAT teams swept
• 13 victims, 12 shot. 2 dead, 10 treated for GSW, one treated for non-gunshots. All 11 expected to recover from their injuries
• Suspect shot himself, not in the count of 13 victims
• Video footage shows single shooter incident, suspect
• Carried 2 handguns and extra ammo. Believe only fired 1 handgun
• Clearly targeted other gamers
• Walked past other patrons and focused on the other gamers
• Located and searched his vehicle and his Jax hotel room
• Expect to complete crime scene processing by COB Tuesday
• Still working to collect video etc
• Parents fully cooperative with FBI, provided access to all the records FBI has asked for
• FBI ongoing, all further updates will be through JSO
• This is last scheduled briefing;
• name of Hotel? He did not say which hotel, however
• He Purchased the firearms in MD (Baltimore). Legally purchased from licensed dealer
• Won’t comment on when he had the guns but had them both with him and extra ammo
• Did buy the guns recently? Yes recent but time not at the ready, perhaps bought in last 2 weeks
• 1 45 caliber and 1 9mm
• One of the guns did have aftermarket laser sight
• Motive? Yet to have a concrete motive, still working that
• Any warning signs? No comment at this point.
• How many in the building? Approx. 130-150 people
• There are prior relationships with this group as a “circuit” of people, he didn’t have insight on specific individuals
• No indication that he had planned this prior to Sunday

BBM: Better gun laws, more access mental health care and social services, dealing with the toxic masculinity that permeates our culture, and yes, so much more.

Honestly there's so much it's overwhelming but we could try. How many lives could we save?

The USA seems to have come up with the perfect storm of creating these mass shootings it's hard to accept we're helpless at stopping them.

Bbm

Potentially, tens of thousands. Every year. Especially if you combine the suicide numbers with everything else, as they should be. ♥️

Or maybe given his longstanding mental health problems he was never going to be able to live independently. It's possible he was going to be a lifelong burden on one or both of his parents.

The lack of mention of siblings struck me too.

Bbm

A burden? A “cause of hardship and distress”? Sounds like some of his problems weren’t fully within his control to begin with.

Many people not familiar with gaming don't realize how social it is. I think a lot of people think gamers are anti-social misfits and lazy potheads wearing long trench coats in the summer and that's just not the case. I think the perception has gotten a lot better in the last few years, but it's still a common perception. From what we are learning DK wasn't very social and because of that he stood out at the tournaments. I'm willing to bet the people he played with online noticed his lack of social skills as well.

Scandinavian countries are always on the top of the list for best living conditions, highest quality of life, and happiest citizens. But they are not Americans. And clearly with the mass shootings like this one Americans are certainly not the happiest people on earth. If so we wouldn't go around killing each other at the alarming rate we do. The shooter in this case, like many others, was unhappy. Very unhappy.

Maybe increasing the quality of life and overall happiness of our citizens is something else we should consider adding to the list of ways to reduce gun violence.
Not to forget the unhappy ones who self-medicate.
Approximately 71,568 predicted drug overdose deaths were reported for the 12-month period to January, a jump from 67,114 predicted deaths from drugs in January 2017, according to newly released data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There are even more suspected deaths, which are still being investigated.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back