FL - Pedestrian bridge collapses at Florida International University, Miami, 2018

^ from your link:

In 2012, Figg was cited by the Virginia Department of Labor for four violations after a 90-ton piece of concrete fell from a bridge under construction near Norfolk, Virginia, according to media reports.

Senator Bill Nelson said he was told 6-10 deaths.

*Live interview on MSNBC.

ETA: On FoxNews a person on site says there are approximately 20 vehicles under the bridge.

moo

Fox News reporting there was a stress test underway when the bridge collapsed.

(live tv)

Fox News reporting there was a stress test underway when the bridge collapsed.

(live tv)

I seriously can't believe they did this with the road open. Someone is going to be in serious trouble.
Prayers to all the people whom have just lost loved one's and their lives turned upside down.

Heartbreaking

That span.....my first thought as an architect.....why not a suspension bridge?
Too much compression and weight.....ugh.
Wondering what the cause was.....workmanship? concrete quality? engineering miscalculation?

Those poor people, going about their lives....

I can’t link on ipad, but I read that this pedestrian bridge was a special type of construction. I think the article said it was constructed in two weeks. As an architect you might be interested. Thanks.

Good to see that this area is a good ways out from the Little Havana area of Miami. I have family in that area, waiting on text back.

[h=1]Miami pedestrian bridge collapses, killing several people, crushing cars[/h]
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...university-cars-trapped-underneath/429061002/

A newly installed 950-ton pedestrian bridge at Florida International University collapsed Thursday, crushing vehicles on a busy highway below and killing several people, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

“There are several fatalities,” Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Alex Camacho told reporters at multiple media outlets.

MCM Construction, the Miami-based, family-owned company that built the bridge, issued a statement on its Facebook page saying its "thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy."

It said the bridge was under construction and "experienced a catastrophic collapse causing injuries and loss of life." MCM pledged to cooperate fully with investigators to determine what went wrong.

Fox News reporting people who believe they have family under the bridge are meeting with clergy in a room at the university. Can't imagine the wait...

I wonder how they know what cars are under it? Maybe it's that no car would be completely buried????

I wonder how they know what cars are under it? Maybe it's that no car would be completely buried????

Some have tags visible...but apparently there are some that are pancaked. I'm not sure they have a count of vehicles yet.

moo

Press conference starting soon on Fox News.

Multiple victims. Search dogs are currently "working the pile".

(live press conference)

Fire/Rescue reports they found 8 vehicles under the bridge.

Watching the footage on CNN. They are saying the bridge was designed to withstand a Category 5 hurricane and is made of self-cleaning concrete. Described as an “engineering marvel”. Confirming one death at this time. Six people taken to the hospital. Presser going on now.

Listening to Orlando News Ch 9- Bridge was constructed Sat. 3/10 and lots of bragging that it only took 6+ hours
to put in position.
News conference now-

Full search and rescue now
multiple fatal victims
8 trapped vehicles under bridge
8 victims taken to hospital

homicide bureau and state attorney coming in....good

Listening to Orlando News Ch 9- Bridge was constructed Sat. 3/10 and lots of bragging that it only took 6+ hours
to put in position.
News conference now-

Full search and rescue now
multiple fatal victims
8 trapped vehicles under bridge
8 victims taken to hospital

6 hours? It takes longer than that to construct a decent toy bridge out of Legos. What an absolute travesty. All to save money no doubt.

Now they have the nerve to try to muzzle the media? I get the next of kin notification, but something tells me they are just in CYA mode.

6 hours? It takes longer than that to construct a decent toy bridge out of Legos. What an absolute travesty. All to save money no doubt.

Apparently some new type pre-fab construction. Heck, we build office bldgs. out of concrete tilt-wall construction, poured walls on ground, let cure, use crane to lift into place and BAM, bldg goes up in days.

dog allerting

I have been watching and wondering why they have just been standing around all this time...not really digging out like you see with tornado or earthquake situations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back