FL FL - Rockledge, BlkFem UP2312, 21-30, shot in the head, Oct'80

Good chance of id her since there are mugshot photos of her still alive. Recently another woman was identified after appearing on a mug shot. Anybody know her?

Good chance of id her since there are mugshot photos of her still alive. Recently another woman was identified after appearing on a mug shot. Anybody know her?

It’s eerie seeing the mugshot knowing that (if I’m reading the sign correctly it I think it says 09-04-80) she was murdered just over a month after it was taken.

Mugshot, someone must remember her name?

Original

Original

Posted on DNA Doe Project Facebook page about 6pm EST.

DNA Doe Project

DNA Doe Project Case Announcement: Rockledge Jane Doe – Brevard County, Florida (1980)

Who was Rockledge Jane Doe?
On October 11, 1980 a passing motorist found the body of a black woman on the east shoulder of an isolated rural road about 100 yards north of Barnes Boulevard in Rockledge, Brevard County, Florida. She had been shot in the head and the case is considered a homicide. She was 21-30 years old, weighed about 120 pounds, was 5’6, and had brown hair and eyes.

During the search for the woman’s identity the investigators discovered that she had been arrested in Pinellas County, about 150 miles to the west. The name she gave when booked was “Joanne English”, which turned out to be false, along with her Social Security number and date of birth. DNA, fingerprints, and dental records are available for comparison.

NamUs: UP2312
Date found: 11 Oct 1980
Race: Black/African American
Sex: Female
PMI: 1 day

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:
Brevard County Sheriff’s Office
Joseph Martin
321-633-8419
joseph.martin@bcso.us
Brevard County Sheriff's Office, Florida (Official)

Links to More Information:
Identify Rockledge Jane Doe!
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
JANE DOE - ROCKLEDGE, FLORIDA | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Image Credit: Pinellas County Sheriff's Office

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project. As always, we ask that commenters remain respectful to our Does and their families.

Please continue to advocate for transfers to FTDNA and gedmatch.com opt-IN.

#DNADoeProject
#RockledgeJaneDoe
#BrevardCountyFlorida #JaneDoe1980
#GEDmatchOptIn #OptIn

Rockledge jane doe is included in DNA Doe Project's google drive of sample cases. This is going to be possibly one of their hardest cases yet. She has just 36 matches in GEDmatch that can be seen, none of which are high matches. For context, the other does in the sample document have 222, 415, 1091, 1551, 1625, 2897, 4173, 4465, 4487, 4725, 7465, 9884, 18533, and 19710 matches, from least to most. 36 is a tiny number of matches. Rockledge's top match is just 25cM, which is the lowest of any top match out of these cases. They're going to really struggle. I have trust in DDP though. Even if it takes months or years, someday a good match will crack it. I'm hopeful that even the added publicity from DDP taking on this case will help... since we have a real picture of her and not a recon, anyone who knew her and comes across an article about her will recognise her.

Rockledge jane doe is included in DNA Doe Project's google drive of sample cases. This is going to be possibly one of their hardest cases yet. She has just 36 matches in GEDmatch that can be seen, none of which are high matches. For context, the other does in the sample document have 222, 415, 1091, 1551, 1625, 2897, 4173, 4465, 4487, 4725, 7465, 9884, 18533, and 19710 matches, from least to most. 36 is a tiny number of matches. Rockledge's top match is just 25cM, which is the lowest of any top match out of these cases. They're going to really struggle. I have trust in DDP though. Even if it takes months or years, someday a good match will crack it. I'm hopeful that even the added publicity from DDP taking on this case will help... since we have a real picture of her and not a recon, anyone who knew her and comes across an article about her will recognise her.
I suspect she is from the Tampa area. Pinellas County is directly across the state, 2 1/2 hours away. What better way to dispose of a body than to zip across the state on I-4, a well traveled thoroughfare, plus it had some very rural areas at the time. Then jump on SR528, known as the “Beeline” which was very, very rural at the time. If she had a history of being arrested, it likely wasn’t on the east coast.

This is partly because of the opt in on gedmatch and the fact that fewer blacks upload then whites. Ironically she's the only case on dnadoe where there is a actual photo of the jd. A few years ago another black unidentified woman from NY with a mugshot available was identified but not through geneology.

Posted 2/7/2020

Florida's Unidentified

Age 25 years old
Hair Brown/Red
Eyes Brown
Height 5'6"
Weight 120 pounds
Sex Female
Race Black
Details:

On October 11, 1980, the body of an unidentified black female, approximately 25 years of age, was recovered near Murrell Road, an isolated rural road, in Rockledge, Florida. The victim was wearing a red Pringles Chip t-shirt, blue jeans, and white shoes. Dental records, fingerprints, and DNA are available for comparison.

During the investigation, records from the Pinellas County Sheriff's Detention Center identified the victim as possibly being "Joanne English" (as shown in the photograph above). However, authorities have determined that the victim provided a false name; Joanne English, SSN, and DOB at the time of her incarceration.

Submit a Tip:

If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Submit an anonymous Tip online

JANE DOE - ROCKLEDGE, FLORIDA — FBI

So many times you see people’s aliases and they’re some form of their original name or a family name. It makes me wonder why “Joanne English” and the meaning behind that name.

Rockledge jane doe is included in DNA Doe Project's google drive of sample cases. This is going to be possibly one of their hardest cases yet. She has just 36 matches in GEDmatch that can be seen, none of which are high matches. For context, the other does in the sample document have 222, 415, 1091, 1551, 1625, 2897, 4173, 4465, 4487, 4725, 7465, 9884, 18533, and 19710 matches, from least to most. 36 is a tiny number of matches. Rockledge's top match is just 25cM.....

Still only at 43 matches with the top still only 25cM. Still one or two distant relatives are added each update, which will help to eventually build out a tree. Maybe not enough to pinpoint her exact place on the tree but maybe enough to steer investigations. I hope her FTDNA file comes up with more but suspect @MarziPanda is correct and this one is for the long haul. Her Admixture report recently released on the DDP spreadsheet is attached below.

upload_2020-10-13_17-33-13.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back