Identified! FL - St. Petersberg, human head found on side of road, July 7, 2020 *Donald Edward Coston

The Medical Examiner's office is probably too busy with regular deaths, C-19 deaths and crime related deaths to get to this head. If it was so unrecognizable that they couldn't determine race or gender, it must be a skull. I think it would take dentals or DNA to solve.

No information on whether the head was severed by a tool or an animal. While it may have been moved to the location by an animal I find it unlikely if they couldn't find any other body parts in the area. If the head was very decomposed to the point of putrefaction, wouldn't this deter animals?

Decomposed Human Head Found By St. Pete Jogger: Police

this link sorta describes the neighborhood. could the head have been tossed from the overpass?

It's a bit too far away from the overpass but 31st St is a straight shot over from 34th St which is a very busy road which is also called Hwy 19.

I have a place in Florida in Gulfport not too far away from here. I use this route many times on my way to Aldi on 34th St. S.

There's a few seedy areas around there from malls that closed back in the recession and never really opened again except for the odd store. Lots of people hang out in cars in the parking lots and you see some beggars on the corner of 22nd Ave and 34th St.

There are some nice neighbourhoods there too, like Maximo and Broadwater.

I believe this is the Namus page for this UID

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

They’ve narrowed him down to an adult black male, but not much else to go on.
There must have been enough soft tissue to determine the gender and ethnic origin. That is odd that no other parts of the remains were found nearby. Really makes it puzzling for sure. There are some homeless in the area. They should interview them to see if anyone can think of a gentleman who they don't see around anymore.

Circumstances of Recovery
Decomposing human head found on roadside located at the 3200 block of 38th Avenue South in St. Petersburg, by person who was known to walk in that area. No other human remains found at scene.

Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains
Torso not recovered
One or more limbs not recovered
One or both hands not recovered
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

In April 2019 Leonard Jerome Mitchell disappeared from his school which is located just 6 minutes away in Gulfport. I wonder when was the last time anyone has seen him in St. Petersburg and whether that time frame fits with this decomposing skull? The ME estimated these remains as adult. Leonard was 16 in April 2019.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) - No photo.
Circumstances of Disappearance - Mitchell was dropped off at Hamilton Disston School,in Gulfport, Fl 33707, on 4/02/2019, at 1330 hours. Mitchell left campus a shortly after that. Mitchell was seen by his family on several different occasions in St. Petersburg, Fl, but has not been able to be located by police.

There must have been enough soft tissue to determine the gender and ethnic origin. That is odd that no other parts of the remains were found nearby. Really makes it puzzling for sure. There are some homeless in the area. They should interview them to see if anyone can think of a gentleman who they don't see around anymore.

Circumstances of Recovery
Decomposing human head found on roadside located at the 3200 block of 38th Avenue South in St. Petersburg, by person who was known to walk in that area. No other human remains found at scene.

Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains
Torso not recovered
One or more limbs not recovered
One or both hands not recovered
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Initially, I wondered if the heavy rains that occurred in that area over several months could have unearthed some old graves in cemeteries and an animal dispersed the remains. But I don't know of any cemeteries in that immediate area. There is one up on 22nd Ave but that's too far away. And anyway, what kind of animal would be big enough to drag or pick up the decomposed remains of a human head. Only a big dog, a really big dog, IMO, and that's a stretch.

I went to the Dollar Tree on 34st the last time I was in the area (I live in Ontario) and there were quite a few people who appeared homeless to me hanging around the store. A man was lying on the ground outside and people just walked around him. One woman called the cops. He appeared to be very sleepy rather than ODing. The woman at the cash actually locked the door to the store to stop people coming in and stealing stuff right under her nose while she was checking people's purchases out. So there is a bit of drama in the area.

If the head was attached to a body recently it couldn't be too far away. I wonder if there are any vacant homes around where a homeless person could have expired. It's quite a mystery.

Initially, I wondered if the heavy rains that occurred in that area over several months could have unearthed some old graves in cemeteries and an animal dispersed the remains. But I don't know of any cemeteries in that immediate area. There is one up on 22nd Ave but that's too far away. And anyway, what kind of animal would be big enough to drag or pick up the decomposed remains of a human head. Only a big dog, a really big dog, IMO, and that's a stretch.

I went to the Dollar Tree on 34st the last time I was in the area (I live in Ontario) and there were quite a few people who appeared homeless to me hanging around the store. A man was lying on the ground outside and people just walked around him. One woman called the cops. He appeared to be very sleepy rather than ODing. The woman at the cash actually locked the door to the store to stop people coming in and stealing stuff right under her nose while she was checking people's purchases out. So there is a bit of drama in the area.

If the head was attached to a body recently it couldn't be too far away. I wonder if there are any vacant homes around where a homeless person could have expired. It's quite a mystery.
I’m wondering if the summer rains overflowed a retention pond nearby. I’d have to zoom in on the area to see if there are any wetlands or low areas that could have drained over to where the head was found.

I believe this is the Namus page for this UID

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

They’ve narrowed him down to an adult black male, but not much else to go on.

Very good to see they made a reconstruction that quick.

Thumbnail

That almost looks like a booking photo. Is he blind or have low vision in one eye?

Looks like this man had a previous injury to his ocular and cheek bones. He may have had plates or screws to repair the damage still attached to his skull. He may have been blind in one eye, since it is a major injury. JMHO...

RIP Mr. Coston!
Donald-Coston.png
Head found by jogger in St. Pete identified as 80-year-old man | WFLA

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) — Police say they’ve identified a man whose head was found last summer in St. Petersburg by using DNA evidence.

The human head was found on July 7, 2020. Police say a jogger found it near the intersection of 38th Avenue South and 31st Street South and called 911.

The St. Petersburg Police Department now, nearly 10 months later, they’ve identified the head as that of Donald Edward Coston. Coston was 80 years old at the time and would have been 81 on July 24 of last year.

Police say Coston’s cause of death is still under investigation.

“We have little information about the last few days of his life,” a spokesperson said. “We strongly encourage anyone with details on his whereabouts in early July 2020 to contact us.”

Anyone with information is asked to call (727) 893-4823. Anonymous tips can also be sent via text message by texting TIP-411 with the letters SPPD with the tip information.

Where was Donald living last? What was his mailing address?
What about his Social Security and maybe food stamps or any monthly benefits he may have.
Are they still being issued and cashed by someone?
Following a money trail could possibly be help in finding the person responsible for his death.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back