GUILTY FL - Stefano Riccioletti, 49, killed by drunk driver, Miami Beach, 28 Jan 2013

I'm a little confused by what I have read. The Party Princess was underage, working as a bartender, processing an id of someone else who was over 21, and drinking at her place of employment (Nikki Beach) and very drunk.

Was she "on the clock" (working) that night? Is it legal for someone under 21 to serve drinks in Florida? (it isn't here in California). Was she employed at Nikki Beach under her real name or the name (and age) of the person who's id she processed? <snip>

From a statement made by the lawyer for the victim's family, it seems like she was on the clock:
"She was serving alcohol and she was drinking, and when you leave the premises you have to check out with your manager, and they had to know that she had been drinking," attorney Carlos Silva said. "They know that she drinks there. This is not a first time for her.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...ie-tomica-sued-son-hit-and-run_n_2646007.html

That article also includes an official statement from the club's owners which certainly makes it sound like they knew who she was (as opposed to using the name on her fake ID). IMO.

You only have to be 18 to be a bartender in FL. But you have to be 21 to drink. I don't think there is certification required in FL (e.g. attend bartending school and achieve a certificate). But employees are required to take the Responsible Serving training, which an employer can do.

Karlie Tomica wants permission to attend church service on Sunday mornings. Gee, I wonder how many Sunday mornings she spent at church before the hit and run? Call me cynical, but I think she's trying to kill two birds with one stone: look all pious and reformed for her trial, and enjoy extra time out of the house. She wants four hours for church.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...sion-To-Attend-Church-Attorney-203268281.html

Also, the discovery process has been pushed back. Lawyers due back in court on Aug 26.

Well, well, well... look what a review of the security footage from Nikki showed - a bartender pouring herself a drink while on duty:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/05/31/nikki-beach-bartender-fired-when-video-captures-her-drinking-on-the-job/

All they've seen of Karlie so far is her stumbling while on her way out, but they say it was just a "misstep" from the weight of her backpack. If she wasn't drinking at work, where did she get the time to consume that amount of alcohol between leaving and getting behind the wheel of her car?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lk-students-reckless-behavior-times-year.html

Self-styled 'party princess' jailed for four years for DUI death of Florida chef and ordered to talk to students about her reckless behavior five times a year

From Blondie's link:
Tomica could have faced more than 50 years in prison, but the widow of her victim intervened, saying her husband would not have wanted revenge, according to the Miami Herald.

Patrizia Pesce told her: 'He was a big believer in second chances. What will you do with this opportunity? Will you waste it or will you dedicate your life to improving the lives of others, not destroying them?'

This hits home to me right now. I lost a dear old friend to a drunk driver a few months ago, and also have a family member who is currently facing charges for seriously injuring some people while driving drunk. While I'm not particularly close to said family member (we have little in common and rarely see each other), I can really see both sides right now--wanting vengeance/punishment, but also understanding that maybe a person shouldn't be solely defined by the worst act they have committed.

I really, really hope this young woman takes advantage of this gift that the victim's widow has given her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back