Still Missing FL - Steven Cozzi, lawyer, Largo, 21 March 2023 *plastic surgeon arrested*

Good grief this perp is as dumb as a doorknob. That’s some deep seated rage manifesting itself into murder. He could have just fixed his financial woes by educating himself and evolving into a better human. But nope.

He might as well put his $1M house on the market now. He’s gonna need cash stat.

So sorry for Mr Cozzi, his family, and friends. The legal practice is going to take a huge hit and that’s just unbelievably sad too.

Interesting... I guess I've watched too much Better Call Saul, because I was picturing a giant office building with a huge lobby and tons of potential witnesses. Nope. This is a pretty small single-story office with a lot of shrubbery around, in what looks like an area with very little foot traffic, and a high fence separating the parking lot from the adjacent homes. Also, there are cars parked directly against the building.

Hypothetically, it would not be extraordinarily difficult for a person to move something large out a back door and directly into a waiting vehicle. It's still incredibly brazen that he would murder someone in this location and think to get away with it. So disturbing that he would not even be safe surrounded by coworkers...
Does anyone know what day of the week or time the murder happened?
Not sure of time but it was Tuesday 21st March -

On March 21, 2023, the Largo Police Department responded to a call for service in reference to a missing person. Officers learned that Steven Cozzi had left his office 1501 S Belcher Road, leaving behind his wallet, car keys, and cellphone. However, he was never seen exiting the building and left behind his vehicle.

As soon as the defendant disconnects from the court hearing, video captures the subject at the crime scene beginning to move again. Specifically, at 11:05 a.m., the subject is seen repositioning the cart by the Tundra," the affidavit read.

Officers said, via the surveillance video, the subject is seen continuing to struggle to get the cart on the bed of the Tundra.

"The victim is never seen exiting the business on surveillance," the report stated.

He is seen pulling behind him a large cart that appears to be heavy.
— Dr. Tomasz Kosowski's arrest affidavit

The Tundra was captured on a solar-powered Flock Safety camera heading to the defendant's home at 11:51 a.m. Officers said there was an image of a red bag or blanket in a cart "that appeared to contain what resembles a human body located in the bed of the truck."

By 11:58 a.m., the Tundra arrived at Kosowski's house on Seaview Drive Tarpon Springs. During the investigation, detectives said the Tundra was not registered and had an unassigned tag on it. It was sold to Kosowski back in October 2022, however, officers said he did not register the vehicle or record the title.

Investigators stated the seller recorded the sale to the state of Florida.

Later that day, at 4:58 p.m., detectives said Kosowski's red Toyota Corolla's tag was scanned by tag readers in Miami.

All this litigation over $15,000 and a bad review? $15,000 to a Plastic Surgeon is not the same as to others, I’m sorry… IMO.
I can’t believe he thought he would get away with this…
RIP Steven - I’m so sad this happened to you.

1679931905707.png
''This photo provided by the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office shows Dr. Tomasz Kosowski, who was arrested on a first-degree murder charge Saturday, March 25, 2023, by Largo Police, in Florida. The Tampa-area plastic surgeon is accused of killing a lawyer missing since last week from a firm that represents former co-workers the doctor has been suing in a business dispute. (Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office via AP)''

Thank you for this. I’m still confused - did P1 complain because of the work he had done? As in, the results were bad?

If so, how does him doing bad work relate to the people he’s suing? Not sure how that ties in with reimbursement…
It sounds like there were multiple procedures involved and Kosowski did several of them assuming he would be reimbursed by Medicare. Once he realized that wasn't the case, he refused to continue with the remainder of the surgeries. Which obviously angered the patient.

Why wouldn’t he know he needs a prior authorization anyway… odd…
This is certainly bizarre. How can a doctor working in the U.S. healthcare system not realize that he needs to get pre-authorization before a non-emergency procedure. Not just Medicare, pretty much every insurer would require this. I know this, simply because it's written on the back of every insurance card I've ever carried.

It sounds like there were multiple procedures involved and Kosowski did several of them assuming he would be reimbursed by Medicare. Once he realized that wasn't the case, he refused to continue with the remainder of the surgeries. Which obviously angered the patient.

This is certainly bizarre. How can a doctor working in the U.S. healthcare system not realize that he needs to get pre-authorization before a non-emergency procedure. Not just Medicare, pretty much every insurer would require this. I know this, simply because it's written on the back of every insurance card I've ever carried.
Ok thank you for the clarification. I was a bit confused.
And yes your insurance is looked at prior to any procedure that is not an emergency situation.

All this litigation over $15,000 and a bad review? $15,000 to a Plastic Surgeon is not the same as to others, I’m sorry… IMO.
I can’t believe he thought he would get away with this…
RIP Steven - I’m so sad this happened to you.
I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually learn that despite Kosowski's high earnings he was in deep financial trouble, whether because of overspending, gambling, bad stock picks, etc.

And it seems he recently realized that not only would he probably lose his case, he would also have to at least partially reimburse the defendant for legal fees. Money which he may not have had.

Was this guy going to kill everyone involved? Because his problems wouldn't end with this very capable attorney. They might have to look back and see if he lost any patients.... this dude is unhinged with a scalpel. Tragic and ignorant. Him targeting this one person in the sea of people he felt wronged by doesn't make sense, to me.

I deal with online reviews. The inaccurate ones designed to hurt your business are maddening. But your good work usually makes up for it. You just keep moving on.

Interesting... I guess I've watched too much Better Call Saul, because I was picturing a giant office building with a huge lobby and tons of potential witnesses. Nope. This is a pretty small single-story office with a lot of shrubbery around, in what looks like an area with very little foot traffic, and a high fence separating the parking lot from the adjacent homes. Also, there are cars parked directly against the building.

Hypothetically, it would not be extraordinarily difficult for a person to move something large out a back door and directly into a waiting vehicle. It's still incredibly brazen that he would murder someone in this location and think to get away with it. So disturbing that he would not even be safe surrounded by coworkers...
Does anyone know what day of the week or time the murder happened?
BBM because I don't think it's possible to watch too much BCS! However, I agree that the office setup is nothing like what I'm accustomed to, and I'm guessing that alley between the buildings would be a way to get out with less chance of being seen. I'm really grateful there were cameras there!

Could it be that TK assumed the medical facility/center where he worked would "handle" his necessary requirements as a Medicare (or other insurance) provider/participant??

Did anyone else read the "earlier" malpractice claim against TK (and the center where he was employed). From the little bit of reading I did, it seems some of the medical forms etc were not provided to that patient (which would also be a standard "business" part of a medical practice) as well as other errors.

Could it be that TK assumed the medical facility/center where he worked would "handle" his necessary requirements as a Medicare (or other insurance) provider/participant??
It seems like the crux of his case was that he hired a medical biller (recommended by the facility where he worked) to handle all this, but the biller didn't do her job properly. Even if that's true, it doesn't absolve him of his own responsibility to make sure everything was in order before starting any procedures.

Apparently he wasn't even an approved Medicare provider. I would think a medical professional with 16 years experience would know that he can't just bill Medicare without being on their provider list. Dealing with laws and regulations is just part and parcel of the job. Just like a bartender has to know the law requires them to check IDs and cut off patrons who seem inebriated.

It seems like the crux of his case was that he hired a medical biller (recommended by the facility where he worked) to handle all this, but the biller didn't do her job properly. Even if that's true, it doesn't absolve him of his own responsibility to make sure everything was in order before starting any procedures.

Apparently he wasn't even an approved Medicare provider. I would think a medical professional with 16 years experience would know that he can't just bill Medicare without being on their provider list. Dealing with laws and regulations is just part and parcel of the job. Just like a bartender knows the law requires them to check IDs and cut off patrons who seem inebriated.

I absolutely agree... it would remain the physician's responsibility! I certainly didn't mean it in that way. :)

Not much new in this article, but it was posted yesterday morning:

Pinellas plastic surgeon arrested for murder in case of missing Largo attorney, Steven Cozzi

When officers arrived, they discovered that the only unsecured entrance to the building was the main lobby doors, monitored by external surveillance. While reviewing surveillance, officers learned that a grey Toyota Tundra arrived at the office building at 8:32 a.m.

At 8:34 a.m., an unidentified white male is seen entering the building wearing gloves, carrying a large box, and wearing a large backpack. Cozzi arrives at the building at 8:37 a.m., wearing a red sweater.

At 10:22 a.m., the subject, who has a similar build to the first subject and is wearing the same backpack, exits the building and appears to have changed clothes. He is seen pulling behind a large cart that seems heavy and has a red bag or blanket. It should be noted that the subject struggled with the weight of the cart while transporting it to the Toyota Tundra.

Cozzi missed a 10:30 a.m. telephonic court hearing that was supposed to be held with the defendant. Kosowski attended the telephonic hearing from 10:28-11:04 a.m.

As Kosowski disconnects from the court hearing, video captures the subject at the crime scene beginning to move again. Specifically, at 11:05 a.m., the subject is seen repositioning the cart by the Tundra.

The subject is later seen struggling to get the heavy cart into the truck’s bed on surveillance. Cozzi is never seen exiting the business on surveillance.

It is almost like this idiot didn't care if he was caught! How tragic! I hope he will give up the location of SC's body, his husband and family deserve that much!

There was an arrest for first degree murder this morning. Not sure if it’s related, but there’s a connection with the law firm. Pinellas plastic surgeon arrested for 1st-degree murder by Largo Police - IONTB

Hoping it’s not connected and thinking of his family and friends.

From that article, some shocking details:
[snip]

When officers arrived, they discovered that the only unsecured entrance to the building was the main lobby doors, monitored by external surveillance. While reviewing surveillance, officers learned that a grey Toyota Tundra arrived at the office building at 8:32 a.m.

At 8:34 a.m., an unidentified white male is seen entering the building wearing gloves, carrying a large box, and wearing a large backpack. Cozzi arrives at the building at 8:37 a.m., wearing a red sweater.

At 10:22 a.m., the subject, who has a similar build to the first subject and is wearing the same backpack, exits the building and appears to have changed clothes. He is seen pulling behind a large cart that seems heavy and has a red bag or blanket. It should be noted that the subject struggled with the weight of the cart while transporting it to the Toyota Tundra.

Cozzi missed a 10:30 a.m. telephonic court hearing that was supposed to be held with the defendant. Kosowski attended the telephonic hearing from 10:28-11:04 a.m.

As Kosowski disconnects from the court hearing, video captures the subject at the crime scene beginning to move again. Specifically, at 11:05 a.m., the subject is seen repositioning the cart by the Tundra.

The subject is later seen struggling to get the heavy cart into the truck’s bed on surveillance. Cozzi is never seen exiting the business on surveillance.

[snip]

On March 25, 2023, Kosowski returned to Pinellas County and was stopped by the Tarpon Springs Police Department. A search warrant was served on the Corolla. During the search, a ballistic vest was found in the vehicle’s trunk with a substantial amount of blood on it. Red fibers were also located on the ballistic vest as well as white fibers. A bag containing masks, a taser, brass knuckles, duct tape, and intravenous sedatives, including succinylcholine (paralyzing agent) with syringes, was found on the passenger floorboard of the vehicle.

[snip]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back