FL FL - Theresa Hartley, 66, lost in Ocala National Forest, vehicle got stuck w/friend, friend went for help, Theresa gone when returned, 10 March 2023

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
66-year-old Theresa Hartley

66-year-old Theresa Hartley (Marion County Sheriff's Office)

MARION COUNTY, Fla. – Marion County deputies are searching for a 66-year-old woman who was last seen on March 10, according to a release from the sheriff’s office.

Deputies said the woman, Theresa Hartley, was last seen in the area of North Forest Road 88 around one mile south of North Forest Road 66 in the Ocala National Forest, near Lake Delancey

Hartley was with a friend in the woods when their vehicle became stuck, and Hartley was advised to stay with the vehicle while her friend went out for help, deputies said.

According to the sheriff’s office, when the vehicle was found by her friend, Hartley was no longer with the vehicle.

Deputies said that it’s possible Hartley has a mental condition and may have become lost in the woods. As a result, law enforcement is concerned about her safety.

Anyone with information on Hartley’s whereabouts is urged to call 911.

Why was there not a public announcement until she had been missing for one week?

Marion County Sheriff Facebook:

1679038573947.png

Gosh I hope they're continuing to look with dogs, drones, ATVs, etc. It is a vast area and so many risky things like wildlife, for her to stumble upon.

Authorities say that she was traveling with her friend when their car broke down. Her friend told her to stay in the vehicle while she looked for help.

When her friend returned to the car, Theresa was nowhere to be found.

She has a mental condition and she's in danger but the public is only finding out about it a week later? Make it make sense. o_O

I'm so concerned about anyone lost in the Ocala National Forest. It's such a beautiful area, but there are also some quite dangerous elements, IMO, including wildlife and quite a few homeless camps/tent cities that I have seen where I would not want to go wandering alone.

The Ocala National Forest is vast, dense, and much of it lacks any cell signal. This is very concerning.
My thoughts exactly!!!! My ex went on a 7 day hike through there and I can tell you, most of the areas have no cell phone service and there are a lot of people who randomly camp/hike/live out there in the middle of nowhere.

On the Marion County Sheriff's Facebook post, there are a ton of comments. The "I left her in the car" story doesn't pass the sniff test. JMO

Did the car really get stuck and was it pulled / towed from where it was located? Hmmm...
Oh boy. After reading the comments on Facebook, you are correct. I'm sorry to say I don't think this ends well.

On the Marion County Sheriff's Facebook post, there are a ton of comments. The "I left her in the car" story doesn't pass the sniff test. JMO

Did the car really get stuck and was it pulled / towed from where it was located? Hmmm...
*I thought the car broke down, I was coming to ask if a mechanic worked on the car to get it started and if it really wasn’t drivable:

Authorities say that she was traveling with her friend when their car broke down. Her friend told her to stay in the vehicle while she looked for help.

Why was there not a public announcement until she had been missing for one week?

Marion County Sheriff Facebook:

View attachment 409588

Yipes. This does not sound good. The comments are alarming especially given the information from people who know her well.

"Deputies say there has been a reported sighting of someone matching Hartley’s description on the Putnam County side of the forest."

Hmmm. Based on other comments I've read elsewhere I'm not sure how much credence to give this info, but then I remind myself to never, ever give up hope. Renewed prayers for Theresa tonight!

"I can't see anyone doing anything terrible to her. She doesn't deserve anything like that," Niece Cara Hartley said. "She's talkative, she really loves animals. She's generous, she would, she would give anybody anything that they needed. She would help anybody."
Theresa Hartley was reported missing nearly two weeks ago.

According to the police report, the friend she was last seen with told police the two left Hartley's home and drove to Lake Delancy in the Ocala National Forest to collect wood when the truck got stuck. Both Theresa Hartley and the friend tried to leave the wooded area on foot to get help. The friend says he told Theresa Hartley to wait inside the truck and he would return with help. After walking for an unknown amount of time, the friend reports to the police, he called his sister who picked him up. Withlacoochee Regional Search and Rescue chief Samuel Matychak says by the time the friend went back for the truck; two days passed.

"Hsaid he just went and picked up the truck and he thought Theresa got a ride home," Search and Rescue Chief Samuel Matychak said.
The report says Theresa Hartley did not have her phone with her and says at the time, both were under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Hartley's niece says, a lot of details are not known.

"I did talk to some of her friends who had seen her more recently, and they said that she was having a lot of memory issues," Hartley said. "I don't understand how someone could leave her in the woods and then just not say anything about it. That's not how people should treat people that they call friends."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back