FL FL - Theresa Hartley, 66, lost in Ocala National Forest, vehicle got stuck w/friend, friend went for help, Theresa gone when returned, 10 March 2023

@imstilla.grandma article above mentions the vehicle was a truck, and pointing to @NeverPersonal Find page link which also mentions this, plus something else about it. Sure wish I could just post it!
It was a truck:
Theresa Hartley was reported missing nearly two weeks ago. Her roommate says he last saw her leaving her home with a friend in a white dodge pickup truck on March 10.

According to the police report, the friend she was last seen with told police the two left Hartley's home and drove to Lake Delancy in the Ocala National Forest to collect wood when the truck got stuck. Both Theresa Hartley and the friend tried to leave the wooded area on foot to get help. The friend says he told Theresa Hartley to wait inside the truck and he would return with help. After walking for an unknown amount of time, the friend reports to the police, he called his sister who picked him up. Withlacoochee Regional Search and Rescue chief Samuel Matychak says by the time the friend went back for the truck; two days passed.

The search was lead by three organizations: Withlacoochee Regional Search and Rescue, Sarasota County Urban Search and Rescue, and H.O.M.E (Helping Others Missing Everywhere.)

Volunteers will meet again Sunday morning to continue their search.

Still nothing ?
:(
Someone upthread mentioned that Theresa had pet cats and wouldn't think of leaving them ?
I doubt this will have a happy ending.
Sorry so negative; but it's just that after all of the time that's passed, one would think she'd have contacted someone by now if she was with another person ?
Imo.

“We just want to see her back home,” Cara Hartley told Dateline. “We want to see her safe and alive, but we just want — we want her back home.”

“She’s a funny, kind, sweet person,” Cara said of her aunt. “She’s always looking out for people.”
Cara and Theresa.
Cara and Theresa.
Cara told Dateline that Theresa has spent her entire life in St. Augustine, Florida. “It’s right on the water,” Cara said. “It’s really beautiful.”

Although they live in the same city, Cara said because of the busyness of life, she hasn’t spoken to her aunt for quite some time. “I haven’t spoken with her since October of [2022],” she said. “I didn’t find out she was missing until a reporter reached out to see if she was my aunt and I realized a police report had been made.”

According to Cara, the police report was made by a longtime friend of Theresa’s, Robert Markwell.

Robert told Dateline that he spoke with Theresa every day and was even helping her remodel her home in St. Augustine. “I’m at Theresa’s house sometimes, you know, anywhere from one time a day for several hours to a couple of times a day,” he said.

Robert said that he and his girlfriend were at Theresa’s house earlier in the day. “We went to Theresa’s house and continued working” on the house, he recalled. “Theresa and [my girlfriend] spent some time at the table going over paperwork.”

Robert told Dateline that in recent months, Theresa had been suffering from some memory loss problems, so they had been helping her out. “She wasn’t paying her electric bill, her water bill, so [my girlfriend] and I took over,” Robert said.

The next day, on Saturday, March 11, Robert said he went back over to Theresa’s house, but she was nowhere to be found. “She was supposed to cook a birthday cake for my girlfriend’s surprise party,” he told Dateline. A surprise party scheduled for Sunday, March 12.

“[Her]roommate told me she left with [a friend],” Robert told Dateline. He added that Theresa’s roommate told him that Theresa and the friend said they were going to stop by Robert’s house later that day, but Robert said they never showed up.

He said he also tried calling Theresa, but the calls went straight to voicemail. “I didn’t worry about it because I figured they were together and they were having fun,” he said. Robert told Dateline that he later realized that Theresa had left her phone at home

Yes, thanks. ^^^
I meant ... she was reported missing by concerned friends a week after finding out she was gone, I think the person she was with did not report her missing ?
M00.

It appears the person she left with may have some impairments of his own. Not A Fact!
Law enforcement has repeatedly said They do not suspect foul play.

Last edited:
I
Yes, thanks. ^^^
I meant ... she was reported missing by concerned friends a week after finding out she was gone, I think the person she was with did not report her missing ?
M00.

It appears the person she left with may have some impairments of his own. Not A Fact!

It's just odd that he'd take two days to return to his vehicle, knowing someone was waiting for him ?
Where did you hear he may have impairments ?
Just curious.

Bbm.
Perhaps not ?
If they think there was foul play, they maybe do not have any evidence yet.

It's just that a woman of her mobility and some health issues vanishing like that seems sus. to me.
My opinion was that she was too trusting and kind ?
Idk, but it's been too long for her not to have surfaced and I think the SAR dogs should have been able to find a scent and possibly Theresa herself by now ?
So frustrating and sad for this lady , who by all accounts was a kind and giving person !
Ugh.
Imo only.

Bbm.
Perhaps not ?
If they think there was foul play, they maybe do not have any evidence yet.

It's just that a woman of her mobility and some health issues vanishing like that seems sus. to me.
My opinion was that she was too trusting and kind ?
Idk, but it's been too long for her not to have surfaced and I think the SAR dogs should have been able to find a scent and possibly Theresa herself by now ?
So frustrating and sad for this lady , who by all accounts was a kind and giving person !
Ugh.
Imo only.
I suspect foul play . They just keep telling me they dont. I have mapped out all kinds of crazy routes and tryed to figure out why an how come it took 2 days to get the truck ,and really I have no media links so ,this post will be deleted. I think . So ..

This case ..should have been solved quick!. Evidence matched with witness statements etc..There should be phone pings Tire tracks and foot prints. The very foundation of forensics ,should be able to tell us a lot! It is hard at this point not to expect more answers .Kinda maddening . They repeatably say ,no foul play ,but LE is not sharing why they do not think foul play was a thing. That is an important detail to acknowledge ,when your trying to locate a person you care about.

Still nothing.
Almost like Theresa vanished into thin air.
I keep thinking if she was for certain at that location; they'd have found her by now ?
Walking the the woods can get tough, esp. if there aren't manicured or paved trails.
Where are you, Theresa ?

Still nothing.
Almost like Theresa vanished into thin air.
I keep thinking if she was for certain at that location; they'd have found her by now ?
Walking the the woods can get tough, esp. if there aren't manicured or paved trails.
Where are you, Theresa ?
IMO there would have been signs if she was there deceased. I’m thinking she was never there.

IMO there would have been signs if she was there deceased. I’m thinking she was never there.
yes, yes yes and more yes. None of this makes any sense. The "friend" not returning for TWO DAYS and not alerting anyone that she was supposedly stuck there is the first huge red flag.

A few dismal scenarios, though. Let's say the "friend" was very alcoholic, was drinking heavily at the time and continued to drink, experienced an alcoholic blackout and had no memory of leaving her there until later. Or was doing some type of drug and just got lost in a haze of being high.

She could have started walking back along the road that afternoon or night and suffering disorientation, dehydration, hunger, cold, just couldn't make it to a point where someone could help her get home. She may have made a wrong turn down whatever road or wandered into the woods at any point.

yes, yes yes and more yes. None of this makes any sense. The "friend" not returning for TWO DAYS and not alerting anyone that she was supposedly stuck there is the first huge red flag.

A few dismal scenarios, though. Let's say the "friend" was very alcoholic, was drinking heavily at the time and continued to drink, experienced an alcoholic blackout and had no memory of leaving her there until later. Or was doing some type of drug and just got lost in a haze of being high.

She could have started walking back along the road that afternoon or night and suffering disorientation, dehydration, hunger, cold, just couldn't make it to a point where someone could help her get home. She may have made a wrong turn down whatever road or wandered into the woods at any point.
And then nature would have alerted authorities to where she could be found IF that happened.

And then nature would have alerted authorities to where she could be found IF that happened.
You're referring to the smell of decomp or the presence of vultures circling? I'd say 98% chance yes, but she could have wandered so far down some roads and deep into the woods that she wasn't found. I don't know what kind of physical shape she was in, but how far can someone walk in three or four hours?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whirlebird
Back