FL - White House Boys, Dozier School for Boys, Marianna

Thanks for the link, shocking stuff!
''The girls’ campus is situated in Springville, whereas the boys’ is in Provo.

As highlighted by the Los Angeles Times, Paris Hilton has revealed that at the age of 17 she was woken in the night and taken by representatives of Provo Canyon School as she sobbed.

As a resident there for eleven months, the source notes that Paris was prescribed pills which made her feel “tired and numb”, while stating that she was also beaten by staff and put into solitary confinement for an entire twenty hours.

Paris claims that her phone calls were monitored, which is why she was apparently unable to tell her parents about what was going on.''

Provo Canyon School's history of abuse accusations spans ...
www.sltrib.com › 2020/09/20 › provo-canyon-schools

5 hours ago - Several former enrollees of Provo Canyon School for troubled teens describe mistreatment that ranged from isolation to use of restraints and ...
Ugh. That's the kind of stuff I read on some of the forums from past residents from many locations - and it was at least 8 years ago. At one time I had a huge file of various camps/schools and the abuses that went on, including names of personnel who moved from one to another in different states as each was shut down. They'd move elsewhere and start a new camp/school where the abuse would start all over again.

My interest began as an offshoot of my research on an adult-oriented "self help" organization that a dear friend thought was the most amazing program ever. And yeah, it turned out to be a nightmare too although she went through a couple courses and continues to defend the principles of this (IMO) harmful doctrine.

I'm sorry you were exposed to this horrific abuse. I wish all these boot camps for troubled teens were strictly regulated but apparently they are not. I know laws have changed in some states, for example some now mandate that staff includes *licensed* medical professionals such as physicians, psychologists and therapist. Other staff must have minimum training, usually at least 20 hours.

For example, Montana is one of those states but no surprise, not much has changed. There continues to be a lack of checking compliance, even after the 2007 Congressional Hearing on these programs.

Anyway, I've gone on too long. I mainly wanted to express my sorrow at your treatment and my appreciation that you continue to bring news on these places. Nothing will ever change if we remain unaware.

I'm amazed that so many years after this hit the Florida news, victim restitution is being held up in Florida's legislature. Not because Florida's too broke or too victim-unfriendly a state or that restitution for this group could be the tip of a restitution iceberg for the state. Those would all be typical Florida excuses for inaction. No, it's due to one man in power who's denying that the abuse even happened.

"The bill is being blocked by one Senator who represents the area where Dozier is located. He told us early in the session he doesn’t believe the alleged abuse occurred. 'I don’t believe for a minute that 500 people were mistreated there,' said Senator George Gainer in January." Restitution for victims of infamous Dozier boys school hits snag

I'm dumbfounded, angry, and disgusted. When the victim restitution bill was first filed, I was optimistic, but was also concerned that it would get bogged down. But I never expected it to be bogged down by abject denial. Shame on me for my naivete.

In just a few weeks I will have been posting on this thread for 12 years. 12 years reading and sharing information and evidence of child abuse at this school that I'd heard rumors about almost my entire life (I've lived in Florida since the late 1960s; even as a child, teachers and neighborhood parents would threaten kids to behave or they'd be sent to Marianna/Dozier). 12 years empathizing with victims who've had decades of suffering at the hands of officials at that place. 12 years of hoping that my state would continue to try and do the right things for this set of its citizens. And now the next step is being blocked because of someone denying that boys were even "mistreated" there, let alone abused. :mad:

I'm amazed that so many years after this hit the Florida news, victim restitution is being held up in Florida's legislature. Not because Florida's too broke or too victim-unfriendly a state or that restitution for this group could be the tip of a restitution iceberg for the state. Those would all be typical Florida excuses for inaction. No, it's due to one man in power who's denying that the abuse even happened.

"The bill is being blocked by one Senator who represents the area where Dozier is located. He told us early in the session he doesn’t believe the alleged abuse occurred. 'I don’t believe for a minute that 500 people were mistreated there,' said Senator George Gainer in January." Restitution for victims of infamous Dozier boys school hits snag

I'm dumbfounded, angry, and disgusted. When the victim restitution bill was first filed, I was optimistic, but was also concerned that it would get bogged down. But I never expected it to be bogged down by abject denial. Shame on me for my naivete.

In just a few weeks I will have been posting on this thread for 12 years. 12 years reading and sharing information and evidence of child abuse at this school that I'd heard rumors about almost my entire life (I've lived in Florida since the late 1960s; even as a child, teachers and neighborhood parents would threaten kids to behave or they'd be sent to Marianna/Dozier). 12 years empathizing with victims who've had decades of suffering at the hands of officials at that place. 12 years of hoping that my state would continue to try and do the right things for this set of its citizens. And now the next step is being blocked because of someone denying that boys were even "mistreated" there, let alone abused. :mad:

BBM Honestly, at this point I'd be more surprised by an institution like this that didn't involve abuse.

Hundreds of vulnerable and largely powerless institutionalised people, with great numbers of staff coming and going, in an era when it was difficult to really know the backgrounds of the people you were hiring, with little government oversight and very few visitors from outside? Absolutely the most perfect setting for abuse imaginable. Many years ago I worked with people in group homes who had come from various asylums and institutions that had been closed down, and all had experienced abuse or in some cases, been abusers themselves (because they were often unsupervised and allowed to do whatever they wanted).

I recommend reading this full article. Here is a list of those buried in the original cemetery. I know they have since found many many other Graves unmarked.

"The student found that the cemetery held six boys who died in the 1914 fire; 10 who died during an influenza epidemic in 1918; a boy who died after a prolonged illness in 1935; a runaway whose decomposed body was found under a private residence in Marianna in 1941; a boy found dead in the laundry after being beaten by another boy in 1949; two dogs and a peacock named Sue. He could account for 22 of the 31 graves"

They went to the Dozier School for Boys damaged. They came out destroyed.

Dick Colon, one of the White House Boys, walks through grave sites near the Dozier School for Boys in Marianna, FL.

“I'll be 77 years old. I was a 12-year-old boy when I was sent to – it was at that time called the Florida School for Boys.” Charles Fudge says on his third day at what became known as the Dozier School for Boys, he was hit 31 times with a leather strap.

“You can only imagine what that does to the bottom of a 12-year-old boy. I've lived with this for 65 years. It's something that doesn't go away and never will,” Fudge told the Senate Fiscal Policy Committee on the last day any public comment would be heard about a 2024 compensation bill.

A group of victims known as the White House Boys, all former students at Dozier, watched as the Florida House passed HB 21 on Thursday, Feb. 29.

“Thousands of young boys from across the state of Florida were sent to the juvenile detention center for over 100 years," Salzman said. "During that time there were hundreds of documented cases of physical assault, torture, rape, and even death. But the school remained open.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back