FL - Yanelly 'Nelly' Zoller, 4, dies reaching into her grandmother's purse, Sept 2017

We have WSers who are gun owners and those who are not, so please post respectfully to ALL and forego the blatant generalizations and characterizations.

:tyou:

Cruel it may be, but I hope the grandmother is charged with some sort of negligence.

I agree. And it's not cruel it's how the law should be. If she had left her granddaughter in a hot car people would expect her to be charged.

Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.
Nothing will be done, because nothing can be done about it.
Governments cannot legislate against stupidity.

So we just... throw our hands up and mourn the babies I guess? No, there are plenty of ways to prevent this, starting first and foremost with hitting irresponsible gun owners in the very pocketbook that child reached into. Hefty fines if an owner's weapon is the object that takes a life, be it on purpose or on accident. If it wasn't secured, it is the fault of the gun owner, and they should be held financially responsible, if not criminally so. All, JMO.

It could be 1350 and this a story about accidental impalement on a sword. It has less to do with the weapon and everything to do with ignorance. The child's ignorance of what to do when confronted with the weapon, and the woman's ignorance for allowing it within easy reach of a child and forgetting to have the safety on. If we all took better care of each other as a community and a society we wouldn't need a gun debate in the first place.

Another important thing to teach children at a very young age is they do not get into anyone's purse! If they want something that they think is in the purse, they go ask the owner.

It is not safe for a child to take the purse to the owner as no one knows what is in it.

Nowhere in my statement did I blame the child.

You may not have, but the two posts quoted above yours are definitely bordering on victim blaming a 4 year old looking for candy.

Again, all JMO.

This is such a sad story all around.No doubt Grandma is to blame but I can't help also feeling sorry for her.It sounded like she has helped her son raise the girl since birth so she will have to live with the guilt that her precious granddaughter is dead because of her the rest of her life.

The problem was not having a loaded gun near a child.

The problem was the irresponsible person who did not have it properly contained and most likely the poor child had not been trained on gun safety. Many women carry in their purse. If a safety is ON, the gun WILL NOT FIRE. In addition, if grandma chose her purse as the place to carry a weapon, the child should have been properly trained that grandma's purse is off limits.

My father was gunsmith. All of his children and grands, etc. knew gun safety from a very young age.
This was a four year old child. NO...she shouldn't have been "trained on gun safety". A child that young shouldn't have to deal with such an issue. She should be watching Sesame Street...not learning about our gun culture.

God we live in such a sick world.

This woman should spend at least 4 years in prison and the wall of her cell plastered with pics of this girl. When she gets out, not be allowed within a light year of a gun.

Of course none of that will ever happen. She'll become the victim in this tragedy and will be ready to buy more guns.

Another one.... At an in home DAYCARE?!

http://time.com/4960856/michigan-toddler-gun-day-care/

Police say a toddler accidentally shot and injured two other children at a home day care facility in suburban Detroit.

Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad says a preliminary investigation has revealed the toddler "accessed a handgun and the weapon discharged" about 10:20 a.m. Wednesday.

Another one.... At an in home DAYCARE?!

http://time.com/4960856/michigan-toddler-gun-day-care/

Police say a toddler accidentally shot and injured two other children at a home day care facility in suburban Detroit.

Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad says a preliminary investigation has revealed the toddler "accessed a handgun and the weapon discharged" about 10:20 a.m. Wednesday.

Here's an article with a little more information about that shooting.

Police Probe Of Toddler Shooting At Dearborn Daycare Could Go To Prosecutors Today

An investigation into the shooting by Dearborn Police is ongoing. The daycare where the boys were shot is unlicensed, according to reports.

Police were seen removing hunting rifles and other items from the home Wednesday. WDIV-TV reported that Tim Eubanks is a hunter.

i don't teach anything about guns to my kids except to never touch one. I don't want any guns in my house and to be honest, I dont want my kids in a house with guns in it. I have no issue with responsible gun ownership but THIS... is not responsible gun ownership and it happens TOOOO much.

No one who is a gun advocate has EVER said that. We advocate for gun safety.

Everybody who owns a gun or supports gun ownership is a gun advocate, and clearly from the number of these cases many gun advocates, have no clue what gun safety is.

If you really advocate gun safety, the first fact you need to know, is that statistically you are safer not owning a gun. When you choose to own a gun, that decision alone flies in the face of gun safety.

The child of a parent who does not own a gun, and who does not associate with gun owners, is totally immune to this type of thing happening. That child is 100% safe from finding a gun and accidentally being shot. That parent is a true gun safety advocate, not the gun owners.

Guns Kill Children
The overwhelming evidence that pediatricians are right and the NRA is wrong.

The overwhelming empirical evidence indicates that the presence of a gun makes children less safe; that programs such as Eddie Eagle are insufficient; and that measures the NRA and extreme gun advocates vehemently oppose, such as gun safes and smart guns, could dramatically reduce the death toll. Study after study unequivocally demonstrates that the prevalence of firearms directly increases the risk of youth homicide, suicide, and unintentional death. This effect is consistent across the United States and throughout the world. As a country, we should be judged by how well we protect our children. By any measure, we are failing horribly.

Guns Kill Children

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back