Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to eat there! The town of Frankenmuth looks like an interesting place to visit. I've visited Ann Arbor but haven't seen very much of Michigan.
Frankenmuth is often called "little Bavaria". It is a charming little town, and chicken dinner at Zehnder's is a must. We used to go a couple times a year when DD was growing up but haven't been in several years.

snipped "southwest apple radish avocado salad" - Tbone144, do tell me more.
It turned out really well. I was a bit apprehensive putting it together but I really liked it.

Started by making dressing:
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 minced garlic clove
1 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Mix well and whisk in
1/4 cup olive oil

Now add your vegetables:
12 oz radishes cut into small wedges
1 Granny Smith apple cored. I cut mine into thin wedges. It was supposed to be matchsticks but I don’t have time for that.
1/2 cup red onion thin sliced
2 avocados cut into small cubes
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup toasted pepitas
4 oz white cheese. We used Queso fresco because I had it on hand. Recipe called for cojita or feta which probably would have been good too.

It turned out really well. I was a bit apprehensive putting it together but I really liked it.

Started by making dressing:
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 minced garlic clove
1 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Mix well and whisk in
1/4 cup olive oil

Now add your vegetables:
12 oz radishes cut into small wedges
1 Granny Smith apple cored. I cut mine into thin wedges. It was supposed to be matchsticks but I don’t have time for that.
1/2 cup red onion thin sliced
2 avocados cut into small cubes
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup toasted pepitas
4 oz white cheese. We used Queso fresco because I had it on hand. Recipe called for cojita or feta which probably would have been good too.
Thank you! It sounds mesmerizing and delicious!

Happy Valentine's Day! Do you have special plans for dinner this evening? DH and I have enjoyed many lovely Valentine's Day dinners at nice restaurants over the years, but more recently, we just stay home. Restaurants are far too busy on Valentine's Day, with food and service often lacking. Most restaurants offer limited menus on Valentine's Day with a goal of turning around tables as quickly as possible. Service seems rushed, and the dinner is anything but the special occasion, romantic evening that one expects. We'll be dining at home; our menu includes 8 oz. beef tenderloins, baked potatoes, fresh asparagus, a split of pink Champagne. Cheers!

Happy Valentine's Day! Do you have special plans for dinner this evening? DH and I have enjoyed many lovely Valentine's Day dinners at nice restaurants over the years, but more recently, we just stay home. Restaurants are far too busy on Valentine's Day, with food and service often lacking. Most restaurants offer limited menus on Valentine's Day with a goal of turning around tables as quickly as possible. Service seems rushed, and the dinner is anything but the special occasion, romantic evening that one expects. We'll be dining at home; our menu includes 8 oz. beef tenderloins, baked potatoes, fresh asparagus, a split of pink Champagne. Cheers!
We stay home. I need to come up with something easy so I can put it together after work. We don’t generally celebrate so it won’t be anything fabulous. MIL made snickerdoodles so dessert it taken care of.

Happy Valentine’s Day to my foodie friends. We picked up some sea scallops to sear. I will serve them with a side of coconut ginger rice and a tossed salad. It is simple but should be tasty. The scallops came from the Dearborn Market in nearby Plymouth. They have high quality seafood.
We often do go out on Valentines Day but had been out to a couple of restaurants this weekend so home sweet home sounded good. Ps we have chocolate cupcakes for dessert.

Didn’t get to eat lunch until almost 4pm so I’m making my husband a pot of chicken noodle soup tonight. He’ll be able eat it for lunch for the rest of the week.

Have a load of fruit going in freeze dryer. 2 trays of pineapple, 1 tray of peach slices and 1 tray of blend of strawberries peaches and bananas. The peaches are really good, close second to my apple slices to eat as a snack. Grocery had mandarin oranges on sale, 5 pounds for $3. I’m going to have to figure out how to freeze dry them.

Bought some calf liver I’m thawing out to cut into small chunks for dog treats in the freeze dryer. Hoping to find a beef heart in town before I get that load going.

Someone in the 'hood had the audacity to fire up the grill late this afternoon. Now I want a steak & baked potato! No way on God's green earth am I leaving the house on Valentine's Day in search of food tho. LOL! I ate a pack of Lance cheese crackers and drank the rest of my OJ from this morning.

Yesterday I made a chocolate cream pie. I tasted the pudding after I poured it in the crust and it tasted odd. The milk was set to expire yesterday but I didn't think it was spoiled. This morning I tasted a tiny piece of the pudding from the pie. Yup, it was spoiled. Dang it. It was from Walmart. I prefer Publix's milk. It's always fresh and Walmarts never seems to be cold, even in the store. Need to tell kiddo to not buy their milk anymore. The Cool Whip is thawed and the only time I like it is on a chocolate pie. I guess I'll go buy another crust tomorrow.

We never go to restaurants on Valentine's Day. We are not shy about ordering pickup though. Tonight we ordered my favorite chicken entree and DH his favorite shrimp entree, they were a perfect treat.

When we do grill beef tenderloins/filets, I have a tasty and fast marinade to bring out the flavors in the meat. Start with red wine vinegar, little soy sauce, little olive oil, a bit of water. To that I add a couple of shakes of garlic salt (Lawry's) and some fresh ground black pepper. I only leave it in the marinade 30 minutes. Pat dry the meat before grilling.

Happy Valentine's Day to all

I ordered Lou Malnati’s pizza, we had friends over who preferred thin crust so I ordered a deep dish and a thin crust. Lou’s is my favorite Chicago style pizza but in all the years I have been eating their pizza I had never tried the thin crust.

It was really good, still prefer their Chicago style deep dish but it was one of the best thin crust pizzas I have ever had.
Love the tomato on it.
Yum.

We had take out from our favorite Chinese place for St. Valentine's Day. I've recently started ordering their fried dumplings and they are killer good with a delicious dipping sauce. Much better than the steamed ones as far as flavor. Neither their steamed nor their fried dumpling are spicy in the least. We also splurged on honey chicken, Singapore Chow Mei Fun (spicy) and chicken curry (DH's favorite, also spicy). Now we have enough food to eat at least three more times from the entrees alone.

There will be a food truck in our area this evening selling Chinese dumplings. I'm thinking of trying them. I hope they aren't spicy!
We get takeout from P.F. Chang's occasionally. Appetizers and dim sum usually have dipping sauces that might be spicy, but dumplings, crab wontons, lettuce wraps, spring rolls, etc. are not typically spicy. Hopefully, the food truck will have a variety of dumplings, and you can get some that aren't spicy. Sounds like fun. Only time we see food trucks around our 'hood is when there is some type of party and neighbors hire a food truck for catering.

We get takeout from P.F. Chang's occasionally. Appetizers and dim sum usually have dipping sauces that might be spicy, but dumplings, crab wontons, lettuce wraps, spring rolls, etc. are not typically spicy. Hopefully, the food truck will have a variety of dumplings, and you can get some that aren't spicy. Sounds like fun. Only time we see food trucks around our 'hood is when there is some type of party and neighbors hire a food truck for catering.
If you like dumplings/potstickers Ling Ling makes a very good frozen chicken pot sticker. I can get them at my local grocery store. I'm not crazy about the sauce they include, but it's so easy to make a simple teriyaki sauce.

I love to add spice to mine, I buy a chili garlic sauce. Very zippy!

If you like dumplings/potstickers Ling Ling makes a very good frozen chicken pot sticker. I can get them at my local grocery store. I'm not crazy about the sauce they include, but it's so easy to make a simple teriyaki sauce.

I love to add spice to mine, I buy a chili garlic sauce. Very zippy!
We buy ours at Trader Joe’s and make our own sauce. Along with some fresh vegetables makes a quick and tasty meal.

I went to the church this morning hoping they’d have fresh foods and boy did they ever! I told them 1 family and they gave me a 2 family size portion. Not many people were in line. I think they wanted to get the food dispersed.

I only had to toss 4 oranges & 2 avocados. An orange had split & dripped so I washed up the produce.

The whole chicken is almost thawed. It’s in the fridge until morning. I’ll roast it with an orange & bay leaves in the middle, lots of seasoning on the outside too. It’s 80+ degrees so I’m not firing up the oven now!

The ready bake steak pinwheels are thawed and look good. I’ll have to read the ingredients on the other dish, Italian chicken I think.

The bacon, turkey dogs and beef/cheese sausages went in the freezer. I did try the turkey dogs. Very bland even with mustard.

Kiddo will love that pico de gallo with the leftover Tostitos. I’m allergic to ginger and don’t think my kiddo will eat the gingerbread house. I will put it in the free food box.

I picked almost all the remaining lettuce from the garden so this salad stuff is perfect too.

Attachments

• 2276DF35-7E20-4040-B0F5-0EBA2653687F.jpeg
    2276DF35-7E20-4040-B0F5-0EBA2653687F.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 33
  • 0BF96D36-5D52-487B-B65E-52AEFD4D9D1E.jpeg
    0BF96D36-5D52-487B-B65E-52AEFD4D9D1E.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 22929834-CFCC-49F0-82A3-4517E29725C8.jpeg
    22929834-CFCC-49F0-82A3-4517E29725C8.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 25
  • 0BEFF0EA-A7C2-4CB8-B858-ECE70F3ACCFB.jpeg
    0BEFF0EA-A7C2-4CB8-B858-ECE70F3ACCFB.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 85F33C6D-6614-419B-AC2B-6B2A5B844040.jpeg
    85F33C6D-6614-419B-AC2B-6B2A5B844040.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 32
We ended up ordering takeout from P.F. Chang's last night. It's been a while since the last time we ordered from Chang's, and they have added some new "bowls" options (lunch portions). I got the Crispy Honey Shrimp Bowl with half white rice/half brown. I also ordered a single veggie spring roll that is my favorite item at P.F. Chang's. DH had the Chicken Lo Mein entree.

Tonight we are having grilled orange roughy with roasted broccoli and carrots. After several days of nearly record high temps, we are under a winter storm watch later today and early tomorrow. Rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow in the mix along with chilly temps. We've had an unusually mild winter, but it's not over yet.

We ended up ordering takeout from P.F. Chang's last night. It's been a while since the last time we ordered from Chang's, and they have added some new "bowls" options (lunch portions). I got the Crispy Honey Shrimp Bowl with half white rice/half brown. I also ordered a single veggie spring roll that is my favorite item at P.F. Chang's. DH had the Chicken Lo Mein entree.

Tonight we are having grilled orange roughy with roasted broccoli and carrots. After several days of nearly record high temps, we are under a winter storm watch later today and early tomorrow. Rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow in the mix along with chilly temps. We've had an unusually mild winter, but it's not over yet.
We like PF Changs. Our favorite is their Kung Pao shrimp, hold the peanuts, and their handmade dumplings, and the spring rolls. Unfortunately we don’t have one in our town, so rarely get to eat there .
Darn…. this is making me hungry and it’s only 5:00 a.m. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member