Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The produce pickup has a lot of great items. We can’t eat the mushrooms and I think the cauliflower rice was leaking. I’m not sure the avocados are salvageable.

We are not big fans of asparagus. I’m going to look for a recipe to try. The prepped salads are a great timesaver. The snack packs will be helpful too.

My youngest, that currently lives with me, has Covid. So she’s not interested in food. She’s drinking juice, water, 7-Up and a little veggie soup. I’ll know when she’s better because her appetite will come roaring back.

She’s doing a good job isolating from me. I’ve been helping keep her kitten, Banjo entertained. I give him a piece of spinach every day. He’s in a crate when he’s inside because I’m allergic to cats. But we built him a room in the garage where he has to live.

Attachments

• D45EE7F5-F80F-4D8C-9CFE-71B5490A66F0.jpeg
    D45EE7F5-F80F-4D8C-9CFE-71B5490A66F0.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 24
  • 1C1B8E84-4AE9-4CF6-ACC4-26D6412606D0.jpeg
    1C1B8E84-4AE9-4CF6-ACC4-26D6412606D0.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 7115FF48-B108-4625-9ADB-8F6DD829B9D8.jpeg
    7115FF48-B108-4625-9ADB-8F6DD829B9D8.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 2994F498-6DC9-4B7A-9C4B-9820534D46C7.jpeg
    2994F498-6DC9-4B7A-9C4B-9820534D46C7.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 26
I’ve made it a few times. My favorite is red made with pork ribs. I have a friend who is from Mexico. He traditionally uses duck and makes it white and then stirs in the salsa to make it red or green depending upon preference. When we brought our ducks in for processing the guy asked if we were making posole so apparently it’s a thing. I’ve made green and red but not white. Good luck, it’s tasty when it’s done well and it’s still pretty good when done not as good.
My pozole turned out well, and there is a lot leftover for a couple of lunches. I didn't like the consistency and took a tip from Ina Garten's pozole recipe, adding crushed tortilla chips to thicken the soup. We're sticking with a Mexican theme and using the rest of the rotisserie chicken for enchiladas tonight.

We took advantage of Nino's weekend reward 20% off meat sale and got ground lamb, London Broil, butterfly pork chops, ground round, and a corned beef brisket. I'll probably make Shepherd's Pie for St. Patrick's Day and save the corned beef for another time. DH got a large Irish Soda Bread at Costco, so I'll have that for breakfast instead of croissants for a while.

We are still feeding the squirrels but will finish the 20# bag by the end of the month. We usually toss the whole walnuts out on the deck @8:00AM, and the squirrels arrive shortly afterwards. They didn't come until 9:00 on Sunday morning - must have forgotten to set their clocks forward :D

The produce pickup has a lot of great items. We can’t eat the mushrooms and I think the cauliflower rice was leaking. I’m not sure the avocados are salvageable.

We are not big fans of asparagus. I’m going to look for a recipe to try. The prepped salads are a great timesaver. The snack packs will be helpful too.

My youngest, that currently lives with me, has Covid. So she’s not interested in food. She’s drinking juice, water, 7-Up and a little veggie soup. I’ll know when she’s better because her appetite will come roaring back.

She’s doing a good job isolating from me. I’ve been helping keep her kitten, Banjo entertained. I give him a piece of spinach every day. He’s in a crate when he’s inside because I’m allergic to cats. But we built him a room in the garage where he has to live.

Last edited:
@BetteDavisEyes I'm not sure that cake sounds appealing, but the soup sure does!

I grow asparagus in my garden but ever since I learned it can be eaten raw, it rarely makes it into the house -- I'll see that a couple of stalks look ready, snip them and then snack on them right then and there...
I've had asparagus cake and find it similar to carrot cake in texture, although not as sweet. I like asparagus soup - hot or chilled - but can't eat cream-based soups any more due to lactose intolerance.

Last edited:

My favorite ways to eat asparagus is either roasted and tossed with balsamic and Parmesan and s wrapped in prosciutto or I make one on stove top with balsamic reduction and goat cheese. We also eat it broiled with olive oil, my lemon salt and pepper.

We always use fresh carrots, but I see many people buying prepackaged “baby” carrots at the store. I found out years ago that baby carrots aren’t really “baby” carrots, and it isn’t difficult to cut up regular fresh carrots.

If you haven’t ever read the story (scam?) behind baby carrots, this is a good article.
The “baby“ carrots also often tend to have a rather moldy smell. Which is understandable because they're sealed up in a plastic bag that’s almost always very wet. They never seem fresh to me.

The “baby“ carrots also often tend to have a rather moldy smell. Which is understandable because they're sealed up in a plastic bag that’s almost always very wet. They never seem fresh to me.
I often see coworkers brining those bags of “baby” carrots to work to snack on, thinking they are healthy.

Someone I see recipes that call for pre-packaged baby carrots, or see them recommended as a shortcut tip for making a quick dinner.

They have become so popular in our grocery stores that the different brands have outnumbered fresh carrots.

Attachments

• 8F55CD9A-AB44-4BE3-AB48-7620DEE9A689.jpeg
    8F55CD9A-AB44-4BE3-AB48-7620DEE9A689.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1

Thanks for the recipes! I never thought of baking a cake with asparagus. It makes sense tho because I use zucchini in quick bread. I don't think I could do soup. Just doesn't sound appealing.

I saved the cake recipe. I will switch the undrained pineapple for undrained mandarin oranges. The jury is still out on an allergy to pineapple for me. I'm not tempting fate anymore with tropical fruits. Too many scary reactions.

It has 3 cups of flour so that is a lot of batter. I will do it in my mini loaf pans. That way I can wrap and freeze some. I'm not sure I'd put any icing on it at all. My youngest can have wheat in limited quantities now. So I'll use regular flour. But if I made it for my oldest, I'd use gluten free flour.

Attachments

• Asparagus Bundt Cake.pdf
    276.1 KB · Views: 1
I agree. When we had our Jack Russell Terrier, we used to get packages of baby carrots for him. He liked the sweet veggie treat almost as much as Milk Bones. Our JRT also liked asparagus and peas. Vet was glad that our pet liked vegetables because for most of his 16 years he had to be on a low-protein diet due to a couple of bouts with bladder stones. The special diet food looked and smelled awful, but we were allowed to feed him plain grilled chicken breast or fish occasionally along with veggies that he liked.

I buy bags of larger baby carrots (Aunt Mid's brand) for crudites platters and use them in soups for uniform bite-size pieces. I use regular carrots in stews or for roasting and will use them in my Shepherd's Pie today. We like raw carrots with hummus for a healthy snack.

Last edited:
After making pozole, enchiladas, and Shepherd's Pie this past week, I told DH yesterday that I did not want to do any more cooking for a while. We had take-out fish & chips last night and will have dinner out tomorrow. We have plenty of leftovers but will have corned beef sandwiches on New York deli rye bread tonight. Other than putting it in water and boiling for 2-3 hours, there's very little prep with a corned beef brisket. If there's leftover corned beef, I'll add it to scrambled eggs.

I made biscuits and gravy this morning. I set aside some gravy without the sausage to encourage kiddo to eat. She's slowly getting better, starting to eat a little, still sleeping a lot.

Attachments

• 15AEDF5D-EBA4-4836-9905-C53A4BA7BD53.jpeg
    15AEDF5D-EBA4-4836-9905-C53A4BA7BD53.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 16
  • C99BCF33-7A01-427F-B1FA-82EE1877BAE5.jpeg
    C99BCF33-7A01-427F-B1FA-82EE1877BAE5.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 16
We made the venison and beef blend cottage pie again. DH has deemed it Lodge Pie. It’s pretty tasty and let me use the mashed potatoes and gravy leftovers. Trying to make out the grocery list for the week for shopping tomorrow. Grocery has some good produce specials so I’ll be stocking up a bit for the freeze dryer. I finally got some motivation and got 12 dozen eggs put in pans for the freeze dryer and the pans frozen. Pre-freezing helps prevent them from blowing up while processing. I still have a bunch to do, roughly 10 dozen chicken eggs left and haven’t started on the ducks or geese eggs. I watched Indiana Jones movies while doing them to try to make time go by faster. Took 1.5 movies to get through the 144 eggs. I have to break them individually into cup to check them (just in case) then I get 18 of them into food processor and pulse them about 20 times, then transfer to a large bowl to walk out to trays in the freezer. Repeat. I tried to fill the trays inside, put the lid on and walk them out to freezer but I just made a huge mess. DH asked me to mix the goose eggs with the chicken eggs to cut them a bit. Plus he wants me to freeze dry a bunch of cooked ones. I asked my brother what he thought about taking some of the packages on his next hunting trip and he said he’s on board, so maybe I’ll be able to turn this into a side hustle. Grow as much as I can, prepare and sell it. People are always telling me to open a restaurant, this seems more feasible.

I just want to acknowledge everyone who contributes here. In a site where most subjects are disturbing and sad, the shared recipes and recommendations and experiences and comradery has been a beacon of light since its very inception. You've not only taught me but continue to teach me. You've also provided a calming balm where other subjects/threads are anything but pleasant. Thank you everyone. I am grateful.

I have been lazy today. Finally got the sopa seca done for the week for lunch and it turned out pretty well. Sort of like spaghetti, with Mexican flavors. I wanted to have Korean steak tips with Napa cabbage slaw for the week but couldn’t find any Napa cabbage. Had a dream last night the produce shelves were empty so I tried not to go crazy at store today. Apples were 1.99/pound and lemons were .99 per pound so I got what I could of those and they are already in freezer. Freezing the leftovers from the veggie tray, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and celery trayed as well. Fruits and vegetables are so much easier than eggs. Dinner is skillet parsnips and pears with balsamic brown sugar glazed chicken breasts in the air fryer.

I just want to acknowledge everyone who contributes here. In a site where most subjects are disturbing and sad, the shared recipes and recommendations and experiences and comradery has been a beacon of light since its very inception. You've not only taught me but continue to teach me. You've also provided a calming balm where other subjects/threads are anything but pleasant. Thank you everyone. I am grateful.
I agree. There are a couple of cases I’m following that I just need a break on, something not so dark and this thread is a pleasant distraction between digging back into them. Thank you everyone as well.

I hope you remain well as your DD recovers from Covid.
So far so good. Kiddo went back to work this morning. She had more color and her coughing is less. I baked off 4 more biscuits this morning and she took 2 with her.

I didn’t think I’d need the Pillsbury Value Pack of 20 frozen biscuits. I usually get the bag of 12. Glad I did tho because she’s basically existed on them all week.

Before she woke up, I started the cabbage and carrots in veg broth. I cooked the green beans from the garden too. She’ll have some mild veggies tonight if she’s feeling up to regular food. If not, I’ll just keep baking biscuits & making pasta with butter for her.

I tried to do this big turkey breast in my little crockpot. It was a no go. I put it in the oven with the broth. I set the timer for 90 minutes and it’s at 350 deg. I think that should do it. I can make sandwiches and Cesar salad with it for me.

Attachments

• AF1CBD2C-D77D-48FC-9AF0-D05DC10A4E7A.jpeg
    AF1CBD2C-D77D-48FC-9AF0-D05DC10A4E7A.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4C20A0A1-DBDD-4559-8743-4A88008B4FA8.jpeg
    4C20A0A1-DBDD-4559-8743-4A88008B4FA8.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 16
  • D088F244-4F91-42F5-A77A-F3E40C84CC71.jpeg
    D088F244-4F91-42F5-A77A-F3E40C84CC71.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 16
We made the venison and beef blend cottage pie again. DH has deemed it Lodge Pie. It’s pretty tasty and let me use the mashed potatoes and gravy leftovers...
Lodge Pie. Very clever. Hunter's Pie would be good, too. My Shepherd's Pie (ground lamb, carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms, peas, gravy, topped with mashed potatoes) turned out nicely but was a bit loose when we had it on Thursday. After a couple days in the fridge, the gravy tightened up, flavors had melded together, and the leftover Shepherd's Pie was wonderful. Cooked the corned beef brisket on Saturday. We had sandwiches on delicious sour dough rye bread with yellow mustard. There's corned beef left for sandwiches or mixed into scrambled eggs. Picano's dinner leftovers for lunch today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member