Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I would say about elderberry is, don't exceed one of those little bottles a day, just to be cautious. There are trace toxins in elderberry that mean you shouldn't just guzzle loads of it at one time. It's not a problem if you only have small amounts. If the berries have been cooked out, it's not much of a problem, but if the juice is coldpressed, the traces will remain. And in case you think it's nothing to worry about, the toxins are in the cyanoid family. There are traces of cyanoids in many foods, so the existence of them isn't a problem, it's the volume. So don't dump all of them in a punchbowl or a pitcher and drink them at the same time, you might end up being ill from it.

The flavour should be lovely, though. It's quite similar, if I recall correctly, to blackcurrant.
Good info to know! I won’t be drinking any of them. I have no idea if I could even have those ingredients. My food allergies are some veggies & lots of fruits, some plants, etc.

Kiddo says she’ll drink them. But I’ll tell her to limit it to one a day. Her allergies aren't as numerous as mine.

Last edited:
Good info to know! I won’t be drinking any of them. I have no idea if I could even have those ingredients. My food allergies are some veggies & lots of fruits, some plants, etc.

Kiddo says she’ll drink them. But I’ll tell her to limit it to one a day. Her allergies are t as numerous as mine.
Tell her I'm very envious! It's a beautiful fruit, enjoyed in moderation.

I don't even know if the toxin is an issue with that particular product, I see from the ingredients list they're using a powder rather than the berries, fresh, so they may have processed them somehow to remove it, but I thought I'd warn you anyway.

EDIT: Also, if you ever come across elderflower cordial, that does not have the same issues. It's just the berries. (And other parts of the plants like the woody bits, but you don't eat those, it's just something gardeners who grow it should be aware of.)

Last edited:
@iamshadow21 do the elder flowers have the same antiviral properties as the berries?

I have taken elderberry tincture before, as a part of general "trying not to get covid or flu", and I think I've had elderberry pie, but I'm not sure I've ever had a cordial.

@iamshadow21 do the elder flowers have the same antiviral properties as the berries?

I have taken elderberry tincture before, as a part of general "trying not to get covid or flu", and I think I've had elderberry pie, but I'm not sure I've ever had a cordial.
I'm not sure! I know that the big thing about elderberries is their levels of things like vitmins to help your immune system fight off infection. I don't know what the levels of those in the flowers are.

Happy Mother's Day! Whatever your plans, I hope my foodie friends have an enjoyable day. We have no special plans other than a Comcast techie coming to check indoor wiring for an ongoing reception problem with both TVs. They replaced outdoor cable a few days ago, but the problem persists. Hopefully it gets resolved today.

DH will grill beef tenderloins and asparagus to be served with baked potatoes and a nice bottle of Chianti for Mother's Day dinner. We haven't been to Mackinac Island since before the pandemic, and I was craving Ryba's English Toffee which I always buy before we depart the island. I ordered two pounds (29.99#) and have been enjoying a few bites daily. I'd forgotten how yummy it is! I'm not crazy about fudge, but Ryba's is the best I've ever had. I ordered some fudge, too, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping on my order.

Shop - Best Fudge to Order Online - Ryba's Mackinac Island Fudge Shop

Looking forward to a mid-week trip to the nursery and planting our annuals next weekend.

Last edited:
Happy Mother's Day! Whatever your plans, I hope my foodie friends have an enjoyable day. We have no special plans other than a Comcast techie coming to check indoor wiring for an ongoing reception problem with both TVs. They replaced outdoor cable a few days ago, but the problem persists. Hopefully it gets resolved today.

DH will grill beef tenderloins and asparagus to be served with baked potatoes and a nice bottle of Chianti for Mother's Day dinner. We haven't been to Mackinac Island since before the pandemic, and I was craving Ryba's English Toffee which I always buy before we depart the island. I ordered two pounds (29.99#) and have been enjoying a few bites daily. I'd forgotten how yummy it is! I'm not crazy about fudge, but Ryba's is the best I've ever had. I ordered some fudge, too, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping on my order.

Looking forward to a mid-week trip to the nursery and planting our annuals next weekend.
I have never been to Mackinac Island, but it sounds like it would be fun to visit. And I love fudge, including maple pecan and chocolate!

Happy Mother's Day to all who are mothers or who have/had a mother!

ETA: your dinner sounds delicious!

We went to dinner at Edelweiss in Bradenton, FL. It's an old hole in the wall German restaurant. Authentic food, accordion music, cool looking beer steins. My friend and her 90 y/o Dad are German and have been going there for at least 25 years. Her Dad gets the same meal every time.

My youngest and I joined them and we both had a great meal. It was fun watching the people dance and clap to the music. The one little boy was 21 months old and just adorable when he was "dancing" along.

Our appetizer was warm pretzels with mustard. My meal was tilapia with Potatoes, Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Spinach but they were out of spinach. So they substituted green beans for me. I ate all the fish & cheese and brought most of the veggies home.

My kiddo had Tofu schnitzel with red cabbage and French Fries. Neither of us had ever had red cabbage. It wasn't bad and I was surprised it was warm. I was expecting it to be like coleslaw.

Attachments

• IMG_9779.jpeg
    IMG_9779.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9780.jpeg
    IMG_9780.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9782.jpeg
    IMG_9782.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9783.jpeg
    IMG_9783.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9784.jpeg
    IMG_9784.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9785.jpeg
    IMG_9785.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 26
I made it to north GA to my friends place. Took them to the Atlanta airport yesterday. They called me today and they had arrived in Vienna via Paris.

They took me for my favorite salad at Provinos Restaurant the night I arrived. I ordered the Angel Hair Dalvina. Those garlic rolls! It made 3 meals!!!

Now the furbabies & I are chillin’. Abby thinks she deserves my milk & cookies. Dudley is almost blind so he just kisses my leg and listens.

Bens Rice bags were BOGO so I tried the Roasted Chicken. I used 2 bags and added 1 can of black beans. It’s pretty good for an easy meal. If I had leftover chicken that would make a nice casserole.

Attachments

• IMG_9842.jpeg
    IMG_9842.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9852.jpeg
    IMG_9852.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9840.jpeg
    IMG_9840.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 16

I too love English Toffee. Though I have not tried Ryba's, my favorite fudge (by a huge margin) was found on last year's visit to Kilwins in Minocqua WI. It was so good, we bought extras to bring home to friends.

It was so good, there were no gift packages left in the car when we returned home!

I too love English Toffee. Though I have not tried Ryba's, my favorite fudge (by a huge margin) was found on last year's visit to Kilwins in Minocqua WI. It was so good, we bought extras to bring home to friends.

It was so good, there were no gift packages left in the car when we returned home!
that sounds frighteningly good.... apprently Kilwins is franchised and there is actually one near me... not sure how I missed it.

that sounds frighteningly good.... apprently Kilwins is franchised and there is actually one near me... not sure how I missed it.
I hadn’t realized that Kilwins was a franchise until just recently. I had only noticed Kilwins in a few places where we had been walking in areas with small shops during vacation.

When I looked at their website I found one only 10 miles from my house, never noticed it before. And it has been there for years.

I’ve wanted to visit Mackinac Island, since I saw the movie “Somewhere in Time” with Christopher Reeve. Loved that movie.

Last edited:
I’ve wanted to visit Mackinac Island, since I saw the movie “Somewhere in Time” with Christopher Reeve. Loved that movie.

My favorite donut shop won the overall fan favorite donut and 9 total awards. I started going to their original bakery years ago, located in the Amish area in northern Indiana. In recent years they have opened several other locations in Indiana.

Rise’n Roll Bakery absolutely cleaned up in the 2023 edition of the tour’s “America’s Greatest Donut” contest. The Indiana-based chain won “Overall Fan Favorite.” Its cinnamon caramel donut was “voted far and away the most popular donut in America” and won the “Greatest Cinnamon Sugar Donut” category. The bakery also earned top honors in numerous categories:

Greatest Cake Donut (Red Velvet)
Greatest Crime Filled Donut (Boston Cream)
Greatest Jelly Filled Donut (Lemon Jelly filled)
Greatest Old Fashioned Donut (Old Fashioned)
Greatest Unique Flavors Donut (Mocha Donut)
Greatest Unique Toppings Donut (Crunch Delight)
Greatest Yeast Donut (Cinnamon Caramel Donut)
Overall, the Underground Donut Tour touted 22 awards; Rise’n Roll won nine of them!

My favorite donut shop won the overall fan favorite donut and 9 total awards. I started going to their original bakery years ago, located in the Amish area in northern Indiana. In recent years they have opened several other locations in Indiana.

Rise’n Roll Bakery absolutely cleaned up in the 2023 edition of the tour’s “America’s Greatest Donut” contest. The Indiana-based chain won “Overall Fan Favorite.” Its cinnamon caramel donut was “voted far and away the most popular donut in America” and won the “Greatest Cinnamon Sugar Donut” category. The bakery also earned top honors in numerous categories:

Overall, the Underground Donut Tour touted 22 awards; Rise’n Roll won nine of them!
I don’t have a huge sweet tooth, but I am seriously craving donuts now.

Salivating now...

I don’t have a huge sweet tooth, but I am seriously craving donuts now.
This bakery uses real Amish butter, heavy cream, and other “real” ingredients in their donuts and you can tell.

I was working at a fire station in the Amish community when I first learned about this bakery. The firefighters told me about it, and how to find it (no address) and I instantly became a fan.

Besides donuts and cinnamon rolls they also make bread, cookies, fried fruit pies (“hand pies”) cakes, pies, also jellies, jams, Amish peanut butter, salsas, etc.

Before they opened satellite locations people used to drive from hours away to get to this bakery.

This is one of my favorites, raspberry cream. They use real fruit filling and real cream.
If I lived near a location for these donuts, I would be in big trouble! I think I'd start with that cinnamon caramel one and then I'd like to try the mocha one. Oh heck, I'd probably buy a dozen assorted donuts and share with DH, if he's lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆