Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I lived near a location for these donuts, I would be in big trouble! I think I'd start with that cinnamon caramel one and then I'd like to try the mocha one. Oh heck, I'd probably buy a dozen assorted donuts and share with DH, if he's lucky!
The cinnamon caramel donut had the nickname “Amish Crack.”

I've made this dish before and posted, but I has to post again as I've not had it for a long time and it was brilliant! Sausage tomato and marscapone pasta!

I forgot Parmasan but it really didn't need it, and I added two onions, used pasatta instead of tinned tomato, a little bit more marscapone, and added a tiny sprinkle of chilli flakes. Really tasty :)

Attachments

• 20230526_204109.jpg
    20230526_204109.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 12
My favorite donut shop won the overall fan favorite donut and 9 total awards. I started going to their original bakery years ago, located in the Amish area in northern Indiana. In recent years they have opened several other locations in Indiana.

Rise’n Roll Bakery absolutely cleaned up in the 2023 edition of the tour’s “America’s Greatest Donut” contest. The Indiana-based chain won “Overall Fan Favorite.” Its cinnamon caramel donut was “voted far and away the most popular donut in America” and won the “Greatest Cinnamon Sugar Donut” category. The bakery also earned top honors in numerous categories:

Greatest Cake Donut (Red Velvet)
Greatest Crime Filled Donut (Boston Cream)
Greatest Jelly Filled Donut (Lemon Jelly filled)
Greatest Old Fashioned Donut (Old Fashioned)
Greatest Unique Flavors Donut (Mocha Donut)
Greatest Unique Toppings Donut (Crunch Delight)
Greatest Yeast Donut (Cinnamon Caramel Donut)
Overall, the Underground Donut Tour touted 22 awards; Rise’n Roll won nine of them!
I would like one of everything please.

Today I heard this story on the radio (CBS affiliate in Chicago). I just laughed so hard... the word is out

Have a safe and Happy Memorial Day all!

Memorial Day is for recognition of our fallen warriors. God bless them and their families, one and all. Thank you for the ultimate service and sacrifice.

That said, many people celebrate Memorial Day with a barbeque as the summer's unofficial opening.

So

What is your favorite/best barbeque sauce? I prefer tangy to sweet and I'm specifically looking for your favorite recipe with the idea of using it on my own char someday soon.

Personally, I'm not a hot or sweet sauce fan but I am interested whether or not you are. Huzbun likes honey anything. I do not.

I'd also like to know your favorite/recommended commercial bbq sauce. What do you like and why? I'm still searching for the perfect sauce myself.

Oh, and bbq restaurant stand-outs are also welcome.

Thanks much, y'all. And have a memorable Memorial Day!

Things have gotten tight lately. Tighter than COVID times. Work hired a new supervisor and she has it out for husband so we are currently figuring ahead of time what to do without his income. Working with the venison in freezer and what we have on shelves. He hasn’t been fired yet but they are setting him up so I’m working hard to scrimp and save where I can. Trying to figure other things out. I made taco bake for the week with the venison. Tonight I sautéed more venison (we have about 60 pounds) with garlic, lowerys,black pepper, lime and cumin and more tacos tonight.

He’s not fired, but I’m shutting down grocery budget as much as possible. Use what we have right now. I won’t make animals suffer so we will go with less while we figure things out.

Things have gotten tight lately. Tighter than COVID times. Work hired a new supervisor and she has it out for husband so we are currently figuring ahead of time what to do without his income. Working with the venison in freezer and what we have on shelves. He hasn’t been fired yet but they are setting him up so I’m working hard to scrimp and save where I can. Trying to figure other things out. I made taco bake for the week with the venison. Tonight I sautéed more venison (we have about 60 pounds) with garlic, lowerys,black pepper, lime and cumin and more tacos tonight.

He’s not fired, but I’m shutting down grocery budget as much as possible. Use what we have right now. I won’t make animals suffer so we will go with less while we figure things out.
Sorry to hear about your husband's situation. I had a boss like that and she finally did fire me: if I hadn't lived through it I probably wouldn't believe how someone with a little bit of power could be that nasty and vengeful. It was weird because she actually hired me and in the beginning she seemed to like me, but for some peculiar reason that liking turned into something else. It all worked out because I stayed 20 years at my next job and it was awesome. Take care. Sounds like you are planning ahead and that is a good thing.

Feeding a family during a season of tight budgeting forces us to go back to basics. Everything including flour & sugar has gone up so much. You sound like you’re handling it with a proactive plan.

I was in a similar situation as your hubby. Once I was confident it was coming, I copied all the company policies & the laws they broke. At the hearing, their own lack of awareness & professionalism did them in. A few years later, I woo’d my replacement they hired to come work with me. Karma is a beautiful thing.

Whatever your plans for this weekend, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable holiday. We never travel over summer holiday weekends as roads are just too busy. We are experiencing gorgeous summer weather across Michigan, so there will undoubtedly be heavy traffic that we prefer to avoid.

I made a huge bowl of pasta salad yesterday that will last for several days. I added chunks of Genoa salami and Provolone to my usual veggie pasta salad, so it is really more like a main course. We're going to Picano's for dinner this evening and will have burgers with baked beans tomorrow.

We planted annuals last weekend, and DH put down 44 bags of mulch over the last few days. We also had to replace a rhododendron for the second time since we did a landscape update. The first replacement was still under warranty. Hopefully, the third plant will be the charm. The other three rhododendrons are thriving.

Enjoy your weekend.

Memorial Day is for recognition of our fallen warriors. God bless them and their families, one and all. Thank you for the ultimate service and sacrifice.

That said, many people celebrate Memorial Day with a barbeque as the summer's unofficial opening.

So

What is your favorite/best barbeque sauce? I prefer tangy to sweet and I'm specifically looking for your favorite recipe with the idea of using it on my own char someday soon.

Personally, I'm not a hot or sweet sauce fan but I am interested whether or not you are. Huzbun likes honey anything. I do not.

I'd also like to know your favorite/recommended commercial bbq sauce. What do you like and why? I'm still searching for the perfect sauce myself.

Oh, and bbq restaurant stand-outs are also welcome.

Thanks much, y'all. And have a memorable Memorial Day!

Whatever your plans for this weekend, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable holiday. We never travel over summer holiday weekends as roads are just too busy. We are experiencing gorgeous summer weather across Michigan, so there will undoubtedly be heavy traffic that we prefer to avoid.

I made a huge bowl of pasta salad yesterday that will last for several days. I added chunks of Genoa salami and Provolone to my usual veggie pasta salad, so it is really more like a main course. We're going to Picano's for dinner this evening and will have burgers with baked beans tomorrow.

We planted annuals last weekend, and DH put down 44 bags of mulch over the last few days. We also had to replace a rhododendron for the second time since we did a landscape update. The first replacement was still under warranty. Hopefully, the third plant will be the charm. The other three rhododendrons are thriving.

Enjoy your weekend.
Like you and your hubby, we don't travel over the summer holidays: we don't like dealing with all that heavy traffic either. The weather here in Southeast Michigan is lovely .

We planted annuals last weekend ( I should say my husband did) and he bought 25 bags of mulch yesterday. I just discovered Hydrangeas - we bought this beautiful hanging hydrangea plant. Michigan in the summer is truly beautiful.

Happy and safe holiday to all!

My friends returned from Austria this evening. They’re exhausted of course. They said the airline food was horrid as expected. I knew that would happen and wanted them to have a good meal.

I made a pork roast, macaroni & cheese from scratch, roasted green beans and roasted sugar snap peas. They were so surprised and pleased.

The pups were so well behaved for me & they were thrilled to see their pawrents!!

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9958.jpeg
    IMG_9958.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 13
Oh my goodness, BetteDavisEyes, thank you! That Nino's link is very intriguing!
I should have mentioned that we've tried all of the Northern Smoke varieties, but our favorite is the Kansas City "sweet and smoky". We like it on grilled chicken breasts and pork chops (or tenderloins). I put it in my baked beans, too.

I should have mentioned that we've tried all of the Northern Smoke varieties, but our favorite in the Kansas City "sweet and smoky". We like it on grilled chicken breasts and pork chops (or tenderloins). I put it in my baked beans, too.

Went to Nino's this morning- haven't been there for a awhile- I almost forgot what a wonderful shopping experience it was! we bought chicken kabobs, a couple steaks ( on sale) and some chicken along with a bunch of other goodies- As I walked by the pastry my husband could barely get me away from there- Nino's is just an incredible place!!!!

Went to Nino's this morning- haven't been there for a awhile- I almost forgot what a wonderful shopping experience it was! we bought chicken kabobs, a couple steaks ( on sale) and some chicken along with a bunch of other goodies- As I walked by the pastry my husband could barely get me away from there- Nino's is just an incredible place!!!!
I love my Nino's! It is truly an amazing grocery shopping experience. The staff is always friendly and helpful, and many of the Troy store's employees know us by name. We stopped for a few items on our way to dinner at Picano's yesterday.

Fish/seafood and meat counters were crazy busy, and we had to wait a while to get ground round for burgers today. While DH waited at the counter, I stood by the cheese cutting/wrapping station where a deli employee had just started slicing wheels of blue cheese. I was fascinated by the painstaking process of slicing wedges of cheese from the large wheels. A second employee wrapped each wedge in plastic, weighed, and labeled the Shropshire Blue Cheese (17.99#). After watching the woman slice all that cheese, I said that I couldn't leave without a wedge for myself :) I love blue cheese, and British varieties are especially good. I will use up another wedge of blue cheese with my burger before I open the new one. It's too hot for baked beans today, so we will enjoy Michigan asparagus with our burgers.

I’m going camping with dozens of friends this weekend, we reserved an entire section of a state park Friday through Monday. We used to arrange these large camping trips twice a year, spring and fall, but this is our first since COVID started.

Each campsite has a fire ring and grill, so we all cook different items and then share.

My speciality is breakfast. Fried potatoes and sweet onions in a cast iron skillet over a campfire, served with fresh salsa and scrambled eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member