Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going camping with dozens of friends this weekend, we reserved an entire section of a state park Friday through Monday. We used to arrange these large camping trips twice a year, spring and fall, but this is our first since COVID started.

Each campsite has a fire ring and grill, so we all cook different items and then share.

My speciality is breakfast. Fried potatoes and sweet onions in a cast iron skillet over a campfire, served with fresh salsa and scrambled eggs.
Sounds like lots of fun and fried potatoes and sweet onions sounds yummy!!!!

Sounds like lots of fun and fried potatoes and sweet onions sounds yummy!!!!
Everything tastes better cooked outdoors! My dad used to take us camping when we were kids, he cooked roast beef hash and eggs over a campfire for breakfast and it was the best.

He would take roast beef hash out of a can, fry it in a cast iron skillet then press a spoon into the hash to make some wells and drop the eggs in to cook. Then he would sprinkle diced onions and cheese over it all and serve.

I’m going camping with dozens of friends this weekend, we reserved an entire section of a state park Friday through Monday. We used to arrange these large camping trips twice a year, spring and fall, but this is our first since COVID started.

Each campsite has a fire ring and grill, so we all cook different items and then share.

My speciality is breakfast. Fried potatoes and sweet onions in a cast iron skillet over a campfire, served with fresh salsa and scrambled eggs.
My oldest does the same thing when her and her friends go camping. Because she has to eat gluten free, it’s always her basic foods that everyone gobbles up.

She asked to borrow my camping sticks that we use for marshmallows last year. Then I couldn’t find my grill skewers for kielbasa. Oops! She thought they were my camping sticks. LOL! At Christmas I reminded her to return them. I wasn’t going to cook kielbasa one bite at a time. So we switched. Her friends were happier with the longer sticks too. Ha!

The Union Workshop sounds amazing. I really need to plan a trip to Michigan.

I made my burgers tonight, they were really good! This is how I always serve them, controversial I know, but no bun! With oven chips and baked beans! I think its because i like to eat my dinner with a knife and fork! And a dob of coleslaw. Burgers were made with mince beef, breadcrumbs, onion, jalapeños, paprika, cumin, egg and seasoning.

Attachments

• 20230604_184517.jpg
    20230604_184517.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 20
Tonight my friend made a Butterball Turkey Roast. It was really moist too. She picked up turkey gravy from the Honey Baked Ham Co. We had mashed potatoes, broccoli & cauliflower (for them) and carrots & sugar snap peas (for me). Dessert was pumpkin bars with cream cheese icing. I am so stuffed I don't think I'll need breakfast tomorrow!!

I made my burgers tonight, they were really good! This is how I always serve them, controversial I know, but no bun! With oven chips and baked beans! I think its because i like to eat my dinner with a knife and fork! And a dob of coleslaw. Burgers were made with mince beef, breadcrumbs, onion, jalapeños, paprika, cumin, egg and seasoning.
Looks tasty :) Thats a good way to cut down on carbs. Do you use any type of sauce on your burgers…. Mustard,
ketchup ? I could eat them like that with some A1 steak sauce, or a little Grey Poupon.

Tonight we got takeout fried rice from this supposedly good place. I was not impressed with my chicken fried rice. It seemed overcooked and had little flavor. The won ton soup & little cracker things were good.

I didn’t eat my fortune cookie but I liked my fortune! On the back it has numbers. Perhaps I should play the GA lottery.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 21
Tonight my friend made a Butterball Turkey Roast. It was really moist too. She picked up turkey gravy from the Honey Baked Ham Co. We had mashed potatoes, broccoli & cauliflower (for them) and carrots & sugar snap peas (for me). Dessert was pumpkin bars with cream cheese icing. I am so stuffed I don't thinkis close to I'll need breakfast tomorrow!!
If you haven't tried it yet, I'd recommend 'Better Than Gravy' base. They are the same company that makes 'Better Than Boullion'.
I'm pretty fussy about good gravy, but the BTG is the closest I've come to homemade.
Sugar Snap Peas are one of my very favorites!

If you haven't tried it yet, I'd recommend 'Better Than Gravy' base. They are the same company that makes 'Better Than Boullion'.
I'm pretty fussy about good gravy, but the BTG is the closest I've come to homemade.
Sugar Snap Peas are one of my very favorites!
I did taste the gravy and was surprised, it wasn’t salty as expected. I put a little over the turkey. It was good. I’m not a gravy fan even tho it was always served growing up. I never make it.

I took my left over carrots & sugar snap peas and mixed them in with the leftover chicken fried rice. Tossed it with a bit of butter & soy sauce. THEN, it actually had flavor.

I’m going to do a better job growing sugar snap peas in the fall. I didn’t trellis them last fall so they weren’t as productive. They sure were delicious tho!

I put the speckled butter beans in the crockpot this morning. Poured veggie broth over them. Used powdered spices, garlic, onion, black pepper, tyme, paprika, kosher salt & parsley and a pat of butter. They came out good. They’re very similar in taste to Lima beans.

I sautéed up a chicken breast but didn't realize it was pre-seasoned with Italian Seasonings. They are packaged individually and I’m glad I only took out one. I think I will rinse the seasoning off when I cook more.

Baked a pan of cornbread too. Yummy lunch!

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 8
Lots of good stuff at the veggie pick up this morning! Might need to make banana bread. I’ll cut up the apples for snacking so they don’t continue to spoil.

I thought the bags of salad were for coleslaw at first. But they have dressing & toppings in a little bag. I opened one bag, tossed out the toppings and made it into coleslaw!

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 12
Wed veggie pick up had some good stuff too. I’m not sure if they gave me sweet potatoes or yams. My oldest will be in town June 26 so I’ll see if she wants them. The youngest and I don’t eat them.

This morning I blanched the cauliflower, now it’s drying so it can go in the freezer. Made biscuits and boiled some eggs.

Yesterday I cut up the cabbage and put some coleslaw dressing on it. Then realized I didn't have carrots. So I cut up a little cucumber, a little yellow squash and tossed in a few tablespoons of frozen peas and carrots. “Veggie slaw” works for me.

Publix had big CA strawberries 3 qts for $10 so I washed them up. My oldest has a recipe for strawberry bread that has cream cheese in it. I may freeze some berries to make bread when she visits.

I’ve been craving peaches and they were on sale! Pears were on sale too so maybe pear bread this week.

Banjo, my grand-kitty, has a new catio. I can roll him to the door of the lanai to watch squirrels and he can watch me cook. He likes spinach and we now have 4 boxes. So most of it will have to be cooked. I’ll save some raw leaves for him. He inspected the boxes and tossed them to the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpeg
    IMG_0293.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0292.jpeg
    IMG_0292.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 17
Wed veggie pick up had some good stuff too. I’m not sure if they gave me sweet potatoes or yams. My oldest will be in town June 26 so I’ll see if she wants them. The youngest and I don’t eat them.

This morning I blanched the cauliflower, now it’s drying so it can go in the freezer. Made biscuits and boiled some eggs.

Yesterday I cut up the cabbage and put some coleslaw dressing on it. Then realized I didn't have carrots. So I cut up a little cucumber, a little yellow squash and tossed in a few tablespoons of frozen peas and carrots. “Veggie slaw” works for me.

Publix had big CA strawberries 3 qts for $10 so I washed them up. My oldest has a recipe for strawberry bread that has cream cheese in it. I may freeze some berries to make bread when she visits.

I’ve been craving peaches and they were on sale! Pears were on sale too so maybe pear bread this week.

Banjo, my grand-kitty, has a new catio. I can roll him to the door of the lanai to watch squirrels and he can watch me cook. He likes spinach and we now have 4 boxes. So most of it will have to be cooked. I’ll save some raw leaves for him. He inspected the boxes and tossed them to the floor.
Your kitty gave me a good giggle. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members