Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Trudie

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a recipe today for Dolly Parton’s 5 ingredient casserole. This type of casserole was a frequent meal for us growing up, mom always topped it with a can of cheddar cheese soup before baking.

Dolly Parton’s 5 Ingredient Casserole

Ingredients:​

• 1 pound lean ground beef (85 or 90%)
  • 3 large russet potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 2 sweet onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
  • 2 medium green bell peppers, diced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • optional additions: 1 tablespoon diced butter, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, pepperoncini

Instructions:​

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and spray a 9x13-inch baking or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in garlic powder and crushed red pepper, if using.
  3. Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with sliced potatoes and season well with salt and pepper (and add butter, if using). Top with the cooked ground beef then sliced onions. Season with salt and pepper, then the diced tomatoes and the bell peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours.

This is Andrew Zimmern’s version of a 5 ingredient casserole.

Tater Tot Hotdish
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (16 ounce bag) cut frozen green beans
  • 24 ounces frozen tater tots
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Over medium-high heat, brown beef and onions together in a large casserole pot. Season the meat with salt and freshly ground black pepper while it’s browning.
  3. When the beef is cook through, nicely browned and the juices have collected and evaporated, pull from heat. Place green beans on top of the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Using a spatula, spread the undiluted condensed soup over the beans. Add the tater tots as the final layer.
  4. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 35-45 minutes until the tots are browned and well crisped. Season with sea salt. Let cool for 5 minutes, scoop and serve. Ketchup is a nice touch.

I really like the two above casserole recipes, I usually have the ingredients on hand and don’t have to make a trip to the store.

Also, ingredients are completely interchangeable. You can easily swap ingredients too: frozen French fries or hash browns instead of tater tots, cream of celery soup instead of mushroom, etc. Also you can add other vegetables or other ingredients you might have available.

I saw a recipe today for Dolly Parton’s 5 ingredient casserole. This type of casserole was a frequent meal for us growing up, mom always topped it with a can of cheddar cheese soup before baking.

• optional additions: 1 tablespoon diced butter, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, pepperoncini

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and spray a 9x13-inch baking or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in garlic powder and crushed red pepper, if using.
  3. Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with sliced potatoes and season well with salt and pepper (and add butter, if using). Top with the cooked ground beef then sliced onions. Season with salt and pepper, then the diced tomatoes and the bell peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours.

I really like the two above casserole recipes, I usually have the ingredients on hand and don’t have to make a trip to the store.

Also, ingredients are completely interchangeable. You can easily swap ingredients too: frozen French fries or hash browns instead of tater tots, cream of celery soup instead of mushroom, etc. Also you can add other vegetables or other ingredients you might have available.
Your 5-ingredient posts reminded me of a Food Network show that I watched frequently. "Five Ingredient Fix" with Chef Claire Robinson was among the best cooking shows that were popular before the network turned to mostly games and competitions. 5 Ingredient Fix

Tater Tot Hotdish
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 onion, minced
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:

2. Over medium-high heat, brown beef and onions together in a large casserole pot. Season the meat with salt and freshly ground black pepper while it’s browning.
  3. When the beef is cook through, nicely browned and the juices have collected and evaporated, pull from heat. Place green beans on top of the meat. Season with salt and

This sounds pretty simple to make. I fell on Ice over the weekend and fractured my ankle and I am non weight bearing for at least 4 weeks.My DH has been fixing our meals. He is making a great effort with working and taking care of me, the dog and the house. But, I have grown tired of lunch meat sandwiches.

This weekend we/he will have to do some meal planning and prepping.

Just noticed the 2 hr bake time, he might try this on a weekend.

Your 5-ingredient posts reminded me of a Food Network show that I watched frequently. "Five Ingredient Fix" with chef Claire Robinson was among the best cooking shows that were popular before the network turned to mostly games and competitions. 5 Ingredient Fix
Thanks BDE,
I will check out the 5 ingredient fix

My DH is a decent cook but even a good cook needs some helpful hints. Right?

This sounds pretty simple to make. I fell on Ice over the weekend and fractured my ankle and I am non weight bearing for at least 4 weeks.My DH has been fixing our meals. He is making a great effort with working and taking care of me, the dog and the house. But, I have grown tired of lunch meat sandwiches.

I only bake mine for an hour. JMO

Oh bummer. I hope it heals quickly and is as painless as possible.

If he's not up to roasting a whole chicken, he could buy a rotisserie chicken. De-bone it to make quick weeknight meals. Chicken Cesar Salad, wraps instead of sandwiches, casseroles, chicken pot pie, chicken noodle soup, chicken enchiladas, etc.

Veg-All Chicken Pot Pie

ingredients

• 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of potato soup
  • 1 (16 ounce) can Veg-All, drained
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
  • 1⁄2 cup milk
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 (9 inch) frozen pie crusts, thawed (deep dish)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
directions
  • Combine first 6 ingredients.
  • Spoon into prepared pie crust.
  • Cover with top crust; crimp edges to seal.
  • Slit top crust and brush with egg.
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
  • Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Tater Tot Hotdish
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 onion, minced
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:

3. When the beef is cook through, nicely browned and the juices have collected and evaporated, pull from heat. Place green beans on top of the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Using a spatula, spread the undiluted condensed soup over the beans. Add the tater tots as the final layer.
  4. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 35-45 minutes until the tots are browned and well crisped. Season with sea salt. Let cool for 5 minutes, scoop and serve. Ketchup is a nice touch.
I'm reminded of Senator Amy Klobuchar's hot dish recipe. I've never made it, but a friend did and brought it to a potluck dinner. It was good!

Amy Klobuchar’s Tater Tot Hotdish

Ingredients
Ground beef (1-1.5 lbs)
Cream of mushroom (1 can)
Cream of chicken (1 can)
Onions (1 small)
Garlic (couple cloves)
Salt
Pepper
Pepper jack cheese, shredded (8-12 ounces)
Tater tots (1 package)

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Brown ground beef, drain off fat. Saute onions and garlic.

In a large bowl, mix together beef, onions, garlic, both cans of soup, salt and pepper. Spread evenly into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Cover with about half of the shredded cheese.

Place tater tops in one layer over the entire pan.

Bake at 450 for 30 minutes, or until tater tots are crisp. Cover with remaining cheese and bake until cheese melts.

Is a “hotdish” defined as a casserole that includes tater tots? I don’t think I’ve ever used that term for a casserole. A regional dish, perhaps? Midwestern?
Hotdish is a midwestern (primarily Minnesota) casserole that includes a starch (potatoes, tater tots, wild rice, etc.), meat (ground beef, chicken, etc.), assorted veggies, cheese, canned soup, etc. Cold weather comfort food at its best :)

35 Midwestern Hot Dish Dinners That'll Warm You Right Up

Last edited:

Oh no—I hope you heal quickly and without complications!

My story: I fell over a box a few months ago at home and came down hard on my knees. Amazing (to me, because I’m old) I didn’t fracture anything. The good and bad of it was I was holding a bunch of folded towels in front in my arms at the time. Good, because the towels cushioned my head when I fell forward. Bad, because I probably fell because I couldn’t see the box in my path due to all the towels in my arms. o_O I did feel a kind of whiplash pain in my neck for a bit, and tenderness in one knee, but all is well now.

The other day we made Caldo de Res, which is a delicious Mexican beef soup with chunky vegetables. We made too much, and didn’t want to have soup again, so I had the idea to convert it into a stew by thickening the broth and adding some beef “Better than Bouillon”. Worked great! I love when you can “repurpose” leftovers into another dish.

Also, I have a question: when we eat stew, we always eat it over rice. It’s how I grew up eating it. Is this the typical way others eat it, or is it a cultural thing, me being Japanese? Same with chili, we like it over rice. For my family, the rice is always short-grain rice, which is the stickier kind (Japanese). Just curious.

I do use long-grain rice for other dishes, though. Like for the caldo de res, I made Mexican rice with it. If I make pilaf, I use it. So, I always have both types of rice in my kitchen.

Last edited:
The other day we made Caldo de Res, which is a delicious Mexican beef soup with chunky vegetables. We made too much, and didn’t want to have soup again, so I had the idea to convert it into a stew by thickening the broth and adding some beef “Better than Bouillon”. Worked great! I love when you can “repurpose” leftovers into another dish.

Also, I have a question: when we eat stew, we always eat it over rice. It’s how I grew up eating it. Is this the typical way others eat it, or is it a cultural thing, me being Japanese? Same with chili, we like it over rice. For my family, the rice is always short-grain rice, which is the stickier kind (Japanese). Just curious.
We had beef stew out of a can the few times I can remember having it. My uncle made from scratch beef stew at Christmas. It was amazing. He had 2-3 kinds of fresh bread he’d bought at the Base. We dipped our bread in it.

I’ve seen people put thick chili on a bed of rice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back