FOUND - Argentine submarine goes missing with 44 crew members on board, November 2017

It’s 2017. How are we losing planes and submarines???

In regards to submarines, part of the reason is the way the patrols are conducted:

- Traditionally, submarine patrols are secret. That means that only the captain and say, a few other officers know the exact route and location of the submarine on a given day. Rather, the shore base just gives the submarine a general route to take while on the patrol, and most of the crew is then only given general updates as to their position while the patrol is underway.

- Likewise, communication between the submarine and the shore base is always kept to a minimum to keep the submarine's location a secret by preventing the radio calls from being triangulated. A submarine can go days with out checking in radio wise. When it does check in, the calls are very short.

As a result, the shore base can learn that the submarine is missing several days late- and then not know exactly where it went missing from.

Then factor in that submarines are designed to say hidden. They are designed to be stealthy shape wise and are coated with special material that absorbs sonar waves. This keeps them from being easily found by both enemies and when needed, rescuers.
Super submarine knowledgeable poster -----Cryptic I think -- what is her crush depth?)
Thanks for the compliment. Submarines were one of my reading interests for years.

In regards to the crush depth, like many aspects of submarines, the true crush depths are secret. Rather, only a normal deep operating depth is published. Say, 1500 feet.

At least the weather has improved:

Meteorologists expected waves of about 2 meters (6.6 ft) in the search area for the ARA San Juan, down from 8 meters over the weekend. Rescue boats have scoured about 80 percent of the search area, but storms and high winds have limited the effort in the past several days.

“Today is a critical day."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKBN1DL1GH?feedType=RSS&feedName=newsOne

Argentina missing submarine: Concern grows over lack of oxygen

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42064144

Argentina's navy says it is worried about oxygen levels inside the submarine that went missing last Wednesday in the southern Atlantic.

Forty-four people are on board the ARA San Juan, which vanished after it reported an electric breakdown.

A navy spokesman, Enrique Balbi, said a massive search operation would continue until the vessel was located.

Where ARA San Juan went missing, the oceans are very rough as it is south of 40 degrees latitude. Known as the Roaring Forties. Very rough oceans due to westerlies and lack of landmass in the Southern Hemisphere.

really hoping for some good news ...

Those poor people, I hope that hypoxia renders them unconscious before they die.

In one of the posted articles it says that during peacetime the protocol for this sub was to contact the land base twice per day. Which they had been doing. Then they reported an electrical problem but said they had gotten it fixed. Then they were ordered to turn around and go back to the base they had just visited.

During peacetime would there not be any type of a signal/locater device they could have turned on?

Very sad.

Re: Hypoxia death. Awful, just awful.

In one of the posted articles it says that during peacetime the protocol for this sub was to contact the land base twice per day. Which they had been doing. Then they reported an electrical problem but said they had gotten it fixed. Then they were ordered to turn around and go back to the base they had just visited.

During peacetime would there not be any type of a signal/locater device they could have turned on?

Very sad.

Re: Hypoxia death. Awful, just awful.
Hypoxia is not an awful death.

Missing Argentine submarine 'is located by US Navy and a new signal heard' as rescuers race to the spot with oxygen due to run out imminently

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5106689/Missing-Argentine-submarine-located-Navy.html

that neat but confusing

unconfirmed reports are saying it was heat signiture signal

and i thought how could heat be located in a freezing cold ocean that has been rough for so long?

its a sub - gotta be strong- and heat is coming out and able to be detected??

I wish the report would have been some other signal !

Lets hope

Oh how nice it would be to get just a bit of good news. I'm praying for you Argentina!

Missing Argentine submarine 'is located by US Navy and a new signal heard' as rescuers race to the spot with oxygen due to run out imminently

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5106689/Missing-Argentine-submarine-located-Navy.html

From your link, a tweet from a sister of missing sailor brought me to tears. Amazing grace while facing unimaginable fear.

She tweeted: 'We are here, all united, awaiting your arrival, 44 families and a very long wait. Do not stop asking, please, do not lose faith, hope. We are not going to stop until we hug them again.'

'It does not matter what god you believe in, or what you believe, I only ask that with a prayer, good vibes, good energies ask for the alive appearance of the crew of the Argentine submarine ARA San Juan, one of them my eldest brother. I'm destroyed.'

that neat but confusing

unconfirmed reports are saying it was heat signiture signal

and i thought how could heat be located in a freezing cold ocean that has been rough for so long?

its a sub - gotta be strong- and heat is coming out and able to be detected??

I wish the report would have been some other signal !

Lets hope

I think what they are trying to say is that the US Navy aircraft detected the submarine on the ocean floor from its infrared signature. The submarine is warmer than the ocean water and thus can be detected by the anti-sub aircraft. That is perhaps a good sign in that it shows there may still be electrical power in the sub generating that heat. But can we get to them in time? Also, I would add that the ability to detect a diesel electric sub at that depth by heat signature alone is amazing!

I'm concerned that I am not seeing any other news agencies report that the sub has been located, other than the DailyMail. I hope its true.

I am always fascinated by submarine stories, news, movies, etc. I very nearly joined the Navy to join the submarine service. But I opted for the Army instead. But I have always been fascinated by the sea and submarines in particular. Honestly, I am surprised there aren't more losses.

The submarine is warmer than the ocean water and thus can be detected by the anti-sub aircraft. That is perhaps a good sign in that it shows there may still be electrical power in the sub generating that heat. But can we get to them in time? Also, I would add that the ability to detect a diesel electric sub at that depth by heat signature alone is amazing!

Good point about only one news source reporting that the submarine has been found. Lets hope that the Daily News has a scoop.

In regards to getting to them in time, the good news is that submarine is said to be at 230 feet. This is with in the depth range where the crew can self evacuate if they absolutely need to.

There are, however, a lot of "ifs" including what pressure the crew is at (internal flooding can increase their pressure), what safety equipment they have, and how much practice they have had with it. In even in the best circumstances, such a self evacuation, though possible, is very dangerous and will probably lead to a few deaths.

Good point about only one news source reporting that the submarine has been found. Lets hope that the Daily News has a scoop.

In regards to getting to them in time, the good news is that submarine is said to be at 230 feet. This is with in the depth range where the crew can self evacuate if they absolutely need to.

There are, however, a lot of "ifs" including what pressure the crew is at (internal flooding can increase their pressure), what safety equipment they have, and how much practice they have had with it. In even in the best circumstances, such a self evacuation, though possible, is very dangerous and will probably lead to a few deaths.

I agree. I had read that due to budget problems the Argentine submarines spend very very little time at sea. So inexperience of the officers and crew could be a big factor in the cause of the accident and their response and ability to self-rescue. I would think that if they had the ability to self evacuate, the crew (or some portion of them) would have done so by now.

Argentina missing submarine: Russia joins search operation

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42090497

Argentina has accepted help from Russia in the search for a military submarine that went missing with 44 crew in the southern Atlantic a week ago.

President Mauricio Macri said the Russian leader, Vladimir Putin, had phoned him to offer to deploy a survey vessel and crew with experience of similar operations.

More than a dozen countries, including the US, are taking part in the search.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back