Found Alive France - Alex Batty, 11 from Oldham Uk, parental abduction, 2017 *found alive in France after walking in Mountains*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

StillDiggin

Reaction score
Some amazing news.
A British boy who went missing in 2017 when he was 11 has been found in France and will return home soon, according to French authorities.
Alex is from Oldham and would now be 17.

A student who spotted him walking at night in heavy rain told French media he offered the teenager a lift and after speaking for a while, Alex told him his story.

What a lovely message Alex wrote to his grandmother telling her he wants to come home after escaping a spiritualist community.

curious about the commune they lived in and what the "alternative" phrasing might apply to, but wow, also can't believe this is not bigger news.

I'd read his memoir. Just wow, can you imagine what he is feeling these days...

ETA: he contends he could leave anytime, was not being "held" by his mum. But... at 12, 13, 14, 15... what could he have done? Reportedly, mum and granddad don't "believe in mainstream" education and schooling. ugh, he is safe now, his grandma must be over the moon, that is paramount of course.

Last edited:
curious about the commune they lived in and what the "alternative" phrasing might apply to, but wow, also can't believe this is not bigger news.

ETA: he contends he could leave anytime, was not being "held" by his mum. But... at 12, 13, 14, 15... what could he have done? Reportedly, mum and granddad don't "believe in mainstream" education and schooling. ugh, he is safe now, his grandma must be over the moon, that is paramount of course.
I'm not clear what you mean by the memoir?

It's sad he had no one to turn to to help him get back to his grandmother by normal means.

JMO

It sounds like maybe he escaped from a cult.

Yes, it's one thing being free to leave, quite another to have the means to do so. Apparently he had been walking for four days, in the rain, trying to get to a city. He may only have had a very rough idea of where he was, which direction to go.

Typing this, I realise he could easily have taken a wrong turn after leaving the commune, or got in the wrong car, and nobody would have been any the wiser.

Yes, it's one thing being free to leave, quite another to have the means to do so. Apparently he had been walking for four days, in the rain, trying to get to a city. He may only have had a very rough idea of where he was, which direction to go.

Typing this, I realise he could easily have taken a wrong turn after leaving the commune, or got in the wrong car, and nobody would have been any the wiser.
Yes, perhaps his mother was unwilling to contact police that he was missing?

People who try to bring their children up in any kind of restricted circumstances - even in mainstream culture - seem to forget that kids grow up quickly and want to make their own choices.

<modsnip>

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC News | Alex Batty: Teen from Oldham missing for six years found in France

It took me a while to understand exactly what had happened after reading this article. So he disappeared while with his mother and grandfather but neither of them had parental guardianship over him at the time? So, and I understand the need for certain language but would it be simpler to say that he was kidnapped by his mother and grandfather? Presenting it as a disappearance really was confusing for me and my poor addled brain. I’d like to know why he was on holiday without someone with parental rights, and why his mother didn’t have parental guardianship, doesn’t something serious have to happen for that to be taken away?

<modsnip: referenced post was removed>

Getting back to this case, and now I think I maybe have grokked the details a bit better, this is definitely cause to celebrate in the true crime/misper community, is it not? If someone had told me the details of the ‘disappearance’ a few weeks ago I would have said that more than likely … well. So many things could have gone very wrong here, maybe much more so than Alex even understands at this point. So I am over the moon for his loving family who may have been losing faith as well.

I think it’s really worth highlighting this case because it shows that it never makes sense to give up, until you know for sure that all hope is extinguished. Sometimes miraculous turns of fate can occur and even if they’re one in a hundred, one in a million even, we need to be open to the possibilities and remain positive wherever we can. Let’s hear it for Alex who, yes, I’d love to hear more about his experiences if and when he is inclined to share his story! And for the rest of us, one less missing kid is definitely something to savour and be thankful for. Whoop!

Last edited by a moderator:
David and Melanie Batty remain wanted in connection with Alex’s disappearance. This is an even more detailed account of Alex’s story. I wonder if Alex will help giving information that will help arrest David and Melanie Or if they will take off and live somewhere else.

A

I had not heard of Alex's disappearance until just a few minutes ago, via an article in the Manchester Evening News. What an incredible ending! I guess I now need to go back to the start and follow the whole thing through from beginning to end.

I'm trying to work out the difference between a Spiritual Community that you live in and a Cult. JMO

David and Melanie Batty remain wanted in connection with Alex’s disappearance. This is an even more detailed account of Alex’s story. I wonder if Alex will help giving information that will help arrest David and Melanie Or if they will take off and live somewhere else.

A
Considering they have moved the boy around various countries over the years I would imagine the latter would happen. JMO MOO

I'm trying to work out the difference between a Spiritual Community that you live in and a Cult. JMO
Monks live in a religious community, although imo you could also call that a spiritual community but I doubt anybody who is religious in a mainstream Christian kind of way would refer to that as living in a cult.
JMO

There is a 'live' news conference from France right now on Sky news channel and I believe you can rewind to the beginning. There are some interesting facts coming out. Here is the link. No idea if it will be the same link after it has finished being Live.

Apparently the Grandfather died 6 months ago. The mother wanted to go to live in Finland and this prompted AB to leave.

edited to ask, is there anyone from France here? They mentioned a town I'm trying to find on maps but it sounded phonetically like Gooj. I can't find it and wondered if anyone know how to spell that? Would that be Gudas? MOO AB said he didn't know where he had been living for the past 2-3 years but he was familiar with Gooj (no idea how to spell this) and the people there were friendly apparently.

Last edited:
There is a 'live' news conference from France right now on Sky news channel and I believe you can rewind to the beginning. There are some interesting facts coming out. Here is the link. No idea if it will be the same link after it has finished being Live.

Apparently the Grandfather died 6 months ago. The mother wanted to go to live in Finland and this prompted AB to leave.

edited to ask, is there anyone from France here? They mentioned a town I'm trying to find on maps but it sounded phonetically like Gooj. I can't find it and wondered if anyone know how to spell that? Would that be Gudas? MOO AB said he didn't know where he had been living for the past 2-3 years but he was familiar with Gooj (no idea how to spell this) and the people there were friendly apparently.
Two towns that have been mentioned are Aude and Ariege departments in Occitanie.

The American expert is considered to be Rick Alan Ross, he points to cults as being lead by a charismatic and authoritarian leader who abuses their followers, exploiting them, and not allowing them to leave.

In this case, I'm not getting the sense there was a leader beyond, perhaps, the grandfather.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nellieisme777
Back