France - Explosions and shooting in Paris, 13 November 2015 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, a change in air travel security- 10 years too late

Details of EVERY passenger flying in and out of Europe to be shared between countries to help track ISIS fighters
Brussels under pressure to agree passenger name records (PNR) deal
Britain and France want all countries signed up to share information
Concerns have been expressed about the impact on passengers' privacy
Cameron blasts 'ridiculous' rules which leave security in the EU at risk

Brussels aims to have agreement by the end of the year on a controversial plan for the US-style sharing of air passenger name records, regarded as a key step for maintaining security within the passport-free Schengen zone.
However it is currently bogged down in wrangling with national governments after years of debate about whether it infringes people's right to privacy.

Only the UK has a fully function flight records system, although France has recently passed laws allowing for airlines to pass PNR data to police and security forces.
Other EU states introducing their own PNR systems include Bulgaria, Estonia, Spain, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, The Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Finland and Sweden

No information regarding ferry& Eurostar though..... or simply driving through Euro countries by car!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-help-track-ISIS-fighters.html#ixzz3sPyR1zYy

British Muslim abused by a **** on a train who said she would 'bomb' the carriage was rescued by fellow passengers who stepped in to defend her
Ruhi Rehman, 23, was on Metro when **** launched vicious verbal assault
He said she would 'bomb' the train and to get off as 'this is my country'
But fellow commuters defended Ms Rehman before forcing him off the train
Hate crimes against Muslims have soared by 275% since Paris attacks
As he left the train the passengers cheered and clapped.
Ms Rehman has now thanked those who helped saying: 'It was the true Geordie spirit that shone through. They were my angels that day and I can't thank them enough.'

'I'd never seen anything like it,' said Ms Rehman. 'I have never felt more proud of being a Geordie. It was lovely that everyone came together to help us and I can't thank them all enough.
'It made me feel really optimistic and hopeful.'
Ms Rehman added: 'After what happened in Paris I have felt a bit paranoid. But why should we? Just because of a few extremist people.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-rescued-fellow-passengers.html#ixzz3sQ0GVC65

whilst this report is difficult to confirm as fact, these kinds of stories would help to de-mystify the young who are tempted by the ISIS mythologies?

If videos of ISIS burning people alive in cages isn't enough to "de-mystify" them I don't think this story will make any difference (and it will be denied by ISIS recruiters anyway).

Personally I believe if young people want to join them then let them do it; good riddance. If they are old enough to travel that far then they are old enough to die for their decision.

in today's news: UK terror plots, jihadis....

Scotland Yard Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley revealed officers were holding known extremists for 'anything we can' to 'disrupt' potential terror plots on home soil.
The police officer also confirmed there were 'several thousand' home-grown terror suspects in the UK.
Britain's top anti-terror police officer said today a suspected jihadi is being arrested every day to prevent a Paris-style terror attack
'I put those in two broad baskets: a third of those arrests are using counter-terrorism powers; we are prosecuting people, whether it's a plot or whether it's having terrorist training or disseminating material.
'Those are the people more advanced in the development of their terrorist intentions.
'The other two-thirds are more disruptive. We are using crime powers, prosecuting them for fraud, sexual offending - anything we can use to disrupt their conduct.

Mr Rowley also revealed Britain has officers in France and Belgium 'harvesting information' about ISIS terrorists who killed 130 in Paris 'to prevent attacks' in Britain
He said: 'In terms of what is going on in France at the moment, clearly after the attack some names have come out to the police in terms of those involved, so it is not surprising that they have got new leads to chase down - new associates and suspects - and they are trying to make arrests and working with colleagues in Belgium.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rested-DAY-stop-Paris-style-plot-UK-soil.html

Security Minister John Hayes also told the Home Affairs Select Committee there was an 'argument' for Britain to join the group of 'Prum' treaty.
It gives signatories access to each other's national databases containing DNA profiles, fingerprints and vehicle registration data
i'd say there was NO argument on getting that done right away! Why not already? Don't tell it's a privacy issue?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...p-Paris-style-plot-UK-soil.html#ixzz3sR0sA74U
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If videos of ISIS burning people alive in cages isn't enough to "de-mystify" them I don't think this story will make any difference (and it will be denied by ISIS recruiters anyway).

Personally I believe if young people want to join them then let them do it; good riddance. If they are old enough to travel that far then they are old enough to die for their decision.

Appreciate that it is a natural gut reaction - I used to have it too - problem is I would be sending them away knowing they were going to commit crimes in another country, rape, stonings, enslave, beheadings.......

The video was not shown in any more than in pixellated, brief screen grabs in MSM and banned from youtube so didn't have wide distribution here. The full horror amounted to a lot more than burning that poor Jordanian pilot in a cage. In any case, #daeshbag recruits are only told what the cult want them to hear; not to mention being given access to drugs like captagon to steel their determination.

The #daeshbags are on the run in Iraq and being targetted by heavy bombing in Syria, so it will take at least another generation or two of the current civilian population (who are being killed at a conservatively greater rate of 10 times more by aerial bombardment, starvation, inadequate or non-existent medical care, water and shelter than the #daeshbags) for them to regroup; under another 'name'. Then they will again take their revenge against sectarian oppression and military action in their countries. and they have; since time immemorial. (Where do you think the current #daeshbags came from? Iraq. Coincidence or not?) Then we will retaliate and the whole scenario will be played out again. Different catalyst; location; different time; different numbers of civilians injured, traumatised and killed; different power players; nevertheless, the same war will continue and, to paraphrase a great man, 'we are all doomed to repeat history's mistakes until we learn from them'.

Disenfranchised, unemployed, poor, socially isolated and personally traumatised and traumatised-by-proxy youth have already been, are being, and will continue to be. recruited and launch attacks in their home or bordering countries, ie the Molenbeek, Belgium connection to the Paris massacre. If they also hear our xenophobic commentary about them and their families, rather than receive our compassion, before these cults identify and brainwash them; is it any wonder we experience tragedies such as the Paris attacks? If this is going to continue to be our attitude, again, we can expect more of the same long into the future.

btw this is not any excuse for terror; there isn't one and nor should their ever be. It's simply an analysis based on my own opinion which has been formed through research online and through MSM and my discussions with others; including an international lawyer. The following link is an excellent read of the historical and current situation:

18 things about #daeshbags you need to know

http://www.vox.com/cards/things-about-isis-you-need-to-know/what-is-isis

I have always been bewildered by the catch phrase "be vigilant" . What does that mean with 3.5 million people, everyone constantly texting, then watching the parade.

Folks that are trained and paid to be vigilant, and they seem to spotty with it at best, and mom dad, with three small children.

Not even sure if there is an ability to be vigilant in that set-up MOO

IMO being vigilant leads to people demanding passengers who speak Arabic not be permitted on the plane. Like you I don't know how someone in a crowd or at a concert or a game can be vigilant. There's so much to pay attention to. I get being aware of your surroundings or being careful but I don't think that's the same as catching terrorists. JMO

Unless Paris is willing to contemplate harsher measures, such as the internment of potential jihadists, known Islamist radicals, we should expect more attacks. There is democratic precedent for this. In October 1970, Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, a liberal icon, declared martial law, deployed the army in the streets, and rounded up nearly 500 extremists, thereby crushing the nascent terror threat in Quebec. Bleeding hearts objected but Trudeau’s famous response, “go on and bleed,” was telling—and he won.

If Hollande has the gumption to do something similar, France can still turn the tide against the jihadists and save many lives. “We know who they are, we usually know where they are,” explained a French counterterrorism official, an old friend, to me in the hours after the Paris attacks: “But will Paris let the gloves come off now? I don’t know.”

Canadian newspaper
http://observer.com/2015/11/jihadists-attack-paris-again-the-world-is-horrified/

How do you intern extremists together without making them more extreme?

US sentence 40 years, just in for British based jihadi

A Pakistani man extradited from the UK to the US has been sentenced to 40 years in jail for plotting attacks in several countries.
Abid Naseer, 29, was sentenced by a federal judge in New York.
US authorities said he had been part of a plot to attack Manchester, New York City and Copenhagen.
In March, a jury found him guilty of providing material support to al-Qaeda and conspiracy to use a destructive device.
FBI assistant director-in-charge Diego Rodriguez said that Naseer, who moved to the UK to study, failed to use the British education visa system to make the best of his life.
Instead, he exploited it "to take away the lives of many others in large numbers", said Mr Rodriguez.
Naseer was first arrested in the UK in 2009 along with 11 other men suspected of planning an attack on a shopping mall in Manchester.
No explosives were found but the men were ordered to leave the country. Mr Naseer avoided deportation after a judge ruled it was likely he would not be safe if he returned to Pakistan.
UK officials arrested him again in 2010 at the request of US prosecutors.
In 2013 he was extradited to the US, where prosecutors argued Naseer was part of a broader al-Qaeda conspiracy to attack various Western locations, including the New York subway system and a newspaper office in Copenhagen, Denmark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34912242

"Reports say that a group of armed men may have taken hostages in the northern French town of Roubaix.

There are conflicting initial reports on local media on where exactly in the town the incident is taking place.
Local media said the incident took place at around 19:00 local time (18:00 GMT).

Witnesses reported gunshots being fired. Media reports say the neighbourhood has been closed off by police."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34917226

'ANKARA/MOSCOW (Reuters) - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border on Tuesday, saying the jet had violated its air space, in one of the most serious publicly acknowledged clashes between a NATO member country and Russia for half a century.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said the plane had been attacked when it was 1 km (0.62 mile) inside Syria and warned of "serious consequences" for what he termed a stab in the back administered by "the accomplices of terrorists".

"We will never tolerate such crimes like the one committed today," Putin said, as Russian and Turkish shares fell on fears of an escalation between the former Cold War enemies.

"Nobody should doubt that we made our best efforts to avoid this latest incident. But everyone should respect the right of Turkey to defend its borders," Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said in a speech in Ankara.

In condemnation of Russian air strikes in Syria, during which Turkish air space has been violated several times in recent weeks, Erdogan said that only Turkey's "cool-headedness" had prevented worse incidents in the past.

U.S. President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande, meeting in Washington, urged against an escalation, while NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said the military alliance stood in solidarity with Turkey.'

Reuters (Tue Nov 24, 2015, 2:17 pm EST):

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0TD0IR20151124?il=0

Just what we need. Hawks beating their breasts...ghosts of war horses on the horizon.

Appreciate that it is a natural gut reaction - I used to have it too - problem is I would be sending them away knowing they were going to commit crimes in another country, rape, stonings, enslave, beheadings.......

Or they will simply be blown up in another country. If they are female then they are more likely to a victim than a perp anyway.

Regardless for Western countries to welcome ISIS recruits back is insane IMO, but apparently plenty of non-jihadists in the EU are on a suicide mission of their own.

IMO being vigilant leads to people demanding passengers who speak Arabic not be permitted on the plane. Like you I don't know how someone in a crowd or at a concert or a game can be vigilant. There's so much to pay attention to. I get being aware of your surroundings or being careful but I don't think that's the same as catching terrorists. JMO
I live in Vermont, but a lot of our news stations cover upstate new York and Vermont. They have been doing a lot of coverage of this new app, New York has put out and it's actually been pretty helpful info. They even said the app was not to be used just because you see someone who is muslim or looks middle eastern. It is to be used for things like if you see a box or a bag left somewhere unusual or electronic devices like cell phones in the garbage.

It sounds like a pretty cool app, you can take photos and send them in and either manually enter the location or give it permission to view your location when you send a tip in.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/world/paris-attacks/

Authorities issue alert for another suspect

Snip

Authorities have released the name and photo of another suspect they're searching for in connection to the Paris terror attacks.

Mohamed Abrini was allegedly driving the car that was found abandoned in a Paris neighborhood where one of the November 13 shootings occurred, police said Tuesday. He had allegedly dropped off one of the bombers who attacked the Stade de France, they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther