France - Maëlys De Araujo, 9, found deceased, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, 27 Aug 2017 #2

En direct / Meurtre de Maëlys. Procès de Nordahl Lelandais : en interpellant l'accusé, la sœur de Maëlys bouleverse l'audience

Dauphiné, Live blog, Monday February 7, afternoon

14:40: The hearing resumes.

14:41: A portrait and a photo of Maëlys have been placed on the stand by the civil parties.

14:42: Maëlys' mother, Jennifer Cleyet-Marrel, takes the stand.

14:46: "I wrote a letter for Maëlys. You were my ray of sunshine and that evening in August 2017, everything became dark. How can I live without you? You, an innocent, dynamic young girl, generous with others, loving animals. I will never know your first lover, you had many things to accomplish, many dreams to fulfil. I am proud to have given birth to you and to have been your mother. Your sister Coleen is helping me through my grief."

14:48: "We were a loving family. I couldn't protect you from the bad guys and I feel guilty. Because of your courage you put a dangerous criminal in jail.

14:50: "You, the accused, on the day you applied for release, I learned that a drop of my daughter's blood was found in your trunk. Imagine my disgust."

"You, the jurors of the trial court, I trust you completely. The decision you make is yours, I hope it will help me regain my faith in humanity."

14 H 52 :

President: "Can you tell us about the wedding party?"

Jennifer Cleyet-Marrel: "The four of us were happy to go to the wedding. We got our hair done, we got all dressed up. At dessert time, that was the last time I saw my daughter. Afterwards, we were outside and I heard my niece say, 'Come and dance, the music is so good'. And when I came back, I saw that Maëlys was not there. We started looking for her. I looked for the man in the blue shirt because I had seen that she had talked about his dogs with him.

14:58: "I asked him if he had seen my daughter. He said 'no I haven't seen her' with a blasé tone.
At 4 a.m., we called the police, we could feel that something serious was happening. It was like a film, but we told ourselves that it couldn't happen to us. We immediately thought of an abduction. And then the hours went by and we couldn't find her. We were in a state of shock, all I did was look at photos of my daughter.

On 8 February, the examining magistrate summoned us. And she told us that a drop of blood was found in his car. And on 14 February, the day of love, he confessed. It took a long time, from 9am to 6pm. And then the dogs found some bones. He threw her away like a piece of trash in the wild, to be eaten by animals.

On the day of the funeral, I couldn't look, I put her favourite things in her coffin. I'm here to make sure no one forgets her and that this doesn't happen to anyone else later on."

15 H 04 :

President: "Could she have gone with a stranger?"

Jennifer Cleyet-Marrel: "She would never have gotten into her car in the middle of the night to go see some dogs. She would have said something to us or asked permission."

15 H 10 :

President: "Do you remember Maëlys' sandals? She was barefoot in the room?"

Maëlys' mother: "Yes, she was putting them back outside so she wouldn't hurt herself."

President: "The first interaction with the accused?"

Maëlys' mother: "She came to me to ask if she could go and see her boyfriend's dogs on his phone. He was at the wedding table, I saw his two dogs on his screen."

President: "Is it because there was this interaction that you are looking for the man in the blue shirt when Maëlys disappears?"

Maëlys' mother: "Yes, that's it."

President: "And then he comes back?"

Maëlys' mother: "Yes, and he didn't seem concerned."

President: "Life without Maëlys?"

Maëlys' mother: "It changed everything, the couple's life, I separated from her father. Afterwards with Colleen, she was angry with me for leaving home. The clan broke up, everything reminded us of Maëlys. We only have the memories, the good ones. He ruined everything. Everything collapses from one day to the next, while we were at a wedding. I wonder if we're not in a nightmare and that we'll wake up one day.

President: "Were you apprehensive about this trial?"

Maëlys' mother: "No, it doesn't scare me. I will be strong like my daughter, a little warrior."

15 H 19 :

Maître Rajon: "Not knowing the whole truth, imagining the worst, does that add to your suffering?"

Maëlys' mother: "Before he confessed, I had images of my daughter in my dreams. I would wake up crying. You imagine all sorts of scenarios. He was quickly taken into custody but he never said anything. Anyway, he's a coward, he can tell it and repeat it. "

Maître Rajon: "From 27 August 2017 to 14 February 2018, looking back, why was that the hardest period?"

Maëlys' mother: "It was not knowing. On 14 February, the knot came undone, like a heartbreak."

15 H 22 :

Maître Rajon: "The day we saw the CCTV?"
Maëlys' mother: "It was Maëlys, there was no doubt. She was in front and not fastened, against the window, it was strange. She never rode in front."

15 H 26 :

Maître Rajon: "You had the feeling that the case was over in the fall of 2017?"

Maëlys' mother: "Yes but he didn't say anything. And he left her body in the wilderness for a whole winter, that might have changed things in terms of the autopsy."

Maître Rajon: "This feeling of guilt that you have inside you."

Maëlys' mother: "I didn't look after her enough, I didn't protect her from the bad guys. I'm angry at myself for believing him when he told me he hadn't seen her."

Maître Rajon: "How is Colleen?"

Maëlys' mother: "She is strong too, she has a strong character. But she lost her sister and is now all alone. They were very close. Fortunately she is here, she helps me to remain dignified.

15 H 31 :

Mr Rajon: "This case has moved the whole of France. You have received a lot of support. The extreme media coverage of the case and its consequences?

Maëlys' mother: "The hardest thing was to learn in the newspapers before the justice system told us. A lot of things were thrown at my daughter's back to make money and to highlight the other."

15 H 34 :

Maître Rajon: "I remember your state of exhaustion."

Maëlys' mother: "The mobile phone was always next to me. I was trying to inform myself as best I could because justice was not telling us much."

15 H 39 :

Maître Rajon: "We had a press conference afterwards. What did you have in mind?"
Maëlys' mother: "I wanted him to speak out."

15 H 42 :

Maître Rajon: "When the court of assizes renders its decision, do you have any idea what your life will be like?"

Maëlys' mother: "I will only have the memory of Maëlys, she will always be in my heart. And he will be forgotten, he will be obliterated."

15 H 44 :

Jacques Dallest, the public prosecutor: "When Lelandais says he took her in his car?"

Maëlys' mother: "It's impossible that she got in voluntarily. I don't see why he doesn't want to say it, it won't change much."

The public prosecutor: "When he says he killed her involuntarily?"

Maëlys' mother: "That's a lie. If she was crying, why didn't he just bring her back. Everything is calculated and premeditated."

15 H 47 :

The public prosecutor: "When you see him after the disappearance, was he disturbed?"

Maëlys' mother: "No nothing, like he didn't care."

15 H 48 :

Maëlys' mother speaks directly to Nordahl Lelandais sitting in his box: "Look down, you only have this to do." She says this because he does not dare to look at Maëlys' portrait.

15:49: Photos of Maëlys are projected in the room at the request of her mother. They are holiday and family photos.

15 H 56 :

President: "Mr Lelandais, one question at this point. Your phone is not in aeroplane mode at 3:25. Maëlys' mother passes you when you come back, do you confirm?"

Lelandais: "Yes ma'am."

President: "You have just killed Maëlys and you say that you have not seen her, how do you manage? Do you give the impression that you did not see her?"

Lelandais: "I know what I have just done so I don't know what to answer."

15:58: Maëlys' father, Joachim De Araujo, is now on the stand. He sets up the portrait of Maëlys in front of him.

16:02: "My angel, my warrior of light, I remember saying one day that in case of an attack you should shout loudly and call for help. When Lelandais was arrested I thought about it again. The scratch marks on him, I tell myself that you listened to me and tried to defend yourself.

Not a day goes by that I don't remember that night. I am a father, like lost at sea, trying to get my head above water. Deprived of you my daughter, of your sister who is moving away from me. This separation from your mother...

This heartless, soulless Mr Lelandais that he is. Who has done you a lot of harm and who continues with his lies and his statements.

Maëlys, you remain engraved in my heart, forever. I miss and will always miss all those moments we spent together."

16 H 12 :

President: "About that wedding night, the exchanges with your little girl?"

Maëlys' father: "The last time I saw her, we were dancing to a song she liked, I was carrying her. And then I put her back down and she went to play with the other children... if I had known, I would have kept her with me."

President: "Life after?"

Maëlys' father: "Having a child is the most beautiful thing. What purpose do we have if we don't have a child? That my daughter was taken away from me like that? I don't understand. I still wonder why there are people like this.

President:"What do you expect from the trial?

Maëlys' father: "Nothing from him. I have a feeling of pity. For me it's dead in his head. There is nothing to be done with this character, he must be isolated from society.

16 H 15 :

Maëlys' father: "Why does he continue to lie given that he has already committed the worst? "

President: "Is there anything else you want to say?"

Maëlys' father: "No madam president".

16 H 16 :

Boguet, the lawyer of Maëlys' father: "You are not a great communicator but you have to find words to describe this field of ruins for 4 years. Everything has been pulverised on the occasion of this night?"

Maëlys' father: "Everything was shattered in a few seconds."

Maître Boguet : "In the close circle, the emptiness is there ?

Maëlys' father: "Yes, the relatives feel powerless.

Maître Boguet : "You couldn't stand your house anymore?

Maëlys' father: "Yes, when you see the photos, it becomes unbearable.

Maître Boguet: "Did the marriage explode?"

Maëlys' father: "We can't rebuild ourselves. Unconsciously, we tell ourselves that we have lost everything.

Boguet: "The court needs to hear it and so does the one in the box, you found yourself with all the strings of the puppet cut. Even professionally? (He is on disability today)"

Maëlys' father: "Everything fell apart."

Boguet: "There is the loss of a child and the conditions in which this disappearance occurred."

Maëlys' father: "Yes, that's it, I had made up a lot of scenarios, that we could still find her."

16 H 21 :

Maître Boguet: "You have followed the file. Four months before he killed your daughter, he killed Arthur Noyer and assaulted his little cousins. What does this inspire you?"

Maëlys' father: "I would not like to be in his head... I still have a soul."

16:23: A video of Maëlys dancing at the wedding is shown in the courtroom.

16:27: Colleen De Araujo, Maëlys' sister, takes the stand. She is 17 years old.

16:30: "I heard a lot about what it was like to be the brother or sister of Nordahl Lelandais. I'll tell you what it was like to be Maëlys' sister." The young girl reads a long text addressed to her sister.

16 H 35 :

To Nordahl Lelandais: "In fact it is you who is the trash. I do not believe in your lies, nor in your tears."

"Maître Jakubowicz with all due respect, the day my sister was found on 14 February, you should have kept quiet. I remember the day you said on TV that the silhouette in the CCTV photo was that of a mature woman, it was my sister's."

The girl asks Nordahl Lelandais if he raped her sister?

Lelandais: "No, I did not rape your sister."

16 H 44 :

Maëlys' sister: "We want the truth. At least tell the truth for my parents and even your family and your entourage. Tired of your lies. Have the courage and dignity to speak as I am doing right now!"

Lelandais: "I will answer later."

Maëlys' sister: "Stop with that! Answer now." (She looks him in the eye)

Lelandais: "The truth, I tried to explain it several times nobody believed me."

Maëlys' sister: "You change versions all the time, how can I believe you?"

Lelandais: "I hear all your pain."

The sister: "You put a rock on her body! Why hurt a child who just wanted to have fun?

The president intervenes: "Ms. De Araujo... we'll let Mr. Lelandais sit down again because he has no answer for you."

16:47: The hearing is suspended, it will resume at 17:00.

BBM

Dauphiné, Live blog, Monday February 7, afternoon, continued

17:10: The hearing resumes. Maëlys' aunt, Maria, now takes the stand.

17:18: She talks about the suffering of the family after the facts. "It's a brother that we can't reach anymore. It's been a year before we see them again, my brother, Jennifer and Colleen. How do you tell your brother you're suffering when he's suffering 1000 times over? How do you talk to your sister-in-law when she thinks it's her fault? It hurts to see the family suffer. They didn't ask for much, just to be a family. They had everything to be happy. When a child is taken away from you, it's like ripping your heart out. (she is very emotional on the stand). If the investigators had not found that little drop of blood, would he have continued? How many parents would be crying for their child? My brother is broken inside. He once told me 'I'm losing Colleen'. I'm proud of my brother, my sister-in-law, the whole family, even though we lost each other for a while because we were in too much pain."

17 H 29 :

Maître Boguet: "There was a before, a during and an after. What you can confirm is that they were an uneventful couple?

The aunt: "They were totally in love, united and complementary.

Maître Boguet: "Would you say that on every occasion, the announcement of a pregnancy was celebrated as a happy event?"

Aunt: "We were as happy as they were. Colleen is only one year older than my son. And Maëlys, they had a hard time (getting pregnant) so she came as a joy.

17:30: A new witness takes the stand. It is a childhood friend of Joachim De Araujo. "I saw the family being formed. I saw Colleen and Maëlys being born. They built their happiness with the sweat of their brow."

17:34: "Since 27 August 2017, we have seen everything come undone. The loss of Maëlys... Look at Joachim today, he has lost 25 kilos! Spend time with him, you'll see that sometimes he's not there. I went to see them in the Jura after the events. The three of them were living in a room. The separation was inevitable given the circumstances. What stands out now is his (Joachim's) lack of concentration. Recently we went for a motorbike ride. He had his daughter with him and was going unusually slowly. We had done 50 km and he was exhausted.

17 H 40 :

President: "What can you say about Maëlys?"

Witness: "I saw her being born, I knew her as a child, especially, after they left for the Jura. She is a jovial little girl, smiling but who remained suspicious of us because she didn't see you often. I congratulate them for their dignity. They are exceptional in their courage.

President: "Are you worried about him (Joachim)?"

Witness: "Sometimes yes..."

17 H 42 :

Maître Boguet: "You say, he lost 25 kilos, Maëlys weighed 28. Did he lose what was taken from him?"

Witness: "Yes, that's it."

17 H 46 :

Maître Boguet: "Would she have got into the car of a stranger?"

Witness: "No! Either she was tricked, or she got in by force."

17:47: A new witness takes the stand. He is also a childhood friend of Joachim de Araujo.

17:51: "We have known each other for more than 30 years. I have known the before and after. I have seen their couple torn apart, destroyed, the downfall. Joachim's lifeline was his daughter Colleen. He is banking on the outcome of the trial.

President: "Did you give shelter to the family at the time of the events?"

Witness: "Yes, so there were fewer journalists.

President: "Did you say a before and after?"

Witness: "It was an ordinary family. And then it was a downward spiral, he hit rock bottom.

17 H 54 :

Maître Boguet: "Their way of educating the children was not to live hidden but to live cautiously?"

Witness: "Yes, that's it, exactly.

Maître Boguet: "Today your friend is the one who goes through life as a ghost?"

Witness: "I've seen him tumbling down, his life is ruined.

Maître Boguet: "Did he tell you about his expectations regarding the trial?"

Witness: "He wants justice to be done for Maëlys."

18:00: Last witness of the day on the stand. A 41 year old woman, friend of the De Araujo family for 25 years. "We miss Maëlys' happy cheer terribly."

18:04: "When I learned of her disappearance, I was stunned. I called Jennifer and she was going on and on: 'he took my baby, he's not going to give her back'"

18:08: "Jennifer often tells me that she doesn't want to hit rock bottom for her daughters. Joachim and Jennifer have tried but the sadness has meant that the bond between them is no longer there. It was hard for Colleen after the loss of her sister. When I see all the suffering the family has gone through, I think they deserve to know the truth. For Maëlys, I think that a person who loved dogs was better than others because it represents sincerity. In her mind as a child, it has to be a good person."

18 H 12 :

Maître Rajon: "The family that literally explodes?"

Witness: "It's a waking nightmare. It's heavy to bear. I think the truth would soothe them immensely."

18:15: Maître Jakubowicz wishes to ask his client questions. "It is not possible, at the end of such an emotional day, to deprive ourselves of the accused's word.

The president: "He has the floor."

Maître Jakubowicz: "We saw images of the little girl you killed. Did you look at them?"

Lelandais: "Some of it, but it hurts me to say that I killed her."

Maître Jakubowicz: "We put everything on the table, Nordahl. Did you prefer not to look at her?"

Lelandais: "Out of respect for the family, this is their moment."

18 H 18 :

Maître Jakubowicz: "Did you take Maëlys by force?"

Lelandais: "Not at all."

Maître Jakubowicz: "How did she get into your car. Voluntarily?"

Lelandais: "Yes. But whatever I say I will not be believed."

Maître Jakubowicz: "Did she protest?

Lelandais: "No."

Maître Jakubowicz: "Did you sneak away when you left?"

Lelandais: "No".

18 H 21 :

Maître Jakubowicz: "You took away their child. A major element of their suffering is the lie. What do you have to say about that?

Lelandais: "I couldn't say it. As soon as I said something, it was in the press and it was distorted. It was a protection on my part.

Maître Jakubowicz: "You, you go from lie to lie, accentuating the pain, didn't it occur to you?"

Lelandais: "It was too complicated.

18 H 27 :

Maître Jakubowicz: "There is a monumental gap between the Lelandais of before and the child killer?"

Lelandais: "From the death of Arthur Noyer, nothing was going right."

Maître Jakubowicz: "One last point. Today everyone is urging you to tell the truth. Are you aware that whatever you say, you may not be believed?

Lelandais: "I try to express myself and I know that I am not believed. But it is the truth. I would like to say to the family that they are not responsible in any way..."

18:29: The president cuts him off. The hearing is suspended. The hearing resumes tomorrow at 9am.

BBM

En direct / Affaire Maëlys. Procès de Nordahl Lelandais : "J'ai fait entrer le loup dans la bergerie à mon propre mariage"

Dauphiné, Live Blog, Tuesday February 8

9:16: The hearing resumes.

9:20: The first witness of the day is called to the stand. He is the groom. He is 40 years old and is a soldier. He has known Nordahl Lelandais for about twenty years.

"I feel anger towards this individual that I do not recognize. I let the wolf into the sheep's den at my own wedding.

9:23: "I try not to let out this anger because I have a family, children. I want to say I'm sorry to Jennifer and Joachim and Colleen. We're trying to move on. I'm here before you but I don't believe in justice in France. His sentence will never be high enough. He has damaged so many families. We are trying to move forward. Fortunately I have a job I love, a wife, children.... I have an anger in me. I'm trying to remain polite."

9:29 :

President: "How does Nordahl Lelandais end up at your wedding?"

The groom: "I trusted him. He was part of the circle of friends in Pont-de-Beauvoisin. We saw each other regularly at parties and for sports. It wasn't a close circle but we saw each other occasionally. We lost touch five years before the wedding. I got a call from him the week of the wedding, he left me a message. I called him back to check up on him and told him to come to the wedding reception. I still had some confidence as he was relocating my best man the day before."

President: "How would you describe him at that time?"

Groom: "Someone who was personable and liked to have a laugh and party. Always there to help out. He liked to drink, smoke joints but I felt it was the same person so no fear. We couldn't think about that."

President: "How is the invitation going?"

Groom: "I ask him. He doesn't invite himself spontaneously."

President: "How is the wedding going?"

The groom: "I see him a bit, we look at old photos. And afterwards, in the euphoria, I have the impression that I don't see him. And at the end of the aperitif, I tell him to come back with others for the cake to finish the evening."

9:35 :

President: "What about that end of the evening?"

Groom: "It's a nightmare, you don't expect that sort of thing. I'm a security person. There was a gate, a nanny until the cake so the parents could enjoy themselves. We wanted to make everything secure. And then you don't believe it when they say that Maëlys has disappeared, you think she's hidden under a table. And then we start to panic. Jennifer comes to see me and tells me about my pal who had shown his dogs on his mobile. And I see him again at some point in the hall and in my memory I had gone to ask him about it. And the answer was no. (he hadn't seen her)"

9:38 :

The groom: "I targeted Nordahl quite quickly. My witness had told me that he had seen him vomit in the toilet and that he had left. First cold shower because normally he always helped others. And then he left without saying goodbye.

President: "He left before the police arrived?

The groom: "To me, it was just before.

9:45 :

The groom: "As soon as the gendarmes arrived, I immediately mentioned Nordahl's name because he was not on the wedding list and he had left just before their arrival. But the gendarmes were not in that spirit, they were gathering all the information. Afterwards, I blamed myself in the days that followed, telling myself that I had accused a friend without knowing.

President: "He will be heard soon afterwards.

The groom: "On this very point, we were giving evidence at the town hall and Nordahl arrived after he had been called. He had a real indifference at that moment. It was another light that went on for me. I had my doubts but I couldn't believe it. On 28 August, a friend of mine went to put petrol in the car and he came across Nordahl cleaning his car, which was another sign. And I gave the number of the investigator to my friend... and when the facts are there, you fall down hard... I let the wolf into the sheepfold."

President: "Is there any form of guilt on your part?"

The groom: "If I don't answer... if I don't invite her... with ifs we do a lot of things again. But my grief will never be as deep as the family's."

9:49 :

President: "When did you learn that he brought cocaine?"

The groom: "This is the second blow. They wanted to make it look like it was a wedding where cocaine was being brought in. And I learned that my own best man had used it with Nordahl at my wedding. I still haven't forgiven him, we don't talk anymore. The family has been tainted, it hurts."

9.50 a.m.: President: "What did your witnesses tell you about the circumstances of this consumption?

The groom: "Only one called me. He apologised. I told him not to fight the wrong battle first, that we had to find Maëlys before anything else."

9: 56 :

President: "Do you remember what he was wearing at the vin d'honneur and at the party?"

The groom: "Shorts and T-shirt. He had the same outfit when he came back in the evening. I thought to myself 'he could have changed', that would have been more like him. He was someone who liked to flirt. Afterwards I have no memories of him on the dance floor or in the evening."

10 H 00 :

President: "Maëlys' mother told us that she saw Nordahl Lelandais arrive around 3:30am and asked him about it. He replied with a blasé look. Do you see him at the same time?

The groom: "I see him right after that."

10:06 :

Maître Rajon: "Nordahl Lelandais contacts you after 5 years. What is your first feeling? Surprised?"

The groom: "No, not surprised because it's like him. He sometimes arrived at parties where he wasn't invited. But perhaps it had hurt his self-esteem not to receive an invitation.

Maître Rajon: "Do you remember the date of your engagement?"

Groom: "A year and a half before. I wanted to make sure my children were old enough to enjoy my wedding."

Master Rajon: "You have two children, they were four and a half and eight at the time. Do you feel that this could have happened to them?"

The groom: "Of course. When I see on the networks that we didn't watch our children. We made sure it was safe, that's why we got a nanny."

10: 10 :

Maître Rajon: "The washing of Nordahl Lelandais' vehicle, what does your friend tell you?"

The groom: "It's vague, he tells me that he washes the boot. Only for the sake of conscience, we said we don't let the slightest detail pass."

10:12 :

Maître Boguet: "You are not the first witness to feel guilty about the situation. Is there a feeling of betrayal beyond the anger?"

The groom: "I wouldn't talk about betrayal, when you paint his picture it's a person I don't know. He fooled us for how many years?"

Maître Boguet: "You have one thing in common, you are a career military man. Did you exchange views with him on the nature of your commitment?"

The groom: "We exchanged a little on the subject."

Maître Boguet : "Did he have fun telling you stories about Opex and the Foreign Legion ?

The groom : "No, that would have stood out for me."

10: 14 :

Maître Remond: "Do you have the feeling of having been manipulated?"

The groom: "It's hard to say, maybe he came to this wedding with another idea in mind than to party. But he will never say so."

10:24 :

Jacques Dallest the public prosecutor: "How many people were there?"

The groom: "With the children at least 160 and 200 at the aperitif."

The public prosecutor: "At the beginning when she went missing, you say to yourself that it is someone from outside?"

The groom: "At the beginning there was a misunderstanding, it was said that she left with someone from the family. And afterwards that maybe someone had passed himself off as a guest and taken Maëlys away."

The public prosecutor: "The children were in a separate room. They could easily get out of the party room?"

The groom: "They were apart without being apart. It was mostly for eating and games."

The Advocate General: "Did the nanny stay until the end?"

The groom: "No, it was agreed that she would leave after the cake.

The public prosecutor: "You had said that you expected another reaction from Lelandais at that moment with his dogs?"

The groom: "Yes he was very proud of them, he would have shown that they were trained and he would have searched for the girl with them. But to flee the place like that..."

He addresses Nordahl Lelandais: "If Maëlys hadn't arrested you, what would you have done afterwards? Killing, raping? I know your position of not giving away anything, but this is cowardice."

10 : 29 :

Maître Jakubowicz: "You said some things factually that are interesting. At the end of the vin d'honneur, it was not an individual move by Nordahl to return in the evening?"

The groom: "No, I told him with other people."

Maître Jakubowicz: "You said 'I don't recognise this person anymore.'"

The groom: "When I hear what he did, it gives me the creeps. That's what makes me think he's really dangerous. How can one so masterfully fool everyone?"

Maître Jakubowicz: "That's another problem.

The groom: "You have to wonder what he would have done in four years.

Maître Jakubowicz: "We can, sir.

10 H 32 :

Maître Jakubowicz: "Does it look like him to arrive in this outfit at the vin d'honneur?"

The groom: "No, other friends have arrived in flip-flops, it doesn't shock me.

Mr Jakubowicz: "Does it show a certain abandonment on his part?"

The groom: "No, a little neglected perhaps."

Mr Jakubowicz: "On the search, isn't this the Nordahl Lelandais we know? You say that he would have come with his dogs.

The groom: "When you know what happened before, it's normal."

Maître Jakubowicz: "Did you see him during the evening, addressing little Maëlys?"

The groom: "No."

10 : 40 :

President: "Does it offend you that you were not invited to the wedding in the first place?"

Lelandais: "At the time a little bit but nothing more. It occurred to me but I didn't look any further.

President: "After the aperitif, why do you find yourself returning in the evening?"

Lelandais: "It was someone else who asked and I was also offered."

President: "A witness said that you had been very critical of this idea of marriage?"

Lelandais: "I don't have that memory. I don't see myself criticising the bride and groom or the wedding."

10:42: The bride will now take the stand. She is 39 years old.

10:44: "That summer, we just wanted to share our happiness with our family, which we are lucky to have a large one. We didn't imagine all the darkness of the accused or we wouldn't have invited him. He is not on trial for all his crimes, all the collateral damage of which we are a part and the shattered lives. He fooled us."

"During the wedding, I have almost no recollection of interacting with the accused. I just bumped into him when we were looking for Maëlys and he asked me 'which kid are we looking for?' I described her to him and he said 'ah yes she's the one I talked to about my dogs.'

10:47am: "His first lie, it was not due to media pressure because there was none!" (Lelandais had denied during the first hearing that he had exchanged with Maëlys)

10 : 51 :

President: "You knew Nordahl Lelandais at the time of the marriage for 15-20 years. How could you describe him at the time?"

The bride: "Someone jovial, a bon vivant who liked to party. A bit of a braggart and very adaptable, who fitted in very well with a group."

10 : 52 :

Bride: "Was he always like that and we didn't perceive it when we were 20? It's something that messes with my mind."

10 : 54 :

Maître Rajon: "You have two children. I imagine that in the whirlwind of thoughts, you also think about them and what might have happened to them?"

The bride: "Today, I think that Maëlys made a sacrifice. How many people she could have saved, I don't know."

10 : 59 :

Maître Boguet: "He killed Maëlys by smashing her with his fist. And you tell us that when he came back, nothing had changed in his behaviour?

The bride: "No, I don't perceive anything in particular, it's something chilling. I remember very well his words 'which kid are we looking for?' with a distressing normality."

Maître Boguet: "What is the image he gives you?"

The bride: "Nothing in his behaviour alerts me and I move on."

11 : 02 :

Maître Jakubowicz: "The Lelandais you knew was incapable of committing these facts, do you confirm?"

Bride: "I would add 'that we thought we knew.'"

Maître Jakubowicz: "Did you see Nordahl Lelandais address little Maëlys during the evening?"

The bride: "No."

11:03 am: The hearing is suspended. Will be resumed at 11:20.

BBM

Wednesday, February 9th:
*Trial continues (Day 9) (all cases) (@ 9am CET) - France - Maëlys De Araujo (9) (Aug. 27, 2017, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, Isère; found Feb. 14, 2018) - *Nordahl Lelandais (34/now 38) arrested (Sept. 3, 2017) & indicted with murder & kidnapping & forcible confinement of a minor younger than 15; being held in jail. Maleys' DNA found in his car.
*Charged (July 3, 2017) & indicted (Feb. 27, 2020) with sexual assault of a minor under 15 yrs re sexual assault on his young cousin (14) during a visit for her father’s funeral, a month before Maëlys’ abduction; she was 6 years old at the time.
*Indicted (Dec. 7, 2018) for sexual assault on a minor & recording of child *advertiser censored* images. According to concurring sources, this indictment concerns the sexual touching of a little girl who was 5 years old at the time of the incident. Abusing his goddaughter, the daughter of a close friend. The video was taken in 2017 before the one where he was seen with his 6-year-old cousin. (NL admitted in particular that he had "for some time" been attracted to children & had pedophilic tendencies. "I didn't really make the difference between a woman and a child," he told the investigating judges).
Trial began on Jan. 31, 2022 thru Feb. 18, 2022.
Court info from Jan. 23, 2018 to Feb. 7, 2020 & trial day 1-7 (Jan. 31, 2022 to Feb. 7, 2022) reference post #360 here:
France - Maëlys De Araujo, 9, found deceased, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, 27 Aug 2017 #2

Feb. 7, 2022: Tuesday, Trial Day 7: Additional info:
Maëlys' mother, Jennifer Cleyet-Marrel, takes the stand.
Maëlys' father, Joachim De Araujo, is now on the stand.
Colleen De Araujo, Maëlys' sister, takes the stand.
for more info see post #362 here:
Maëlys' aunt, Maria, now takes the stand.
A childhood friend of Joachim De Araujo.
Another childhood friend of Joachim de Araujo.
A 41 year old woman, friend of the De Araujo family for 25 years.
Lelandais questioned.
for more info see post #363 here:
Feb. 8, 2022: Wednesday, Trial Day 8: The groom from the wedding. He is 40 years old & is a soldier. He has known Lelandais for about twenty years.
And Lelandais questioned.
The bride took the stand.
for more info see post #364 here:
No other info available. Trial continues on Feb. 9, 2022.

*Indicted (Dec. 20, 2017) for murder of Arthur Noyer (24) (April 11-12, 2017, Chambéry (Savoie); skull found Sept. 2017, id’d in Dec., 2017 & the rest of his bones found Jan. 2018). Found guilty of murder & sentenced to 20 years imprisonment.

Sister & bil sleep late in the mornings - so I'll be able to keep up this trial. :)

Thursday, February 10th:
*Trial continues (Day 10) (all cases) (@ 9am CET) - France - Maëlys De Araujo (9) (Aug. 27, 2017, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, Isère; found Feb. 14, 2018) - *Nordahl Lelandais (34/now 38) arrested (Sept. 3, 2017) & indicted with murder & kidnapping & forcible confinement of a minor younger than 15; being held in jail. Maleys' DNA found in his car.
*Charged (July 3, 2017) & indicted (Feb. 27, 2020) with sexual assault of a minor under 15 yrs re sexual assault on his young cousin (14) during a visit for her father’s funeral, a month before Maëlys’ abduction; she was 6 years old at the time.
*Indicted (Dec. 7, 2018) for sexual assault on a minor & recording of child *advertiser censored* images. According to concurring sources, this indictment concerns the sexual touching of a little girl who was 5 years old at the time of the incident. Abusing his goddaughter, the daughter of a close friend. The video was taken in 2017 before the one where he was seen with his 6-year-old cousin. (NL admitted in particular that he had "for some time" been attracted to children & had pedophilic tendencies. "I didn't really make the difference between a woman and a child," he told the investigating judges).
Court info from Jan. 23, 2018 to Feb. 7, 2020 & trial day 1-8 (Jan. 31, 2022 to Feb. 8, 2022) reference post #365 here:

Feb. 8, 2022: Wednesday, Trial Day 8: Additional information: No info available yet.
Feb. 9, 2022: Thursday, Trial Day 9: No info available yet. Trial continues on Feb. 10, 2022.
*Indicted (Dec. 20, 2017) for murder of Arthur Noyer (24) (April 11-12, 2017, Chambéry (Savoie); skull found Sept. 2017, id’d in Dec., 2017 & the rest of his bones found Jan. 2018). Found guilty of murder & sentenced to 20 years imprisonment.

Friday, February 11th:
*Trial continues (Day 11) (all cases) (@ 9am CET) - France - Maëlys De Araujo (9) (Aug. 27, 2017, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, Isère; found Feb. 14, 2018) - *Nordahl Lelandais (34/now 38) arrested (Sept. 3, 2017) & indicted with murder & kidnapping & forcible confinement of a minor younger than 15; being held in jail. Maleys' DNA found in his car.
Court info from Jan. 23, 2018 to Feb. 7, 2020 & trial day 1-8 (Jan. 31, 2022 to Feb. 8, 2022) reference post #365 here:

Feb. 9, 2022: Wednesday, Trial Day 9: No info available yet. Trial continues on Feb. 10, 2022.
Feb. 10, 2022: Thursday, Trial Day 10: No info available yet. Trial continues on Feb. 11, 2022.

Monday, February 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 12) (all cases) (@ 9am CET) - France - Maëlys De Araujo (9) (Aug. 27, 2017, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, Isère; found Feb. 14, 2018) - *Nordahl Lelandais (34/now 38) arrested (Sept. 3, 2017) & indicted with murder & kidnapping & forcible confinement of a minor younger than 15; being held in jail. Maleys' DNA found in his car.
Court info from Jan. 23, 2018 to Feb. 7, 2020 & trial day 1-9 (Jan. 31, 2022 to Feb. 9, 2022) reference post #367 here:

Feb. 10, 2022: Thursday, Trial Day 10: No info available yet. Trial continues on Feb. 11, 2022.
Feb. 11, 2022: Friday, Trial Day 11: No info available yet. Trial continues on Feb. 14, 2022.

Tuesday, February 15th:
*Trial continues (Day 13) (all cases) (@ 9am CET) - France - Maëlys De Araujo (9) (Aug. 27, 2017, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, Isère; found Feb. 14, 2018) - *Nordahl Lelandais (34/now 38) arrested (Sept. 3, 2017) & indicted with murder & kidnapping & forcible confinement of a minor younger than 15; being held in jail. Maleys' DNA found in his car.
Court info from Jan. 23, 2018 to Feb. 7, 2020 & trial day 1-9 (Jan. 31, 2022 to Feb. 9, 2022) reference post #367 here:

Feb. 11, 2022: Friday, Trial Day 11: No info available yet. Trial continues on Feb. 14, 2022.
Feb. 14, 2022: Monday, Trial Day 12: Trial continues on Feb. 15, 2022.

Wednesday, February 16th:
*Trial continues (Day 14) (all cases) (@ 9am CET) - France - Maëlys De Araujo (9) (Aug. 27, 2017, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, Isère; found Feb. 14, 2018) - *Nordahl Lelandais (34/now 38) arrested (Sept. 3, 2017) & indicted with murder & kidnapping & forcible confinement of a minor younger than 15; being held in jail. Maleys' DNA found in his car.

Feb. 15, 2022: Tuesday, Trial Day 13: Trial continues on Feb. 16, 2022.

Thursday, February 17th:
*Trial continues (Day 15) (all cases) (@ 9am CET) - France - Maëlys De Araujo (9) (Aug. 27, 2017, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, Isère; found Feb. 14, 2018) - *Nordahl Lelandais (34/now 38) arrested (Sept. 3, 2017) & indicted with murder & kidnapping & forcible confinement of a minor younger than 15; being held in jail. Maleys' DNA found in his car.

Feb. 15, 2022: Tuesday, Trial Day 13: Trial continues on Feb. 16, 2022.
Feb. 16, 2022: Wednesday, Trial Day 14: Trial continues on Feb. 17, 2022.

I haven't been feeling well lately, I'll try to catch up with this court case. A lot has been happening since February 7, so I'll skip most of the live blogs and stick to the daily overviews (moring & afternoon) instead.

Februay 8, afternoon

Meurtre de Maëlys. Nordahl Lelandais : "La petite Maëlys jouait avec un petit garçon au ballon. Ils ont voulu voir les chiens et j'ai ouvert ma portière"

Seventh day of the trial: what to retain from the afternoon

This Tuesday afternoon, the wedding and the evening where Maëlys was present were still at the heart of the debates. The cousin of the girl's mother tells on the stand "a magnificent wedding evening, until the tidal wave that has toppled the family.

He also explains how it happened at the time of Maëlys' disappearance. "There comes this moment, the music shuts off and we say we are looking for little Maëlys. We go from a festive moment to this moment where the atmosphere becomes heavy. And the more time passes, the more we say to ourselves that it's not possible. And we can't find her. And when you start looking in walk-in refrigerators and dustbins, all hell breaks loose. The police arrive with dogs and nothing happens. You find yourself in a suit with nice shoes next to a river shouting her name... and there is silence.

Jennifer Cleyet-Marrel, Maëlys' mother, was called back to the stand to talk about the course of the wedding evening. She is adamant: "My daughter would not have gone near a person she did not know.

On the stand, a 34-year-old man, present at the aperitif confided: "He fooled us to set up his alibi. And he continues today. He knows it deep down.

He also tells what he saw on Sunday when he went to fill up his car: "I saw him washing his car at the car wash. I went to talk to him. And as I was leaving I wondered why he was washing his car there instead of near his home when there was a new car wash next to him. I thought about it all night. I told some friends and called the gendarmerie. And I was interviewed.

After a tense exchange with Maître Jakubowicz, Nordahl Lelandais' lawyer, the groom's witness declared: "I never presented my condolences to the family. I'm really sorry, I never detected anything."

At the end of the day, Nordahl Lelandais had the opportunity to explain himself. Questioned by the president Valérie Blain, he explained: " Little Maëlys was playing with a little boy with a ball. They wanted to see the dogs and I opened the door of my car."

BBM

Meurtre de Maëlys. Procès de Nordahl Lelandais : l'accusé assure ne pas s'être filmé en train de tuer Maëlys

Trial of Nordahl Lelandais: what to retain of day 8, February 9

As yesterday, the wedding and the evening when Maëlys disappeared were at the heart of the debates this Wednesday for the eighth day of the trial of Nordahl Lelandais. New witnesses, guests at the party, took the stand this morning. They have notably evoked their links with the accused and delivered their testimony on the course of the evening.

The first, a childhood friend of the groom and the accused, told how they had become aware of the girl's disappearance and launched the first search for her. He also stated that he had not seen any children in the car park at the time he was smoking with Lelandais, as the latter claims.

The second witness of the day, another former childhood friend, detailed how they had consumed cocaine together that evening in the toilets of the village hall.

The third witness admitted that he was the one who asked Nordahl Lelandais to bring cocaine to the party, but opposed the version of the accused who said that it was him who asked him to go back and get some.

At the end of the morning, jostled by Me Crespin, the lawyer for the associations, the former dog handler got angry and said: "I went there to celebrate, not to fish for a child.

This afternoon, other acquaintances of Nordahl Lelandais were heard by the court. One of them said he had seen the accused on the evening of the disappearance of the girl, at a birthday party, saying that he was "normal" at that time. He then challenged the statements of Lelandais, who said that it was he who had provided him with the cocaine. The witness' sister then spoke. She said that Lelandais had complimented her daughter, who was then 3 years old.

The next witness, another former friend of Lelandais, revealed that he had seen the accused break and throw a mobile phone into Lake Bourget, a few days after his first custody. When asked about this mysterious gesture, Nordahl Lelandais assured that it was simply a stolen phone, and then said he had not filmed Maëlys' murder.

BBM

Meurtre de Maëlys. Procès de Nordahl Lelandais : l'accusé assure ne pas s'être filmé en train de tuer Maëlys

Trial of Nordahl Lelandais: what to retain of day 8, February 9

As yesterday, the wedding and the evening when Maëlys disappeared were at the heart of the debates this Wednesday for the eighth day of the trial of Nordahl Lelandais. New witnesses, guests at the party, took the stand this morning. They have notably evoked their links with the accused and delivered their testimony on the course of the evening.

The first, a childhood friend of the groom and the accused, told how they had become aware of the girl's disappearance and launched the first search for her. He also stated that he had not seen any children in the car park at the time he was smoking with Lelandais, as the latter claims.

The second witness of the day, another former childhood friend, detailed how they had consumed cocaine together that evening in the toilets of the village hall.

The third witness admitted that he was the one who asked Nordahl Lelandais to bring cocaine to the party, but opposed the version of the accused who said that it was him who asked him to go back and get some.

At the end of the morning, jostled by Me Crespin, the lawyer for the associations, the former dog handler got angry and said: "I went there to celebrate, not to fish for a child.

This afternoon, other acquaintances of Nordahl Lelandais were heard by the court. One of them said he had seen the accused on the evening of the disappearance of the girl, at a birthday party, saying that he was "normal" at that time. He then challenged the statements of Lelandais, who said that it was he who had provided him with the cocaine. The witness' sister then spoke. She said that Lelandais had complimented her daughter, who was then 3 years old.

The next witness, another former friend of Lelandais, revealed that he had seen the accused break and throw a mobile phone into Lake Bourget, a few days after his first custody. When asked about this mysterious gesture, Nordahl Lelandais assured that it was simply a stolen phone, and then said he had not filmed Maëlys' murder.

Thank you and I hope
you feel better soon.
BBM

Affaire Maëlys. Procès de Nordahl Lelandais : comment l'analyse du véhicule de l'accusé a permis de faire basculer l'enquête

Ninth day of the trial of Nordahl Lelandais: what to retain of the morning session

This Thursday, February 10, the experts take the stand in the courtroom of the Assize Court of Isere. For the ninth day of the trial of Nordahl Lelandais, the toxicological and biological analyses taken from the accused should shed light on the issues.

The floor was first given to a toxicology expert who confirmed that the samples taken from Lelandais four days after the wedding had revealed "significant and repeated consumption of cocaine". He also detailed the effects in combination with alcohol.

A second expert then took the stand. She detailed her analytical work. She focused in particular on the locks of hair found near Maëlys' body. The court then considered at length the question of whether the accused had cut them voluntarily. He said he had not. He also denied having torn the girl's dress voluntarily.

With the testimony of the third witness of the morning, an expert in genetics, it was a question of analysis of the car of Nordahl Lelandais. [On 1 September, "we go and examine the whole vehicle, we see that it has been cleaned. We see that the car is surprisingly clean".]
In this investigation, finally a "tiny drop of blood" that matches the genetic profile of Maëlys was found in the trunk in January 2018. This find allowed to turn around the investigation.

BBM

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-di...l-lelandais-suivez-les-debats-de-l-apres-midi

Afternoon, Thursday February 10

This afternoon, the hearing was particularly intense with the testimony of three experts who first detailed the state of Maëlys' body at the time of its discovery, before sharing their conclusions following the various analyses carried out on the remains of the girl.

While several fracture marks were found on the child's skull, the cause of her death remains uncertain. A forensic doctor suggests three hypotheses: neurological, haemorrhagic or asphyxial. However, according to this expert, "there is little chance that the death occurred as described by Nordahl Lelandais," and it is not ruled out that Maëlys died several minutes [or more] after being beaten.

According to the forensic physician, it is impossible to establish whether Maëlys was a victim of sexual assault because of the state in which her body was found.

An expert in charge of interpreting the blood stains at the crime scenes was then heard by the bar.

At the end of the day, the former cellmate of the accused, who was to be heard, was not found by the police despite a warrant.

BBM

Meurtre de Maëlys. Nordahl Lelandais reconnaît avoir donné "trois ou quatre coups" volontairement à Maëlys mais sans l'intention de la tuer

Tenth day of the trial of Nordahl Lelandais: what to retain of the morning session

The tenth day of the trial opened on Friday 11 February with a particularly heated hearing. Heard by the court as a witness, the former prosecutor of Grenoble, Jean-Yves Coquillat, delivered without concession his feelings on Nordahl Lelandais and his defense strategy.

The former magistrate who was in office at the time of Maëlys' disappearance and during the investigation said he thought at the time and still thinks "that Nordahl Lelandais kidnapped Maëlys to rape and kill her." Faced with these attacks, Jakubowicz, the defense lawyer, rose to protest against his words, denouncing a premature closing arguments, before requesting a recess.

The hearing finally continued with the testimony of a former friend of Lelandais who could not be heard Wednesday. He spoke of his feelings of guilt before addressing Nordahl Lelandais directly, demanding that he tell the truth about what happened the night of the abduction and death of Maëlys.

Then a gendarme in charge of the investigation into the disappearance of Arthur Noyer came forward to testify on the stand. He explained how the investigators had managed to make the link with Lelandais.

BBM

Meurtre de Maëlys. Nordahl Lelandais reconnaît avoir donné "trois ou quatre coups" volontairement à Maëlys mais sans l'intention de la tuer

Friday, 3pm: The hearing resumes

The president asks Nordahl Lelandais to stand up: "Mr Lelandais, it's time to explain yourself, you have the floor".

15:16: "The blows were voluntary, but I did not intend to cause her death".

"Thank you, Madam President. I wanted once again to apologise to Maëlys' family and I will go back over what happened. I know that it is difficult for this family to believe me, because I varied in my statements. I can understand that. It was difficult for me to explain why I killed Maëlys.

"I was invited to the wedding aperitif. I went there, it went well, I chatted with my friends. Then I joined another friend. In the middle of the evening, I came back to the wedding. At one point I was at the bride and groom's table. At some point, this little girl Maëlys passed behind me, I had not seen her until then. I pressed the button on my mobile phone and the picture of my dogs appeared. She asked me if they were mine. I said 'yes', she came back later with her mum and asked me to see the dogs again. The evening continued, the second time I saw her was when I threw a ball back into the children's room. Then I went outside to smoke. Then the evening continues, I do laps in the toilet, take cocaine. Then I go outside to meet a friend and Maëlys was playing with a little boy. They asked me if I had my dogs, I told them no but they got in my car and played. I know people won't believe me...
At one point I find myself at the wedding table again. A witness asks me to go and get some cocaine because I won't have enough. Just as I was about to leave, little Maëlys came up to my car. I had the windows open. She asks me if I'm going to get my dogs. She says she asked her mum who had told her that she could see the dogs. And stupidly, I tell her "Get in." I didn't have any bad intentions, I said to myself I'm going home to get some cocaine, it will make her happy to see the dogs. It'll take a few minutes max. I was looking at it with no intention other than it would be nice for her to see the dogs. And on the way there, it didn't happen at all like it should have. We were talking about dogs on the way, and she told me that she likes cars. It's true that we don't have a big discussion. And at one point there's a big silence, we don't speak. And she starts to hiccup, to shed little tears and at that moment I don't know what happened, I turned my head. I killed a man and this is something that was constantly on my mind. I turned my head and I had this fear, completely crazy, of what happened in April 2017 when I turned around and punched. The blows were deliberate, it wasn't an accident, but I had no intention of killing her at all. I don't know what happened but of course I did it. Everything went crazy, I didn't know where I was, I drove for a few minutes and I stopped on a hill next to my house, I turned towards her and I saw that she wasn't moving at all. I took her pulse, maybe badly, but I realised that there was none. Then I put the car in first gear and set off. I drove to the place where I dropped off this unfortunate child. I didn't know where to drop her off. When I got to the end of the road, I turned around and when I got to this railway, I stopped and cowardly, I put her on the ground.
15:25: "They would like me to say it was a sex crime, but it wasn't"

"I realised I had blood on me afterwards. I stopped downstairs in my house. I went to my bathroom, I saw that I had blood on my shorts. It was Maëlys'. I threw the shorts in a dumpster and went back to the wedding, it was a form of alibi, I say. But at that time, I was completely lost. I knew I was in the village hall but I was lost. At one point, I was feeling really unwell, I told a friend to follow me to the toilet. I knew what I had done. This horrible thing I had done. And then I actually had to leave. I left. I went back to the place where Maëlys was laid down.

Nordahl Lelandais cries, sniffs into the microphone.

"I decided not to leave her at that place to hide my crime once again. I put it in my trunk and I left, not knowing where to go. Then I went to a place I didn't know. When I got in the car, I looked around to see where I could put the child to hide my crime. I arrived at a place where there was a barrier, I turned around, I stopped downhill, I saw that it was quite hidden. I opened the trunk, I took it out of the trunk, I followed a path that leads into the forest and I left it there and I went back. I went back saying to myself "what just happened, it's incomprehensible" but that's the reality. I left, I went back home. As the years went by, I understood that it is incomprehensible. "You take a child to see your dogs" but at the time I didn't see anything wrong, I didn't have any bad intentions. But unfortunately today, that little girl Maëlys is no longer there.

He pauses...

"I know very well that the family and the judges are waiting for an answer. That's what happened. That's the truth. They'd like me to say it was a sex crime, but it wasn't. I had no intention of doing it. I had no intention, I wasn't in it for that, not at all. I know I'm going to be sentenced heavily and I deserve that sentence, I accept it, because there's a family over there who are suffering the pain of losing a little girl. I'd really like to apologise to them. I hope that they will manage, despite the fact that it's been difficult for the last four and a half years, to move on, for them. I'd like the trial to give them some peace of mind and to take some time for themselves now."

He sniffs into the microphone. The president speaks again.

- The president: "How is what you have just said today different from what you have said so far?

- Lelandais: "You asked me to explain myself and today I am explaining the truth. At the beginning, it was very complicated to explain that I killed a little girl. That's why I varied my statements."

BBM

to be continued

Lelandais' testimony, continued

15h34 : " I did not know that she (Maëlys) liked dogs. I did not know her ."

The president reads a statement from Maëlys' nanny: 'Maëlys loved dogs more than toys'.

- The president: "It was through the dogs that contact was made with Maëlys?

- Lelandais: "The contact is made through the phone, but I didn't know that she liked dogs. I didn't know her.

- Lelandais: " When I pressed the phone, she passed on the side. She passed by, it lasted 15 or 20 seconds, she asked me if they were my dogs, I said yes.

- The president: "In the end, this little girl got into your car. Several witnesses see your exchanges with Maëlys (during the wedding), including Maëlys' mother since she talks to her about her "friend with dogs".

- Lelandais: "The only time I saw Maëlys and we discussed dogs was when I was at the bride and groom's table."

- The president: "And then she comes back with her mother?"

- Lelandais: "Yes.

- The president: "Your statements have changed each time there has been a piece of evidence, do you agree?"

- Lelandais: " You can look at it like that. "

15:48: "From then on (the murder of Corporal Arthur Noyer), my life was a mess"

- The president: "We can't do without all your statements.

The president rereads hearings of witnesses to the marriage.

- Lelandais: "We can go back all day on my contradictions. I recognise today that I have evolved a lot. There was the media frenzy. Every day I heard things like 'serial killer', which I am not. Before 2017, I was not the person in the box. What happened with this unfortunate Corporal Arthur Noyer did happen.
It was a fight that went wrong. And from that point on, my life was a mess. I think the word vagabond is weak. I was nothing: drugs, alcohol, lies, girlfriends, and sex trips... "

15:53: Nordahl Lelandais maintains "that there was a little blond boy."

- The president: "When you hear that Maëlys' DNA was found in the car, at first you have no explanation. Then you will bring up another version with Maëlys and a little boy coming in the car to see the dogs.

The president reminds Nordahl Lelandais that the witnesses never saw a little blond boy with Maëlys.

- The president: "No one saw this incident..."

- Lelandais: "But yet that is what happened. I maintain that there was a little blond boy. I don't see why I would say that, if there wasn't."

- The president: "We asked the question to this little blond boy because you recognised him on the photographic board. He didn't get into your car, Mr Lelandais. He said he did not play with Maëlys and 'no I did not get into a car'. This scene nobody saw...".

- Lelandais: "I maintain it. I don't see why I would say..."

16:04: "The child arrived, she said to me 'You're leaving, are you going to see your dogs?

- The president: "What can you tell us about the moment when she approaches your vehicle?"

- Lelandais: "As I was leaving to go towards my home, I had my windows open. The little girl arrived, she said to me, 'You're leaving, are you going to see your dogs? I said 'yes' and she wanted to come. I said 'you have to ask' and she said 'no but mum said I could go and see the dogs'.

- The president: "And it is she who opens the door?

- Lelandais: "Yes.

- The president: "The difficulty is that you say that today, but you will have statements that will evolve."

16:08: The president asks why on the evening of the events he did not give the gendarmes the number of the mobile phone he was using

- The president: "At 2.15am, a witness saw you alone with Maëlys outside and then each of you went in through a different entrance. You are going to leave the village hall with Maëlys in your vehicle at 2.45 am and you immediately put yourselves in aeroplane mode. When the gendarmes asked you for your number, you gave them the number of the iPhone that you did not use on the evening of the event. Why don't you give the gendarmes the number of the mobile phone you are using?

- Lelandais: "Because the line was going to be cut off.

- The president: "Why don't you say that you were afraid that your telephone line would be tapped? Why did you have this line cut, which is the one you had on the night of the events?

- Lelandais: "I'm answering your question.

- The president: "When you leave the village hall with Maëlys, you activate the plane mode. There are 10 minutes between 7:07 and 7:17 when you will disconnect from the network. What do you have to say about this today?

- Lelandais: "As I was leaving the car park I realised that I was going out to get cocaine, that I was drunk, that I had a little girl with me."

- The president: "What we also know is that you rarely go into aeroplane mode (phone study) and that August 27 is the day you go into aeroplane mode the most."

- Lelandais: "Because I'm going to get cocaine with a little girl next to me."

16:14: Lelandais faced with contradictions in his statements: "In 2017, I did not want to recognize the facts"

The president confronts him with the contradictions with the statements of November 2017

Lelandais: "In 2017, I did not want to acknowledge the facts."

16:24: The president continues to point out the contradictions of Lelandais

- Lelandais: "You can tell me the shorts, the phone, the cocaine, Madam President I lied. We know today why I lied.

- The president: "The two witnesses with whom you took cocaine during the wedding both came to explain the same thing, namely that you come back after the meal with a 1g of cocaine, you go and take a rail in the toilet. One around a quarter past midnight and a second one an hour later, but no more. These two people say they didn't ask you to go back for cocaine in the evening.

- Lelandais: "I maintain that I was indeed asked to go and get cocaine a second time, because there was not enough left."

- President: What did you do with the shorts, Mr Lelandais?

- Lelandais: I threw them in the dumpster.

- The president: "We looked for them, we never found the shorts, Mr Lelandais. About the wine stain, are you talking nonsense?

- Lelandais: "Of course it's nonsense. If I told the gendarmes I threw my shorts away because I had the blood of a little girl on me... That's why I said it was a wine stain."

- The president: "But it is also this propensity to tell stories in very specific detail that surprises Mr Lelandais."

The president insists.

- Lelandais: "Of course I lied. I said things to avoid saying 'Yes, I killed a little girl'. I'll give you that."

16:38: Lelandais does not understand that nobody saw him leave the wedding with Maëlys

- The president: "If we go back to the re-enactment that we saw yesterday, nobody saw you leave the wedding?"

- Lelandais: "There were always people passing by, going to the back car park.

- The president: "According to you, there was at least one person passing by when Maëlys was getting into the car?"

- Lelandais: "There were always people, whether inside or outside."

- The president: "Yet everyone was questioned and no one saw you. One witness said 'I don't understand how he could have left with a little girl with all the people smoking outside.'

- Lelandais: "I don't understand.

16:42: Lelandais assures that Maëlys did not scream in the car

The interrogation of Nordahl Lelandais continues. The president evokes the images of the video surveillance. "This is two minutes after you left the village hall."

- The president: "The little girl is on the passenger side, against the door?"

- Lelandais: "No, I don't remember her being against the door. She was on the passenger side.

- The president: And four minutes after you left, you hit her with these blows that the coroner described as extremely violent. Within four minutes you killed Maelys.

- Lelandais: "If you tell me that up to the Super U it's four minutes, yes it is.

- The president: "What are the last words that the child says to you? Is she crying?

- Lelandais: "I don't remember her speaking. At that moment there is a silence. No, she is not crying.

- The president: "Does she say to you 'I want to go back to the village hall'?"

- Lelandais: "I don't remember, I'm sorry. I would like to remember.

- Lelandais: "I would just like to clarify that there was a moment in the investigation when I was on very heavy medication and I had difficulty answering some questions. This is not to make excuses.

16:50: "Maybe as a little girl she thought she was also doing something stupid," Lelandais tries to explain why Maëlys cried

The president returns to Maëlys' crying.

- Lelandais: "Maybe as a little girl she thought she was also doing something stupid to leave in the night. If she cried, it's because perhaps she felt that it was something she shouldn't do.

16:54: Lelandais hit Maëlys "three or four times

- The president: "Why, when she asks to return to the village hall, don't you take her back to her parents?

- Lelandais: "There is something that came back to me from what happened in April 2017 (the death of Arthur Noyer). How to explain the inexplicable in fact? I can't explain what I felt. Everything is mixed up. It's confusing, you don't know what you're doing or where you are.

- The president: "Maëlys probably died in the car (according to the experts' statements). At what point did Maëlys die?"

- Lelandais: "For me, at the moment when I take the pulse, one or two minutes after the blows, it was at that moment."

- The president: "The coroner explained yesterday that it was possible but that it was short. How many blows, Mr Lelandais?

- Lelandais: "Three or four, I can't tell you exactly."

- The president: "When you strike three or four extremely violent blows on a little girl who weighs less than 30kg, does that inevitably lead to her death?"

- Lelandais: "That's what it unfortunately led to, yes.

- The president: "Do you acknowledge today that you voluntarily gave blows and therefore voluntarily caused the death of Maëlys?"

- Lelandais: "I voluntarily gave these blows but I did not intend to cause her death.

- The president: "So blows without the intention to kill her?

17:00: The president questions Nordahl Lelandais about the scratches found on his hands and shoulders

- The president: "The locks of Maëlys' hair that the expert explained yesterday had been cut at both ends?"

- Lelandais: "I have no explanation".

- Lelandais: "I never used a sharp object on this child. I don't understand.

- The president: "Neither do we."

BBM

to be continued

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members