France - Machine Gun attack on magazine Charlie Hebdo #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really sounds to me like they are trying to get across the border into Belgium, I wonder if they have supporters there.

Place de la Republique still looks full of people on TV, though it's late evening and seems to be pretty wet. There were a few hundred people out in Frankfurt, Germany today too, paying their respects. Pouring with rain there too, but it's unseasonably warm in Germany at this time, so I doubt it bothered them.

There have also been subdued assemblies in Thailand for the victims. Where public assemblies are banned, so people took some risk to pay tribute to those who lost their lives in France, over freedom of expression.

Voltaire's famous misquote which I have been hearing a lot in the last few days.

Quote: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(“Je désapprouve ce que vous dites, mais je défendrai à la mort votre droit à le dire”)

What Voltaire actually said was “Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too” from Voltaire’s Essay on Tolerance – that certainly doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. The misquote actually comes from a 1907 book called Friends of Voltaire, by Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

http://listverse.com/2008/05/15/top-10-famous-historic-misquotes/

Still works :)

Longpont is a small country town with small country town roads, dark, not easy to get around: from livecast http://www.france24.com/en/

I was just watching shots of it on a French channel. I bet there are lots of barns around to hide out in. But these guys might even have hijacked another car and driver, and forced the person to drive them anywhere. I am hoping they have run out of ammo now, and don't have backup supplies.

Is there some political or legal advantage for them seeking to cross into Belgium?

Voltaire's famous misquote which I have been hearing a lot in the last few days.

Quote: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(“Je désapprouve ce que vous dites, mais je défendrai à la mort votre droit à le dire”)

What Voltaire actually said was “Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too” from Voltaire’s Essay on Tolerance – that certainly doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. The misquote actually comes from a 1907 book called Friends of Voltaire, by Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

http://listverse.com/2008/05/15/top-10-famous-historic-misquotes/

Still works :)

Oh whoops, thanks for letting us know, I had just used the misquote on FB in response to someone, I'll rectify it now. I was lazy not checking facts! :)

Hey find em! Not by invading thousands of citizens right to privacy, freedome from invasion etc etc! I am wondering if they killed themsleves, if not then maybe this is far bigger "operation" in terms of having hide out. But they left their id, went to the wrong place etc, so maybe they were stoned (he apparently was a party person earlier.

Sounds like pot, shoe, wrong door , lost my id, ahhh I remember the days ..........

Yes I personally don't see a problem with extraordinary measures like door to door searches.
It may be intimidating as heavily armed special forces try to enter people's homes but I believe there is a just cause.
Seems legal and reasonable for authorities to respond that way, and only a few people are complaining (This what happened here in Ferguson nonsense)
Terrorists could have easily entered a private home, taken people hostage etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there some political or legal advantage for them seeking to cross into Belgium?

I think the tactic may be to keep it going as long as possible. That would resonate with the Boston experience.

I'm just wondering why they would fill their car up with petrol this morning only to abandon it down the road. Anyone thinking they got picked up ? The ID card that was "lost" was that because it wasn't needed anymore ?

The New Yorker via Twitter

"People with many ideas ... were slaughtered by people with only one.” Anthony Lane on #CharlieHebdo: http://t.co/a0kl65pruw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A convoy of police vehicles is LEAVING Villers-Cotterets .. ??

Salon:

Cartoon Debate
The case for mocking religion.

On Wednesday, gunmen attacked the offices of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 12. The magazine was known for printing images of the prophet Mohammed, including the 2005 cartoons that originally ran in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, leading to widespread violence. In February 2006, Christopher Hitchens addressed that controversy in his inimitable way.

I did not always agree with Hitchens politics, but oh how he could write! Thanks for the link. I had not seen that piece of his.

I'm just wondering why they would fill their car up with petrol this morning only to abandon it down the road. Anyone thinking they got picked up ? The ID card that was "lost" was that because it wasn't needed anymore ?

According to Le Monde, there is no indication that they abandoned their car:

LePoin.fr reports:

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/en-di...nnu-comme-agresseur-08-01-2015-1895033_23.php

Translation:

21 h 43. Contrary to what AFP reported earlier in the day, sources close to the case cited by Le Monde.fr indicate that "there is no confirmation that the car of the suspects was abandoned".

BBM

There is no political or legal advantage for the suspects to flee to Belgium.
The Belgian Special Forces are waiting for them, and if they get caught alive there, they will be swiftly extradited.
BTW if they are still near Longpont, as is assumed, they are nearer to Paris than to Belgium.

The way I understand some of the strategy of the French, is that they made sure that the suspects could not rely on or hide with their next of kin or friends.
Basically, they are on their own now. There seems to have been no plan about what to do after the massacre.

I know I know it's CNN but.... Barbara S. from the Pentagon just reported one of the Brothers (I believe Said) trained in 2011 with Al Qaeda in Yemen
ETA-France to U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member