Frank Petersen, US Marines' first black aviator and general, has died

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by zwiebel, Aug 30, 2015.

1. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

Retired General Frank E. Petersen, the first black American to become an aviator in the US Marines and then a general, has died of complications from lung cancer, aged 83. When he retired, it was as the most senior aviator of both the US Navy and the marines and a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars. He flew over 350 combat missions.

He was also an author:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-first-black-aviator-general-dies-83-n417466

2. Loading...

3. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

thank you General Petersen, for your many years of service. Rest in the knowledge you are appreciated. You blazed a trail for others and protected all of us, all at once. That is some accomplishment, Sir.

4. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Well-Known Member

That's an impressive collection of ribbons on his chest, and I can see one is a purple heart.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/sto...-jr-first-black-marine-aviator-dies/71295010/

RIP Sir.

5. nothingnew

nothingnew Active Member

No offense to you or General Petersen but I do believe Eugene Bullard was the trailblazer that gets little thanks from enough folks, IMO.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Bullard

6. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

I'm familiar with the histories of both of these men, and I don't understand your post at all. This thread is not about a competition; it's a eulogy.

7. nothingnew

nothingnew Active Member

Yay! I'm glad you're familiar with their histories. Eugene Bullard is long gone and so many people know nothing of him, it's sad. I'll take every opportunity to get someone to the door of knowledge of great Americans that I feel get overlooked. I'd never in a million years expect you to understand my thoughts. And I'm not saying that in a mean way. I'm sure there's a much better word than "expect" for that sentence but I can't think of one at the moment.

8. montana_16

montana_16 Active Member

From what I'm understanding is the story is that he was the first Black American Marine aviator.

We know, of course there were previous Black American aviators.
    What bothers me most is the stupid ass racism he had to face as so many other black people have no matter what they have accomplished do every day.