FRAUD - Tammy & Sidney Moorer in Heather Elvis case, hearing held 17 Dec 2018

If the $10k found in the safe is the stolen money, that it is possible it was being saved for the children's college education. Obviously it is wrong to steal, but maybe they had good intentions. $10k over a 7-year-old period is about $1428/year...$119/month. I am reading about people who committed medicare fraud who stole over $1 million dollars, and they all only received about 2 years in prison.

I don't think Medicaid pays you in cash, it pays the medical provider. People who under-report their income to recieve benefits, deal in cash, so that there is no record of what they have. Probably the only money deposited in the bank acct, was money that was reported by who ever paid it to them. Then you can pay electric and such, to try to establish that is what you're living on.
Hate to say it, but I live in SC also, know people who do this, and would report them, if I knew how.

I doubt this had anything to do with Heather's death. I live in SC and I know lots of people who get medicaid. Its not that shocking around here and, to be honest, Heather probably knew lots of people who were on medicaid also. I would bet that many people I know wouldnt qualify if they were being truthful.

As for the waitress/tip income, Ive worked at two places where I calculated time cards for tipped employees. A lot of them only claim the difference in their paid wage and the minimum wage times the hours they worked. Meaning a waitress being paid 2.25 an hour for 10 hours would draw 22.50 on a check and would claim $50 (7.25 -2.25 x 10) in tips. Total pay reported would be 72.50. Anything made above that usually wasnt claimed. The only way the irs could catch it would be if the establishment created a daily sales tally, calculated 15% of the total, calculated hours per waitress, and included it in the allocated tips portion of their w2s. Neither of my employers did that. From what I saw as a former tax preparer this is the normal in this area.

Not defending TM in any way but underreporting tips is probably the least of her misdeeds!

bbm

Nothing wrong with someone applying for and receiving Medicaid if they qualify for it. If, on the other hand, they lie to get it they are defrauding and stealing from the taxpayers who pay for it - their fellow citizens, neighbors, people like you and me. Common or not, it's wrong, and I'm glad that prosecutors are willing to fight it.

ETA: Not meaning to imply by bolding that this is a SC problem; I realize it is a nation-wide issue.

I agree 100%. The saving for college cracked me up.:floorlaugh: Raise your hand if you think TM would...

A. Allow any money that could be spent on Disney vacations to be spent on something that may actually benefit her kids,such as a college education.

B. Put her kids before Disney vacations.

C. Refuse to use extra cash for Disney vacations.

D. Deny herself any and all Disney vacations possible.

Example of Disney before her kids. TM posted on her Dis boards that they were finally able to make their dream come true and go on this particular Disney cruise. However, the ship only had room for 4 and she claims that her oldest son "volunteered" to stay behind. She ended up spending over $300.00 on him to get him to "volunteer" to stay home while she and the rest of the family sailed away. TM gets what she wants one way or another and her needs are first...always.

Post # 255
In January the perfect opportunity arose for us to sail on the Wonder. This was a last second trip, literally. I booked and sailed within 72 hours. It wasn't even that long I don't think. The ship only had room for four of my five to cruise so my oldest son volunteered to stay home. (I had to work out a deal and he spent $300+, but four of us were headed to Miami!) I was a little concerned about sailing on an older ship after being on the new ones. I was excited to go though, and no matter what we would make the best of it.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3011143&page=17

I think that shows how obsessive TM is, probably in most areas of her life. She was obsessed with Disney, come hell or high water that's what they did. She became obsessed with Heather, she made Heather disappear, and apparently not without some traces that prove how TM made that happen.

It's not shocking. I determine eligiblity for medicaid for a living. What is shocking is the amount of people who commit fraud to receive the benefits. Getting free medical and snap benefits while bragging about their beach vacations and new cars on fb.

It sickens me that people actually do that.

I think if one is found guilty of fraud, the jury takes into account how much they stole when deciding what the punishment should be, along with other factors like whether were running a ring, how long it went on for, etc. I definitely think a healthcare professional who steals millions is going to get a longer sentence than someone who lies on their forms and receives a few thousand/year.

http://www.fbi.gov/sacramento/press...s-in-prison-for-role-in-medicare-fraud-scheme

http://www.mcknights.com/two-provid...es-for-medicaremedicaid-fraud/article/267424/

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/c...enced-33-months-federal-prison-medicare-fraud

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/latestlocalnews/1601300-8/yakima-podiatrist-gets-1-year-plus-1-day

http://em.gmnews.com/news/2013-08-1..._receives_prison_time_for_Medicaid_fraud.html

http://www.justice.gov/usao/md/news...nForHealthCareFraudForImproperlyBillingM.html
Nice research! Medicaid is not the same as Medicare, however, and Medicaid is administered differently by each state (kind of like how there is the death penalty in some states and not in others).

From South Carolina:
Truman Lewis, the agency’s founder, received a 10-year prison sentence while his brother, Norman Lewis, received a 7 1/2-year sentence. Norman Lewis operated the agency’s Georgetown office. Both men also were ordered to pay $3.3 million in restitution to the Medicaid program and will be on three years of supervised release after their sentences are completed, according to Winston Holliday, the assistant U.S. attorney who prosecuted the case.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/03/19/5787094/sc-brothers-who-founded-charity.html

They bilked the charity out of 8.9 million. If you compare this to the New York article you posted where the township resident bilked Medicaid out of 7.7 million and only got 3 years in prison, you'll see that South Carolina appears to be a little more strict. Probably because Medicaid fraud is a big problem in SC. http://www.southcarolinaradionetwork.com/2014/03/03/medicaid-fraud-continues-to-be-a-problem-in-sc/

I agree that the jury will take into account how long the fraud went on, what the money was spent on (if their attorney could prove that they went on no trips or did any expensive upgrades during that time), etc. If they got a jury of people who think defrauding medicaid is no big deal, then they'd get off really cheap.

I think that LE is going to continue to keep adding charges as a bargaining point if either chooses to make a deal in exchange for information (assuming they are guilty-I must put in that disclaimer). JMO.

I think that shows how obsessive TM is, probably in most areas of her life. She was obsessed with Disney, come hell or high water that's what they did. She became obsessed with Heather, she made Heather disappear, and apparently not without some traces that prove how TM made that happen.

I agree and this pic of TM came up in a google search and it really creeps me out. She claimed to be 24 in this pic and the hair and outfit look very similar to Heather's long hair and her TK uniform.

Attachments

• Tammy.gif
    Tammy.gif
    37.1 KB · Views: 178
I knew they were doing something shady!!! Wait until the IRS gets a hold of them. These two make me sick! I work in health care. When I worked in assisted living we had to fight insurance companies tooth and nail for even basic things for our residence sometimes. People like these two are partly why. Don't get me started on our military and their benefits. Well you know the old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say.....

Sent from my celery phone using Tapatalk.

BBM

Sorry O/T and I probably should just ignore this comment but it really upsets me when I hear others complain about the benefits for the military.

For starters, the military isn't the only place offering benefits to their employees. The benefits are part of the salary or job package, different companies , different benefits. Every 18 year old American can apply for a job with the military...and with the wide assortment of jobs available in the military, the military isn't always that picky..pass a physical, pass a basic knowledge test, complete boot camp...your in.
Everyone had the same choice to join the military and receive the benefits or find work and benefits elsewhere. So I really don't understand why people complain about military benefits when it was their choice to pass on a military job and the benefits in the first place.

But the main reason it upsets me to hear people complain about the benefits in the military is because each and every service member earns those benefits and more. When they enlisted they were told they would receive x,y & z as benefits and in return they had no choice but to work when told to work, live where told to live, often perform a job assigned rather than chosen. As a member of the military , they had to be willing to be deployed for months on end , eat packaged meals, go without showers, and sleep on the ground. They had to accept the possibility of being sent to war, of being shot at several times a day. They had to accept the possibility of seeing their friends severely wounded , killed or being killed themselves.

My husband served 20 years in the Air Force and deployed to the Gulf War twice. He has been having health issues since returning from the Gulf War . His benefit ? The Tricare Insurance for which , he pays premiums, deductibles and co-pays on and his retirement pay which non- military persons can work 20 years and receive retirement pay too.. So I am not sure what benefit he has that isn't available in the civilian world.

My uncle was a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam War, was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, and is now dying from cancer attributed to Agent Orange. He served 4 years, not long enough to be eligible to participate in Tricare insurance or receive retirement pay. He does receive a percentage of his pay from 1968 through the VA disability program..a whopping $142 a month !

My son-in-law served in the Marines for 4 years, was in Afghanistan for a year during the worst of it. His job was to find IEDs and other explosives. He watched several friends lose limbs, lose their lives, and had a severe injury to his shoulder. He is not eligible for Tricare insurance, or retirement pay, and if he can take the time off work and go through all the VA red tape to receive disability pay he maybe able to receive, at most, a whopping $300 a month for losing 50% use of his arm and be in pain for the rest of his life. VA Disability really isn't any different than Workman's comp so what benefit do these men have that isn't available at a civilian job ?

Please forgive me for this long off topic post... hopefully the mods won't delete it..and hopefully people will stop viewing the military and their benefits in the same light as people who abuse the medicaid programs.. Our military personnel earn every dime of their pay, their benefits and more.. hopefully one day they will be given every ounce of our respect, too . They deserve nothing less from all of us !

So she was home schooling them, just to then send them off to college?

Yeah...........sure she was

I don't get it. Is the joke that homeschooled kids don't go to college??? That would be a shock to many homeschooling families I know... including MINE.

snipped...

Please forgive me for this long off topic post... hopefully the mods won't delete it..and hopefully people will stop viewing the military and their benefits in the same light as people who abuse the medicaid programs.. Our military personnel earn every dime of their pay, their benefits and more.. hopefully one day they will be given every ounce of our respect, too . They deserve nothing less from all of us !

When I read the OP's posting, I took it to mean that the military is NOT getting the benefits they deserve because of the Medicaid fraud. I don't think it was a slam against the military. At least I hope it wasn't!

Nice research! Medicaid is not the same as Medicare, however, and Medicaid is administered differently by each state (kind of like how there is the death penalty in some states and not in others).

From South Carolina:
Truman Lewis, the agency’s founder, received a 10-year prison sentence while his brother, Norman Lewis, received a 7 1/2-year sentence. Norman Lewis operated the agency’s Georgetown office. Both men also were ordered to pay $3.3 million in restitution to the Medicaid program and will be on three years of supervised release after their sentences are completed, according to Winston Holliday, the assistant U.S. attorney who prosecuted the case.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/03/19/5787094/sc-brothers-who-founded-charity.html

They bilked the charity out of 8.9 million. If you compare this to the New York article you posted where the township resident bilked Medicaid out of 7.7 million and only got 3 years in prison, you'll see that South Carolina appears to be a little more strict. Probably because Medicaid fraud is a big problem in SC. http://www.southcarolinaradionetwork.com/2014/03/03/medicaid-fraud-continues-to-be-a-problem-in-sc/

I agree that the jury will take into account how long the fraud went on, what the money was spent on (if their attorney could prove that they went on no trips or did any expensive upgrades during that time), etc. If they got a jury of people who think defrauding medicaid is no big deal, then they'd get off really cheap.

I think that LE is going to continue to keep adding charges as a bargaining point if either chooses to make a deal in exchange for information (assuming they are guilty-I must put in that disclaimer). JMO.

Oops...I don't know why I read it as Medicare instead of Medicaid. I know they are different, I guess I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, in the example, you posted the two men ran a charity and stole millions. It is more complex than lying on your form and receiving some $$ you should not. So if using a charity to steal almost $9 million gets you 7 and 10 years in prison, what would lying on your forms get? Also it being a problem in SC could mean that the state does not have the money to send everyone who commits Medicaid fraud to prison to serve lengthy sentences.

Also in regards to the bold part... There are a lot of people who have committed rape, killed someone while drunk driving, or committed child abuse, and received very lenient sentences. Did those juries think those crimes were no big deal? Well, possibly...I don't know what went on in deliberations...but lenient sentences for severe crimes happen all the time.

When I read the OP's posting, I took it to mean that the military is NOT getting the benefits they deserve because of the Medicaid fraud. I don't think it was a slam against the military. At least I hope it wasn't!

Thank you for shining a different light on OP's posting ...you may be right. If so my sincerest apologies to JaelynKL..and to everyone else for my long OT rant.

I don't get it. Is the joke that homeschooled kids don't go to college??? That would be a shock to many homeschooling families I know... including MINE.

I was thinking the same thing. When I was in college, the president of our honor society chapter had been home-schooled through high-school. He was a really smart (and decent) guy.

Tammy is a poor example of a lot of things, including human being. We shouldn't judge all home-schoolers (or all humans) from her example.

I was thinking the same thing. When I was in college, the president of our honor society chapter had been home-schooled through high-school. He was a really smart (and decent) guy.

Tammy is a poor example of a lot of things, including human being. We shouldn't judge all home-schoolers (or all humans) from her example.

Agree. IMO Tammy homeschooled her children for the wrong reasons. It seems as if she did so to fly under the radar by keeping a low profile. I don't think she liked to get up early, or answer to anyone. If she was trying to hide a problem with alcohol, she may have preferred less contact with people who are reporters in the school system.

BBM

Sorry O/T and I probably should just ignore this comment but it really upsets me when I hear others complain about the benefits for the military.

For starters, the military isn't the only place offering benefits to their employees. The benefits are part of the salary or job package, different companies , different benefits. Every 18 year old American can apply for a job with the military...and with the wide assortment of jobs available in the military, the military isn't always that picky..pass a physical, pass a basic knowledge test, complete boot camp...your in.
Everyone had the same choice to join the military and receive the benefits or find work and benefits elsewhere. So I really don't understand why people complain about military benefits when it was their choice to pass on a military job and the benefits in the first place.

But the main reason it upsets me to hear people complain about the benefits in the military is because each and every service member earns those benefits and more. When they enlisted they were told they would receive x,y & z as benefits and in return they had no choice but to work when told to work, live where told to live, often perform a job assigned rather than chosen. As a member of the military , they had to be willing to be deployed for months on end , eat packaged meals, go without showers, and sleep on the ground. They had to accept the possibility of being sent to war, of being shot at several times a day. They had to accept the possibility of seeing their friends severely wounded , killed or being killed themselves.

My husband served 20 years in the Air Force and deployed to the Gulf War twice. He has been having health issues since returning from the Gulf War . His benefit ? The Tricare Insurance for which , he pays premiums, deductibles and co-pays on and his retirement pay which non- military persons can work 20 years and receive retirement pay too.. So I am not sure what benefit he has that isn't available in the civilian world.

My uncle was a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam War, was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, and is now dying from cancer attributed to Agent Orange. He served 4 years, not long enough to be eligible to participate in Tricare insurance or receive retirement pay. He does receive a percentage of his pay from 1968 through the VA disability program..a whopping $142 a month !

My son-in-law served in the Marines for 4 years, was in Afghanistan for a year during the worst of it. His job was to find IEDs and other explosives. He watched several friends lose limbs, lose their lives, and had a severe injury to his shoulder. He is not eligible for Tricare insurance, or retirement pay, and if he can take the time off work and go through all the VA red tape to receive disability pay he maybe able to receive, at most, a whopping $300 a month for losing 50% use of his arm and be in pain for the rest of his life. VA Disability really isn't any different than Workman's comp so what benefit do these men have that isn't available at a civilian job ?

I should clarify what I meant. I was not complaining they get benefits. I meant that they do not get what they SHOULD receive. My dad was in Vietnam when they flew the agent orange too. Out of his unit only three people are alive the rest have died from cancer. My grandfather got a purple heart in WW II. He lost his right arm and hearing from the shrapnel. I know career military at church that have had their benefits cut. That was why I said what I said. People like TM and SM scam the system and got by with it for a while, in the mean time our military are coming home from war and are basically shoved aside. It is not right.

Sorry I should have worded it better :'(

Thank you for shining a different light on OP's posting ...you may be right. If so my sincerest apologies to JaelynKL..and to everyone else for my long OT rant.

It is ok. I should have worded it better. I would have ranted too. That is why I said it the way I did. It makes me so mad. ♥♥♥♥♥

These new charges should finally bring home to TM that the only "Magic Kingdom" she's going to see for a long time, is the in the non-Fantasy Land of a penitentiary.

These new charges are, for lack of a better word, piggy. Pigs gobbling up limited resources paid into a system by honest hard working people...that are meant for the neediest among us. It speaks to the lowest form of moral "character" to lavish oneself and brag about your "wealth" as TM continually did...while you are sucking away other taxpayers money and ripping off those truly in need!

It is delicious that the public now has this window into the "ethics" and "me first" mentality that this couple represent...because it speaks to motive and perverted mindset evident in the alleged crime.

TM is all about indulging her own "needs" in my opinion....whether it's in ripping off a program designed for the needy to indulge her need to go to Disney and appear "rich" , or indulging her need to drive around town and text pictures of herself having sex to a rival...or indulging her need to supposedly make her rival disappear. She is all about self-indulgence to the sickest of excess.

IMO She will find few ways to indulge herself in the years ahead.

I know quite a few people who were home schooled and went on to college. I can't speak for anyone else but for me...the joke is the thought that TM was saving money in a safe to send her kids to college. I don't see her doing that for her kids...not because they were home schooled but because TM is too selfish to use that money to benefit her kids.JMO

I really didn't think that couple could be revealed to be any more despicable than they had already been revealed to be. And now they have been. God, how many more people are there like that?

I think there is fraud in all gov't services. People who don't deserve the services. That includes the military, school system, congress, etc....
Also some people home school their children because they don't want them exposed to the mess that is the public school system. BUT, some people do it because they are too lazy to get the kids up, get them ready, to school on time, help with the homework. If TM didn't even throw out rotten food, I really can't see her sitting 3 kids down and doing the work.
I thought ( or I was told) that if recieved benefits in SC, you couldn't homeschool, you HAD to attend public school, just so the kids could be monitored by someone.

I think there is fraud in all gov't services. People who don't deserve the services. That includes the military, school system, congress, etc....
Also some people home school their children because they don't want them exposed to the mess that is the public school system. BUT, some people do it because they are too lazy to get the kids up, get them ready, to school on time, help with the homework. If TM didn't even throw out rotten food, I really can't see her sitting 3 kids down and doing the work.
I thought ( or I was told) that if recieved benefits in SC, you couldn't homeschool, you HAD to attend public school, just so the kids could be monitored by someone.

I agree that it's difficult if not impossible to picture TM teaching these kids anything but home schooled kids have to be tested to insure that they are actually learning something at home and I believe she would have to take them to a facility for the testing. I don't know about SC but that is how it's done where I live. Any locals have any idea about how home schooling works in SC?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back