Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskers16

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
This post contains a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Each question below links to a post in the thread containing the answer. Posts may be updated from time to time as the site evolves or as we come across more to share.

Forum - Basics
Forum Navigation
Moderators ("Mods")
Conversations and Other User Interactions
Forum - Advanced
Forum - Privacy Options
Account Questions
Forum Changes (new forum launched ~May 2018)
Coming soon...
  • What are trophy points?
  • Can I filter cases by my State (ex. AZ)?

If you have a suggestion for the FAQ list please report to me via Conversation. This thread is not open for replies.

Last edited:
What is the difference between a post, thread, forum, etc?
  • Post = Individual reply by user; can be an independent thought or can be in reply to another post.
  • Thread = A collection of posts about a defined topic
  • Forum = A group of threads relating to the same category or topic
Example:
Forum: Missing Persons Discussion
Thread 1: IL - Bob, 89, Chicago, 30 Dec 1995
Post 1: Bob is missing
Post 2: I hope Bob is found
Thread 2: TX - Sally, 34, Dallas, 8 Jul 2018
Post 1: Sally was last seen at Target
Post 2: There was a search for Sally last night

How do I edit or delete what I posted?
  • There is no option to completely delete
  • Within the first 60 minutes of posting, you can click "Edit" to modify the content of your post:
How to Edit Post.jpg
  • As a courtesy, it is best practice to leave your original post and add your changes at the end with the prefix "ETA" (edited to add).

How and when should I report a post?
  • Any post which violates the rules of the forum should be reported
  • Click "report" on the post, type in a descriptive reason, and click Submit
Examples of reports:
"Not victim friendly"
"Rumor from facebook group"
"Rude comment toward another poster"

Can I browse/post on Websleuths on all my devices?
  • Absolutely! We suggest that everyone tries exploring Websleuths on a phone, tablet and a full monitor.
  • When using handheld devices you should look at both landscape and portrait mode. You will see some big differences and get a better idea of which way is best to surf Websleuths for your own individual needs.
  • The display will appear differently on different screen sizes. For example, the "right sidebar" menu on a PC that shows the staff online, birthdays, etc. may display at the bottom of the page on a phone.
  • Some items visible on a larger screen like a PC or tablet may not be visible at all on a smaller screen.

How do conversations/PMs (Private Messages) work?
  • You can have 1-to-1 messages with another user
  • You can send group messages with up to 20 users
  • The conversation is not public, no one in management can see it, and the only people who can read the conversation are those who are actually participating.
  • Note: please be aware that conversation messages CAN be reported to moderators but only by participants in the conversation.

How do I start a conversation with someone?
  • To start a conversation with a specific user from one of their posts, click their username and select "Start a Conversation"
  • To start a conversation with multiple users, in the top right of the webpage click "Inbox" then "Start a New Conversation". Type in the names of the users you wish to invite, then compose your message.
  • If you want others to be able to invite additional participants, check the box "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others"

How do I delete a conversation from my Inbox?
  • Open the conversation and click "Leave Conversation". You will be given two options:
    • Accept future messages
    • Ignore future messages
  • To delete several at a time from your Inbox, select multiple conversations and then click "Leave Conversation".

Can I "favorite" an important conversation in my Inbox?
  • From within a conversation, you can click "Star Conversation" to identify it easily in your inbox:
StarredConvo.png

How do I add more people to a conversation?
  • To the right side of the conversation, you'll see "Conversation Participants" with the usernames of the participants. Underneath is the button to Invite More. You can invite up to 20 people.
  • Note: the "Invite More" option only shows up under conversations you started.

What is the purpose of "following" someone?
  • When you follow someone, you can easily see when they are visible online in the "Members Online Now" sidebar.
  • When you follow someone, their activity shows up on your news feed page. This includes their likes, replies, or new threads.
  • A couple examples of how this can be useful:
    • You can follow a user who starts a lot of threads that you like to follow
    • You can easily access an online friend's profile or start a conversation with them
  • You can also use your Following list as a privacy measure to control who can contact you via Conversation. You can limit Conversations to people you follow.
  • To adjust the list of users you are currently following, click your username in the top right menu and select "People You Follow".

How do I see who I'm following and who's following me?
  • Click your username in the top right menu and select "Your Profile Page". On the left side it will list "Following" (people you follow) and "Followers" (people following you).
Following2.png

How do I control which users I "ignore"?
  • To control who you ignore, click your username in the top right menu and select "People You Ignore".
  • To add an ignored user, type in the username and select "Save Changes'
  • To un-ignore a user, click "stop ignoring" next to their username.
  • When you ignore someone, you won't see their posts but if other members are quoting them, the quote will appear above the person replying. Just view the reply and ignore the quote.
  • The only exception is that you cannot ignore the mods/admin.

How do I view someone's profile page?
  • From one of their posts, click their username or avatar and then choose "Profile Page"

How do I disable email notifications for Conversations?
  • In top right of webpage, click your username
  • Select "Contact Details"
  • Uncheck "Receive email when a new conversation message is received

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads