GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you. From your link with bolded emphasis by me:

The alleged rash of burglaries
Greg McMichael told Glynn County police that Arbery was suspected in "several break-ins," but no such string of crimes was reported in the weeks before the shooting. Police have yet to clarify whether Arbery is accused of any crime at a home that was being built.

The owner of the under-construction home, who is listed as a victim in the police incident report, said his surveillance system captured at least four short clips of a man who appeared to be Arbery "coming onto his property" February 23. He declined to share them with CNN and spoke on the condition of anonymity because he says he's been receiving death threats.

The man walked by the garage and down to a dock on the Little Satilla River, the motion-triggered cameras show, according to the homeowner. Asked whether they showed the man stealing or committing any other crime, he said they show him "trespassing."

[SNIP with my own notes inserted in brackets]

Prior to Arbery's shooting, the man said in a second interview Wednesday, the cameras on three or four occasions captured someone walking on the property at night -- one time stealing $2,500 of fishing tackle from a boat in his garage -- but he could not identify the perpetrator.

[so something is now alleged as stolen but was not prior to the day of the fatal shooting and that alleged theft occurred on another occasion by someone who cannot be identified as the unarmed and dead victim]

An alleged theft of that dollar amount and there's no police report? So this home owner didn't file an insurance claim on a $2000+ theft? That alone makes me question it. Also, how is it you leave expensive items laying about your home that is under construction but still at an open stage?
Just stuff that make me go hummmm.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Does anyone know if the video that was uploaded to SM is the complete video? TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
An alleged theft of that dollar amount and there's no police report? So this home owner didn't file an insurance claim on a $2000+ theft? That alone makes me question it. Also, how is it you leave expensive items laying about your home that is under construction but still at an open stage?
Just stuff that make me go hummmm.

I think there is a police report. Or, maybe it's part of the report of the shooting of AA. Someone mentioned it upthread.

I'm not contending that AA did or did not commit robbery or any other crime. To your point on not filing an insurance claim on the missing tackle, I don't find that so strange. After depreciation is factored in, along with the deductible, some people would just take the tough lesson learned and forego a claim and its hassles. MOO

<modsnip: personalizing> Arbery charged Travis HARD, grabbing the muzzle and then the gun, his charge had so much energy they went way to the left out of camera range. He didn't just swat it away. He attacked full force. Believe your eyes.
I don't blame Arbery at all.

Three men he did not know had repeatedly tried to corner him. Two then jumped out of a truck brandishing weapons. Arbery then defends himself to the best of his ability.

Arbery as an individual aside, the actions of the three men jeaprodize a free society.

In a free society, arrest authority (with certain exceptions- none of which were present here) is solely in the hands of the police. There are no 'Block Wardens' nor "Neighborhood Committees' of Nazi Germany and Maoist China respectively.

Likewise, in a free society, there are no direct, or even indirect territorial claims to public property whether it is a street, beach or forest.

In short, allowing these men to go unpunished will "inspire" others. This is a slippery, steep and winding road <modsnip>

Three shots were fired, but I'm not sure which one killed him?
Yes, this is another reason why "self defense" doesn't work. The first should would have disabled him, and the second and third shots were likely meant to kill him. He collapsed within seconds. I'm guessing he was shot at least once in the chest.

He was murdered in the middle of the street in broad daylight.

Imo

You do not know that Ahmaud initiated contact? That's the word of the McMichaels. Of course they'll say he initiated contact. Not one of us can see or say who initiated contact because the truck is in the way. We do know that Travis lunged 8 feet toward conflict to Ahmaud's 1 foot.
Watching this, I see Arbery lunge hard to the left after passing the Truck, to engage physically. The fact that he is the aggressor is pointed by the fact his charge took them all the way across the road to the left. He went more than 1 foot. <modsnip: Removed sarcastic comment>

Unfortunately all 3 shots were meant to murder him. Justice for Ahmaud!!
If he meant to kill him, he would have shot him straight away before he grabbed the dumb gun! Why wait until he grabs it and can possibly take it away? Seems like a stupid move, wait all that time. Now instead of a sure thing, it's only 50/50.

And he could have stopped and talked to them. No one forces another to engage in a fight for a gun. That is not a smart move,
I agree, it was not a smart move. It was, however, a desperate move and it was also a courageous move (I would not of had the courage to do that and I would have kept running)..

Arbery simply did not have good options:

- Continue to flee? Risk getting shot from behind,
-Stop and defend yourself? Risk getting shot
- Stop and trust that the men chasing you down while brandishing weapons only "want to talk"? Risk getting shot.
I'm not so sure how Stand your Ground works in GA. I do know if someone comes and attacks you and you have a gun, you can shoot them.

My impression is that Georgia SYG laws apply equally to all.

Thus, they allow individuals on foot being chased by men in vehicles brandishing weapons to defend themselves whether it be with a firearm or their hands.

Arbery did not have a firearm, so he was forced to defend himself with his hands to the best of his abilities.

And these black males will get arrested for their crimes and not protected and walk free for two months!

Who cares??? And I can only imagine what the shooters were able to get away with in their life being in a position of power for most of it!

He took a handgun to a game?
Well these three took guns to a lynchin
in response to posts that seem to assume that the father and son neighborhood crime fighting duo actually told Arbery "hey we have called police - please wait until they arrive"

Is there some sort of info in MSM that they said that or anything to that effect? All I have seen thus far is this:

Gregory McMichael told police that he shouted to Arbery, “Stop, stop, we want to talk to you,” before, according to their statements, they pulled up beside him in their truck.

in addition,from the same and multiple other links: Only one burglary was reported to the Glynn County Police Department in the Satilla Shores neighborhood between Jan. 1 and Feb. 23, and it involved a pistol taken from a pickup truck outside of Travis McMichael’s home, the Brunswick News reported.

I can find no evidence that that vehicle break-in was witnessed or captured on video.

Several articles containing the two 911 calls involved in this travesty state that the 911 caller at 1:08pm is quoted as saying:

In an earlier call at 1.08pm, a different unidentified caller reports “a guy in a house right now, a house under construction”. The dispatcher asks if the man is breaking into the property, to which the caller responds: “No, it’s all open, it’s under construction.”

The caller then says, “He’s running right now, and there he goes right now,” referring to Arbery, who was taking his usual jog around the neighborhood. The dispatcher asks: “OK, what is he doing?” The caller replies: “He’s running down the street.”

A few second later, the dispatcher says: “I just need to know what he was doing wrong. Was he just on the premises and not supposed to be?

EVEN IF the black male who was seen on the under construction property was Arbery, it is confirmed in the 911 call at 1:08 the property was not closed - erego - no breakin. Nothing to this day that I can find has been reported missing from that job site (ie. stolen/burgled/absconded with) on that day. At most he would be guilty of simple trespass. Certainly nothing that required an armed response from an alleged seasoned veteran former LEO and DA investigator.

I don't think a man who is jogging in broad daylight on a public thoroughfare, where he regularly did the exact same thing, is required to be psychically aware that:
a) a theft occurred in the neighborhood on a completely separate day,
b) that one the two visibly armed men chasing him and attempting to engage in a confrontation with him is former LE attempting some sort of ill conceived citizens arrest, and
c) that these men weren't there to rob, or otherwise harass or harm him HIM. (which they in fact fatally did)

MOO. "Hey, I want to talk to you?"
Would anyone really stop for that? Two vehicles, 3 white males, yelling like Yahoos then one jumps out brandishing a shotgun.

Maybe
"I am placing you on citizens arrest."
Might have resulted in Arbery stopping.

In the police report, these men admitted to already cutting Arbery off at another point. He had every reason to suspect they were out to harm him. He had already tried running away and they pursued him. IMO, he had no choice but to defend himself.

Watching this, I see Arbery lunge hard to the left after passing the Truck, to engage physically. The fact that he is the aggressor is pointed by the fact his charge took them all the way across the road to the left. He went more than 1 foot. Need a moment to roll it again?

Once Travis entered Ahmaud's space (lunging 8 feet toward conflict), Ahmaud was 1 foot onto the road. Travis had moved 8 feet from his initial position. The first shot is at the 20 second mark and they are BOTH in front of the truck. At the point of contact, Travis is in Ahmaud's space. Only after first the shot, does Travis get pushed backward.

Citizen's arrest??
allowing such a thing is a recipe for
disaster- and this case represents exactly
what can go wrong in that situation

How many states allow citizens arrest

By the way, i could see my husband being
curious about an open construction site
and checking it out
<modsnip>

Over the years, Glynn County police officers have been accused of covering up allegations of misconduct, tampering with a crime scene, interfering in an investigation of a police shooting and retaliating against fellow officers who cooperated with outside investigators.
alleged cover-up of an officer’s sexual relationship with an informant. The chief, John Powell, had been hired to clean up the department, which the Glynn County manager described last fall as suffering from poor training, outdated policies and “a culture of cronyism.”
The Glynn County force was the sort of department where disciplinary records went missing and where evidence room standards were not maintained, leading the state to strip it of its accreditation.
Georgia Killing Puts Spotlight on a Police Force’s Troubled History

In the days since a Glynn County police lieutenant shot and killed his wife and a male friend while on bond for assaulting both her and other police officers, one central question has hovered over the June 28 tragedy: How could an officer who’d assaulted his wife, attacked fellow officers and threatened to kill himself be allowed bond?
The new detail contradicts Johnson’s public statement the day after the killings that her office consulted with Sasser’s victims, leaving the impression they agreed to the $5,000 bond. And it raises fresh questions about her handling of the case and why the troubled officer continued to receive special treatment from her office.

In the days since a Glynn County police lieutenant shot and killed his wife and a male friend while on bond for assaulting both her and other police officers, one central question has hovered over the June 28 tragedy: How could an officer who’d assaulted his wife, attacked fellow officers and threatened to kill himself be allowed bond?
The new detail contradicts Johnson’s public statement the day after the killings that her office consulted with Sasser’s victims, leaving the impression they agreed to the $5,000 bond. And it raises fresh questions about her handling of the case and why the troubled officer continued to receive special treatment from her office.

Wow. This is a lot to digest amid the way the office seemed to operate historically and presently. I am glad that the PD wanted to bring charges. There is a lot of clean up and transparency needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member