GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this case will hinge on whether the McMichaels were acting within Georgia laws covering citizens arrests. If they weren't then this is felony murder. If they were then they can claim self-defence because Arbery grabbed the gun.
I think if there was any evidence that a citizens arrest was justified it would have surfaced by now. It's been over two months.

So far all we have heard is that McMichaels thought Arbery's behavior was suspicious and that he was seen trespassing.

I think if there was any evidence that a citizens arrest was justified it would have surfaced by now. It's been over two months.

So far all we have heard is that McMichaels thought Arbery's behavior was suspicious and that he was seen trespassing.
Actually I have heard quite a bit more than that, hence my skepticism that a jury will agree with popular opinion once they've examined all the facts.

I don't know. In Georgia it is apparently legal to affect a citizen's arrest if you have reasonable suspicion that they have committed a felony.

Of course, whether they can convince a jury that their suspicion was reasonable remains to be seen.
I thought they had to be in the act of committing a felony.

I hadn't heard about this:

The GBI has arrested a man after a post on social media apparently threatening people protesting the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery has caught the eye of investigators.

The GBI tweeted Sunday that it is investigating a Facebook post that contains a threat to future protests connected to Arbery, who would have turned 26 on Friday, but was shot and killed Feb. 23.

On Sunday night, the agency said it had arrested Rashawn Smith, 20, and charged him with dissemination of information relating to terroristic acts. He was taken into custody in Midway, Ga.

EXu6QOcXYAEnrPL

UPDATE: GBI arrests man after social media threat to Ahmaud Arbery protests

Eta more on this:

Early reports suggest that Mr Smith used a profile with a picture of a white Trump supporter to leave a post on a community Facebook group page in which he threatened to stage a mass shooting at the Brunswick County courthouse if protesters “ranting [their]” negro spiritual” did not “call a quits on this”.

Georgia police arrest man who ‘sent hoax threat’ targeting Ahmaud Arbery protesters

Last edited:
The problem with Ahmaud "grabbing the gun" is that it appeared he may have been trying to grab the barrel of the shotgun in an attempt to deflect the shot upwards, as in self-defense.
Don't tell me he wasn't pretty much terrified at that point !!!!!!!
What was he supposed to do ?
Yes he could have stood still and even raised his hands ; but they were pointing guns at him .
And they had no legal right to order him to stop, as there was no evidence he had committed a crime.
The police do have the right to order someone to stop and stand still.
Has the Sr. McMichael terrorized anyone else in his past with LE ?
Or do either of the M.'s have 'dirt' on the DA's -- and that's why both of them refused to charge the perp's even though the LE who arrived on the scene of the murder felt there was just cause ?
It's possible there are more layers to the death of Ahmaud.

And the 'cameraman' who changed his story....
Somewhat hypocritical of him to feign horror now, after this became known to the public !
It seemed like he was filming it to show "how it all went down".
I don't feel badly for either RB or the McMichaels'.
This blew up in their faces unexpectedly, when they thought (imo) that it would all just go away quietly and there's be no 'story'.
Imo.

Last edited:
No that's for a misdemeanor. If you suspect someone of a felony in Georgia "reasonable suspicion" gives you the right to carry out a citizen's arrest.
So if someone suspects a person of committing a felony anytime in the past, and they see someone they think is the same person, it is within the law to conduct a citizens arrest?

If that is true they really need to change the law.

The msm is my source. The person who made the 911 call described it as "kind of an ongoing situation here.".

In other words they suspected him of committing crimes on occasions other than the day he was shot.
Yes, exactly. That is the evidence that shows he was not justified in carrying out a citizens arrest. He had no proof Arbery was even the same person, or that he was committing a crime. It was based on an assumption.

There's nothing mysterious about them. It's out there in the msm that Arbery had a criminal record, that there is CCTV footage dating back to last October of someone who looks very like Arbery trespassing on the grounds of the house under construction at least four times late at night, that the house owner claims to have had $2,500 worth of fishing equipment stolen, and that McMichael senior had been involved in a previous investigation into Arbery for stealing a television.

Whether that will amount to reasonable suspicion allowing them the legal right to affect a citizen's arrest will be for a jury to decide.

where’s to
So if someone suspects a person of committing a felony anytime in the past, and they see someone they think is the same person, it is within the law to conduct a citizens arrest?

where’s the msm or whatever to show that the mcmichaels were aware of all of ahmaud’s alleged misdeeds when they threw together their ill conceived (actually murder) “citizens arrest?”

and. let’s say a police officer thinks that they recognize a criminal suspect on the street. are they within the law to chase/corner the person with weapons drawn and shoot them? nope. just like the mcmichaels weren’t within the law and why they are in jail for first degree murder

That remains unclear. I guess we'll have to see what the jury makes of it all.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were acquitted.

@ChanleyCourtTV
A February 11,2020 Police Report concerning the “ongoing” trespassing by “an unknown black male” on the Satilla Dr. home under construction w/security cameras describes a man who appears to look nothing like Ahmaud Arbery

Chanley Shá Painter on Twitter

Attachments

• 8AB969BE-1D11-4FC8-ABD8-54192E0AE67D.jpeg
    8AB969BE-1D11-4FC8-ABD8-54192E0AE67D.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 0B736362-E368-43AE-A76A-DBA5BF5C5648.jpeg
    0B736362-E368-43AE-A76A-DBA5BF5C5648.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 41
  • BB9B8441-DF76-4970-8477-A90D2945DD49.jpeg
    BB9B8441-DF76-4970-8477-A90D2945DD49.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 263
There's nothing mysterious about them. It's out there in the msm that Arbery had a criminal record, that there is CCTV footage dating back to last October of someone who looks very like Arbery trespassing on the grounds of the house under construction at least four times late at night, that the house owner claims to have had $2,500 worth of fishing equipment stolen, and that McMichael senior had been involved in a previous investigation into Arbery for stealing a television.

Whether that will amount to reasonable suspicion allowing them the legal right to affect a citizen's arrest will be for a jury to decide.
The person who owned the home under construction never claimed that he had fishing equipment stolen. He specifically told the Post that he never had anything stolen from the premises.

The fact that someone has a criminal record still does not warrant a citizens arrest. Being involved in a previous investigation does not justify one, either.

Are you sure Georgia allows the arrest of a citizen by another citizen at any time after they are "suspected" of committing a crime? That doesn't make sense.

Imo

dbm.
Sorry ... too impatient to post .

I find it incredible that this was hushed up for two months.
According to initial reports, it sounded like LE had enough evidence to arrest the pair immediately !
As in-- they felt this didn't qualify for a 'stand your ground' or even a citizen's arrest --- as the M.'s did't have enough evidence to detain Ahamud.

Last edited:

bbm

If your source for the fishing equipment theft is the Daily Mail; you might want to take it with a small grain of salt.
That's where I read about the fishing equipment robbery.

I asked earlier about those allegations and another poster helpfully pointed out that the (under construction) house AA was seen walking around in was not the one where the fishing equipment was stolen.

Am interested in seeing the police report that was filed by the owner; and what is the name of the house owner on the insurance claim filed for the missing property ?
I'm assuming they filed a police report and made a claim to their insurance provider ?
That's a lot of equipment to carry away.
Was it caught on security cams ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member