GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #1

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by hlegate, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

No, I don't think they lived together. I believe he lives somewhere nearby.

2. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

With multiple shots fired, that kind of goes beyond "spur of the moment impulsive bad decision."

3. Gypsy Road

Gypsy Road Well-Known Member

Ah...I didn't know that they were not a couple anymore. I saw a picture of them in an apartment and it looked like he was consoling her and I just assumed they were still together living under the same roof. Makes more sense now why he would say the things he said.

4. necco

necco New Member

Yes, but I read somewhere that the kid who stabbed the first son in self-defense had dealt drugs to one of Shaun's friends and she almost died. I'm not sure if it was in MSM or comments somewhere, I'll have to look. But it is at least rumored that there was a drug connection there as well.

5. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

They don't live together and it is my understanding they never lived together.
    I don't believe that the idea that the two of them were not a couple anymore is accurate at all.
    The woman claims the two of them haven't got married yet, but supposedly were waiting to get married, wanting to make sure everything would work out.
    Doesn't sound like they were any more broken up than at some prior time.

6. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

Perhaps it was an understatement and you can rephrase it better but my point is that most people who actually hatch a plan to target someone would give a thought or two to things that might help them not to get caught as soon as they blink. This seems like a random chaotic crime to me more than anything that came from advance premeditation and planning (I know that legally you can be said to have premeditated if you take a second or two between shots and should have realized it will kill but that's not the kind of premeditation I mean.)

7. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

thank you jjenny, I had not heard that. Is there a link to that info? I erred in assuming they were no longer a couple because he resides across the street. TIA

8. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

tlcya, it was discussed in the raw unedited news interview with the mom that was linked here yesterday.

9. Cracka*Jaxx

Cracka*Jaxx Well-Known Member

At this point we don't really know what the motive was. We may know what words were spoken, but the motive is another thing entirely.

10. Wishbone

Wishbone Well-Known Member

The slaying happened around the corner from West's apartment in the city's Old Town historic district. It's a street lined with grand Victorian homes from the late 1800s. Most have been neatly restored by their owners. Others, with faded and flaking paint, have been divided into rental units such as the apartment West shared with her son. The slain boy's father, Luis Santiago, lives in a house across the street.

http://news.msn.com/us/ga-woman-says-shes-certain-suspect-shot-her-baby

11. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

I am so blessed never to have dealt with the loss of a child to either illness or violence. My heart goes out to Ms. West and Mr. Santiago.

12. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

13. Gypsy Road

I just hope Mr. S didn't mean what he said. And I hope he regrets and has apologized to Ms. West. They are both obviously hurting, and I guess ugly things can slip out when you are in emotional pain. I am hoping that they can come together and be there for one another emotionally. They both lost precious little Antonio. To lash out at the other doesn't help, and I fear that it will just make Ms. S fall further into despair. It's heart breaking enough, but then to have the father state such an ugly and hurtful thing to the public.

14. fran

fran Former Member

Let's stay on topic please.

This thread is about the murder of a 13 month old child, Antonio Santiago.

thanks,
    fran

15. 2door73chevy

2door73chevy Member

Checking in...Do we have any new information? Thanks!

16. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

I agree with you, Donjeta. If this was a planned attack, it was poorly planned by the perps indeed. Broad daylight, leaving at least one (possibly a neighbor too?) eyewitness, etc. Those two were caught really quickly.

Of course being so young, maybe they just are bad at planning...

17. Gypsy Road

Looking at DE facebook page yesterday I think it was inevitable that he would go on and do something like this unfortunately. Gang culture. He had no regard or respect for human life. This wasn't a true robbery gone awry - he could have wrestled Ms. West to the ground and gotten her purse EASILY without firing a shot if all he wanted was that purse and what was in it. He was set on killing someone. Maybe not on that particular day, but when Ms. West didn't give up her purse readily - he took it a step further.

18. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

I think along with mom picking him out of a line up, the police are certain they have the right people in custody.

bolding mine

19. Gypsy Road

Wonder if a security camera caught him on tape within the vicinity of the crime scene?

20. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

According to the mother, this suspect threatened to kill this infant, and then proceeded to do just that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.