GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to believe that this was not planned but a spur of the moment impulsive bad decision. Mostly because it seems such a stupid thing to plan. In broad daylight, in an urban area with people about, two undisguised and identifiable kids, a witness who can identify them, perhaps other witnesses, the getaway method by running away... It just screams we want to get caught.

If someone thought that this was a good way to target someone they are the king of stupid in addition to being evil.

With multiple shots fired, that kind of goes beyond "spur of the moment impulsive bad decision."

I have avoided posting or participating in conversation regarding the parents of Antonio because of fear of inviting refreshed speculation about them and I am not trying to further that business.

As to my thoughts on your question, I find that sad and confusing because I thought he was the person who suggested she get out of the house more and take a walk? Maybe I am mistaken or have this case confused with another.

What I will say is that it is important for everyone to remember that these parents were separated before this event. they were not a couple anymore. They were co parents. Feeling anger towards the other parent or assigning blame upon the death of a child is not at all uncommon. This happened on your watch, why did you do this, why didn't you do this, etc.

Just look at statistics of divorce in couples after the death of a child. It is very hard on a relationship that is pretty good before the death. Now apply that thinking to a couple who are already apart.

I feel very sad for both of these parents as they grieve the loss of their son. I would not be comfortable assigning too much to dad's words right now. He is a man who's lost his son. She is a woman who has lost hers.

They will both be in my prayers.

Ah...I didn't know that they were not a couple anymore. I saw a picture of them in an apartment and it looked like he was consoling her and I just assumed they were still together living under the same roof. Makes more sense now why he would say the things he said.

I don't believe her first son's death has anything to do with any supposed actuions against drug dealers.

"The boy who stabbed Shaun Glassey acted in self-defense, police found, and will not be charged. Glassey and four juvenile companions, who were not named because of their ages, lured the unarmed 17-year-old via text message to a location on Lawnton Avenue, where they planned their attack, according to the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office. "

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/NEWS01/80313044&nclick_check=1

Yes, but I read somewhere that the kid who stabbed the first son in self-defense had dealt drugs to one of Shaun's friends and she almost died. I'm not sure if it was in MSM or comments somewhere, I'll have to look. But it is at least rumored that there was a drug connection there as well.

Ah...I didn't know that they were not a couple anymore. I saw a picture of them in an apartment and it looked like he was consoling her and I just assumed they were still together living under the same roof. Makes more sense now why he would say the things he said.

They don't live together and it is my understanding they never lived together.
I don't believe that the idea that the two of them were not a couple anymore is accurate at all.
The woman claims the two of them haven't got married yet, but supposedly were waiting to get married, wanting to make sure everything would work out.
Doesn't sound like they were any more broken up than at some prior time.

With multiple shots fired, that kind of goes beyond "spur of the moment impulsive bad decision."

Perhaps it was an understatement and you can rephrase it better but my point is that most people who actually hatch a plan to target someone would give a thought or two to things that might help them not to get caught as soon as they blink. This seems like a random chaotic crime to me more than anything that came from advance premeditation and planning (I know that legally you can be said to have premeditated if you take a second or two between shots and should have realized it will kill but that's not the kind of premeditation I mean.)

thank you jjenny, I had not heard that. Is there a link to that info? I erred in assuming they were no longer a couple because he resides across the street. TIA

tlcya, it was discussed in the raw unedited news interview with the mom that was linked here yesterday.

No, why would it be? The motive was robbery, not race, gender or sexuality.

At this point we don't really know what the motive was. We may know what words were spoken, but the motive is another thing entirely.

Do they live together?

The slaying happened around the corner from West's apartment in the city's Old Town historic district. It's a street lined with grand Victorian homes from the late 1800s. Most have been neatly restored by their owners. Others, with faded and flaking paint, have been divided into rental units such as the apartment West shared with her son. The slain boy's father, Luis Santiago, lives in a house across the street.

http://news.msn.com/us/ga-woman-says-shes-certain-suspect-shot-her-baby

I am so blessed never to have dealt with the loss of a child to either illness or violence. My heart goes out to Ms. West and Mr. Santiago.

I just hope Mr. S didn't mean what he said. And I hope he regrets and has apologized to Ms. West. They are both obviously hurting, and I guess ugly things can slip out when you are in emotional pain. I am hoping that they can come together and be there for one another emotionally. They both lost precious little Antonio. To lash out at the other doesn't help, and I fear that it will just make Ms. S fall further into despair. It's heart breaking enough, but then to have the father state such an ugly and hurtful thing to the public.

Let's stay on topic please.

This thread is about the murder of a 13 month old child, Antonio Santiago.

thanks,
fran

Perhaps it was an understatement and you can rephrase it better but my point is that most people who actually hatch a plan to target someone would give a thought or two to things that might help them not to get caught as soon as they blink. This seems like a random chaotic crime to me more than anything that came from advance premeditation and planning (I know that legally you can be said to have premeditated if you take a second or two between shots and should have realized it will kill but that's not the kind of premeditation I mean.)

I agree with you, Donjeta. If this was a planned attack, it was poorly planned by the perps indeed. Broad daylight, leaving at least one (possibly a neighbor too?) eyewitness, etc. Those two were caught really quickly.

Of course being so young, maybe they just are bad at planning...

Looking at DE facebook page yesterday I think it was inevitable that he would go on and do something like this unfortunately. Gang culture. He had no regard or respect for human life. This wasn't a true robbery gone awry - he could have wrestled Ms. West to the ground and gotten her purse EASILY without firing a shot if all he wanted was that purse and what was in it. He was set on killing someone. Maybe not on that particular day, but when Ms. West didn't give up her purse readily - he took it a step further.

I think along with mom picking him out of a line up, the police are certain they have the right people in custody.

Despite the conflicting stories, police have charged 17-year-old De'Marquise Elkins with murder, along with a 14-year-old suspect whose name has been withheld because he's a juvenile.

Brunswick police spokesman Todd Rhodes said even though Elkins' aunt provided an alibi, authorities have good reason to bring the charges.

"That's what she's saying, but the evidence we're looking at says something else," Rhodes said, though he would not elaborate.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/23/3302377/police-arrest-2-teens-in-ga-baby.html#storylink=cpy

bolding mine

I think along with mom picking him out of a line up, the police are certain they have the right people in custody.

bolding mine

Wonder if a security camera caught him on tape within the vicinity of the crime scene?

I agree with you, Donjeta. If this was a planned attack, it was poorly planned by the perps indeed. Broad daylight, leaving at least one (possibly a neighbor too?) eyewitness, etc. Those two were caught really quickly.

Of course being so young, maybe they just are bad at planning...

According to the mother, this suspect threatened to kill this infant, and then proceeded to do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member