GA GA - Atlanta, WhtMale 20-30, 178UMGA, hit by car on I-75, Virgo tattoo, Jul'95 - Steven Shelton

Sorry, I don't understand what this means, what exactly happened?
He had a paper on him with the name Steven Shelton and a date of birth (Sep 4 1973). Investigators found a living man with that name and DOB near Atlanta, so they assumed the UIDs name wasn't Steven Shelton and it was entered on his NamUs ruleout list. Sorry if that sounds confusing, I'm not the best at explaining things lol.
This victim, Steven, who was hit by a car -- where were and are his relatives? Did they believe him to be a missing person after 1995? Did they report him missing? Search for him? What was their response to being notified he was this victim?
He's listed as Unclaimed now, so either they haven't found his relatives or they refuse to claim him.

That's what I thought, I was wrong.
Another one on his own Namus rule-out list, and LE ruled him out years ago because they found a living person with the same first and last name, and same birth year. They just assumed it was the same person on the paper and dropped it.
Pi%%es me off seriously, and they're still not making an effort.
How about adding his full middle name to his Unclaimed page?

Anyhow, no research seems to have been done on his name here or elsewhere since the name was decided pretty early on as not being his.

Feeling :mad: atm about how this young man has been treated since his accident.
I feel your frustration. It almost seems like Steven was just tossed aside as “just another hippie loser” type by LE from the moment he died. The way some Does are treated by LE because of their presumed lifestyles or their COD makes me livid.
edit: typo

Are his family choosing not to claim him, or does he truly have no family left? Surely there's SOMEONE in his family tree. even a family member that is unfamiliar with him, like a great-aunt's cousin twice removed or something. He can't be on his own, right?

Any photos?

Bumping for Steven. I don't want him to be forgotten.

Are his family choosing not to claim him, or does he truly have no family left? Surely there's SOMEONE in his family tree. even a family member that is unfamiliar with him, like a great-aunt's cousin twice removed or something. He can't be on his own, right?

Any photos?

Bumping for Steven. I don't want him to be forgotten.
Maybe someone should do a family genealogy search to try to find family for him.

“In this case, we have a new tool that allows us to resize the fingerprints a little to be more accurate how it would have been the size before they perished,” Johnson explained.

Sadler told Channel 2 Action News that one of the oldest cases they have been able to solve dates back to 1970.

“It’s always a rewarding feeling when you can help identify a person,” Sadler said. “We work hard here with their family in mind. We are thankful for the new technology and work of the FBI in Quantico, VA.”

Now, despite a detailed sketch and distinguishing tattoos of a serpent, dragon, and the word “Virgo,” no one has come forward to claim Shelton.

Anyone with any information regarding Shelton’s family’s whereabouts is encouraged to contact the Fulton County Medical Examiner.

So I take this to mean his relatives have not been located. They truly may not know he has been found. They may even believe he could still be alive out there. JMO.

Anyone with any information regarding Shelton’s family’s whereabouts is encouraged to contact the Fulton County Medical Examiner.

So I take this to mean his relatives have not been located. They truly may not know he has been found. They may even believe he could still be alive out there (ETA: and may claim him, if they knew...) JMO

So I take this to mean his relatives have not been located. They truly may not know he has been found. They may even believe he could still be alive out there (ETA: and may claim him, if they knew...) JMO
If I'm understanding this correctly, Steven was identified by the FBI's new fingerprint technology, not FGG. Which is excellent, but it also explains why investigators are asking for information about his family. In my mind, I was like, why don't they just reach out to a cousin or aunt they found on his family tree, then I realized there probably wasn't one, they didn't go that route. So many cases have been solved by genetic genealogy lately, I forgot not all of them are.
If we could get his DOB and the location his fingerprints came from, like were they from an arrest or the military, we could work our magic. Does anyone know if this information has been released to the public?

I'm terribly behind on WS but I found this young man who was from a suburb on Atlanta. I don't have any missing info on him. I was just searching Ancestry yearbooks in Georgia. Thoughts?
steven shelton.png

steven shelton 2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where online we can access old telephone books? I was hoping to find an address that way.
Have you tried reaching out any of the local public libraries or historical societies where he may have been from? My hometown library had copies of old phone books from our area. There's also city directories, too. I think those two options would be your best bet.

Why didn't they mention what he has ties to? They took his prints somewhere, so at minimum, would be nice if they named the city & state. Did I miss a mention of that?
Yeah that is strange we don’t even know if they know where when or where he was born. I’m assuming since they have his fingerprints they should have this information.

I'm guessing they don't know anything about him because the fingerprints matched with a previous arrest record - where he used a fake ID. There's at least one more similar unclaimed in Atlanta, previously unidentified and only an initial instead of full middle name, "identified" using fingerprints.
JMO, my guess etc. Makes sense to me, him carrying someone else's details on a piece of paper and LE knowing literally nothing, not even his full middle name.

It's sad because had they decided to use one of the bigger genetic genealogy companies (DNA Doe Project, Othram etc) I'm pretty sure this guy would have been fully funded within a week and eventually ACTUALLY, 100% positively identified.

eta: he has NO listed contacts, whereas the other recent unclaimed persons in Atlanta have a medical examiner's office listed. Or is my laptop acting up? I swear there was one last time I looked.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 22.31.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 22.31.31.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm guessing they don't know anything about him because the fingerprints matched with a previous arrest record - where he used a fake ID. There's at least one more similar unclaimed in Atlanta, previously unidentified and only an initial instead of full middle name, "identified" using fingerprints.
JMO, my guess etc. Makes sense to me, him carrying someone else's details on a piece of paper and LE knowing literally nothing, not even his full middle name.

It's sad because had they decided to use one of the bigger genetic genealogy companies (DNA Doe Project, Othram etc) I'm pretty sure this guy would have been fully funded within a week and eventually ACTUALLY, 100% positively identified.

eta: he has NO listed contacts, whereas the other recent unclaimed persons in Atlanta have a medical examiner's office listed. Or is my laptop acting up? I swear there was one last time I looked.
Can someone be considered identified if nothing is known about the person expect their name which may be an alias from a fingerprint match. We don’t know if they have his DOB or where he was born.

Last edited:
Im just so connected with my family it is so hard for me to beleive nobody is missing this man. Is it possible he is a migrant & did use a fake I.d.? His family couldn't come fwd? I hadn't even considered that.
How did they give him a name if they cannot connect a mother to him. That means they don't have a birth certificate. UNLESS he was adopted & they found a birth mother but then how would they get far if they can't even name his adoptive mother.
Somebody with some moxi call LE or the ME please. Surely this isn't it- they have to keep pushing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back