GA GA - Atlanta, WhtMale 20-30, 178UMGA, hit by car on I-75, Virgo tattoo, Jul'95 - Steven Shelton

Hi everyone :)

I am back again!

<modsnip>

A few days ago, I emailed the ME involved in this case (who, I must say, is a lovely, lovely person), and this morning I heard back from an equally lovely investigator who had this to say (this was in response to questions I had asked including when he said his name was Stephen, did he have an accent, what was he wearing, personal items.. and so on).

"The man you are asking about spent approximately one year as a hospital inpatient after being struck by at least one auto as he tried to cross an interstate here in Atlanta, He never spoke, never provided a name, and his clothing has never been recovered because it was removed at the scene to treat him emergently and was never tracked through his hospital stay. We have no &#8220;high resolution&#8221; photos of his tattoos, and no other post-mortem photographs are available.

The &#8220;Stephen&#8221; referenced by the hospital was found alive and well, and is therefore ruled out as a possible identity for the decedent.

I agree there is significant information missing, although after thorough (and ongoing) investigation here it has become apparent that the information is lost permanently to us. His DNA is on file with the FBI CODIS lab, and we can be hopeful that there will eventually be a &#8220;match&#8221; to family looking for him."

This information is great, but it obviously changes to much of the focus that has been in the case for so many years. It would appear we can rule the name 'Stephen' out, and it looks like we may need to see if contact can be made with the attending paramedics on this date to see if they remember anything, anything at all, about our doe.

I will be mailing the LE very soon too to see if there is any information they can provide me about the accident, and I will post it over here :)

I promise to try and be a bit more active around here, a few things upset me recently, but you are all so important to me, and I really love it here :)

Grey.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have already subpoenaed and reviewed all records associated with his initial and subsequent care. There is no record of where his clothes went. Because he did not die immediately or shortly thereafter and there was no information involving witnesses, etc, forthcoming, law enforcement had an initial report, but no ongoing investigation.

As an aside, his fingerprints have also been run several times through several databases, and we continue to resubmit them as analysis and comparison technology improve.

Tami

Glad to see you here, Tami! :)

And thank you so much for clearing up those ideas! I thought they would be a bit of a reach, so I'm glad to know it is an area that has already been ruled out! :)

Looks like the next big step is another huge social media push, as with Grateful Doe. We are having the poster for FCJD edited, and I will post it up here for those who are interested in sharing it around!

Very excited to have so many wonderful people on board with this one too. :)

And thank you for the photos uploaded to NamUs too, Tami! :D

Didn't see this post earlier, am very glad to have a few more to reference too! :)

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone through close to 1,000 missing men from the US/Mexico this evening, boy, do my head, eyes and hands hurt!

I've got a few that I'd love to be looked at by you guys to get a second opinion.

However, this one stood out to me. My heart stopped when I saw his photo. Everything seems to match accordingly, and he has not yet been ruled out.

What do you guys think?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4358dmca.html

Will mail ME/Investigator too (just to ensure everyone is up to speed! :))

Grey.

This poor guy. What a horrible way to spend the last year of his life. Found his case thanks to Greymetal bringing awareness via /r/gratefuldoe :).

Re the 4th illegible tattoo, are there any photos of it at all in existence? I'm aware it might have become illegible due to the accident or any surgery.

The Virgo tattoo does look like a cover up to me and done unprofessionally, as do the two others, maybe by a friend or in prison? I'd say from it being on his shoulder unless he's a contortionist it's safe to assume he didn't do it himself! I wouldn't have thought the comet/planet or dragon would have been done in prison though due to the colours? Someone out there must remember doing those tattoos on him..

I've gone through close to 1,000 missing men from the US/Mexico this evening, boy, do my head, eyes and hands hurt!

I've got a few that I'd love to be looked at by you guys to get a second opinion.

However, this one stood out to me. My heart stopped when I saw his photo. Everything seems to match accordingly, and he has not yet been ruled out.

What do you guys think?

Grey.

The stats match. And he certainly has the look.

virgo tattoo looks like ciao to me, it looks like it's been altered to say something else.

What do you guys think?

Grey.

NamUs has DNA; turn it in

I'd be interested in seeing what that paper with the SS name is.

The FCME report says the incident location was I-75 and Moores Mill Rd. The NamUs profile says I-75 and 166.

Tami- do you know which is accurate?

Thanks

The FCME report says the incident location was I-75 and Moores Mill Rd. The NamUs profile says I-75 and 166.

Tami- do you know which is accurate?

Thanks

I came here to say that, too. I saw Moores Mill and thought to myself, "I know I've been gone a few years, but I'm almost positive that is nowhere near Lakewood Amphitheater."

Looking at googlemaps, it appears the two locations are almost 15 miles apart -- one is north of the city and one is east. I wonder which is correct?

I'm not quite literate when it comes to adding pictures, etc. to here but if someone can go on to ancestry.com and do a search on him you can find another picture of him. He's in a pink/purple jacket. Also, the mother is posting on there and is obviously heartbroken. So incredibly sad and I hope that greymetal helped send another child home.

Douglas' Pingelley's mother. Douglas's family is on ancestry.com and have posted two pictures of him and also wrote a couple of posts about missing him.

Douglas' Pingelley's mother. Douglas's family is on ancestry.com and have posted two pictures of him and also wrote a couple of posts about missing him.

That's this link for people like me who don't have a good memory for names: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4358dmca.html

For people posting possible matches, it really helps to include the name and maybe a summary in your post. Something that's clear in context can be hard to figure out several days and many posts lateRm Thanks :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back