GA GA - Chris Burns, 37, missing day before docs due to SEC, Gwinnett Co, 25 Sep 2020

ATLANTA — A federal court says the companies owned by a local investment advisor, who disappeared without a trace nearly two years ago, now have to pay $12 million to his clients.

Christopher Burns disappeared in September 2020 after bilking his clients out of millions of dollars.

According to the SEC’s suit, he sold fraudulent promissory notes for years to more than 90 investors in Georgia, North Carolina and Florida.

The judge also ruled that if Burns is ever found, he is liable for a civil penalty of more than $652,000. But federal authorities say it is unclear if investors will ever see the money.

Most of the missing money was spent to fund Burns’ lifestyle and to create the appearance that the investments he sold were profitable.

(..)

Very bizarre that CB has never been found. I guess it could’ve been a self harm situation, but I think that’s tough to accomplish in a way where your body will never be found. Especially while leaving your car in a busy office park parking lot near Perimeter Mall.

As far as I know, LE has never released any additional info about CB’s disappearance that might help the public help LE, like:

-was he seen on any cctv or traffic cameras in the area where his car was found? I’m sure there are dozens of them on commercial buildings in the office park area and along that road - it is highly developed: office buildings, hotels, etc

-was he seen on any Marta cameras going from the perimeter area down into Atlanta? How ‘bout from Atlanta down to the airport? Idk. I guess he could’ve been wearing a disguise

-was there possibly a conspirator or somebody who helped CB disappear? If alone, where could he possibly have gone from that office park parking lot?

-does he have his passport (is it missing from his house)? Has it been used (surely LE would tell us this..)?

-where is his phone? I’ve never heard of its whereabouts /status. Was it left in the car? Any evidence he might’ve had a burner?

-apparently he “withdrew” all but $75 from one of his accounts right before he disappeared. Is this the $320,0000 he’d supposedly obtained/raised from investors just between 9/15 and 9/23? Was $320,000 the total amount “withdrawn”? A “withdrawal” of that amount seems unlikely. What bank has $320,000 cash on hand? - or was it a cashier’s check?

-If the money was in the form of a check, was the check ever deposited or cashed?

-If it was not a “withdrawal” (cash or check) but was rather a “transfer”, was the transfer to another account controlled by CB? Was it to an account controlled by his wife? If it was to another account controlled by him, I think that might indicate he was intending to go on the lam. If it was to an account controlled by his wife, I think that might indicate self harm.

-if some of the documents he had his wife sign before he disappeared were in fact divorce documents (she claims she did not know the nature of the documents she was signing), does this fit more with a “going on the lam” scenario, or with a “self harm” scenario? (I would think the latter).

-in October of ‘22, a judge ordered companies owned by CB to pay a 12 million judgement. Were there any assets still in those companies? - or was the award basically uncollectible?

- are the recent charges (4/23) an indication that LE believes that CB is still alive somewhere? I can’t imagine them issuing indictments against a dead man? But if CB is still alive, it’s hard to believe he hasn’t been apprehended by now.. Idk, maybe the indictments are some necessary step to help facilitate asset recovery (if there are assets left to be recovered)?

Going on the lam is not an easy thing to do these days (imo). Cellphones, passports, identity documents, license plate readers, facial recognition. Just seems that if LE really wanted help from the public they would release more information. It’s now been 2 1/2 years

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back