GA - David Mack, 12, found fatally shot, Atlanta, Fulton County, 9 February 2021

Putting this out here to save it.
The family held a vigil and went door to door today.
Tuesday
3 p.m.
Glenda Mack says this is when she left home to run some errands.

3:40 p.m.
While she is out, she says David calls her to ask if he can go play football with some friends.

She tells him it's OK.
“He said, ‘love you’ and I said, ‘Love you, too,’ and those were the last words I said to him," she said.

3:45 p.m.
About five minutes later, Glenda Mack gets home and David was not there.

David never makes it to his friend's home. He FaceTimed his friend and said that he was going somewhere else in the neighborhood. The friend asked if he could join.
“He said all he saw was David’s face, but he heard somebody say, 'No, say no',” Glenda said.

8:43 p.m.
When David is not home and still not answering his phone, Glenda gets worried and called 911.

9 - 10 p.m.
His family and Atlanta officers search for David on Tuesday night until about 10 p.m. before filing an official missing person report.

On Wednesday, his family searches again and finds his body in a cut-through off Shirley Street, where many children in the area go to play. He had been shot, authorities say.

1:48 p.m.
Family calls Atlanta Police to notify officers they found his body.

He would have turned 13 last week.upload_2021-2-25_19-28-6.jpeg

Among those who helped knock on doors Thursday afternoon was Jason Hudgins, president of the Westview Community Organization. He said many in his neighborhood were distraught after learning of the boy’s death, especially since the community lost several children during the Atlanta Child Murders more than four decades ago.

“Any murder would be a problem, but to lose a child is something that’s unbearable,” Hudgins said after handing a flyer to an older man sitting outside his home. “It’s something that’s shaken the community to the core.”

Interim police Chief Rodney Bryant called David’s death “deeply disturbing” and promised Mack’s family he would do everything in his power to bring them closure.

“This is so troubling that we’re out here for a 12-year-old, but I assure the family, this community and this city that the Atlanta Police Department will continue to work very diligently until we get some resolve,” Bryant said. “We’re doing everything that we possibly can.”

Glenda Mack has been staying with her daughter and her husband since David’s death. Other than grabbing clothes and the occasional personal item, she said it’s just too tough to go back home.

She said she was appreciative of the support from the police department and the community, but wishes she knew what happened to her grandson that afternoon. Mack said she’s struggling to understand how anyone could have killed the fun-loving child she raised from birth, and wants whoever was responsible brought to justice.

“I know somebody knows something,” she said ahead of the canvass. “I just need some help.”

Atlanta police have not announced any suspects in the case. It’s also unclear why someone may have targeted David. Authorities recently increased the reward for information in the case to $10,000, hopeful that someone who knows what happened will come forward.

“I loved him, and there wasn’t a day that went by that he didn’t tell me he loved me, too,” Glenda Mack told the volunteers ahead of the search. “I miss that a lot.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Atlanta police. Tipsters can remain anonymous, and be eligible for rewards of up to $2,000, by contacting Crime Stoppers Atlanta at 404-577-8477, texting information to 274637 or visiting the Crime Stoppers website.
‘Somebody knows something’: Atlanta police canvass neighborhood where 12-year-old was killed

The saddest thing to me is his family went looking for him themselves and actually found him. Just can't fathom.

Hoping Atlanta does a better job with these children being shot or shooting eachother than they've done here. It's never ending.

Was gonna be 13!

July 29 2022
July 28 2022

Call me a "helicopter mom", but even in the summer, I would have expected a text at least by 6, telling me where he was, and if he was coming home for supper. By 7, I would have been checking the phone location, if he hadn't checked in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back