GUILTY GA - Eight family members brutally murdered in Brunswick home, 29 Aug 2009

I finally got to see this documentary and it honestly raised more questions for me than it answered. It really bothered me so I had my SO watch it and so I watched it a second time with him. What really got me was the fact that he allegedly killed EIGHT people all by himself, the majority of them males but there wasn't a single mark on him from anyone trying to fight him off. That just doesn't make sense to me. And we only saw snippets from the trial so I kept thinking well maybe they didn't show the really pertinent evidence on the show. There certainly were little indicators in the show he may have been involved (he told 911 they had been beaten to death whereas the first responding cop thought they had been shot) and the taking the "hot gun" out of the house - but based on what I saw presented on the show there wouldn't have been enough for me to convict him and I'd have been the lone holdout juror for not guilty. SO is former law enforcement and is consistently on the side of prosecutors but even he was surprised at the verdict. Looks like we're pretty split on Websleuths as to guilty or not guilty - but I'm definitely in the not guilty camp here. So many questions...

And because as a true Websleuther I just cannot let this case go, I did some searching and found this article...the updates are quite interesting.... such as "A bloody hand print was found on the wall of one of the bedrooms. Prosecution asserted that no one stirred while the attack took place and were murdered where they lie, Guy’s finger prints were run against this piece of evidence and he was ruled out, police didn't run any further tests.

The pipes were removed from the bathroom, no evidence of Guy washing up in the trailer and there was zero blood transfer in the car he was driving, Guy was forensically clean of any blood evidence apart from the small spots found on his shorts and underwear."

http://www.worldactivist.org/us/guy-heinze-jr-life-death-row/#.U_3-O2NauZQ

It certainly seems the police didn't do a thorough investigation...

I'm not sure how I missed the case on TV, maybe I saw something about it but just didn't remember. Anyway, first time I heard about it was from my brother. He said there was a guy who had come to the prison (my brother is locked up) and when they asked what he was in for, he said it was for killing 8 family members but that he didn't do it. He asked me to look into it and give him my opinion. After all I've read and watching the documentary, I don't believe he did it. Just my opinion.

My brother says in person he's a timid shy guy. Doesn't try starting anything or try acting like a bad *advertiser censored*. He maintains his innocence and still gets support and letters from his Grandmother and Brother.

Wow...thanks for this! I'm glad to hear that he still has the support from his brother and grandmother. I'm with you- I don't believe he did it either...

On Nov. 6, Heinze’s attorney filed an amended motion for a new trial. The original motion was filed Nov. 1.

In the motion, she presents 11 errors committed during Heinze’s trial in Glynn County Superior Court.

Among those alleged errors:

• “The jurors that were empaneled in the trial of this case failed to comply with the instructions that the Court charged. The jury shifted the burden of proof to Mr. Heinze to prove his innocence, required him to provide evidence of an alibi, and rendered a verdict despite not understanding the evidence.”

• An item “… was destroyed without Mr. Heinze having had an opportunity to view or test the item. The State also elicited testimony concerning blood spatter on this item that was not disclosed to the defendant prior to trial, to which the defense objected and moved for mistrial.”

• “Upon information and belief, former Glynn County Police Chief Matthew Doering conducted fingerprint comparisons on the evidence collected in this case. The discovery provided to the defense does not contain any documentation concerning these fingerprint comparisons.”

• “Additional evidence related to the murders at Lot 147 — nunchucks and an Estwing Hammer — was found after law enforcement concluded processing the crime scene …. This evidence was turned over to Glynn County Police but is now missing and was not available for Mr. Heinze to examine, inspect and/or test prior to trial.”

• “The State suppressed an Internal Affairs investigation into the prior conduct by Investigator Michael Owens in which he admitted to collecting evidence in a criminal case, and failing to properly collect and preserve that evidence.”

• Additionally, “… the State lost or destroyed the audio recording of an interview with Joseph Bryant ‘Big Joe’ Anderson. The contents of the interview ere exculpatory in that Mr. Anderson provides information concerning alternate suspects.”

• The presiding judge made errors in his jury instructions before deliberations, and the lead prosecutor in the case stepped outside the bounds of closing arguments by making “… improper comments on the role of defense counsel at trial, improper comments concerning the magistrate’s role in the issuance of arrest warrants, comments contradicted by the evidence during the course of the trial, and impermissibly vouching for the credibility of witnesses.”

http://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...cle_4b7afc4b-424c-507f-9f53-069d4f0c1a24.html

I don't know anything about this case, I just stumbled upon it while searching for something else, but there's a couple of updates.

Dec '18:
“This has never been done before, lawyers circumventing the case,” Allen said. He added that it only takes one juror for a mistrial, and that the negotiation and agreement between both sides during the original trial was different from standard negotiating practices during a case.

Allen said that the juror, once selected, had a right to render his verdict.

New Heinze trial hinges on juror dismissal

Jan '19:
As stated in the response, “First came a note from the juror regarding Juror 152. … During discussion between the parties and the court, it was placed on the record that Juror 152 had a relationship with Heinze, that Juror 152’s wife was sitting with Heinze’s family in the audience, that Juror 152 winked at said family, and that Juror 152 disregarded the court’s instructions by discussing this case with non-jurors three times. …

“As deliberations continued, the court expressed frustration with Juror 152 saying, ‘And believe you me, if I felt that if we could get rid of him, I’d get rid of him.’ … At that time the court referenced two notes sent by the jury which appear to address these issues. … Later in the deliberations, the court noted that there were problems occurring in the jury room. Specifically, the court explained that the jurors were tired and acting out. …

Prosecution’s response details juror removal in Heinze trial

Convicted mass murderer makes appeal in 2013 trial

The Supreme Court of Georgia will decide whether a decision by a judge in a 2013 mass murder trial was made in error.

The highest court in the state heard oral arguments on Tuesday. This came seven years after Guy Heinze, Jr. was convicted of beating eight people to death and severely injuring a 3-year-old boy.

Back then, Glynn County Police said they initially thought the victims had been shot to death due to the amount of blood and the severity of their injuries.

Heinze was convicted on all counts. He’s now arguing a trial judge wrongfully allowed the removal of a juror. He claims the judge did that before determining whether Heinze had knowingly agreed to waive his right to maintain the composition of an already selected jury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back