GUILTY GA - Gloria, 54, & Caleb Short, 17, Gianna Lindsey, 10, slain, Upatoi, 4 Jan 2016

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/local/article206437694.html

The sentencing of three youths charged in the heinous 2016 bludgeonings of a grandmother, her son and granddaughter in Columbus’ Upatoi area has been postponed until April 6.

Judge Gil McBride reset the court hearing previously scheduled for Friday because he’s presiding over a trial in Marion County this week, attorneys said.

‘You’ve taken everything from us!’ Upatoi murder victims’ family shows outrage at sentencing

Shameika Averett stood at the front of the courtroom, holding a color photo for Jervarceay Tapley to see.

It was a photo of Tapley, smiling, playing in the backyard pool of 3057 Bentley Drive, the home in which Tapley murdered Averett’s mother, daughter and brother on Jan. 4, 2016.

The photo was evidence of how close Tapley was to the family, which invited him on vacations and trips to ballgames and movies. He sometimes spent summers with the Shorts, swimming in their pool.

“I hope you see this picture,” Averett said, her voice rising in outrage. “Can you see it? CAN YOU? You destroyed everything! You’ve taken everything from us! ... Why? Why, why, why, why?”

Averett continued: “I have come to this conclusion: Monsters do exist. You are a monster, a monster with many faces.”

Family of Upatoi triple murder victims shares emotional reaction at sentencing

The now 18-year-old Rufus Burks was sentenced to two consecutive life sentences for kidnapping and burglary, 20 years with 15 years to serve for burglary, and two 10-year sentences for auto theft charges.

After pleading guilty to three counts of malice murder, Judge Gil McBride sentenced 19-year-old Javarceay Tapley to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Twenty-one-year-old Raheam Gibson who offered testimony for lesser time was given the state’s recommendation of 30 years in prison.

Yeah, that is weird. Even if the bodies were left in place during part of the investigation, as I think sometimes happens, you would think that basic time-of-death determining stuff like temps, etc. would have just been done on scene. Gosh, I hope that part didn't get screwed up. Maybe it IS misworded somehow...but, then, what IS he meaning to say?
The coroner was on the scene at 9 or 9:30 am. I read that in one of the many-linked articles and updates above. He made the original measurements. He may not know the minute they died but he can surely give a time frame

This is so sad and seems so strange. Thanks for all the posts, can't believe the national news hasn't carried this case. Two cars being stolen also, this just doesn't all fit. Maybe I missed it, how far away were the cars found?
The national media prefers to not follow black on white crime, IMHO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back