GA - Jonah, 3, & Nicole Payne, 2, Warrenton, 23 April 2005

I don't think they have the same biological parents, but I don't know that that's pertinent here.

This man is her "fiance", her children have her last name, not his, this isn't a stable family with the same mommy and daddy looking over the kids. If she cranked out two kids by the same man and he didn't give his name to the kids, or marry the mom . . . this isn't the best of situations either way.

I get the impression he's kind of new on the scene and he has nothing to do with these kids disappearing.

Prayers for them, it seems a little hopeless at this point. It seems the mother knows what happened to them.

said that they'd only lived there about a year...but I'm sure the father referred to them as his kids and he was begging and sounding upset. He admitted he was the fiance though.

Mr. Payne, who is engaged to and lives with Ms. Kain, said he was working in Thomson at a gas station when the children's mother called him to say that Nicole and Jonah were gone.

Standing outside the home where he and the children have lived for less than a year, Mr. Payne expressed the belief that someone had abducted his son and daughter.

"When they leave, they leave the gate open," he said. Authorities found the gate closed but unlatched.

Mr. Payne and Ms. Kain lived in Arizona before moving to Gibson, Ga., which is where Brenda Johnson met them four years ago.

On Sunday, Ms. Johnson and family friend Laura Pennington said that they couldn't fathom Jonah and Nicole just leaving - particularly together.

"I never saw them play together - they were so sick of the other one. If they're together, someone snatched them," Ms. Pennington said. "And I don't know them to just take off and go up the road. They knew their limits."

Besides Ms. Kain, the last people to see the children were neighbors who saw them playing outside at about 4 p.m.

Agent Nicholson said Ms. Kain told police that she and the children came inside shortly after 4 p.m. and were in the house until she noticed the children were gone. Witnesses said there was no vehicle traffic on Lake Road at the time of the children's disappearance, according to Chief McClain.

My HEART go out to this Father...Sad picture

Dennis Payne looks at photos of his missing children, Nicole, 2, and Jonah, 3, from the porch of their home in Warrenton.

Full Story http://augustachronicle.com/stories/042505/met_3984125.shtml

What is this "when they leave, they leave the gate open" business? Evidently, they have left before. And I can't believe they wouldn't be playing together at that age. This is the screwiest story I have ever heard!

Sheromom said:
What is this "when they leave, they leave the gate open" business? Evidently, they have left before. And I can't believe they wouldn't be playing together at that age. This is the screwiest story I have ever heard!
I agree!! Screwy story!!
Why did they move from Arizona to Georgia?
I'm just curious....

Jovin said:
that they were in the livingroom.......the mother went into another part of the house, came back and the front door was open and they were gone.

This from Fox News...Georgia Bureau of Investigation person being interviewed...the reason the hair is missing is because the little girl had played with some hair removal product...???? before we heard it was because of a burn, NO?

Maybe the hair removal product burned the little girl's head. Two year olds are into everything.

In the one article it said that the investigation was stopped while the mom was questioned...why stop it while they talk to the mom???? That doesn't make any sense. No Amber alert because the mom doesn't have any idea who took them. Same thing with the other young girl recently....she ended up dead for God's sake. All they have to do is get the pictures of the kids out there. If kids disappear or are taken how often does someone see who took them. That law needs to be changed.

I hope and pray these two little ones are found healthy and whole.

Sassygerl said:
I heard that interview...the kids were in the living room, she was in another part of the house and came back to the living area and the kids were gone and front door open.......I just wonder was she napping???? Was she just putting laundry away? Wish they'd mention times.....it makes a huge difference IMO!

As a mother who raised four kids who were in stair steps there were numerous times that I was in a different room than my kids. I never worried about them taking off when my back was turned...probably didn't even give it a thought. How many mothers have their kids right by their sides all day long until the kids are tucked in bed??? Probably not any of us.

Kids are in the living room watching cartoons while mom is in the kitchen fixing a meal, cleaning, or doing dishes. In the bedroom making the bed or cleaning the bathroom. I don't know of any mother who stays in the same room as her kids every minute of the day. We watch them outside but our homes are supposed to be safe....and they usually are.

I don't see anything that points to the mother as of right now. So she was in another room than the kids. Sounds pretty normal to me. It's not her fault if the kids snuck outside.

Sounds to me like the two little kids belong to this particular man and woman. The news report said that a lady met them when they lived in Arizona FOUR years ago. The little boy is 3 yrs so he must belong to the dad. Little girl is 2 so the couple were together when both kids were born.

Just because these parents live together and the children don't carry his last name even though they must be his doesn't mean they don't have a stable home. What does the parents not being married have to do with their home being stable? There are a lot of married parents who have unstable homes.
In this day and age there are a lot of couples who don't bother to get married and whose kids don't carry the dad's last name. We may not agree with the lifestyle but it doesn't make the parents bad parents or their homes unstable. It is just the way of the world these days with couples of all ages.

I wonder how in depth the talking with the neighbors went? The article states that the neighbors saw the children until they went in at 4PM.

Jovin said:
the mother....the father was at work, but I would really like to know where she was....how far away from them she was...was she on the phone perhaps and preoccupied for longer than she realized without checking on them?

Were they on a swing set, were they playing with any other children? Was there anyone else in the area that she's aware of? Lord..I hope this isn't a situation involving her. Forgive me for even voicing that thought, but it does occur at a time like this.
I'm just beginning to read this thread because I just heard about this on the news this morning ... I was out all day yesterday. Please forgive me if this has already been provided but here's what I've read:

FOXNews.com - U.S. & World - Cops Question Missing Ga. Toddlers' Mom

Authorities temporarily halted the search for a 2-year-old girl and her 3-year-old-brother while state investigators questioned their mother, Lottie Kain.

The kids' dad, Dennis Payne, told FOX News that he didn't believe his fiancée did anything to hurt the children.

Payne said Kain was in the bathroom when she heard something, and when she went out the kids, Jonah and Nicole Kain, were gone and the door was open...

KatherineQ said:
Two babies, out in the cold - they'd call in all eyes and ears to come help look if there was anything to look for.
I totally agree, Katherine. Every single person in that area would probably be willing to help if it was simply a manpower issue, and I'm sure they could call in some volunteer search groups if need be. There are definitely numbers they can call to get people together & searching.

I am reserving my judgement about suspects for now but I definitely don't think that they would call off that search for any reason other than knowing that they aren't going to find them. They are 2 and 3 years old, missing on a 30-something degree night ... no way they're going to give up on finding them without a good reason.

KatherineQ said:
This man is her "fiance", her children have her last name, not his, this isn't a stable family with the same mommy and daddy looking over the kids. If she cranked out two kids by the same man and he didn't give his name to the kids, or marry the mom . . . this isn't the best of situations either way.
I kept my maiden name, and all of my children have my last name. My husband is the father of all of them. We live in a fairly affluent suburb, (we're the poor ones on the block!), and are both college-graduated. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't really make any judgements based on the last name that the children have.

KatherineQ said:
I get the impression he's kind of new on the scene and he has nothing to do with these kids disappearing.
I'm really confused. I thought that an earlier article mentioned that Mr. Payne had delivered his daughter at home. Another article has a former neighbor saying that she met the couple four years ago. Am I missing something because from what I've read, it sounds like this is the biological father of these children? :waitasec:

There are parents and there are parents. I had 8 babies in 11 years!! I wore the carpet out walking through the rooms checking on what everyone was doing. Because I loved them to death, and cared about them every moment I was awake. I had two in diapers for ten years!!!! Not the same two!

We lived in a remote rural area as well.

I will give this mom a pass however, on the bathroom situation. Even the queen of England goes to the bathroom.

IF the search is still discontinued, that does not bode well for the babies, imop.

Christian love is something rather apart from just 'love' and can often see people through in difficult situations, rather than just perhaps 'losing' it with two innocent children.

IF IF there is a real culprit here, I hope they find them before it is too late. I personally don't think this is the case, but stranger things happen, taking two tots would not be something a rational person would do, too much work!!!!!

KatherineQ said:
I don't think they have the same biological parents, but I don't know that that's pertinent here.

I did not give my first child her fathers last name even though he was the biological father....and he was a very good father even though she didn't have his last name. And we weren't married either....but both my kids turned out pretty darn good (we did marry later, only to have it end in divorce) I don't think we can be judgemental over peoples situations just because they are different from ours.

Anyway, I hope and pray that the children are OK

browneyes said:
I certainly don't blame the grandparents for Couey abducting Jessica, but why in the world don't people check their doors before going to bed? Mr. B and I always check our doors before going to bed.....and we were even more diligent when our children were young and lived at home. It just takes a few extra seconds to be safe.
Because things happen...we sometimes forget when we are tired or sick or just distracted...life takes over. And in the Lunsford case I wonder if it is similar to my daughters BF's household. He lives in a similar setup and NEVER uses his front door. The door stays locked at all times, he feels no need to check it everynight because they never use it. I've often wondered if this was the case in the Lunsford household...that the door that was unlocked was a seldom used door. I do recall Mark saying when he found it open something to the effect that "this door isn't unlocked"...making me wonder if Couey didn't break in at some point and unlock the door in anticipation of his crime. We may never know.

At any rate, I don't think we can blame the mom for taking a bathroom break...and remember that a lot of people who live in rural areas like this just don't feel the need to be as cautious as those of us who live in more populated areas. Doesn't mean the shouldn't, just means they have a different way of life.

"I never saw them play together - they were so sick of the other one. If they're together, someone snatched them," Ms. Pennington said.

http://augustachronicle.com/stories/042505/met_3984125.shtml

Didn't this seem odd to you? I know my grandson and granddaughter fight alot but would not be considered "sick of the other one."

This makes me wonder if this mother has had a real problem handling these two and just got totally fed up with their arguing and fighting.....I hope I'm wrong...but maybe she snapped and did something horrible.

Also, the gate thing I didn't understand either....when the father stated that.

"When they leave, they leave the gate open," he said. Authorities found the gate closed but unlatched.

Also...

Special Agent Gary Nicholson of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, who is leading the effort, said he is keeping all possibilities open but that he is not convinced the children were kidnapped.

And....

Agent Nicholson said Ms. Kain and Dennis Payne, Jonah and Nicole's father, have been questioned separately. Neither has been officially named a suspect, but the agent said he has not ruled them out either.

At this point, Im going to withhold judgement. These are the same type of statements LE made during Jessie Lunsfords dissapearance, which led much of the public to suspect the family members. Sometimes we read far too much into what is released to the media.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back