GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they were lying. The medical examiner corroborated the stabbing and blunt force trauma to the head in his autopsy report (as well as sexual assualt iirc). Head wounds bleed a lot as do arteries when they are cut, and you can have either or both those kind of wounds without being disfigured. I don't rememeber any of the LE saying she was horribly disfigured. I think we interpeted the GBI director's refusal to describe in detail what he saw as her being horribly disfigured.

I don't think anyone at the mortuary saw her torso, her genital area, or the back of the poor child's head. :twocents: :seeya:

ETA: In many cases, and not to be crude, morticians can do amazing things with putty, glue, theatrical makeup, and wigs.

My sister died in a horrific car accident. The cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head. A good friend of mine was the first responder who got to the scene. She was in very, very bad shape. Especially her face. We had a closed casket, but afterwards, it was open for family and close friends if they wanted to see her one last time. I was shocked at how well they were able to restore her. She looked completely normal except you could tell she was wearing makeup. That stood out to me only because she never wore any. She looked really, really good.

It is amazing what a GOOD funeral home can do.

I think some of the theories I've read are giving RB too much credit for being criminally astute. I think that LE's comment about there being planning and premeditation conjure up an image of an evil mastermind.

No doubt there's evil at play here, but I am of the OPINION that RB is of below avg intelligence and possibly mentally challenged. He easily could have had a partner in this, even someone who played a larger role in the detail-planning but it makes him (RB) no less culpable.

And as to premeditation; duct tape and plastic bags do not a genius make. And I think that's all LE is alluding to when they say that. Nothing more complex.

I don't think anyone here thinks RB is of above average intellegence or a criminal mastermind. But most of us tend to feel that people don't just wake up one morning, go about there day and boom, suddenly get an overwhelming urge to kidnap and brutally murder a child. I think the calculated comment refers to the fact that there is evidence that RB has been planning this or something like this for a while. Not specifically Jorelys, but someone.

He saw his victim when she came home from school and hit the playground. He recognized her as a kid who seems to have the freedom to roam the complex without supervision. He sets about gathering what he needs, the zip ties, the duct tape, maybe plastic tarp, all readily accessible (MOO) in the maintenance shed/area. He puts them in the apartment.

He returns to the playground and watches a while, getting his nerve up. Once she moves away from teh playground to go fetch drinks, he takes his chance. He cons her into coming to see the new puppy he just got (he has noticed her love of the neighborhood pets).

And so forth. I think that is what they mean by calculated.

My own theory on what may have happened. This theory is fluid and may be something completely different tomorrow ;)

Bluesky, The judge can deny bond or make it so high no one could afford it. There is no proof that RB isn't a flight risk. Frankly, he'd be safer behind bars than for the public to know he was out.

You might remember the fiasco of when Casey Anthony was let out on bail. There was a live cam 24/7 almost and sooo many protesters. Many verbal almost physical fights on the A's front lawn too.

I doubt he'll let RB out on bail. jmo

I don't think he'll let RB out on bail either but we'll find out at his arraignment which is coming up shortly.

I followed Conrad Murray's trial and he was able to post bond and remain free until his trial began apparently because he was charged with IV Manslaughter not Murder and I was surprised none of MJ's fans harassed him the way they did Casey Anthony. For the most part it seems Conrad Murray was free to come and go as he pleased without any problem. One reporter interviewed Conrad as he was leaving a restaurant one evening with his live-in girlfriend Nicole Alveraz while the trial was on and I didn't see any protesters around.

Kat, will we get access to the probable cause statement at the next hearing? I really wish I could get my eyes on that thing.

I don't think so. But, I'm with you! I want to read it so bad!

I agree. I was reading SP's FB page yesterday (the brother) and it seems like he's moved on already -- talking about his new girlfriend and how he can't wait to take her out this weekend, and how much fun he had the other day with her.

If it wasn't so tragic, I could almost giggle at the <snark> compassion he seems to have for his brother (compared to a few days ago).

I know I shouldn't read to much into it -- him not posting about RB instead of the wonderful time he's having with his new love ...but I will :)

Somehow, I get the impression that SP won't be visiting him in jail anytime soon!

MOO

Mel

Hes probably been told to stop talking about his brother that it could hurt his case.

I wonder if he was supposed to be taking medication of some sort-maybe his mom made sure he took it, then when he moved he stopped taking it? My daughter is 19 and I still have to make sure she takes her meds.

Regarding RB's attorney David Cannon, Sr. A friend of my mom's who is also an attorney in Cherokee Co said once about David Cannon, Sr. "If I were on trial for murder, I would want David Cannon, Sr. representing me! He is that good!" I just remembered this today. IMO RB is lucky to have gotten him but not sure it will matter in this case except to maybe save him from the DP.

Yes he is the best in our county. I'm a paralegal and if I ever had to have an attorney he would be my choice.

I wonder if he was supposed to be taking medication of some sort-maybe his mom made sure he took it, then when he moved he stopped taking it? My daughter is 19 and I still have to make sure she takes her meds.

What meds, I wonder, would keep him from raping and torturing a 7 year old baby who trusted him? Someone needing those type of meds should be on an ankle bracelet, at the very least.

What meds, I wonder, would keep him from raping and torturing a 7 year old baby who trusted him? Someone needing those type of meds should be on an ankle bracelet, at the very least.

I personally do not believe in ankle monitoring pedo's. They cannot be cured. MOO

And say what? The guy works there and has every reason to be hanging around.
QUOTE]
Well for example, one of the tenets of neighborhood watches, is to report suspicious activity to LE. And I assume LE would best know how to ascertain what is worth further investigation and how to approach handling a reported situation. Many LE websites also encourage citizens to make reports.
True, the guy worked there, but IMO that wouldn't necessarily excuse that particular behavior.

BBM - My OPINION I will bet that when the guard was putting the bullet proof vest on RB asks "Am I gonna get shot?" and the guard says "Probably...." hence the nervous looks behind him... LOL:floorlaugh:

Maybe that's why RB hung his head during his hearing - he was afraid someone would shoot him in the back of the head!

http://translate.google.com/transla...elys+rivera&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=731&prmd=imvns

This was from a few days ago from the univision website. (dated 7 DEC 2011)

It's a google translation but I found this interesting as I had not seen it reported earlier by amercian news (but I may have missed it).

When I try to copy and paste some words revert back to the original Spanish.

It says that GBI Keenan said they had interviewed RB but had no evidence to arrest him.

Following tips recieved from the public they started monitering him. They monitered him on Tuesday night and were then able to have enough evidence to arrest him.

Just sharing it might have already been published back thread. I just might have missed it.

Does it say when they interviewed him?
I bet someone turned him in early and they had their eyes on him until they could find the evidence to arrest him.

And I am the birth mom to an amazing young man raised by wonderful parents, and the mother to a beautiful daughter who I both birthed and am raising.

Had adoption not been an option for me at 16, it well could have been a very different and likely not so good outcome for all of us involved. I hate to read all the negative comments about foster/ adoptive families. I regard it as a beautiful gift.

I know it's OT-I just wanted to share/connect. :)

You know it's kind of like the apartment reviews, you only hear about the bad stuff. Thank you for sharing something good about foster/ adoptive families. I know there is more good than bad.:candle:

I personally do not believe in ankle monitoring pedo's. They cannot be cured. MOO

Of course they can't but there's not a judge in the US who is going to keep a pedophile behind bars forever. My cure is not fit for human consumption...

I understand Annette, just differences in culture. That's one of the reasons I said we will probably get a lot more info from spanish news--if news is to be had---differences in cultures.

Actually there is a video of her laying in her coffin at the link above as well

Bless her heart.

Her father created a carriage to carry her on with balloons and 2 horses. You can tell he loves her very much. JMHO

I don't know his history, none of us do. I realize that people with severe mental illness are actually more likely to be the victim of a violent crime, rather than commit a violent crime. However, psychotic patients who have stopped taking their medication have, on occasion, committed acts of violence, especially if they are drinking or abusing drugs. I was just wondering if it was possible.

I know here in the US, to show a photo of a deceased person in their casket would be in bad taste and disrespectful, but I have been doing some reading. I know very little about Puerto Rico and its customs. But in some of the reading I have been doing in order to try to better acquaint myself with the Latin culture I found the following.

One custom that does differ in the Latin American culture, as compared to other cultures, is the use of photography of the deceased during parts of the funeral rite. A family member explained that the pictures were used as a marker to preserve the death as an important historical event in the heritage of the family and also as an acknowledgment of the &#8220;Rite of Passage&#8221; for the deceased.

http://www.funeralwise.com/customs/cross-cultural-funerals

In the olden days photographing the dead, sometimes in odd, lifelike poses was not uncommon even here in the states.

I am chalking it up to cultural differences.

Peñuelas is a fairly small community (my MIL's family is from Ponce).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kolse