GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
rsbm. Rightly or wrongly, there's a lack of trust in APD for some (many) locals. Coming forward can seem risky when you don't believe you'll be treated justly.

It also doesn't help when anonymous posters on local social media claim to be attorneys and say things like, "There's literally no personal benefit for a witness to speak to the police, and significant potential for downside."
<modsnip>

In answer to other poster's question. She was definitely stabbed:
"Incident summary:
On Wednesday July 28, 2021, at around 1:10am officers responded to Piedmont Park, 1073 Piedmont Ave, on a report of a person stabbed. On scene officers found a deceased adult female with multiple stab wounds. Atlanta Police Homicide Unit detectives responded and are investigating the incident. "

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a guy resembling “cane guy” walking literally right past the Willys by Piedmont/12th last week. He had a cane.

Could be a total coincidence but I assumed it was the same guy and he may be homeless and lived in area. I assumed police made contact and interviewed many of the “regulars” who live in the park.
I don't think the man w/cane is homeless because he has a phone & his clothes don't look dirty. I think he may live near the park & maybe recovering from a leg injury or surgery. Walking late at night because of the heat.

Is there continuous video of the jogger entering the park and exiting the park? I think natural instincts are that when someone comes across something shocking is to immediately run back in the same direction as you came from which is why I think he either saw nothing or this case is going to take a shocking turn.

@Quest701 People are v frightened and rightly so. I definitely get what you're saying and I also wouldn't go so far as to say it's "false pretenses." The details that are circulating of this case (if determined to be true) are horrific. The mayors usage of the term MONSTER was *not* hyperbolic.

I date a homicide detective and they never release everything they have. I’m sure most of you know that though but I see a lot of people hung up on why there is only one picture of Katie being presented to the public. I would guarantee you that they have more than just that. They are probably not releasing her exact movements for a reason.
The picture of Katie & Bowie in the rainbow crosswalk at 12:09 am is what I call a 'best view pic'. It was originally released by Crimestoppers on a flyer. It shows a central, as well as, a well known location & I believe taken at a halfway point.

Here's an interesting case (not because I think he was nesc. involved but because of the type of random transients that can be found in many major cities).
A fairly recent stabbing in Piedmont Park:
News List | Atlanta Police Department
The suspects name in the case is "Andre Ruddock". The name Ruddock, Okang Andre and same approx DOB can be found in multiple arrests in different states.
A vast majority of the homeless/transients are harmless and many are good people that have fallen on hard times. However, there is a subsegment with unaddressed mental health conditions that may increase their propensity towards violence, so it it best to be overly cautious at night when in an area where you may encounter them.

Last edited:
When the first pic of Katie was released, I assumed it came from a business because no other photos were released at that time. Was the source of that photo the same that later provided the other potential witness photos?

im surprised the reward $$ hasn’t been increased. I’m happy to see so many people cared enough to contribute to the , but I think big money could help. I believe the reward is still at $20k, $10k from PETA and the other 10k from Crimestoppers, I believe? More $ might compel some people to come forward with tips if it led to a possible reward.

also I remember reading somewhere that Emma left Atlanta. I hope she will find some peace.

Not saying you are incorrect, but can you please provide a link or the source if you wind up recalling? My understanding is that to date the FBI has not confirmed its role to the public. (Nor has APD).

I'm still looking. Unfortunately, when I try to search "FBI" on my browser history, every time I've visited Facebook comes up, so I have a lot to wade through. :-\

Are all the road entrances into the park gated and locked so vehicles cannot drive through (except service vehicles)?
Yes they are. The park is wide open to anyone who is not in a car. The park runs from The Atlanta Botanical Gardens on Piedmont Rd. south to 10th St. Then East to the end of 10th at Monroe Dr. Then North up Monroe Dr. to the west, Park Ave. Up until the '90's you could drive into the park on Park Ave where there was a parking lot. I tried to drive further into the park one time & was 'pulled over' by a cop on a horse...got into alot of trouble for that stunt. Park Ave is a residential St with nice old homes & alot of trees & shadows.
The west side of the park is bordered by a country club & the Botanical gardens.

Are all the road entrances into the park gated and locked so vehicles cannot drive through (except service vehicles)?
Yes they are. The park is wide open to anyone who is not in a car. The park runs from The Atlanta Botanical Gardens on Piedmont Rd. south to 10th St. Then East to the end of 10th at Monroe Dr. Then North up Monroe Dr. to the west, Park Ave. Up until the '90's you could drive into the park on Park Ave where there was a parking lot. I tried to drive further into the park one time & was 'pulled over' by a cop on a horse...got into alot of trouble for that stunt. Park Ave is a residential St with nice old homes & alot of trees & shadows.
The rest if the west side of the is bordered by a country club & the Botanical gardens.

Ok, with all due respect, the police cautioning people to hang out in groups of 3 or 4 seems to fulfill whatever moral duty they have to “inform the community”. I’m so sick of the bad faith complaining from people suggesting that the police are doing a terrible job of “informing the public”. There’s nothing wrong with feeling impatient because you are curious about what is admittedly an unusual case, but it’s incredibly irrational to suggest that the police are doing a public disservice by not disclosing nitty gritty details of the investigation. If you had any respect for due process and the victim’s right to justice, then you wouldn’t vainly subvert your need to know every last detail about the murder under the guise of “public safety”. It’s ok to be curious. But enough with the false pretenses.
Yes, it can be a fine line walked between informing the public, interfering with an active investigation and inciting a psychopath.
This is in reference to serial murder but could possibly be relavent to other types of offenders, something to think about.
I suspect the press may have been briefed by LE on the safest way to cover this story.
BBM
Serial Murder | Federal Bureau of Investigation
When individuals appear in the media and discuss ongoing cases, they have an enormous potential to negatively influence investigations and may even cause irreversible damage. They often speculate on the motive for the murders and the possible characteristics of the offender. Such statements can misinform the public and may heighten fears in a community. They may contribute to mistrust and a lack of confidence in law enforcement and, more importantly, may taint potential jury pools. These statements may also impact the behavior of the serial murderer, because it is unlikely that an offender discriminates between a talking head and a law enforcement official actively involved in the case. When offenders are challenged by statements or derogatory comments made in the media, they may destroy evidence, or more tragically, react violently.

Last edited:
When the first pic of Katie was released, I assumed it came from a business because no other photos were released at that time. Was the source of that photo the same that later provided the other potential witness photos?

im surprised the reward $$ hasn’t been increased. I’m happy to see so many people cared enough to contribute to the ********, but I think big money could help. I believe the reward is still at $20k, $10k from PETA and the other 10k from Crimestoppers, I believe? More $ might compel some people to come forward with tips if it led to a possible reward.

also I remember reading somewhere that Emma left Atlanta. I hope she will find some peace.
The picture of Katie & Bowie was taken from a camera on top of the building where The Flying Biscuit restaurant is located on the NE corner of 10th & Piedmont.
All of the videos & pictures that have been released are from City of Atlanta cameras/Dept of Public Safety. The 9 cameras that are located inside the boundaries of Piedmont Park are controlled by the Dept of Parks & Recreation. I'm not sure if P&R is city county or state. But the 9 cameras have been reported by LE as outdated & not intergated w/C of Atl. MSM has reported the 9 cameras where not working at the time of the murders.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

They clearly said that she was stabbed, mutilated, and disfigured. Obviously, they can't give out the whole autopsy to the public. They said that the crime was unusual and unlike anything they've seen in a long time and that's why the FBI was called in. The rest is pretty clear if you want to develop a profile of your own of what type of crime it was.

Here’s an article where an FBI spokesperson confirms their involvement. There are a few others, but this one actually names someone.

FBI joins investigation into killing of Katherine Janness, her dog in Atlanta park

interestingly enough, this article makes it a point to mention that police didn’t say how the dog was killed. I’m not sure if that’s been formally addressed by LE since or the media is assuming stabbing death because of Katie.

Last edited:
So if cause of death was sharp force injuries to face, neck, and torso, does that mean a single one of those injuries didn't alone kill her (like a slash to the neck)? But instead death was likely caused by of the resulting blood loss from the injuries combined, or something? I'm not very familiar with medical examiner report procedure. Post-mortem injuries would not be included in the cause of death, right?

Thanks for highlighting the Map of Piedmont Park. Gives folks context who may not be familiar with area.

As someone who walked it hundreds of times I just can’t put myself in the mindset that she would walk through the park at 11th/12th/Willys entrance then take the wider path parallel to Lake Clara or head up directly up the path that heads towards 10th.

I’m still stuck on the idea that it was the PP sidewalk path parallel to 10th.

I’m assuming they have other video clips from the school, or houses, that may have seen her walking. Just so confusing. As to the route she took. I’m really hoping the police at least know that via her phone or other video they’re not releasing.
I truly appreciate your input on here. Very helpful!

What about the Meadow Path that runs behind the Park Tavern and also meets up in the same area where she was found? Does that have lights and is somewhere people might walk at night?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member