GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That jogger has really perplexed me from the 1st time I saw him. If he didn't see anything at 12:46, meaning the crime had not taken place, that means Emma had 24 minutes to get home from work & find Katie & Bowie not home, unable to contact her by phone, activate the find my phone app, get in her car, drive, park, find Bowie, find Katie, run out of the park & call 911. Is that possible?
It is a very narrow time slot, indeed, and whether or not it's possible, IDK, especially because we don't know what time Emma started calling Katie. That information is pivotal, but only LE holds it for now.

But, considering the distance from their home to the crime scene is only something like 1 mile, with 1am traffic, I do think it's possible.

So one issue no one is talking about because it seems to be assumed it's some random attack by a homeless person - but what if one or the other of these women had an ex that was vindictive. Either a "you took my girl" or "if I can't have you, no one can".
I don't think that scenario can be ruled out, especially with what goes beyond a basic stabbing.

So one issue no one is talking about because it seems to be assumed it's some random attack by a homeless person - but what if one or the other of these women had an ex that was vindictive. Either a "you took my girl" or "if I can't have you, no one can".
I don't think that scenario can be ruled out, especially with what goes beyond a basic stabbing.
There's always that possibility, but iirc, Emma and Katie had been together for 7 or 8 years. Maybe long enough for something like that to be less plausible? I do, however, consider that somebody could have followed Katie that night, from elsewhere on her walk, and struck when the conditions were opportune.

Last edited:
Are there apartment buildings or other dwellings where someone, perhaps with binoculars, might have a view of the spot where KJ or Bowie was found?

If the perp's purpose was to shock and horrify, guessing that the perp would want to watch the discovery of the bodies and enjoy ''the fireworks'' - the horror, followed by LE, ambulances, reporters, tv cameras, vigils etc.
imo, speculation.

This killer committed the crime, apparently, just out of camera view, just out of light, and just between people walking past right before and after.
This makes me wonder if the perp knew what the camera there would catch. I think someone has mentioned this earlier, but could this mean that the perp is LE?

Katie's body (and Bowie's), if not found in the dark, would have easily been found by daybreak. I think they would have been visible even from 10th St, heading west. (I can't find any street views during summer, with leaves on the trees.)

Attachments

• 20210814_075325.jpg
    20210814_075325.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20210814-075205_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210814-075205_Maps.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 63
Are there apartment buildings or other dwellings where someone, perhaps with binoculars, might have a view of the spot where KJ or Bowie was found?

If the perp's purpose was to shock and horrify, guessing that the perp would want to watch the discovery of the bodies and enjoy ''the fireworks'' - the horror, followed by LE, ambulances, reporters, tv cameras, vigils etc.
imo, speculation.
Yes, I'm not all onboard with the deranged homeless person theory which would make it much harder to pull off and avoid LE radar.
Many psychopaths are successful and appear normal enough to fit into society.

This makes me wonder if the perp knew what the camera there would catch. I think someone has mentioned this earlier, but could this mean that the perp is LE?
I think it was just luck. The killer went into the shadows. But, the fact that the camera didn't capture (as far as we know) Katie, Bowie, or the killer crossing Charles Allen Dr. just inside the gate where it's visible, very near the body locations, seems significant to me. At least in regards to which direction the attack came, maybe?

I found this on the FBI's website and thought it was interesting. These are the statistics given how Katie was found which they consider "as is"

** edit here is the full document from the FBI's website for those of you interested. I know this one happens to say serial which we aren't sure of yet. But it also says they use this to investigate any violent crime... which this most certainly was.

How the BAU (which is who is here in Atlanta working on this case) investigates violent crimes.

Serial Murder: Pathways for Investigations — FBI

Attachments

• IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I found this on the FBI's website and thought it was interesting. These are the statistics given how Katie was found which they consider "as is"

** edit here is the full document from the FBI's website for those of you interested. I know this one happens to say serial which we aren't sure of yet. But it also says they use this to investigate any violent crime... which this most certainly was.

How the BAU (which is who is here in Atlanta working on this case) investigates violent crimes.

I noticed this is specific to perps who do not move the body. Has it been confirmed that the actual murder took place where the bodies were found? I’m increasingly wondering if it’s possible they were killed elsewhere (inside the park) and then left at the CA entrance. I have absolutely no idea how that could be accomplished, but somehow it seems a little more plausible than everything taking place right there, so close to 10th, out in the open. Just a thought

In the beginning of this case I thought someone must have lured Katie away from her path. Could it have been, "can you help me find my dog?" Did the killer have a dog w/him that was let loose then after the murders the killer walked away looking like someone walking their dog? Did he tangle the dog's leash in a tree limb or tie the dog to a tree? This article was very interesting. Thanks.

Last edited:
In the beginning of this case I thought someone must have lured Katie away from her path. Could it have been, "can you help me find my dog?" Did the killer have a dog w/him that was let loose then after the murders the killer walked away looking like someone walking their dog?

I think that too! Either conned her by saying he was hurt, or can you help me find my dog etc. That or just a blitz attack out of no where

imo, speculation.
I would need to go stand in the spot and think about it for a minute but because of the trees I think it might be hard to see even with binoculars from buildings outside the park. From the roof of a building inside the park.. I don’t think that would work either because I can’t think of a building with a clear line of sight.

My oldest niece will be a freshman at Georgia Tech this year and moves in this weekend. Obviously, I would love for LE to get this guy off the street ASAP — now more than ever. In the meantime, I’ve demanded that my niece follow the laundry list of safety precautions below. :D

Have your keys ready in your hand BEFORE you walk to/from your car. Don’t talk or text on your phone when you’re out alone (at any time — but especially at night).

Keep your keys with you and lock your car doors every time you stop for gas.

Avoid parking in dimly lit areas and avoid spots sandwiched between two vans, large trucks, or SUVs.

Never leave your drink unattended and only accept drinks if you’ve seen them prepare it (even water). Check bottle seals.

Always stay alert and aware of your surroundings. (I know this sounds like a tedious way to live, but maintaining awareness will quickly become second nature.)

Identify areas where a predator could easily conceal himself and avoid them (behind dense shrubbery, in poorly lit doorways or hallways, behind large dumpsters, etc).

Never get in an elevator with a lone male if you’re by yourself.

Don’t wear earbuds/headphones when you exercise.

Never walk past a group of loitering males.

Avoid fringe areas when you’re alone at night — these “in between” places are those we pass thru on our way to/from somewhere else (parking lots, stairwells, elevators, public bathrooms, ATMs, event exits at concerts and sporting events, shortcuts thru parks or alleys, etc).

If a stranger approaches you, draw attention to yourself in any way you can.

If you ever need help, always take the initiative to ask for it (rather than accept it from someone who offers). You’re much less likely to randomly ask someone who wants to harm you versus the other way around.

If someone demands your bag or wallet or jewelry or whatever, always comply. But toss it over their shoulder and then run in the opposite direction when they turn around to grab it.

If a stranger follows you, turn around and face them directly. Firmly tell them you’re not interested in continuing the conversation. Make direct eye contact to let them know you know what’s up and you’re not easy prey.

Don’t let well-established social norms trap you in potentially dangerous situations. Criminals aren’t bound to the rules of a civilized society and often use them to control their victims. They gamble with their lives and freedom every time they commit a crime, and the risk versus reward ratio largely depends on their ability to choose the “right victim”. One of the most critical factors in the victim selection process is an unwillingness to deviate from social norms. A “good” or “safe” victim will behave as they are expected — but narrow their chance of escape by doing so.

Examples of Social Norms: Don’t draw attention to yourself. Don’t lie. Don’t be loud in movie theaters and libraries. Don’t walk outside naked. Don’t take things that don’t belong to you. Don’t drive on the grass. Don’t ignore someone speaking to you. Don’t shove at people in a crowd. Don’t run a red light. Don’t touch anyone without their permission. Don’t skip others waiting in line. Don’t stand too close to people. Don’t speak out of turn. Don’t trespass on someone’s property without their permission.

If you are in danger, all bets (and social rules) are off. Do WHATEVER is needed to ensure your safety. You can worry about traffic tickets, looking crazy, being loud or rude, running thru someone’s yard after they decide you aren’t worth the risk and move on to an easier target.

Use every tool you have at your disposal (and say whatever might be necessary) to convince them you aren’t worth the effort.

If all else fails, aim for body parts where you can do the most damage: eyes (gouge, poke, scratch), nose (strike upwards using the heel of your palm), neck (thrust your elbow into his neck while pitching your weight forward), knee. Then run in a zigzag pattern toward the brightest lit nearby area.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: never get into a car or comply with demands to move to another location (even if he has a gun and threatens to kill you).

If he wants to take you somewhere else, it’s because he can’t carry out his plans where you are now. Your odds of survival are the very best they will ever be in that moment.

YOU ARE NOT EASY PREY, SO DON’T ACT LIKE IT.
Some very good pieces of advice but a few of these aren't practical,
-Never get in an elevator with a lone male if you’re by yourself.
-Don’t wear earbuds/headphones when you exercise.
As for societal norms, not lying or being obnoxious should be a given no matter what the circumstances.
I think the most important things are, be aware of your surroundings at all times.
However it seems crime has become to random, brazen and widespread it doesn't matter what one is doing: Police investigating a triple drive-by shooting outside Edgewood bar

Most importantly we need to take steps to curtail the rocketing crime rate.

Last edited:
Foxfire said that most of the time the killer turns out to be just lucky or smart about one or two things like getting away with a crime.
(...)
sorry for the long post. I said all that because the longer this goes on the more I’m afraid that this killer is intelligent and there is more than luck keeping him from being caught.

I think it was just luck. The killer went into the shadows. But, the fact that the camera didn't capture (as far as we know) Katie, Bowie, or the killer crossing Charles Allen Dr. just inside the gate where it's visible, very near the body locations, seems significant to me. At least in regards to which direction the attack came, maybe?
I think Foxfire's words will turn out to be very true. My speculation is that the attacker is very familiar with the park and has fantasized about murder for a long time. This may not have been his first time looking for a victim at PP, just the first time he was successful. I think he was smart about where to attack to maximize cover and escape routes, and then lucky about the timing.

I would not be surprised if the police do not yet have a suspect. Might be some people they are looking at. But it seems to me that if they had a real suspect, this would be moving faster. The killer maybe just got lucky, or maybe the killer is well experienced.

It happens.
The killer did seem to know what lights were out, both inside and outside of the park. That very dark spot seems to be where the killer was either hiding or committed the murder. But that could have been the case for anyone who went into and walked around the park frequently. Like, someone in the neighborhood. IMO that is likely.

My oldest niece will be a freshman at Georgia Tech this year and moves in this weekend. Obviously, I would love for LE to get this guy off the street ASAP — now more than ever. In the meantime, I’ve demanded that my niece follow the laundry list of safety precautions below. :D

Have your keys ready in your hand BEFORE you walk to/from your car. Don’t talk or text on your phone when you’re out alone (at any time — but especially at night).

Keep your keys with you and lock your car doors every time you stop for gas.

Avoid parking in dimly lit areas and avoid spots sandwiched between two vans, large trucks, or SUVs.

Never leave your drink unattended and only accept drinks if you’ve seen them prepare it (even water). Check bottle seals.

Always stay alert and aware of your surroundings. (I know this sounds like a tedious way to live, but maintaining awareness will quickly become second nature.)

Identify areas where a predator could easily conceal himself and avoid them (behind dense shrubbery, in poorly lit doorways or hallways, behind large dumpsters, etc).

Never get in an elevator with a lone male if you’re by yourself.

Don’t wear earbuds/headphones when you exercise.

Never walk past a group of loitering males.

Avoid fringe areas when you’re alone at night — these “in between” places are those we pass thru on our way to/from somewhere else (parking lots, stairwells, elevators, public bathrooms, ATMs, event exits at concerts and sporting events, shortcuts thru parks or alleys, etc).

If a stranger approaches you, draw attention to yourself in any way you can.

If you ever need help, always take the initiative to ask for it (rather than accept it from someone who offers). You’re much less likely to randomly ask someone who wants to harm you versus the other way around.

If someone demands your bag or wallet or jewelry or whatever, always comply. But toss it over their shoulder and then run in the opposite direction when they turn around to grab it.

If a stranger follows you, turn around and face them directly. Firmly tell them you’re not interested in continuing the conversation. Make direct eye contact to let them know you know what’s up and you’re not easy prey.

Don’t let well-established social norms trap you in potentially dangerous situations. Criminals aren’t bound to the rules of a civilized society and often use them to control their victims. They gamble with their lives and freedom every time they commit a crime, and the risk versus reward ratio largely depends on their ability to choose the “right victim”. One of the most critical factors in the victim selection process is an unwillingness to deviate from social norms. A “good” or “safe” victim will behave as they are expected — but narrow their chance of escape by doing so.

Examples of Social Norms: Don’t draw attention to yourself. Don’t lie. Don’t be loud in movie theaters and libraries. Don’t walk outside naked. Don’t take things that don’t belong to you. Don’t drive on the grass. Don’t ignore someone speaking to you. Don’t shove at people in a crowd. Don’t run a red light. Don’t touch anyone without their permission. Don’t skip others waiting in line. Don’t stand too close to people. Don’t speak out of turn. Don’t trespass on someone’s property without their permission.

If you are in danger, all bets (and social rules) are off. Do WHATEVER is needed to ensure your safety. You can worry about traffic tickets, looking crazy, being loud or rude, running thru someone’s yard after they decide you aren’t worth the risk and move on to an easier target.

Use every tool you have at your disposal (and say whatever might be necessary) to convince them you aren’t worth the effort.

If all else fails, aim for body parts where you can do the most damage: eyes (gouge, poke, scratch), nose (strike upwards using the heel of your palm), neck (thrust your elbow into his neck while pitching your weight forward), knee. Then run in a zigzag pattern toward the brightest lit nearby area.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: never get into a car or comply with demands to move to another location (even if he has a gun and threatens to kill you).

If he wants to take you somewhere else, it’s because he can’t carry out his plans where you are now. Your odds of survival are the very best they will ever be in that moment.

YOU ARE NOT EASY PREY, SO DON’T ACT LIKE IT.
Pre incident indicators and positional awareness to prevent an individual from being able to take advantage of or harm you.
Women have to learn to trust their gut feelings and being polite is not the answer!
A book by Gavin de Becker
"The Gift of Fear"
I can not stress enough that this book is a must read for every young woman beginning to make her way in the world.
Look it up!
Since I read this book I am able to pick up on these cues easily!
Since becoming a widow and trying to gage potential future interests, I can tell pretty quickly who to stay away from!
Absolutely excellent book!
MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members