GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
fwiw..
February 12, 2020 by Matthew Rossi.
Security Cameras Must Show Accurate Time for Use in Court
''When using a security camera system to catch criminals it is important to make sure that the correct time is set up. If the time settings are not correct, any recorded footage will have a timestamp that is incorrect and may be inadmissible in a court of law. By following this guide you will be able to ensure your surveillance system keeps the correct time.

Why is it important to have the correct time on security cameras?
Setting the correct time is one of the most important details when setting up a security camera system. Having incorrect settings or leaving it set to the wrong time will lead to a lot of headaches down the road. Security camera footage that shows incorrect time is not admissible in court for prosecution. Playing back recorded video will also be difficult if each camera has a different timestamp. Worst of all, you can overwrite valuable video that’s already been recorded to the hard drive.

It’s also important to have correct timestamps in case police want to check for footage. This is not only true for your home or business but also your neighbors. You can help by providing additional footage of a break-in, vandalism or theft. With correct timestamps the police will have no issues with using your recorded video in an investigation.''
This is critical in this case in my opinion. Is the timing on the cameras accurate? The timing of the murder is very important in this case, right down to the minute. The APD and FBI have had these photos/vid for almost a month. If there were time discrepancies, I would hope we would know that by now. So I am assuming (big mistake I know) that time times are correct. If so, I put the time of the murder between 12:30 and 12:40. But i would love for someone to give options. I really think the timing is critical.

by Morse Diggs
Published 9 hours ago

Piedmont Park murder reminds investigators of decades-old cold case
''Piedmont Park murder similar to decades-old cold case

Atlanta police investigators said they have not slowed in their investigation in the search for the suspect in the deadly stabbing at Piedmont Park. The case is also eerily similar to a cold case murder that happened decades earlier.''

''Katie Jahnness was stabbed to death. But the attack went beyond even that. It was what police refer to as an overkill.

The assailant used an instrument to carve a message on the torso of Jahnness.

The action brought to mind an old case involving a different female victim investigated by former homicide detective Vincent Velazquez. That body was discovered in east Atlanta along Flat Shoals Road.

"The killer carved an initial (V) on the forehead of the woman," Velazquez said. "He demonstrated a hatred of women and was diagnosed with a mental illness."

''The former detective said the victim's first name was Valerie. That killer is locked up and was in prison on the night that Katie was killed.''

by Morse Diggs
Published 9 hours ago

Piedmont Park murder reminds investigators of decades-old cold case
''Piedmont Park murder similar to decades-old cold case

Atlanta police investigators said they have not slowed in their investigation in the search for the suspect in the deadly stabbing at Piedmont Park. The case is also eerily similar to a cold case murder that happened decades earlier.''

''Katie Jahnness was stabbed to death. But the attack went beyond even that. It was what police refer to as an overkill.

The assailant used an instrument to carve a message on the torso of Jahnness.

The action brought to mind an old case involving a different female victim investigated by former homicide detective Vincent Velazquez. That body was discovered in east Atlanta along Flat Shoals Road.

"The killer carved an initial (V) on the forehead of the woman," Velazquez said. "He demonstrated a hatred of women and was diagnosed with a mental illness."

''The former detective said the victim's first name was Valerie. That killer is locked up and was in prison on the night that Katie was killed.''
I can’t believe they misspelled her last name throughout the article. And why would LE release details to the media and then instruct them not to repeat it? But sadly the information they confirmed had been circulating on social media from the beginning— so why wouldn’t LE update the public about it directly? And unless they’ve honed in on a suspect(s), the public is still in danger from a would-be serial killer. IMOO.

This is critical in this case in my opinion. Is the timing on the cameras accurate? The timing of the murder is very important in this case, right down to the minute. The APD and FBI have had these photos/vid for almost a month. If there were time discrepancies, I would hope we would know that by now. So I am assuming (big mistake I know) that time times are correct. If so, I put the time of the murder between 12:30 and 12:40. But i would love for someone to give options. I really think the timing is critical.
We all are doing an awful lot of assuming here. If we assume the rainbow crosswalk time is correct and Katie was killed where she was found, she couldn't have been killed much before 12:25-12:30, anyway, right? Because from locals I thought I'd seen it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to walk from 10th and Piedmont to Charles Allen gate? Is that correct?

I'm assuming jogger guy didn't see the crime scene in its entirety at 12:46 since he jogged out like normal and didn't seem deterred from then jogging the Beltline trail. That doesn’t mean the bodies weren't there, but I don't think he saw Katie. Maybe he saw Bowie. Idk.

You've got potential witnesses, jogger guy and hoodie, both leaving the park at different entrances around the same time, for whatever that's worth. Then there's a 15ish minute time gap until Emma gets to the park. Apparently, no known 911 calls or forthcoming witnesses in all that time. No dead dog reports, no one hearing and finding a phone ringing over and over, no potential witnesses rushing out the gate until Emma's call at 1:11AM.

For me, it all comes down to when Emma started calling Katie with no answer. Again, we have to assume her time estimates were correct, but LE has phone records to nail down that piece.

Last edited:
Have you called this in? I'm serious.

user1123, eerie similarities 0i agree, and I checked, there are two bus lines that I found that go straight from Atlanta to Springfield. Greyhound for about $200 and Peter Pan for around $70. I hope you do call it in.

I did. Contacted APD, FBI and crime stoppers.

IF somehow they are connected being exactly two weeks apart... Tomorrow will be two weeks from the second kill. Let's hope they're not related and there's not another.

Last edited:
I can’t believe they misspelled her last name throughout the article. And why would LE release details to the media and then instruct them not to repeat it? But sadly the information they confirmed had been circulating on social media from the beginning— so why wouldn’t LE update the public about it directly? And unless they’ve honed in on a suspect(s), the public is still in danger from a would-be serial killer. IMOO.
It's a really crappy article, they should be ashamed for publishing it.
I guess a scoop is the most important thing, even if it may be wrong.
From the link:
"In the potential message killing of Ms. Jahnness, police sources have told Fox5 what was carved into her torso. Police do not want that information revealed because deputy chief Charles Hampton, said, "there are details that only the killer would know about."

fwiw..
February 12, 2020 by Matthew Rossi.
Security Cameras Must Show Accurate Time for Use in Court
''When using a security camera system to catch criminals it is important to make sure that the correct time is set up. If the time settings are not correct, any recorded footage will have a timestamp that is incorrect and may be inadmissible in a court of law. By following this guide you will be able to ensure your surveillance system keeps the correct time.

Why is it important to have the correct time on security cameras?
Setting the correct time is one of the most important details when setting up a security camera system. Having incorrect settings or leaving it set to the wrong time will lead to a lot of headaches down the road. Security camera footage that shows incorrect time is not admissible in court for prosecution. Playing back recorded video will also be difficult if each camera has a different timestamp. Worst of all, you can overwrite valuable video that’s already been recorded to the hard drive.

It’s also important to have correct timestamps in case police want to check for footage. This is not only true for your home or business but also your neighbors. You can help by providing additional footage of a break-in, vandalism or theft. With correct timestamps the police will have no issues with using your recorded video in an investigation.''
We all are doing an awful lot of assuming here. If we assume the rainbow crosswalk time is correct and Katie was killed where she was found, she couldn't have been killed much before 12:25-12:30, anyway, right? Because from locals I thought I'd seen it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to walk from 10th and Piedmont to Charles Allen gate? Is that correct?

I'm assuming jogger guy didn't see the crime scene in its entirety at 12:46 since he jogged out like normal and didn't seem deterred from then jogging the Beltline trail. That doesn’t mean the bodies weren't there, but I don't think he saw Katie. Maybe he saw Bowie. Idk.

You've got potential witnesses, jogger guy and hoodie, both leaving the park at different entrances around the same time, for whatever that's worth. Then there's a 15ish minute time gap until Emma gets to the park. Apparently, no known 911 calls or forthcoming witnesses in all that time. No dead dog reports, no one hearing and finding a phone ringing over and over, no potential witnesses rushing out the gate until Emma's call at 1:11AM.

For me, it all comes down to when Emma started calling Katie with no answer. Again, we have to assume her time estimates were correct, but LE has phone records to nail down that piece.
I totally agree. When did Emma start trying to call/text Katie with no response. Certainly LE has the exact time because they could see it from her phone. But they have not released that info yet.

This video was posted to an instagram account that I follow called ATLSCOOP that posts things Atlanta area related.

Login • Instagram

WOW. I have to agree with you, @SleepyLabRat! I'm glad she started screaming at him to get the attention of the men in the area that stepped in! She did the right thing. People are freaking crazy these days, and have completely lost the plot. It's become a daily thing, absolute bonkery (is that a word? It is now.) This dude was seriously walking around in broad daylight with what looks like a (dirty) chef's knife! Is that what that is? I hope he was promptly arrested, especially in light of another recent brutal stabbing!

“lol”?? I don’t find this confrontation funny. And I think it’s abundantly clear that the man is harassing the woman filming since he is walking towards her, with what appears to be a large knife in his hand. The woman is doing exactly what anyone who has taken a self-defense class is taught to do: be loud, be assertive, and draw attention to yourself.

The Instagram post literally says "Today this man attacked me...". Do we have any evidence of such?
More than happy if he is the perp and we put this behind us, but there should be much skepticism when viewing a snippet of video via an Instagram recorded and posted by one of the parties.

MOD NOTE
We are getting ready to close this thread and move to a new one HERE.
This thread #2 is still open for the next 10 minutes, then will CLOSE and we can set up camp in Thread #3 for Katherine.

This is an Atlanta PD case, not FBI. FBI is just assisting. So any updates will come from APD.
In your opinion, based on what we know so far, does APD have any leads or suspects? I imagine there is no way for us to know. It just seems surreal to me that someone could do this in a public park with people around and get away with it.

In your opinion, based on what we know so far, does APD have any leads or suspects? I imagine there is no way for us to know. It just seems surreal to me that someone could do this in a public park with people around and get away with it.
It is a bit surreal that this crime occurred when and where it did with no apparent witnesses. Either there are no clear suspects or they have a good suspect but are still gathering evidence before an arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny