GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't local LE and the Mayor can't request the FBI be involved?
The GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigations) is one of the oldest in the nation and DNA from dogs mouth is nothing new. DNA from dog's mouth helps track down violent criminal in Ohio
Atlanta is a large metro area that has many gruesome crimes. I am not saying this wasn't particularly bad or unique but the nature of the pressure the Mayor/APD is facing helped in having them call the FBI in.
For those unfamiliar with what is taking place in Atlanta, Buckhead the northern part of the city is studying and proposing succeeding from the city due to crime. If they leave they take their massive tax base with them and the City of Atlanta will face a massive crisis. Not saying there were not other reasons for the FBI to be called in, but to think it was purely based on the specific manner of the crime is overlooking the bigger picture.
Watch this and see if it answers any questions.
Piedmont Park stabbing: Atlanta Police chief speaks after woman and dog killed | 11alive.com
there are many reasons the FBI can be called in but the police chief explains why he made the call in this case.
Having the FBI might help with political pressure maybe but I don’t think that played into it.

Last edited:
The attacker must have been very strong to kill a pit bull. And more than likely, this was premeditated, not random. That may explain the person seen in the full hoodie sweatshirt.

I have a Carhartt sweatshirt, that I was wearing when I got into an issue with razor wire. The shirt has a few rips, I didn't feel a thing. A thick sweatshirt would be an excellent barrier for a dog bite.

They have to have valid reasons to request FBI....So, if u don't think they need FBI for DNA from dog's mouth what does that leave you?
Moo
Perhaps it leaves you with something unusual about the crime scene whether related to the dog or not. Some thing the experienced people viewing the crime scene had not seen before and they wanted FBI resources to see if anything like this has happened in another state.

The attacker must have been very strong to kill a pit bull. And more than likely, this was premeditated, not random. That may explain the person seen in the full hoodie sweatshirt.

I have a Carhartt sweatshirt, that I was wearing when I got into an issue with razor wire. The shirt has a few rips, I didn't feel a thing. A thick sweatshirt would be an excellent barrier for a dog bite.

The one thing I noticed about the hoodie guy was that immediately upon walking thru the gate he looks left and right - as I would if watching traffic just before crossing a street - but he doesn't cross the street. So, was he looking to see if anyone was standing there? Could be nothing.

I am local to the area. This happened during a particularly hot few days. Night time temps were definitely not cool enough for a sweatshirt. Whoever was wearing it had a different reason then weather. Not saying that reason was definitely to murder Katherine, just that it definitely wasn’t weather. I could see someone wearing a long sleeve athletic shirt with a hood on it. Sort of like pro-fisherman wear in the sun these days. But why have the hood up at night if it’s purpose is to block sun? I love hoodies, I wear them literally every chance I get. I haven’t worn one outside in months, it’s just too humid.

I personally think this was someone whom she didn't know.
He killed her in a very high risk place, with a dog and cameras all over the place. I don't think someone would do that if they knew the victim, they would want to reduce the risk of being caught. The killer took their time. IMO this was someone who had a certain fantasy about her. I can't really say whether this was premeditated or impulsive, though i'm leaning more towards premeditated. And by the way LE said the killer disfigured her, i'm thinking about a crime with a more power oriented motive.
This is all a theory though, i'm always open to new discussions and arguments.
What you say here about a more power oriented motive is interesting. Killing someone walking a pit bull when there would have been softer targets around, in a location that does not guarantee privacy and taking the time to disfigure. Maybe the added presence of the dog appealed to the killer.
Omg i hope not. But it is worth consideration.

What you say here about a more power oriented motive is interesting. Killing someone walking a pit bull when there would have been softer targets around, in a location that does not guarantee privacy and taking the time to disfigure. Maybe the added presence of the dog appealed to the killer.

These are really good points. Sad but good. The mutilation aspect has been haunting me from the beginning, it definitely screams someone who is very sick and wants to be in control? I guess I shouldn’t speak out of turn because I am actually not sure the psychology behind stabbing but I imagine there is something about domination????

Horrifying thought: that he enjoyed taking such a risk!

Horrifying thought: that he enjoyed taking such a risk!
I've been wondering if it could be a younger killer in the 18-21 range.I'm not sure he was actually smart in getting away but just more lucky that he didn't run into someone in this still crowded area.It seems like it would fit more he would take this chance and has had this fantasy for a long time.

These are really good points. Sad but good. The mutilation aspect has been haunting me from the beginning, it definitely screams someone who is very sick and wants to be in control? I guess I shouldn’t speak out of turn because I am actually not sure the psychology behind stabbing but I imagine there is something about domination????
I don’t know anything really about the psychology of stabbing Or stabbing plus added disfigurement as it has been reported.
Several days ago I went on another thread i follow here where there are some posters more educated/well read in this kind of thing. One of the posters who responded to my request to weigh in on this case is yemelyan. If you search for this posters posts in this thread you will find some links and thoughts that apply to this.
Thank you yemelyan!!!

I've been wondering if it could be a younger killer in the 18-21 range.I'm not sure he was actually smart in getting away but just more lucky that he didn't run into someone in this still crowded area.It seems like it would fit more he would take this chance and has had this fantasy for a long time.
But it's not that crowded an area overall, the park is fairly big and if I were to guess I'd say there were <50 people in it in total near/at that time. The perp had many routes to take to avoid being detected including going North in the park.

I don’t know anything really about the psychology of stabbing Or stabbing plus added disfigurement as it has been reported.
Several days ago I went on another thread i follow here where there are some posters more educated/well read in this kind of thing. One of the posters who responded to my request to weigh in on this case is yemelyan. If you search for this posters posts in this thread you will find some links and thoughts that apply to this.
Thank you yemelyan!!!

Piquerism - Wikipedia

Thank you, Law and Order SVU.

She may have been the only woman or girl walking alone in the park that night...even with a dog. I have only seen men coming out of thepark on the videos
Yes. I think a woman in the park at midnight would be unusual. I would think 98 out of 100 people who would be in Piedmont Park at midnight are men looking for other men. Just my opinion.
I still think she may have been on 10th St. and somehow lured into the park Or chased into the park but that would be on camera I think.

My favorite theory right now involves gangland drug-trafficking enforcers settling a debt and sending a message. The FBI will be all over that; there was a similar case last year in Upstate SC.

Because of Websleuth's restrictions regarding victimology, I'll keep my reasoning to myself. But I don't think this was totally random, and I don't think it was a love-triangle situation or a hate crime. I didn't see anything inappropriate about her partner's affect in her interview.

I do wonder if Katie was related to Marc Janness, a convicted murderer from Michigan. It's strange how little of a footprint these folks had online, apart from her SoundCloud Katie Janness .

Drugs and dealing can be a part of anyone's life... rich, poor, female, male, etc. And, brazen brutality can play a part of the dealing/using, as well. But, this case doesn't seem drug-dealing, gangland retaliation to me.

Also, if the convicted murderer you referred to in your post was the one I found... I believe he died in 2017.

jmo

Aug 7 2021 rbbm.
Piedmont Park murder victim's partner speaks out
''ATLANTA - Emma Clark said her partner Katie Janness walked all around Midtown Atlanta often.

"She knew all the streets,
" Clark said. "She knew everywhere she was going all the time."

"I ran over to her (Katie) and put my hands on her face and I checked for a pulse but you could tell that she was not alive — there was a lot of blood and she had her neck slashed, so it was very clear.''

''Clark said Janness was an "incredible dog mom and advocate for social justice." She was a musician and was well-known in the Midtown Atlanta community.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288