GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

Specific and accurate details of the murder and crime scene were on social media within 24hrs of the crime.

I have always wondered how people were in possession of the facts so early on.

Specific and accurate details of the murder and crime scene were on social media within 24hrs of the crime.

I have always wondered how people were in possession of the facts so early on.
If there were details of the murder and crime scene, I haven’t seen those stories. The stories were very general in my opinion. That’s the problem with solving this case, there haven’t been enough details released to generate significant leads. At this point, with nearly three years having passed, the APD needs to release more facts.

@RetLawyer

I read details of the crime scene in the comments section of a FB post by a local/prominent news blogger/freelance journalist. Also on NextDoor and Insta. So when Captain? Hampton? of APD stated at the scene to media that it was “gruesome,” I had some ref point but didn’t know how completely accurate the details previously shared were until the release of the ME report.

(So imo someone with direct knowledge of the crime scene was talking about it in detail very early on).

@RetLawyer

I read details of the crime scene in the comments section of a FB post by a local/prominent news blogger/freelance journalist. Also on NextDoor and Insta. So when Captain? Hampton? of APD stated at the scene to media that it was “gruesome,” I had some ref point but didn’t know how completely accurate the details previously shared were until the release of the ME report.

(So imo someone with direct knowledge of the crime scene was talking about it in detail very early on).
I can't quite remember, but I know we knew about letters being carved into her body well before the autopsy came out, and it seems like it was just a few days after the murder. But I don't know where that info came from.

I can't quite remember, but I know we knew about letters being carved into her body well before the autopsy came out, and it seems like it was just a few days after the murder. But I don't know where that info came from.
That info came from a reporter who was told by an inside source in the APD. He was not suppose to release it publicly.

That info came from a reporter who was told by an inside source in the APD. He was not suppose to release it publicly.
I wonder if that was the only source. There was a least one other person that saw KJ's body, the person EC is heard talking to on the 911 call. We don't much if anything about who that person was.

I wonder if that was the only source. There was a least one other person that saw KJ's body, the person EC is heard talking to on the 911 call. We don't much if anything about who that person was.
That’s a good question. I would love to know who that person is and what they saw. I’d also like to know about the person who was making a 911 call around the time of Emma’s call.

Sigh. This case is just so heartbreaking. And the fact there’s been no arrests or seemingly any major moves even heading that direction, truly terrifying. Especially as a dog owning lesbian local to metro Atlanta. I just hope they can get the sick and twisted individual responsible for this, and soon.

THIS IS A RANT THAT I’VE WANTED TO POST FOR A WHILE. (BBM)

Initially, let me apologize if anything I say offends anyone. That is not my intent. My intent in participating in this thread is to try to draw attention to Katie’s and Bowie’s horrific murders and to get them solved and justice done.

I continue to be concerned that the APD does not have the right strategy to solve this. They have done nothing to effectively enlist the assistance of the public, especially Midtown and Atlanta. I am confident APD is not following the strategy that has been recommended by the FBI. By this time the FBI would have recommended that APD strategically release the murder’s profile information as well as information from the victimology report on Katie. Eg., the public, Midtown, should know critical facts about what, where and when Katie had been in the weeks and days prior to her murder. That could help someone make a connection to a potential suspect; same idea if they would release critical information about who might commit this kind of murder.

Next, I am perplexed and somewhat outraged that the LGBTQ+ community in Midtown has not and is not waging a public campaign putting pressure on the city, the APD and DAs office to provide updates, explain what they are doing etc.
There has to be ongoing public pressure for this case to be solved. If I lived there and knew the community, I would absolutely be organizing the LGBTQ+ to do that.

Finally, and this will likely be the most controversial and/or offensive to some. I sincerely and with all the grace but being as outspoken and direct as I can. Emma, Katie’s mother, Katie’s inner circle need to be out in the public doing interviews, hold press conferences. I know they have been hesitant to put pressure on APD or to criticize them. I would argue that being quiet and nice to APD or other city/county officials is not going to get Katie’s killer brought to justice. Also, at this point, Emma or Katie’s mother and/or inner circle need to enlist the help of a cold case organization. This is a cold case. I recommend the Cold Case Foundation founded and directed by Sheryl McCollum, who resides in Atlanta, is a forensic crime analyst with decades of experience in many high profile murder cases. She reported on this case immediately after the murder. To engage her organization, however, a request must come from the family or close contact to Katie. I implore the family to do this and to take action in a public way to move this case forward.

I am finished with my rant. I want nothing more than to see Katie’s horrific, terrifying, terribly unique case solved. And, I am disappointed, angry and deeply concerned about the reason this case is not getting more attention. Though I live in San Francisco, I am going to keep screaming and hope others in Atlanta do as well.

March 18 2024
''But Williams has also heard gunshots by the park. He called it reckless behavior and something he had gotten used to over time.''
''Bond said the city had placed hundreds of cameras around its 20 most-used parks, and several of the previously existing cameras had been upgraded recently.
Nearly three years ago, Katie Janness and her dog lost their lives in a violent stabbing at Piedmont Park. Police have yet to make an arrest in the case. Bond hopes more police presence can combat crime in some of the most popular spots in the city.

"We’re coming up on spring, summertime will be here in just a couple months," Bond said. "We’re going to hit peak season, and so we want to be prepared for that.”
Williams backs the push for more officers to patrol parks and pools as long as the pressure doesn't fall solely on those called to protect and serve. ''

March 19, 2024 VIDEO
'The murders of Jakari Dillard at the Anderson Park pool and Katie Janness at Piedmont Park sparked a nearly 3-year effort to put more camera in Atlanta’s major parks and increase patrols.'

THIS IS A RANT THAT I’VE WANTED TO POST FOR A WHILE. (BBM)

Initially, let me apologize if anything I say offends anyone. That is not my intent. My intent in participating in this thread is to try to draw attention to Katie’s and Bowie’s horrific murders and to get them solved and justice done.

I continue to be concerned that the APD does not have the right strategy to solve this. They have done nothing to effectively enlist the assistance of the public, especially Midtown and Atlanta. I am confident APD is not following the strategy that has been recommended by the FBI. By this time the FBI would have recommended that APD strategically release the murder’s profile information as well as information from the victimology report on Katie. Eg., the public, Midtown, should know critical facts about what, where and when Katie had been in the weeks and days prior to her murder. That could help someone make a connection to a potential suspect; same idea if they would release critical information about who might commit this kind of murder.

Next, I am perplexed and somewhat outraged that the LGBTQ+ community in Midtown has not and is not waging a public campaign putting pressure on the city, the APD and DAs office to provide updates, explain what they are doing etc.
There has to be ongoing public pressure for this case to be solved. If I lived there and knew the community, I would absolutely be organizing the LGBTQ+ to do that.

Finally, and this will likely be the most controversial and/or offensive to some. I sincerely and with all the grace but being as outspoken and direct as I can. Emma, Katie’s mother, Katie’s inner circle need to be out in the public doing interviews, hold press conferences. I know they have been hesitant to put pressure on APD or to criticize them. I would argue that being quiet and nice to APD or other city/county officials is not going to get Katie’s killer brought to justice. Also, at this point, Emma or Katie’s mother and/or inner circle need to enlist the help of a cold case organization. This is a cold case. I recommend the Cold Case Foundation founded and directed by Sheryl McCollum, who resides in Atlanta, is a forensic crime analyst with decades of experience in many high profile murder cases. She reported on this case immediately after the murder. To engage her organization, however, a request must come from the family or close contact to Katie. I implore the family to do this and to take action in a public way to move this case forward.

I am finished with my rant. I want nothing more than to see Katie’s horrific, terrifying, terribly unique case solved. And, I am disappointed, angry and deeply concerned about the reason this case is not getting more attention. Though I live in San Francisco, I am going to keep screaming and hope others in Atlanta do as well.
Thank you for posting your rant.
Relatable on every level.

I’d add:
WHY hasn’t a national LGBTQ publication put out a story or ten on this case? LE doesn’t know for sure that this isn’t a hate crime.

Also WHY did Midtown Alliance host a happy hour networky kinda thing at Campagnola within a few weeks of KJs murder…balloons and everything iirc? Poor taste/Poor timing imo.

Also where’s the push for justice from Campagnola and Henry’s owner (same person) and staff? This crime is so closely tied to those businesses, I never understood the seeming silence.

Thank you for posting your rant.
Relatable on every level.

I’d add:
WHY hasn’t a national LGBTQ publication put out a story or ten on this case? LE doesn’t know for sure that this isn’t a hate crime.

Also WHY did Midtown Alliance host a happy hour networky kinda thing at Campagnola within a few weeks of KJs murder…balloons and everything iirc? Poor taste/Poor timing imo.

Also where’s the push for justice from Campagnola and Henry’s owner (same person) and staff? This crime is so closely tied to those businesses, I never understood the seeming silence.
I agree with all your points. The murder doesn’t have to be a hate crime for LGBTQ+ organizations to keep this case in the public consciousness. It’s enough that the victim was an out lesbian. It’s like what happens to cases where the victim is a sex worker. Police departments have historically failed to adequately investigate and prosecute cases where the victim is from a marginalized community. And, the failure of LBGTQ+ organizations not to press this case allows for police to continue to marginalize certain victims.

Here’s my rant:

At this time there is zero evidence that this was a hate crime, and zero evidence that APD is intentionally not investigating KJ’s murder because she was a lesbian. WS is a LE friendly site, and imo what some are suggesting here is LE bashing and conspiracy theory,

Imo APD and the city are especially determined to solve this case - precisely because of who KJ was, precisely because of the community around the park, and precisely because of the national image of the City of Atlanta. I bet if you asked APD and the mayor and the city council if there was one case on their books that they would most like to solve, they would say the murder of Katie Janness.

Are you suggesting that if the victim had been a black man, the case would be receiving more attention from APD, the city, and the local, state, and national media? <modsnip: rude and unnecessary>

Also, to suggest that the main reason that the crime has not been solved is because APD has not revealed enough information to you - to web sleuthers and the public - is nonsense. As web sleuthers and the public, we would all like to have more information on every case we follow.

On this case, LE immediately came out with gate area surveillance footage, footage at the rainbow intersection, info / admissions about why the park camera system provided no help, info re: possible witnesses they interviewed (incl possible witnesses they wanted to come forward), info about EC, the timeline, and perhaps the most detailed non-redacted autopsy report I’ve ever seen.

And it is crazy imo that people on this thread are bashing KJ’s family and EC for not holding protests and appearing on national TV every week. They are victims.

I also think people need to remember that LE is not required to reveal to web sleuthers or the public everything they know about the case. We are not owed or entitled to that information. They are trying to solve a crime without jeopardizing a possible future prosecution of the individual who committed it. Everybody is welcome to their own opinion, but mine is that if there was information that APD could release which they felt would advance the investigation and help solve the crime without compromising a possible future prosecution, I believe they would release it.

I share everyone’s frustration. I live in Atlanta, I love the park. I love the midtown community. I love the city. I’ve been following this case since day 1. I remember that day, the weather, and the news the following day. Everything. It traumatized all of us. And it still traumatizes all of us - those who knew KJ, those who live in midtown, the LGBTQ+ community, and everybody who lives in or near the city of Atlanta. Lives and families were destroyed. The community and city’s sense of safety and security was ripped out from under us.

Katie’s murder was an abomination. A vulgar attack on an innocent, kind, unique, and beautiful woman by a demented, possibly insane, incredibly evil person. There needs to be Justice for Katie Janness.

Aa jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s my rant:

Imo APD and the city are especially determined to solve this case - precisely because of who KJ was, precisely because of the community around the park, and precisely because of the national image of the City of Atlanta.

Aa jmo
Seems to be no progress made despite such "strong determination" to solve this case on the part of Atlanta authorities. JMO

Here’s my rant:

At this time there is zero evidence that this was a hate crime, and zero evidence that APD is intentionally not investigating KJ’s murder because she was a lesbian. WS is a LE friendly site, and imo what some are suggesting here is LE bashing and conspiracy theory,

Imo APD and the city are especially determined to solve this case - precisely because of who KJ was, precisely because of the community around the park, and precisely because of the national image of the City of Atlanta. I bet if you asked APD and the mayor and the city council if there was one case on their books that they would most like to solve, they would say the murder of Katie Janness.

Are you suggesting that if the victim had been a black man, the case would be receiving more attention from APD, the city, and the local, state, and national media? Because if you are, you are deluded.

Also, to suggest that the main reason that the crime has not been solved is because APD has not revealed enough information to you - to web sleuthers and the public - is nonsense. As web sleuthers and the public, we would all like to have more information on every case we follow.

On this case, LE immediately came out with gate area surveillance footage, footage at the rainbow intersection, info / admissions about why the park camera system provided no help, info re: possible witnesses they interviewed (incl possible witnesses they wanted to come forward), info about EC, the timeline, and perhaps the most detailed non-redacted autopsy report I’ve ever seen.

And it is crazy imo that people on this thread are bashing KJ’s family and EC for not holding protests and appearing on national TV every week. They are victims.

I also think people need to remember that LE is not required to reveal to web sleuthers or the public everything they know about the case. We are not owed or entitled to that information. They are trying to solve a crime without jeopardizing a possible future prosecution of the individual who committed it. Everybody is welcome to their own opinion, but mine is that if there was information that APD could release which they felt would advance the investigation and help solve the crime without compromising a possible future prosecution, I believe they would release it.

I share everyone’s frustration. I live in Atlanta, I love the park. I love the midtown community. I love the city. I’ve been following this case since day 1. I remember that day, the weather, and the news the following day. Everything. It traumatized all of us. And it still traumatizes all of us - those who knew KJ, those who live in midtown, the LGBTQ+ community, and everybody who lives in or near the city of Atlanta. Lives and families were destroyed. The community and city’s sense of safety and security was ripped out from under us.

Katie’s murder was an abomination. A vulgar attack on an innocent, kind, unique, and beautiful woman by a demented, possibly insane, incredibly evil person. There needs to be Justice for Katie Janness.

Aa jmo

Amen.

Here’s my rant:

Are you suggesting that if the victim had been a black man, the case would be receiving more attention from APD, the city, and the local, state, and national media? Because if you are, you are deluded.

Aa jmo

Indeed:
“Everybody is welcome to their own opinion”

Thankfully we all seem to agree where it matters most:

“There needs to be Justice for Katie Janness.”

Here’s my rant:

Are you suggesting that if the victim had been a black man, the case would be receiving more attention from APD, the city, and the local, state, and national media? <modsnip: rude and unnecessary>

Aa jmo
You are so right on every single thought that you took the time to express!!! Everything I believe to be true about the APD and their non-stop efforts towards finding the murderer, the feelings shared by the community in which Katie lived and the surrounding area, how the lead detectives, FYI agents and their supervisors DO know what information, if any, needs to be given to the public, and how this savage and fatal attack tore apart so many lives, is summed up exactly.

I especially agree from talking to experts in this field, that the devastation caused to others’ lives is vast and can have far-reaching consequences. Many parents can feel as if the murder of their child just happened even though it was months or years ago. Therapy can assist family members and friends of the deceased in living their lives with the multiple shards of heartbreak that will always accompany them, but their lives will never be the same.

Yes, I believe we all want justice for Katie and Bowie, and have our own ideas on how that might be accomplished. And if anyone wanted to air a podcast or other reminder of the need for people to step forward to help solve this case, they are free to do so, new information is unnecessary, but a desire to do so is.

Thank you, Rush4087.

Last edited by a moderator:
As we know, the investigators are extremely tight-lipped about this case. Why, then, release the ME report?

You are so right on every single thought that you took the time to express!!! Everything I believe to be true about the APD and their non-stop efforts towards finding the murderer, the feelings shared by the community in which Katie lived and the surrounding area, how the lead detectives, FYI agents and their supervisors DO know what information, if any, needs to be given to the public, and how this savage and fatal attack tore apart so many lives, is summed up exactly.

I especially agree from talking to experts in this field, that the devastation caused to others’ lives is vast and can have far-reaching consequences. Many parents can feel as if the murder of their child just happened even though it was months or years ago. Therapy can assist family members and friends of the deceased in living their lives with the multiple shards of heartbreak that will always accompany them, but their lives will never be the same.

Yes, I believe we all want justice for Katie and Bowie, and have our own ideas on how that might be accomplished. And if anyone wanted to air a podcast or other reminder of the need for people to step forward to help solve this case, they are free to do so, new information is unnecessary, but a desire to do so is.

Thank you, Rush4087.
If the APD and others approach is the right one, why does the APD have no leads and no suspects, at least that’s what the APD detective who I spoke with told me?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back