GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

dotr

Reaction score
Police seek clues after woman and dog killed in Atlanta park
''ATLANTA -- Investigators sought video from homes and businesses near a popular Atlanta park as divers searched a pond in their quest to solve the stabbing death of a parkgoer who was walking her dog.

Katherine Janness, 40, was found dead in Piedmont Park around 1 a.m. Wednesday. Police say her dog was also killed. No arrests have been made.''

''Janness was found stabbed multiple times and Atlanta police Deputy Chief Charles Hampton described the scene as “gruesome.”

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4

Last edited by a moderator:
MOD NOTE

There have been numerous posts in this thread that have been posted as RUMORS which is a serious violation of Websleuths TOS.

There have also been posts that stated info as fact without an MSM link which is also a violation of TOS. If info is posted as fact without the substantiating MSM link, it is also considered RUMOR.

Members should not reply to posts that involve RUMORS because it causes the rumors to be perpetuated. Please do not do that.

Repeatedly ignoring the TOS will result in many removed posts and risk members losing posting privileges. The victims and families of the crimes we discuss here deserve our respect. Please conduct the discussion with that in mind by posting in accordance with the TOS.

THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly while following the Websleuths’ rules.

ADMIN NOTE:

Sorry folks, but some posts have been removed as there does not appear to be any MSM or info from Atlanta PD regarding an upcoming presser by APD.

From TOS aka The Rules: Etiquette & Information

Websleuths is fact based, so unless a member is Verified by Websleuths as either a professional or case insider, information stated as fact must contain a link to an approved source, otherwise it is considered hearsay/rumor.

1668347630872.png
by Sheryl McCollum, Contributor
November 17, 2021 rbbm.
''This attack had to have started right after Katie entered the park. Where Bowie was found suggests he was killed first and Katie likely tried to run away, but the killer caught her after about 100 steps. According to the autopsy report, Katie died due to “sharp force injuries of her face, neck, and torso that caused injuries of major blood vessels and internal organs.”

She had numerous cuts and stab wounds to her hands. These are called defensive wounds because the victim is trying to stop the attacker from stabbing her face, chest, or other vital areas. The autopsy report reveals that Katie was stabbed over 50 times.''

''The killer also took the time to carve letters into Katie’s torso: F, A, and T. Carving letters or words into a victim are for the psychological gratification of the killer. This action has nothing to do with accomplishing a murder.

Former medical examiner and forensics investigator JoScott Morgan tells me according to the autopsy, Katie was alive while these letters are being carved into her body! She was still alive while this killer tortured her which Morgan says, “is indicative of the hemorrhage is Antemortem meaning these injuries occurred before death.”

JoScott Morgan has worked thousands of homicides from domestics to serial killers. This case is more sinister than most.

“This killer took extra time to write on this live victim. Pull her pants down. Stab her more than 50 times. They had some skill with instrumentation,” Morgan said. “Was this killer using a medical tool or multiple edge weapons”? ''

Early on some of us thought a long weapon might have been used to attack K & B, just updated a cold case involving an attack on a young man in a park and this bit caught my attention, fwiw imo.
2022 rbbm.
''Authorities later determined that David was killed with an edged weapon. The weapon has never been recovered.

"Until this case came up, I was oblivious to how many people carry machetes and how many people carry swords," Chief O'Meara said. “We were getting tips left and right and up and down and from every angle. It turns out an awful lot of people carry swords around for one reason or another.”

The chief said they followed up on the tips. “So we contacted countless people that were carrying heavy-edged weapons,” he said. “We confiscated a lot of large bladed weapons
and unfortunately none of it really led anywhere."

Last edited:
"This attack had to have started right after Katie entered the park."

I don't understand this. I think most of us believe she and Bowie had walked in the park from its east edge to the GA gate. Is this author assuming that since they were found near the GA gate that they must have entered there?

"This attack had to have started right after Katie entered the park."

I don't understand this. I think most of us believe she and Bowie had walked in the park from its east edge to the GA gate. Is this author assuming that since they were found near the GA gate that they must have entered there?
I think you might mean the CA Gate?

My thinking is she turned right on 10th Street at Piedmont Rd, skirted the edge of the park where sidewalk meets grass vs coming through at 12th entrance and walking deep into the park.

Could the perp be underage and therefore under the radar?
Carving letters/words into someone does seem like an immature ''insult to injury'' action, but on the other hand, reminiscent of young females carving names and hearts into a school desk, imo, speculation.fwiw. rbbm.

''Mary Flora Bell (born 26 May 1957)[3] is an English woman who, as a juvenile, murdered two preschool-age boys in Scotswood, an inner suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1968.[4] Bell committed her first murder when she was 10 years old. ''

'' Numerous puncture wounds had been inflicted to the child's legs before death, sections of his hair had been cut from his head, his genitals had been partially mutilated, and a crude attempt had been made to carve the initial "M" into his stomach.[9][n 4] The relatively small amount of force used to murder the child led the coroner to conclude the murderer was another child.[39]''

Could the perp be underage and therefore under the radar?
Carving letters/words into someone does seem like an immature ''insult to injury'' action, but on the other hand, reminiscent of young females carving names and hearts into a school desk, imo, speculation.fwiw. rbbm.

''Mary Flora Bell (born 26 May 1957)[3] is an English woman who, as a juvenile, murdered two preschool-age boys in Scotswood, an inner suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1968.[4] Bell committed her first murder when she was 10 years old. ''

'' Numerous puncture wounds had been inflicted to the child's legs before death, sections of his hair had been cut from his head, his genitals had been partially mutilated, and a crude attempt had been made to carve the initial "M" into his stomach.[9][n 4] The relatively small amount of force used to murder the child led the coroner to conclude the murderer was another child.[39]''
I doubt it. Simply because it would be incredibly difficult for a child to overpower an average sized adult and a large dog. I would speculate never in a million years.

But could they be in the age range if 16-18? Possibly.

I still think it was someone close to her. I don’t think this was a random crime. I’m speculating this was a crime of passion, too many red flags for me. JMO.

I doubt it. Simply because it would be incredibly difficult for a child to overpower an average sized adult and a large dog. I would speculate never in a million years.

But could they be in the age range if 16-18? Possibly.

I still think it was someone close to her. I don’t think this was a random crime. I’m speculating this was a crime of passion, too many red flags for me. JMO.
Sadly, I do agree. And back awhile, one member wrote kindly that any park at night so late isn’t a place really for anyone. I honestly do not know if Katie routinely went Into the park or just walked around part of its exterior perimeter. She was street smart and not prone to doing stupid things, nor taking her safety for granted, I believe. Yes, we all Should be able to go anywhere we please, but it’s true that there are many mentally ill people all around; there are hateful, vengeful, evil individuals; and there are those who want the highs and experience/s of taking control of another’s life whether to terrify him/her or go the last step and fatally brutalize that person. I know there are good people all around, too, who do for others in quiet, unadvertised ways. But as much as I’d like to see good overcome bad, it seems like the malicious, hurtful acts we see and hear about are so much larger and far-reaching.

I want this solved very much as do all of you. I want ‘justice for Katie and Bowie’ as another member posted not too long ago. I want to know WHY!!! Would it help if her story went onto Unsolved Crimes?

Last edited:
Thinking of Katie Janness' family and friends as we head into this second holiday season since her passing. Wishing for justice for their loved one and hopefully some closure and peace for them soon. ❤️
Thank you very much for your kind words. I hope Katie can know how many people keep her and Bowie in their thoughts, caring individuals she never got the chance to meet. Time goes by quickly, but it feels like it just happened. Happy Holiday Season to all of you.

I'm surprised a tower dump didn't do anything. I mean wow. There were obviously multiple people in the park that night as we can see from the video of people leaving and walking the crosswalk after. Are any of those people close to the vacinity of Katherine and Bowie at the time? I wonder if unofficially anyone/some of them are POI? If they were wouldn't LE ask the public specific questions? Nothing has been said. If unofficially there are POI, I'm thankful. Maybe one day an arrest will occur. Officially nothing has been said in terms of POI. Another thing wouldn't the tower dump narrow down who was closest to the vacinity of Katie and Bowie? Then possible POI/s?
Honestly I don't think if the tower dump led to a narrowing down of POI/s there wouldn't be an arrest. So something may not have been condusive to the investigation from that standpoint?

I think you might mean the CA Gate?

My thinking is she turned right on 10th Street at Piedmont Rd, skirted the edge of the park where sidewalk meets grass vs coming through at 12th entrance and walking deep into the park.
Oh yes, I did mean CA gate. Thanks.
I think after the Rainbow crosswalk, she headed east along 10th to the park as well. I think she likely entered the park there just a ways, to let Bowie walk in the grass, maybe even just 10-15 feet into the park, and then proceeded to the area of the attack. It was late by then, so I can only assume she then intended to just head home at that point.

Oh yes, I did mean CA gate. Thanks.
I think after the Rainbow crosswalk, she headed east along 10th to the park as well. I think she likely entered the park there just a ways, to let Bowie walk in the grass, maybe even just 10-15 feet into the park, and then proceeded to the area of the attack. It was late by then, so I can only assume she then intended to just head home at that point.
So the perp it seems may have been close to the entrance instead of farther into the park. I wonder why the perp would choose this? The only reason I can think of is to get away quickly. I realize this could be any reson but I wonder if the perp happened to see Katherine and Bowie and casually knew them and Bowie was comfortable with this person and the perp took advantage of the casual knowing of the two and didn't alarm them. But IMO this would allude to something random by someone who doesn't know Katherine as a friend but saw her perhaps in the neighborhood and said pleasantries. The perp took advantage of the fact that Katie and Bowie were there. This perp didn't harm other's in the park as they were passed. So why Katie and Bowie? Because the perp doesn't like the way she looks? And didn't have an issue of looks with the other people in the park while the perp was there?

5Ws, the location is interesting, I agree. If the killer was looking for random victims, he could have staked out that location because it would be a good place to observe people entering. There is that bathroom there, so that could draw some people in. By the way, didn't we hear that the bathroom was closed/inoperable? But whether KJ was a random victim or specifically targeted, I could see a similar progression in regards to the location. The killer sees and maybe even follows KJ and Bowie, or at least observes from the trees for a bit. She approaches the CA gate. Maybe KJ had wanted to use the bathroom. The killer expects her at that point to proceed deeper in to the park. But she doesn't, she turns around to head home. So the killer knows it is now or never. I don't know, just speculating. The location has always been interesting to me. It seems risky. I am still 50/50 as to whether Katie was a random victim or if the killer knew her in some way.

5Ws, the location is interesting, I agree. If the killer was looking for random victims, he could have staked out that location because it would be a good place to observe people entering. There is that bathroom there, so that could draw some people in. By the way, didn't we hear that the bathroom was closed/inoperable? But whether KJ was a random victim or specifically targeted, I could see a similar progression in regards to the location. The killer sees and maybe even follows KJ and Bowie, or at least observes from the trees for a bit. She approaches the CA gate. Maybe KJ had wanted to use the bathroom. The killer expects her at that point to proceed deeper in to the park. But she doesn't, she turns around to head home. So the killer knows it is now or never. I don't know, just speculating. The location has always been interesting to me. It seems risky. I am still 50/50 as to whether Katie was a random victim or if the killer knew her in some way.
The restrooms are only open for part of the day. If I click on them in a Google map, it lists the hours as 6AM to 11PM.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back