GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

Can someone explain to me how they were able to get still shots of the “jogger” going in and out of the CA gate, but don’t have footage of KJ or Bowie being attacked at the gate?

Am I just missing something? Or am I confused about which gate she was killed at?

I thought they said she was “believe to have been attacked right at the entrance”. So……why don’t they have it on tape, if they have the jogger on tape? Am I just stupid?! Lol
Bowie was found approximately 50 feet inside the gate. So assuming that is where the attack commenced, it was just beyond what the CA gate camera could see. But yes, you do have the right gate. I think one thing that is important is what the camera does not show: Katie and Bowie. So we know they did not enter the park there. And I don't think the killer did either.

Last edited:
refresher..
By Alexis Stevens,
July 29, 2021
''A longtime resident of the area, Janness often walked at the park while listening to podcasts. Emma Clark had wanted her girlfriend to carry pepper spray when she walked, but Janness said she felt safe. She worked as a bartender at Campagnolo, an Italian restaurant and bar on Piedmont Avenue, and also at Whole World Improv Theatre on Spring Street.

Late Tuesday, Janness had stopped by Henry’s Midtown Tavern, where Clark was working. After Janness and Bowie walked, they planned to return to meet Clark and walk home together. But when Clark was ready to head home, Janness didn’t answer her phone. And she wasn’t at home.''

Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477, text information to 274637 or visit the Crime Stoppers website.''

Bowie was found approximately 50 feet inside the gate. So assuming that is where the attack commenced, it was just beyond what the CA gate camera could see. But yes, you do have the right gate. I think one thing that is important is what the camera does not show: Katie and Bowie. So we know they did not enter the park there. And I don't think the killer did either.
Yes, but one of the last press conferences stated that “according to witnesses, we believed she was killed right at the entrance”.

I will look for the link.

Yes, but one of the last press conferences stated that “according to witnesses, we believed she was killed right at the entrance”.

I will look for the link.
I feel that statement is up to interpretation.
Right at the entrance could simply mean much closer to the entrance than the center of the park. I’d consider the site of the murder “at the entrance” if I were describing the general location, as someone who has spent a lot of time in that park.

Comments based on a few recent posts on this thread:

1. Camera showing video/pics were on traffic light poles outside the park near the gated entrances, so while they would be able to see people entering and leaving the park's larger entrances they could not look deeply into the park. The bodies of the victim and victim's dog were far enough in the park to likely not be visible via those cameras.
To add, apparently there were issues with cameras in the park in that they didn't work. Also of interest, I don't recall LE releasing pictures or video of the victim's girlfriend entering the park.

2. The area in and around Piedmont Park is historically much safer than the area around GA Tech.

3. The carved word could be "fat", or "fatty" (no 'y', but there was a double line on 't'). The victim while not overly obese would not be considered thin either and someone thin might consider her fat.

all moo

1. Camera showing video/pics were on traffic light poles outside the park near the gated entrances, so while they would be able to see people entering and leaving the park's larger entrances they could not look deeply into the park. The bodies of the victim and victim's dog were far enough in the park to likely not be visible via those cameras.
To add, apparently there were issues with cameras in the park in that they didn't work. Also of interest, I don't recall LE releasing pictures or video of the victim's girlfriend entering the park.

2. The area in and around Piedmont Park is historically much safer than the area around GA Tech.

3. The carved word could be "fat", or "fatty" (no 'y', but there was a double line on 't'). The victim while not overly obese would not be considered thin either and someone thin might consider her fat.

all moo
Compared to the overwhelming violence wreaked on her body, ‘writing’ using the word FAT is quite an insignificant and childish choice. IMO, Katie wouldn’t have cared if someone saw her that way or even said that to her. She wasn’t out to impress anyone and would most likely have ignored it or made a joke about it. It’s actually an odd choice of words and says far more about the killer than about Katie. I still believe it was something else because what the word conveys is in direct opposition to the level of hate, passion and time he/she put into her murder. Could the killer/s’ plan have been so well thought-out about luring Katie into the park or knowing where she’d be, dealing with Bowie, possibly being aware of old or inoperative cameras, and not being seen or leaving any evidence to use such a ridiculously simple and juvenile word such as fat as his or her grand statement?

Compared to the overwhelming violence wreaked on her body, ‘writing’ using the word FAT is quite an insignificant and childish choice. IMO, Katie wouldn’t have cared if someone saw her that way or even said that to her. She wasn’t out to impress anyone and would most likely have ignored it or made a joke about it. It’s actually an odd choice of words and says far more about the killer than about Katie. I still believe it was something else because what the word conveys is in direct opposition to the level of hate, passion and time he/she put into her murder. Could the killer/s’ plan have been so well thought-out about luring Katie into the park or knowing where she’d be, dealing with Bowie, possibly being aware of old or inoperative cameras, and not being seen or leaving any evidence to use such a ridiculously simple and juvenile word such as fat as his or her grand statement?
What the killer carved or intended to carve in her body certainly says more about the killer than Katie. Its meaning is really known only to the killer (other than it tells us that the killer is a truly sick individual). That the cameras inside the park were not functional doesn't appear to have been widely known, so I think the killer just got lucky in that regard. I do think the location of the attack is relevant though in some way. Why did it occur there?

all moo
Compared to the overwhelming violence wreaked on her body, ‘writing’ using the word FAT is quite an insignificant and childish choice. IMO, Katie wouldn’t have cared if someone saw her that way or even said that to her. She wasn’t out to impress anyone and would most likely have ignored it or made a joke about it. It’s actually an odd choice of words and says far more about the killer than about Katie. I still believe it was something else because what the word conveys is in direct opposition to the level of hate and passion, and time he/she put into her murder. Could the killer/s’ plan have been so well thought-out about luring Katie into the park or knowing where she’d be, dealing with Bowie, possibly being aware of old or inoperative cameras, not being seen or leaving any evidence to use such a ridiculously simple
What the killer carved or intended to carve in her body certainly says more about the killer than Katie. Its meaning is really known only to the killer (other than it tells us that the killer is a truly sick individual). That the cameras inside the park were not functional doesn't appear to have been widely known, so I think the killer just got lucky in that regard. I do think the location of the attack is relevant though in some way. Why did it occur there?
I think the day before she left for Michigan is also relevant. I sure wish something would break in this case.

Compared to the overwhelming violence wreaked on her body, ‘writing’ using the word FAT is quite an insignificant and childish choice. IMO, Katie wouldn’t have cared if someone saw her that way or even said that to her. She wasn’t out to impress anyone and would most likely have ignored it or made a joke about it. It’s actually an odd choice of words and says far more about the killer than about Katie. I still believe it was something else because what the word conveys is in direct opposition to the level of hate and passion, and time he/she put into her murder. Could the killer/s’ plan have been so well thought-out about luring Katie into the park or knowing where she’d be, dealing with Bowie, possibly being aware of old or inoperative cameras, not being seen or leaving any evidence to use such a ridiculously simple

I think the day before she left for Michigan is also relevant. I sure wish something would break in this case.
All of this is why I still am 50/50 as to whether this was a case of a random target, or actually targeted against Katie. I start to lean one way, then think about it and lean the other way. It is just so odd. Such a horrific crime, in public, but still unsolved. I'm not blaming LE. APD requested FBI assistance immediately. But something is holding this case back.

The cameras in the park are interesting. My understanding is that it isn't that the don't work, but that they were so old and obsolete that no data could be retrieved. Which sounded odd to me. But we never heard much about them after a while. Were the cameras obvious in their location? It seems to me that the number of people that could have known they were useless would have been pretty limited. And would tend to indicate a level of planning and sophistication in the attack.

If your friend is to be believed, then that would tend to indicate the attack was from a legit stranger to KJ.

I think it's possible the killer was a stranger, and he was lying in wait for any victim. The issue I have with this theory is the carvings and excessive wounds on Katie seem to indicate rage to me, like it's personal - but - perhaps the killer had more general rage towards women or even gay women?

I remain baffled by the letters and the time it took to do that, it was clearly meaningful for the killer, and I do wonder what other cases might have had victims with this type of signature? Audrey Gleaves in Hamilton, ON Canada comes to mind.

I wonder about the egress route for the killer?

I wonder if he killed Bowie last, and he left him on the "road" as Emma called it, I assumed she meant the trail. Bowie would have been in full sight of the jogger when he went past, I presume?

What's interesting is that I'm not aware of LE releasing video of the EC (or the witness near EC when she called 911) entering or leaving the park, though Emma would have very likely have been visible.
IMO, there is no reason for LE to release video of EC or the other witness coming out of that entrance. The public seeing that would likely not benefit the investigation in any way. That's just my personal thought.

IMO, there is no reason for LE to release video of EC or the other witness coming out of that entrance. The public seeing that would likely not benefit the investigation in any way. That's just my personal thought.
I agree. Certainly that camera should have caught EC arriving and running out. But it wouldn't be helpful to the investigation to release it and as a matter of protecting EC's privacy in a very emotional moment, LE has chosen to not release that video.
I think it's possible the killer was a stranger, and he was lying in wait for any victim. The issue I have with this theory is the carvings and excessive wounds on Katie seem to indicate rage to me, like it's personal - but - perhaps the killer had more general rage towards women or even gay women?

I remain baffled by the letters and the time it took to do that, it was clearly meaningful for the killer, and I do wonder what other cases might have had victims with this type of signature? Audrey Gleaves in Hamilton, ON Canada comes to mind.

I wonder about the egress route for the killer?

I wonder if he killed Bowie last, and he left him on the "road" as Emma called it, I assumed she meant the trail. Bowie would have been in full sight of the jogger when he went past, I presume?
I think we have all just assumed Bowie had to have disabled, if not killed, first. Pit bulls are loving dogs but very protective and he probably would have tried to defend Katie. Where exactly his body was isn't totally clear. It was apparently about 50 feet inside the gate. We have heard "in the road" etc. So that could mean actually in roadway or on the path on either side of the roadway. I would really like to know what the jogger guy saw when he entered and then came right back out. We know that police did talk to him, apparently more than once. What he saw would be important to determining timing of the attack.

If it was random, why pick someone with a dog? Wouldn’t it have been easier for them to just attack a person rather than a dog and a person. It seems like that would take more time to actually get caught in the act.
Nobody heard screams? I couldn’t imagine someone not yelling out at all even during the attack on the dog or attack on her. Was she able to defend herself maybe to get some of perpetrators DNA under her nails? I hope so.
Was this woman married? Did she have a boyfriend? Has this happened before in this area? Did she frequent this park to walk her dog?

If it was random, why pick someone with a dog? Wouldn’t it have been easier for them to just attack a person rather than a dog and a person. It seems like that would take more time to actually get caught in the act.
Nobody heard screams? I couldn’t imagine someone not yelling out at all even during the attack on the dog or attack on her. Was she able to defend herself maybe to get some of perpetrators DNA under her nails? I hope so.
Was this woman married? Did she have a boyfriend? Has this happened before in this area? Did she frequent this park to walk her dog?
Intutive26, much or all of what you’re wondering can be answered if you are able to go back to the beginning posts. And I believe you and the others who have said that a random killer out to target anyone or any woman would not choose an individual with a dog are correct. Unless Katie was the target and the killer/s took Bowie into consideration which I think was the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back