GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I've been perusing the internet to find out anything on Lauren and I think I have found something. I think she was part of a Google group called DirtyBriefs and she has numerous entries that you all might want to read. It's nothing earth shattering or anything but just some postings of hers that are lingering in cyberspace. Here's the link:

groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=UgN1ARkAAAD_s-Uca-yOwio5YnOWx1vcFEmssiLmwyaEWxy9LPEfEQ

Actually, I must warn you that some of these postings are a bit on the risque side. If you feel that this is inappropriate PLEASE let me know! I do not want to offend anyone. Also, one of the members is Joe K. Is this the same person that McDaniel mentioned in his interview??

did they take it down? the link doesnt work for me.

Very frustrating indeed. I understand not showing all of your cards, but I feel as though Bibb County citizens need to know what we are up against - especially those who live downtown and around the 3 separate colleges we have here in Macon. Yes, Macon is crime ridden, but we don't deal with this type of crime.

You sound quite educated therefore I am sure you are logical. There is absolutely no reason to believe this is a serial killer. This was a one time occurance; this is not the Night Stalker running about targeting random folks in a half hazard manner a dozen times or more.

Was this crime incredibly sociopathic in nature? Well yes of course! But living in Macon I assume you realize there are sociopaths in these here parts. Worry about the typical Maconga thugs as they are far more of a concern.

Yeah, I UPDATED my message to say the link does not work now. It says "As of 07/01/2011 Google profiles have been disabled." I'm not sure why it worked before. Sorry!

I read the posts before it was taken down...well read 90% of them and then I got the error message too. None were worthy of a screen capture. The link is not only down, the usergroup is GONE.

Just arrogant lawyers (with titles and full contact info) talking about golf and herpes and condoms and other sexual topics on google while bragging about their titles and advertising their law firms. Guess they were thinking future employers or clients would find the herpes and condom jokes a great sign of professional accomplishment so they wanted to make sure their full name was attached. :woohoo:

Great find Darmela! One might think Websleuths is monitored and the FBI has a direct link into the Google IT department. LOL. Only half kidding there.

I read the posts before it was taken down...well read 90% of them and then I got the error message too. None were worthy of a screen capture. The link is not only down, the usergroup is GONE.

Just arrogant lawyers (with titles and full contact info) talking about golf and herpes and condoms and other sexual topics on google while bragging about their titles and advertising their law firms. Guess they were thinking future employers or clients would find the herpes and condom jokes a great sign of professional accomplishment so they wanted to make sure their full name was attached. :woohoo:

Great find Darmela! One might think Websleuths is monitored and the FBI has a direct link into the Google IT department. LOL. Only half kidding there.

I wonder if they had the misconception that they were on a private site. Well, maybe not since they are advertising their Law Firms and phone numbers unless they were just bragging to each other.

Didn't someone say Lauren had a boyfriend who was away on a trip to Cal. or somewhere. I'm surprised the media hasn't mentioned him or her parents. Since she was moving to Atlanta does that mean they had broken up?

http://www.ajc.com/news/several-persons-of-interest-1001906.html
By Alexis Stevens

Several persons of interest in law student's death

Macon police have several persons of interest in the slaying of popular law student, but have not yet linked anyone to the crime.

NOTE: no one named in the above article.

I hadn't read this thread. My sincere and deepest sympathy to Lauren's family and friends :(

http://www.ajc.com/news/several-persons-of-interest-1001906.html
By Alexis Stevens

Several persons of interest in law student's death

NOTE: no one named in the above article.

I hadn't read this thread. My sincere and deepest sympathy to Lauren's family and friends :(

Hi, Kat. LE identified Stephen McD as a POI last week. So far, he's the only one named.

McDaniel is one of several people of interest in the murder investigation, [Macon Police Chief] Burns said...

Hi, Kat. LE identified Stephen McD as a POI last week. So far, he's the only one named.

True. However they have always said there are "many persons of interest" and McDaniels has been in the Bibb County Jail for 6 days (not a nice place for a skinny 150 lb whi... boy) with NO mention that he is a suspect. Persons of interest include "every new name that comes up" according to todays police press conference!

They have supposedly removed McDaniels bathtub, and obviously searched his apartment many many times over.

Who filed the burglary charges? I say they charge or RELEASE McDaniel. If they have nothing on McDaniel by now they need to do the right thing and release him WITH an apology and pursue these "burglary" charges with a $500 bond!

McDaniel is obviously not guilty of this murder (and if he is, which he likely isn't, they can't prove it despite their very very best attempts) therefore they need to stop torturing him now. Find another pawn to hold while they placate the populace and "find the real killer" but let McDaniel go home.

It is stunning that a horrible crime like this has not made national news. I know Casey Anthony has dominated of late, but good grief, there are so many terrible crimes that are happening now and LE agencies that need help. I hope this LEA can figure out what they have here and narrow down their suspect pool soon. How horrible for this family, this town, and all of her friends.

The part about a "machete collection". In all fairness if the guy really did wear chain mail then having swords makes sense. Wouldn't need chain mail without swords! And many people keep swords or machetes (I myself have owned some swords for decoration, I have known plenty of others that do as well).

I have to agree that some of his weirdness is perhaps being blown out of proportion. Is wearing chain mail really any weirder than dressing up in a cowboy costume, which many non-cowhands do these days as a fantasy? Then there are the wannabe gangsters, pretend pimps, "vampires" and on down the line. There's a lot of people who wear fantasy type stuff all of the time.

Okay this may be a totally crazy theory but....

Step back beyond the victim and look at the big picture. This story is obviously being hushed. The FBI called to "volunteer" their services the day the torso was discovered. This happened VERY close to the university, Lauren could see the clocktower from her front door. The Mercer police were first on the scene. She was living in the Barrister Apartments that specifically served Mercer Law Students.

Let's just imagine for a moment. Okay you are a sociopath with an incredibly strong stomach and you very very angry with an institution, perhaps an institution like well....a University. If you can't pointpoint your rage on ONE individual, maybe it was more than one, or maybe you just hate the whole place for various reasons...etc...

If you wanted to hurt an institution and do it well...would the incredibly gruesome unsolved killings of pretty co-eds do the job? Would it cause scandal and panic and drop enrollment and create an era of terror that Mercer would never forget or maybe even live down?

Like I said a crazy theory, but whomever did this obviously thinks differently than the rest of us and there is good reason to think they may have a very high IQ. Maybe it was never about Lauren Giddings.

Not a bad theory.

But I wonder if this is going to turn out to be more simple than that. It's rumored that the only named POI has a machete collection. That same person seems a bit unstable and maybe not so socially adept. Lauren seemed to be outgoing and very social. Maybe he fantasized about her. Since her key seemed to be in a known place (vase near door), maybe he entered her apartment when she was gone, fueled his fantasies with looking through her belongings.

He knew she was moving to Atlanta in a week, was he upset about that? Maybe she caught him in her apartment or he hid there waiting for her to come home. Whatever happened, he ended up killing her. Now he has to get rid of her body. I'm curious about SM. Does he have many friends, girlfriend? What are his hobbies? No friends or family have spoke out in his defense? Still very much on the fence concerning SM, he certainly could be the murderer, it would make sense in terms of opportunity.

In the MPD PC video today a few things of note:

-They have interviewed a dozen people by now. New names are popping up. They are being interviewed and alibi's checked.
- Do you feel like this is someone who knew Lauren? Not going to say right now.
-Quite a bit of evidence has been sent to the lab, waiting for results. We'll see who it matches up with.
-David Van Diver (sp?) her boyfriend, is he a person of interest, has he been excluded? He answers he has been interviewed. Reporter again asks if DVD is a POI at this point. Again, he states DVD has been interviewed, won't confirm or deny his status.
-Storm-sewer drains within a 7-10 block radius are now being searched. The radious was expanded yesterday from 5 blocks, no evidence was located in that search.
-LE has video and receipts that indicate the last known time alive, will not divulge details on the time.
-Any idea on motive? Not going to say.

You sound quite educated therefore I am sure you are logical. There is absolutely no reason to believe this is a serial killer. This was a one time occurance; this is not the Night Stalker running about targeting random folks in a half hazard manner a dozen times or more.

I do like to consider myself logical, and I certainly hope your theory proves to be true for the sake of our town and it's institutions. However, I'm erring on the side of caution until we are given more details. My initial reaction is to agree with you regarding the possibility of serial activity. I just have many nagging questions.

One bit of information I'd like to have cleared up is did the officer who took the original MP report actually walk around the building to investigate the whole area? There is no mention of it in the MP report, http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/wmaz/docs/giddingsreport1.pdf
Nor - to my knowledge - has it been reported that any of her friends walked around the complex. All information we've been given has focused on the interior of her apt. And where her car was parked. Is the place where her car was located anywhere near the area of the complex where her remains were found? I don't see how the odor could have been overlooked by anyone in that area, but I haven't heard of any other people who specifically looked in that area.

-Quite a bit of evidence has been sent to the lab, waiting for results. We'll see who it matches up with.

The police stated today they have no other crime scenes. If they had victim dna blood tainted machetes, or contaminated bathtub drains of persons of interest....they would have a suspect. If the police are acting they deserve an academy award, this isn't a game they did everything they could and they have nothing. The DA saying multiple times the investigators "worked really hard" says it all, yes they did.

This case is exceptional. The FBI was on the scene the FIRST DAY. The victim was a very high value target. It appears the killer lived very close by or was monitoring close by (I wouldn't rule out remote wireless cameras). Seven days later and no suspects to an over the top bloody crime scene which can't be found, and an incredibly morbid set of clues that lead no where.

Persons of interest include "every new name that is mentioned" according to today's police press release.

Honestly the whole thing is nearly surreal. Whomever did this is an evil genius. I do not mean that lightly, but literally.

While it's probably a human who moved to torso to where it was found, I don't think a dog can totally be ruled out (of moving the torso, not killing the victim). Sometimes, it's amazing how much weight animals are capable of moving.

[video=youtube;pvCe9oeC65k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvCe9oeC65k&NR=1[/video]

I think it's possible a dog could've smelled the torso and dragged it out of a nearby trash can or dumpster.

While it's probably a human who moved to torso to where it was found, I don't think a dog can totally be ruled out (of moving the torso, not killing the victim). Sometimes, it's amazing how much weight animals are capable of moving.

YouTube - ‪Leopard and a Zebra‬‏

I think it's possible a dog could've smelled the torso and dragged it out of a nearby trash can or dumpster.

wouldnt there have been teeth/bite marks? did the police mention that? or is that something they would keep under wraps?

I do like to consider myself logical, and I certainly hope your theory proves to be true for the sake of our town and it's institutions.

One bit of information I'd like to have cleared up is did the officer who took the original MP report actually walk around the building to investigate the whole area? There is no mention of it in the MP report.

Two things...first of all the officer who wrote the report refers to the "victim", not the suspected "missing person". Secondly they also say "allot" and "Lab-top".

Gosh...do you think if they went to the apartment and then walked the grounds and didn't find anything they MIGHT have not added that to their report? Maybe it seemed like allot of pointless information to write down seeing as how they didn't have a Lab-top to type the report out on! Now on the otherhand do I believe McDaniel when he said he and 2 friends went into the apartment and then walked around the grounds looking for dropped items or anything out of the ordinary? YES! Would they have noticed the putrid odor of a corpse that was apparently sooooo obvious the next morning? Yes, I do believe they would have!

Secondly, hate to be harsh but the town is Macon. A serial killer is what...gonna lower property prices or up crime significantly? Unless of course "town" is a euphanism for the tiny secluded Mercer park "nice" area.

But you already know all of this!

Hi all. I've been perusing the internet to find out anything on Lauren and I think I have found something. I think she was part of a Google group called TheDirtyBriefs and she has numerous entries that you all might want to read. It's nothing earth shattering or anything but just some postings of hers that are lingering in cyberspace. Here's the link:

groups.google.com/groups/search?scoring=d&filter=0&enc_author=UgN1ARkAAAD_s-Uca-yOwio5YnOWx1vcFEmssiLmwyaEWxy9LPEfEQ

Actually, I must warn you that some of these postings are a bit on the risque side. If you feel that this is inappropriate PLEASE let me know! I do not want to offend anyone. Also, one of the members is Joe K. Is this the same person that McDaniel mentioned in his interview??

FYI: The initial link I had pulled up the entire postings of all the group. That has since been disabled. The link above lists Lauren's postings but does not allow you to pull up any further detail. Oh well. That's as good as it gets for now!

Looks like Lauren posted on this site as well -
http://atlantahash.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2409&p=7215

I agree with SiberianSleuth on that point, I think it was most likely personal.

If the killer is in fact intelligent and careful, then the torso was an intentional message. If they had put the torso in a dumpster this would have probably turned into an unsolved missing persons case.

If the killer is lucid and careful I am feeling a lot of hate in the manner of body disposal and what it implies directly and indirectly. If they did indeed find a part or two in local trash cans, and the torso near her door...what is the message? What is expected from neighbors and police? Look through the landfill, look through TRASH, look out for the odd smells of foul, putrid flesh. That is what is left of her and everyone has to focus on that fact, she was not just killed or mutilated, she was humiliated in death and reduced to well...

That message seems pretty blatant in my mind. Could it just be a weird kink added on to a perverted crime? Well yes it could, but how often have we EVER heard about that happening to a "random victim" intentionally?

I don't see hate in the manner of disposal, I see a frantic attempt to rid oneself of evidence one otherwise had hoped to keep. More consistent with hate would be some gruesome display of the torso with the limbs arranged in a spiteful, grotesque manner.
Her torso was dumped on the side of the building only after the search began, if you wanted to send a message why wait so many days after she was least heard from and risk being caught dumping a body in the middle of a search? Think of all the "message" crimes from the past, bodies displayed, arranged, in plain view for some innocent neighbor to come across. And if the unsub is so fixated on taunting police, why hasn't he done the same thing with the limbs?

If you are so motivated to taunt the police that you are willing to risk your life and freedom just to dump the body while they search the property, why waste the chance to leave a macabre trail of breadcrumbs with the rest of her for the police to find? That would extend the game almost indefinitely. I have heard no confirmed reports of frozen body parts in trash cans, but I received a similarly unconfirmed tip by someone on my website who claims to have connections to LE that other bodies were discovered:

"Sent an anonymous question earlier applauding your efforts, but in my search for more answers I found my way to web sleuths, and saw you posted there also. I see a lot of curious questions, and am having a hell of a time registering on that site, so I was wondering if you would feel like emailing me. I live in Macon close to the scene and my aunt and uncle live next door. I have a lot of good info (facts) and a fair bit of semi-confirmed info (from detectives and cops on the scene), that I would love to share with that community and see their's and your feedback. I'm afraid Giddings was one of several bodies found."

I would be shocked if the police found other bodies and aren't reporting that. I'm not sure they can even keep that secret? But then again I've heard some less than stellar reviews of Georgia LE [not passing judgement, I have no firsthand experience with them] so who knows.

Back to what I was saying--frozen body parts in trash cans, but a torso dumped right there on the grounds of the complex? If this person wanted to play a game with the public and police, why not place the body parts in places that would be truly shocking, traumatizing? When killers want to make a statement, they make a statement. Think of the Gainesville "Ripper" Danny Rollings, he staged one of his crime scenes so that when police walked in they saw the decapitated head of the victim staring down and her beheaded body. He moved furniture around to make the scene just so.
Lauren's killer had plenty of time to do all kinds of elaborate things to send a message to the cops, no one came looking for her for days. Rollings staged that scene in the midst of a murder spree that had the cops actively patrolling for the killer.
This unsub had time, he had opportunity, and what he did with it doesn't look to me like a game so much as it does a consequence of being somewhat frantic.

As for personal or not, it's not unusual for cannibalistic crimes to be perpetrated by someone with a fixation of some sort on the victim. But whoever it was, I don't think he was extremely close to her because no attempt was made to conceal her identity. The dismemberment in no way concealed her identity because she was dumped proverbially on her front lawn and everyone knows about DNA comparisons by now so the killer knew she would be identified.
Doesn't appear to me he worried he would be linked to her because he played no major role in her life, unlike those who dismember their spouses and hide the remains because they would be suspect #1 if their spouse were found murdered.

I'm still wondering about McDaniel, he's one of 2 POI's, I'm dying to know who the other POI is and what they did to be among the ranks of McDaniel who was breaking into the apartments to steal personal items. That's pretty incriminating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther