GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally getting settled in to catch up. When I left this morning, the questioning about the blue glove was just starting. So, it was the PI who found the glove? Going to read the transcript now.

1. Giddings Case: Blue Gloves

Video of Court Proceedings regarding the finding of the Gloves. Buford questions Det. Patterson:

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1130474389001&odyssey=mod|tvideo|endslate

2. Giddings Case: Master Keys

Video of Court Proceedings regarding the Master Keys. Defense Buford questions Det. Patterson.

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/11304884...SE-Master-Key

3. Giddings Case: McDaniels DNA Not Found on Hacksaw

Video of Court Proceedings regarding DNA on Hacksaw. Defense Buford questions Det. Patterson.

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/11305109...und-on-Hacksaw

4. Giddings Case: McDaniel's Prior Statements

Det. Patterson details McDaniel's prior statements to SM's former roomate.

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/1130442975001/0/McDaniels-Prior-Statements

5. Giddings Case: The Hacksaw and Packaging

Det. Patterson details information about the hacksaw and packaging

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/1130479529001/0/GIDDINGS-CASE-The-Hacksaw-and-packaging-

6. Giddings Case: McDaniel questioned at Detective Bureau

Det. Patterson details information about SM being questioned voluntarily for 2-3 hours the first time, and more than 2-3 hours the second time, at least 8 or 9 hours. Not all of SM's comments were videotaped at the station.

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/1130472265001/0/GIDDINGS-CASE-McDaniel-questioned-at-detective-bureau

7. Judge Finds Probable Cause to Charge McDaniel

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/1130411...Judge-Finds-Probable-Cause-to-Charge-McDaniel

Bringing forward-

How can they prove that the gloves were really there when the police investigated the laundry room? So much time has elapsed since the initial investigation and the PI being hired, those could have been put there at any time.

Baez didn't have proof of anything either...just babbled like a brook on anything he felt like might create doubt. Of course this is physical evidence but who wants it now? Can't use it for forensics, it's contaminated. What to do with that now? Hold it to create doubt?

How can they prove that the gloves were really there when the police investigated the laundry room? So much time has elapsed since the initial investigation and the PI being hired, those could have been put there at any time.

I agree with you but the tub with scratches was there the whole time as were the SOL posts so it's possible the gloves were too. We don't know at this point if the gloves are evidence. Hopefully the PI photographed and collected them properly. Would Buford have the gloves tested at an independent lab or is he required to turn them over to LE first?

I had hoped for more evidence to come out at this hearing. I'm still standing on the guilty side of the fence, but I'd like more evidence so I don't have to climb back up there.

Baez didn't have proof of anything either...just babbled like a brook on anything he felt like might create doubt. Of course this is physical evidence but who wants it now? Can't use it for forensics, it's contaminated. What to do with that now? Hold it to create doubt?

I think LE has to test it. They can get the PI's DNA.

This is a very interesting article, relevant to the potential issue at hand in this case, and many others.

It is titled "The Authentication of Social Media Postings".

I found it on another thread, and it seemed relevant for this one also.

In terms of the evidentiary implications arising from this new forum for communications, the problems and the solutions are a mix of the old and the new. Traditional evidentiary principles provide a starting place for analysis. Preliminary questions of admissibility turn, for the most part, on traditional analysis, based on familiar frameworks for considering authenticity, the best-evidence rule, hearsay, hearsay exceptions, party admissions, co-conspirator relationships and statements, non-hearsay proffers, and more. However, some factors specific to social media networking can complicate the application of those traditional concepts, and we must be prepared to deal with these complications.​

Differences peculiar to social media posting evidence (and some other computer-generated evidence) vary from simple to quite complex. For example, handwriting analysis will not avail either the proponent or the opposing party on the matter of the attribution of a social media posted “writing” as it might for a traditional writing. The anonymity afforded by chat rooms and multiple users of a password further complicate the matter of attribution in ways not contemplated in traditional “writing” inquiries. These kinds of variables are why efforts to admit social media evidence are often met with a sense of “judicial skepticism” about reliability, similar to the concerns that arose when other kinds of computerized evidence began to regularly appear in courtrooms in the mid-1990s. Gregory P. Joseph, 5-Four, Federal Rules of Evidence Manual II (2010).

http://apps.americanbar.org/litigat...icles/051711-authentication-social-media.html

Thanks for bumping the links, Knox. I'd say this turned out as we expected. We learned a few new details, but no bombshells, and by far, not everything. Good deal.

Pertaining to the blue gloves.. I believe it is ludicrous to even allude that they're possibly somehow involved.. I certainly do not know what MPD's procedure is but I am quite certain with both the GBI/FBI's involvement and full use of their testing labs as well as techs that they would have been the more than appropriate, unbiased vein to go through if one truly believed them to have possible involvement and hold any evidentiary value..

But for Lauren to have gone missing now over 2 months ago and for this PI to be hired and mosey on over to Barrister Hall apts this past week really thinking there would be evidence "of any value" for him snap, bag, and tag it just in time for the commitment hearing is truly NOTHING MORE THAN A DEFENSE ATTYS UNDERHANDED TACTICS THAT ARE USED WAY TOO FREQUENTLY THESE DAYS IMO!!!!

Buford knew good and damn well..I mean this man is no dummy, nor is one who just isn't ripe yet..nothing of the sort this man is extremely experienced and thoroughly versed in the law and how as a defense atty you "work that law" to work in your defendant's favor.. He knew perfectly well in sending this PI in just this past weeks time that..
A) He most likely would find nothing at all and if he did stumble upon some missed evidence more than likely it would work against his client's best interest..and
B) That "whatever" item of "evidence" this PI was to stumble across{wink wink} that it would never see the light of day of not only a testing lab, but never had an ounce of intention to ever be introduced in court as a legit piece of evidence in his case proving his client was not the murderer..

Never was this the plan.. The plan was for it to be used just exactly the way it was used.. He got to throw it out there into the wind..most importantly that wind was into the public's knowledge..And here we are discussing it and people across the nation many thinking uh oh! the defense found evidence pointing AWAY FROM STEPHEN!!! that sticks with ppl.. the court of opinion I used to not think meant a hill of beans.. but it does certainly seem these days with media saturation that just as we see cases do play out in the public's opinion.. and well some of those ppl end up on juries..

IMO we'll likely never hear peep one else about the "elusive bloodied blue glove found right by where police found the bloody hacksaw 8 weeks prior".. but there will be plenty of ppl who will hang onto it for dear life as if it does somehow in anyway vindicate Stephen...pppplllllluuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzeee!!!!

Buford's purpose was served today with his throwing out the blue glove.. its game on for the defense and their already throwing the chit at the wall to see what will stick or just to further muddy up the waters.. Cause as we know the dirtier and muddier those waters are their filthy, dirty defendant can easily slither thru unnoticed with the truth being murked up for all the dirt and filth and it never becomes clear..

August 26, 2011

More Details Revealed in Giddings Murder Case
A judge ruled at about 10:30 a.m. Friday that there was enough probable cause for the case against McDaniel and that the case would be bound over to Bibb County Superior Court.
Slideshow

Video: UNCUT Commitment Hearing

Hearing
Highlights

Video: Blue Gloves
Video: McDaniel's Prior Statements
Video: McDaniel's DNA Not on Hacksaw
Video: Hacksaw and Packaging
Video: Judge Finds Probable Cause
Video: Master Keys
Video: McDaniel Cooperative at Detective Bureau

Lauren Giddings Family Encouraged by Ruling

"Pink was one of Lauren's favorite colors, and she actually had a tradition at one of the law firms where she worked where they wore pink on Wednesday, and if you wore pink on Wednesday you got to have cake for dessert," Giddings' cousin Kathy Mann said.

August 27, 2011

More Evidence in McDaniel Murder Case Revealed
"The judge called it like he saw it, you know he's a very fine judge, he listened carefully to the evidence, certainly we had a different view than the D.A., but I certainly respect the court," says Attorney Floyd Buford.

Case Heads to Grand Jury
It took Judge Shurling a little more than an hour to hear arguments from both sides before reaching his decision.
Only one person took the stand at Friday's hearing, lead detective in the Giddings' murder, David Patterson.

Cadaver dogs, "perfect murder" discussion among evidence at hearing
The next step in the legal process is for the case to be presented to grand jurors who will decide if there’s enough evidence for an indictment.

Judge Finds Probable Cause
Video highlights and article

At one point in the hearing Buford asked Patterson if he was aware of a pair of blue rubber gloves with blood stains in the laundry room.
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...McDaniel-Murder-Case-Revealed--128492613.html

Above BBM.. Sorry if already mentioned been off reading alll the latest articles but this above quote caught my attention.. I know several of us were discussing not knowing what the gloves were made of.. Here its telling us blue rubber gloves..

BRB..

And take a look at investigators gloves..yea, they just happen to be blue rubber gloves..wow this PI is as sharp as a tac..
18Wn1e.SlMa.71.jpg

** sorry for all the loopy errors in my post..:crazy:

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-news...-to-grand-jury

Above BBM.. Sorry if already mentioned been off reading alll the latest articles but this above quote caught my attention.. I know several of us were discussing not knowing what the gloves were made of.. Here its telling us blue rubber gloves..

BRB..

And take a look at investigators gloves..yea, they just happen to be blue rubber gloves..wow this PI is as sharp as a tac..
18Wn1e.SlMa.71.jpg

** sorry for all the loopy errors in my post..:crazy:

I just listened again to the the hearing video on the gloves (see link above). Buford says "Blue Gloves". He never says what type of material they are made of, so what the heck?

Smooth, linky no worky?

If I'm not supposed to talk about this here, please delete, but Wasn't SOL quoted in another forum as saying he would stare blankly (among other things)........Also.....I wonder if he's trying to gain sympathy? I wondered after seeing him today entering and then leaving the court, that he looked awful awful frail and even depressed somewhat when you see Buford talking to him just prior to leaving court. It even crossed my mind he might commit suicide, is he trying to starve himself to death? I think in earlier threads it was discussed about how he cannot let his mother/parents down by admitting guilt but is that behavior of ignoring his parents who are there for him, a sign of guilt or shame? Especially if he's guilty, if not, he would acknowledge them?

MCD is being held in protective custody to protect himself from things such as a suicide attempt. I read also that he is being checked on by medical staff of the jail, if there was any inkling that he is about to become seriously ill b/c of starvation then they would strap him down and feed him intravenously.

I just listened again to the the hearing video on the gloves (see link above). Buford says "Blue Gloves". He never says what type of material they are made of, so what the heck?

Smooth, linky no worky?

I just looked, again, at the story at the link Smoothop referenced and am not seeing any reference to rubber gloves -- but I know it WAS there, because I had noticed that "different" detail, too, when I first read it. Must have been edited since -- perhaps that was just an error.

eta: actually, the link in Smooth's post isn't working for me, but if I go back up a few posts to where I orginally posted the link, that link works -- but no rubber gloves there anymore, I think

Wait, no, that's not the deal. What the deal is, is Smooth referenced the wrong link. The rubber gloves mention is at the story here:

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...McDaniel-Murder-Case-Revealed--128492613.html

Quote:
"At one point in the hearing Buford asked Patterson if he was aware of a pair of blue rubber gloves with blood stains in the laundry room. Buford says the defense's investigator found them this week. Patterson said he was not aware of the gloves."

Still, that could be a reporter's mistake -- unless maybe it's a detail they clarified later...?

Patterson went on to say that inside McDaniel’s apartment police also found a master key that unlocked every door in the complex, along with a key to Giddings’ apartment and packaging for a hacksaw. A hacksaw with Giddings’ DNA on it was retrieved from a locked closet in the complex’s laundry room. Police opened the closet using the master key found in McDaniel’s residence, Patterson said.
http://www.macon.com/2011/08/27/1679493/judge-rules-that-case-against.html#ixzz1WCu623y8

By the way Smooth, you were right in the way you interpreted this language in the warrant
icon7.gif

I guess they could be blue rubber gloves, but blue "work gloves" (cloth or leather) make more sense in terms of something that would be used in landscaping or handyman work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mishelita9306