GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think it was a HORRIBLE idea on the MCD's family part to point the finger at DD, bc now that automatically narrows the investigation down to 2 people for the most part...MCD and DD. LE is saying pretty much that DD has a rock solid alibi and its so much evidence leaning toward MCD. That means DD had to somehow break in 2 apts. within 15 feet of each other. We now know that MCD missed 2 prep classes during this 4 day window, and he wasn't employed and by his own admission he basically never left his apt unless it was for school(which he had no classes at this time). This basically leaves a very short period of time for someone like DD to frame MCD.

When they've got dismembered human remains, and cadaver dogs alerting in 3 separate apartments (the only 3 they entered), and a master key found in one of those apartments that opens the door to every other apartment and room in the building, why would they not take the dogs into every apartment??

It would be meaningful to me to know that the dogs went into one of the other apartments and didn't alert, as a control. I don't have a search timeline handy, but if the dogs came through after the initial search, maybe the detectives tracked something in.

I'm not schooled in psychology, that's for sure.
So, it's hard for me to elaborate on what I see in SM, or "feel" is happening.
From reading some brief explanation of various terms/disorders,
it's definitely some sort of (or combination of) antisocial, schizo, something,
with a superiority complex masking his deeper issues, which IMO are the
result of a very unhealthy childhood and family environment.
I don't think he's still trying to win some game at this point.
I think whatever inner struggles he's battled over the years escalated to a breaking point.
I think that's why everything we've seen and heard from him since "Body?"
has been irrational and child-like. That outer shell of superiority cracked.
I think you're looking at the disturbed child this shell was hiding
and he's trying to maintain himself the only way he knows how.

I wish I could really put into words my take on SM.
I just don't have the proper vocabulary and skills to go there :D
SS, Smooth reminded us just one page ago that SM's mother reported the smiling and laughing that goes on when the family visits him. That's very different from his "oh, I have gone off my nut" demeanor in public, and shows me his duplicity. That's why I'm convinced he's acting a blue streak.

I don't doubt that he's depressed: He got caught.

Furthermore, his self-image must be shattered - he thought he was a criminal genius. Now he finds he's a blabbermouth in neon orange eating prison food. That alone would make him lose weight.

Thanks to both Sandstorm and SuperSleuth. I think it may very well be likely as you two have explained it to be in terms of why the blood on the hacksaw, for instance.. I can see it definitely being a part of his buying his own bs, believing his own hype!! Becoming that arrogant, take no prisoners type of stance and that he was always 2 steps ahead of LE.. I hope like hell thats the case because that means his arrogance and overconfidence allowed for some major foul ups to his overall plan..thus making it that much more sure to procure a successful conviction on the murder charge..

My hinky meter is still perked and standing at attention in waiting out the next piece of the puzzle that comes to light.. I pray that next piece be something that makes us even more certain that it his arrogant bravado that will be the death of him.. :praying:

Regarding oldercitizen's post about there being sufficient amount of available time for him to have slipped the blue glove into the locked storage area at somepoint AFTER LE having made their sweep in photographing and collecting evidence throughout the complex... But BEFORE he was arrested approx. 5:00am of July 1st for the felony burglary charge..

IMO that open window of time would have been at minimum several hours for him to have successfully done something as totally inconspicuous as this task..

OK, here I go -- sigh -- I won't be able to sleep if I don't post this.

I know most of you seem to feel that SM's court posture, demeanor, etc. is all part of an act, part of the "master plan" as outlined in one of his now-in-the-media posts. But I'm not so sure. For someone who 'most everyone here said is a terrible actor, commenting on his June 30 interview, he is doing a mighty good job of it, if it is an act.

This is a guilty or not thing. He looks to me like someone in the grip of a true, deep clinical depression. The man has lost 17 pounds. It's hard (maybe not impossible, but hard) to fake that vacant, I'm-not-here look throughout a proceeding as important to one's future as that one today was for him. I'd like to hear what PsychoMom thinks about it.

Yeah, I know that's what he said he'd do, in the hypothetical kill-and-then-go-blank scenario he posted. But he may really be in that dark place now.

No disrespect is intended here. I, personally, don't think it matters if
SM is in a clinically depressed dark place now, or before the crime, or during the crime. Lauren is dead at the hand of another. LE believes they have their man. The evidence we know about does point, IMO, toward SM being their man. LE knows a LOT more than we do. SM's lawyer knows a LOT more than we do. I have experienced a clinical depression myself. It is not fun. If SM was fine and dandy enough to post on other forums (in other words interact with other people even in cyberspace) then he probably was not clinically depressed. From what I experienced, interaction with anyone on any level was pretty damn near impossible. Being as active a video interviewee as he was, I don't see depression there. My opinion is he was in his element during the first part of his interview. True, he is now accused of murder, in jail, and truly alone. If he is showing signs of depression now, it is due to the murder charge, IMO. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Macon LE is not about to risk a civil rights lawsuit for violating SM's civil rights by falsely accusing him of murder when they evidence THEY know about indicates someone else is the perp. And also, if it DOES come to pass that SM is not guilty, then I will personally be one of the first ones to come on this forum and acknowledge that I was wrong. I realize that we on WS have differing opinions based on how we interpret what we read or see. Everyone is entitled to their own. I do have faith in LE. This is a high-profile case. LE is being very careful with SM. I have read information to make me belive SM's attorney is highly competent. If SM continues to trial, he will have his day in court and a jury of his peers will judge him. Whether SM is clinically depressed now should have no bearing on this case. My opinion is he can roll up until he is in a fetal position and still go to trial if the evidence continues to point toward him, in LE's view, as having killed Lauren.

She’s as nice as can be. I mean, very personable. Very much a people person. ... We don’t know where she is. ... The only thing we can think is that maybe she went out running and someone snatched her. ... We went over (to her apartment), one of her friends had a key. We went inside and tried to see if there was anything amiss, but, I mean, she had a door (brace) that was sitting right by it, so there was no sign that anyone broke in. I mean, the door was locked when everyone got here. I mean, we, we just don’t know where she is. ... I don’t know anyone that would want to hurt her. She was as nice a person as there is. ... (Losing breath, as if about to hyperventilate, near sobbing, answering a question about what is on his mind.) Why would anyone do this? ... (On verge of tears and then crying.) ... If I had heard something, maybe I could have helped.
Glenda McDaniel says her son’s June 30 news interview was an act of kindness.
It seems to me that McD has went from excessive verbal vomitus to deadpan silence. If you go back and look at his earliest court appearances on video, he showed no emotion or real interest in what was going on around him then. Did not smile and nod at his parents, nothing.

Granted, in this latest appearance he does seem catatonic, reminds me of a turtle sitting there in the courtroom. His shoulders all slumped and head jutting forward. I haven't made up my mind if it's an act and he is following the script he wrote in the post on OPChan, or if he simply realizes his goose is cooked and is looking at either death or life in prison. Not exactly a rosy picture either way.

Some have theorized McD fantasized a lot, wanted to gain and exert control over others, felt he was smarter, better and more intelligent than those he interacted with. I think LE has proved him wrong, not much to fantasize about when you're in isolation with no stimuli other than a jail approved book.

Question on which came first:
McD allowed dogs into his apartment before OR after LG's body was discovered?
I think it was before.....??
In other words: Did McD KNOW about the discovery of the body when the dogs went into his apt?
Sandstorm, I think the quote below from Wondergirl's thoughtful transcription of the commitment hearing will clear that up:

"-Once Det. Patterson arrived at the trashcans, he observed some flies around the trashcan, and he advised another Sgt., and he had a suspicion about the can, then he looked inside, and he discovered 5 large black trash bags, with the torso inside. At that point no one knew about what they had discovered, so, they immediately secured the crime scene, and he asked Ms. Giddings friends to come to the Det. Bureau, including the accused.

-While the individuals are being interviewed by Det. Patterson, at the apartment complex LE started to look for a crime scene. Outside resources were called in. At some point, other personnel were called in, with the HRD/Cadaver dogs. At that point they began a search. Positive hits were on Lauren Giddings apartment, McDaniel’s Apartment, the apartment below Giddings’ and the Laundry Room"

In other words, HE DID NOT KNOW the "Body?" had been discovered.

SM is in a clinically depressed dark place now, or before the crime, or during the crime. Lauren is dead at the hand of another. LE believes they have their man. The evidence we know about does point, IMO, toward SM being their man. LE knows a LOT more than we do. SM's lawyer knows a LOT more than we do. I have experienced a clinical depression myself. It is not fun. If SM was fine and dandy enough to post on other forums (in other words interact with other people even in cyberspace) then he probably was not clinically depressed. From what I experienced, interaction with anyone on any level was pretty damn near impossible. Being as active a video interviewee as he was, I don't see depression there. My opinion is he was in his element during the first part of his interview. True, he is now accused of murder, in jail, and truly alone. If he is showing signs of depression now, it is due to the murder charge, IMO. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Macon LE is not about to risk a civil rights lawsuit for violating SM's civil rights by falsely accusing him of murder when they evidence THEY know about indicates someone else is the perp. And also, if it DOES come to pass that SM is not guilty, then I will personally be one of the first ones to come on this forum and acknowledge that I was wrong. I realize that we on WS have differing opinions based on how we interpret what we read or see. Everyone is entitled to their own. I do have faith in LE. This is a high-profile case. LE is being very careful with SM. I have read information to make me belive SM's attorney is highly competent. If SM continues to trial, he will have his day in court and a jury of his peers will judge him. Whether SM is clinically depressed now should have no bearing on this case. My opinion is he can roll up until he is in a fetal position and still go to trial if the evidence continues to point toward him, in LE's view, as having killed Lauren.

king-033.gif

I'm pretty darn sure you don't just "pick up" decomp on your clothes unless you actually come into contact with some organic matter. It's not an airborne contaminant. If the odor was strong enough, it might linger on your clothes, but you would notice it, for sure.

What I was thinking is that if someone thought they were SAR dogs rather than HRD dogs specifically (since the group had not been told a body had been found), there could have been a legitimate concern from any of the "searchers" that LG's scent would be on them, or in their vehicles or residences, since they had recently been in her apartment, handling some of her possessions -- thus leading the dogs astray if they were searching for a missing person by that person's scent.

As for the decomp scent -- you may be right, bessie. But then again, I am thinking of that carpet study article you posted for me a while back ...? I don't think the remains came into direct contact with the carpet in that study...but not sure? Trying to find it, was sure I saved it somewhere.

No disrepsect to Pearl, and it may not even have any bearing on the case here because being clinically depressed doesn't make it ok to kill anyone. But having fought depression for most of my life, and interacted online with others who have, I don't think that online activity is the best metric for depression. :cow: Just wanted to get out there that depressed people can have different experiences. Probably I am gonna get a reputation for being the person who says something on every thread about how not all mental illness is the same, even when it has the same name, but it's what I've seen based on extensive inpatient and outpatient experiences. :cow:

I have a question regarding the dogs, their searching, and the dissatisfaction some on the defense team seem to be taking issue on how that search was conducted...

What has me a little confused is that IMO seems the defense's issue with their only being certain apts searched with the dogs somehow indicates that they were already zeroed in on ONLY his client to the point of not seeking out further evidence that possibly was behind the closed doors of other apts.. If this were so wouldnt it have made more sense that only Lauren and Stephen's apts ONLY were the ones searched.. That IMO would be more indicative of the buck stops here on Stephen.. but LE did NOT just search these only 2 apts...but rather something led them to search apt 1[directly beneath Lauren's apt]..

So my question is what led to their even deciding to enter into that downstairs apt??..was it strictly because they were informed it was unoccupied residence that had already removed the vast majority of his belongings???.. But weren't there other unoccupied apts in the BH complex??? I was under the impression that there were actually more vacant than there were occupied as of this last week of June..

So, I'd like to know what led to their having searched this additional unit besides just the units of the victim and alleged perp?? Those two naturally, of course make sense..but why the on a separate floor[1st floor vs 2nd]..one of many, many unoccupied units..
what led to their having decided to make it the only other unit out of all 16 that would be used with the cadaver dogs??

Just some inquiries regarding the choice of apts that were chosen to use the cadaver dogs..

I am pretty sure that none of her other friends lived there. The dogs hit in three apartments. McD's, LG's and downstairs neighbor's. How many more people do you think are involved?

Not sure where you're coming from here. The quote from me you referenced was:

Originally Posted by Backwoods
I think they did really goof, to some extent. Now Buford may have followed up on that in some of his own questioning, but Winters asks about those concerns first. (IMO, to spotlight SM's anxiety about the search)

Most likely, I guess, they both addressed it, from somewhat different angles?

This was part of a discussion about which attorney at the hearing first brought up that SM had some concerns about the dogs going in his apartment...so not understanding your questioning. You mean involved in the search, the murder, or...?

eta: it was the reporter we were talking about maybe having "goofed"

Yes, according to Det. Patterson, everyone was asked if LE could search their residences. (see my Transcription of hearing)

I missed that then, thanks...but it is true that none of the "searching" friends lived at the complex, right?

The thing is, if SM is guilty, he was READY for LE to search his apartment. He was PREPARED for it.

He had cleaned everything up as best he could.

He had planted the hacksaw where he wanted it.

He had already disposed of Lauren's remains.

He had already joined Lauren's friends in entering her apartment, the MOMENT they came looking for her, he magically appeared.

He took all of his very precise precautions.

He was READY for LE.

The comment to LE about his concern he had possibly picked up some decomp, in Lauren's missing person case, WAS PRECONCEIVED. Planned out.

If you believe SM is the murderer of LG for whatever reason(s) to date, then you are already aware of a very meticulous, conniving, script and act being followed.

Near as I can figure, EVERYTHING is going according to plan, so far (except maybe the CP, that is a bit of a mystery). Even the admission of the condom thefts, allow for a reason why evidence of SM might be in any of the apartments. The reason for the keys.

He was a THIEF. Not a murderer.

I missed that then, thanks...but it is true that none of the "searching" friends lived at the complex, right?

I don't think any of the searching friends lived at the complex.

But, LE had other residents from the complex in for questioning (according to transcript), and they were asked it their places could be searched.

OK...I won't be able to sleep if I don't post this!
My dog has been known to roll over a dead squirrel like it is his JOB and then come strolling in the house...and if looks could kill, I would be a dead woman for giving him a bath. Let's just say that a squirrel cadaver dog might find evidence of a dead squirrel in my house.

But whether McD let LE search his apartment with the dogs or not does not mean anything. No one knows him any more than the other...even if he is "one of your own" and you have posted with him on other sites for years. You don't really know anyone until you live in the same house with them.

OK...work with me here.

And I am not F-ing calling him MM anymore. The dude's name is DD and he is a law student, and possibly a loud mouth when he drinks, but the guy didn't sign up for this. This might be a bad case of the wrong place at the wrong time.

McD's logic:
So say DD used the downstairs apt for half the crime, and LG's apt for another half, so the dogs hit in those two apts....
BUT if the hits in McD's apt came from him "searching" for Lauren with the others, then you would HAVE to have a hit in DD's apt. as well....seeing as he allegedly had much more contact with the body?

Yes, the posts on other sites can be taken out of context.
Yes, the posts did not say "I am going to chop up my neighbor."
However, DD vs McD, there is only one of these guys that had a hit with a cadaver dog in his apt. AND has been posting on other sites about how to get away with murder AND have a roomie that felt the need to come forward and tell LE about murder theories. Also, you have DD who is SUPPOSED to have all of the keys and then McD who has the master key but is not supposed to have them.

:fence: Backwoods, I know you want people to consider all of the possibilities, I get it.
I know that there are people who get locked up for crimes they did not commit...I want you to post on this site. I think there should be more people to play both sides of the fence....but I was thinking about this last night...
Are you just playing both sides of the fence or are you convinced down in your soul that he is being framed and he didn't do it?
Honestly, and I really want you to be honest here.
Would you take the guy in if an when he gets out of jail?
He is going to need a place to stay and study for the Bar.
Will you let him keep your 6 and 7 year old so you and your wife can have a nice romantic weekend together? According to his mom, he is great with kids?
Maybe after he passes the Bar you can move him in nextdoor to your single daughter's apartment.....or maybe you can move him into your son's apt complex. Are you 100% sure that the guy with NO character witnesses and hits in his apt for a CADAVER and posts and conversations about theories for getting away with murder is innocent and won't kill your daughter or frame your son in the future? I really want to know. If you are 100% sure and you will actually move him in with your loved ones, then keep it up my man. Maybe you know something I don't.

One more question. If your wife's torso was wrapped in 5 trash bags and left in the trash and this was all the evidence that LE had....which one would you be leaning towards, DD, McD or someone else? I want you to really think about a cadaver dog picking up your wife, son or daughter's scent in a guys apt. Does it phase you at all or are you saying "yeah, probably just picked up something while looking for the missing girl in her immaculate apt."
About the part you address directly to me:I am "playing both sides", as you call it, because I am not totally convinced that SM did it, pure and simple, and because if he did do it, and he goes to trial, a jury will be considering "both sides" -- so it seems natural to me, in my own pondering, to look at the strengths and weaknesses of all kinds of theories. I don't see the sense in picking a side and then bending everything through the lens of that viewpoint (unless I was the prosecutor or the defense attorney).

I don't particularly favor a "framing" theory of any kind. (I'm not sure if all the DD stuff in your post was aimed directly at me?? If so --why??) Really, whoever did it, I don't think any "original plan" was to frame anybody --JMO.I don't have a wife; I am female. I don't have young children. No, I wouldn't "take someone in," as you speak of, unless I knew them and trusted them at least somewhat. I don't know SM.

I am not 100 percent sure of anything in this case.

Your last paragraph: Well, again, I don't have a wife, but I do have a daughter who is a few years younger than Lauren was. I cannot imagine the pain of her family. If I were in a similar position as you describe -- again, just can hardly go there in my mind. But as to how I would feel about the cadaver dog hit, I'm pretty sure I would give it weight, and then I would also be thinking about whatever other evidence I knew about that seemed important to me, my own impressions of the people involved, lots of things, I'm sure, would be swirling around in the pain in my heart and mind.

Yes, of course, as I said, he could well be guilty and still be clinically (and maybe suicidally) depressed at this point. Was not offering my viewpoint on his possible severe depression as any excuse or whatever! Just was saying that I am not convinced he is "acting" that part of it. So many seem to be just taking that as a "given".

I don't think any of the searching friends lived at the complex.

But, LE had other residents from the complex in for questioning (according to transcript), and they were asked it their places could be searched.

Yes, thanks, I know that. I think the original post I replied to was referencing the friends who searched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kolse