GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year, everyone. I'm just getting caught up on the latest articles and video. The holidays must have been horrible for Lauren's family. (And for McD's family, as well.)

I'm still impressed by the dignity and graciousness shown by Lauren's loved ones. My prayer for the new year is that McD will grow a conscience and give up some answers to help ease their struggle, even if just a little bit.

Those are creepy pictures! They seem like they should be in a horror film. (it could be double-featured with that one M Night Shyamalan movie where the trees take away people's will to live.) Sorry, bad joke, but it's creeping me out.

I see a lot of kudzu when we travel up to the Mississippi Delta a few times each year. Even knowing how destructive it can be, I'm always struck by its eerie beauty and the dramatic changes in the landscape from season to season in areas where kudzu flourishes. You can easily imagine how a body could be hidden beneath it for a very long time because even in winter the tangled brown vines remain dense close to the ground.

Those are creepy pictures! They seem like they should be in a horror film. (it could be double-featured with that one M Night Shyamalan movie where the trees take away people's will to live.) Sorry, bad joke, but it's creeping me out.

Kudzu brought over from China, for the cattle, they love it. Horses too. It was used in China as arbor covers or for porches. They are not trained here as they should be and this is the result. However, THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL pictures in my opinion. Sadly, it can hide houses and bodies, the stuff grows 20 feet underground I understand. It is also used to replenish depleted soil when rotation of crops is necessary.

Not only for livestock but kudzu jams made for human consumption. Never tried that but intend to!

But along roadways, a good place to hide (rid) something as no one will ever traipse through it casually, and the vines will trip you with it's thickness

Kudzu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kudzu brought over from China, for the cattle, they love it. Horses too. It was used in China as arbor covers or for porches. They are not trained here as they should be and this is the result. However, THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL pictures in my opinion. Sadly, it can hide houses and bodies, the stuff grows 20 feet underground I understand. It is also used to replenish depleted soil when rotation of crops is necessary.

Not only for livestock but kudzu jams made for human consumption. Never tried that but intend to!

But along roadways, a good place to hide (rid) something as no one will ever traipse through it casually, and the vines will trip you with it's thickness

Kudzu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Twenty feet underground! I guess that explains why it's so persistent!

When the leaves aren't green, is visibility on the ground any better? Or do the brown vines themselves still provide a dense cover?

When the leaves aren't green, is visibility on the ground any better? Or do the brown vines themselves still provide a dense cover?

I live in southeast GA. Kudzu is not as prevalent around my area as it is in central and north GA. However, we do have some dense patches. Ours seems to stay green for a longer period of time than that in central and north GA because our climate is warmer year round. From looking at the pictures on the link you provided, it seems to me that the brown vines in winter provide a pretty dense cover close to the ground but not so much on buildings, etc. I cannot imagine having to cut through that stuff to conduct a search. I don't know if you can walk through it even without some kind of machine to cut a path. I grew up in south FL on the banks of Lake Okechobee where the soil is black muck and so fertile it is called black gold. Anything will thrive in it if planted there. It would be a natural disaster if kudzu made it that far south.

I made a mistake. The link was posted by Backwoods. Apology given.

not green but very dense cover still, just brown vines and/or dead leaves, depending on if it's being somewhat contained by livestock, sides of roads, not much better but depends on it's thickness at the start

WHY I CRINGE when viewing roadsides near MCD covered in kudzu!! However, where there's a will, there's a way

Happy New Year, everyone. I'm just getting caught up on the latest articles and video. The holidays must have been horrible for Lauren's family. (And for McD's family, as well.)

I'm still impressed by the dignity and graciousness shown by Lauren's loved ones. My prayer for the new year is that McD will grow a conscience and give up some answers to help ease their struggle, even if just a little bit.

Happy New Year back at you, bessie, and to everyone!

I certainly also thought of Lauren's family during the holidays ...thought several times of posting about that but it's one of those things where it is hard to find words... . I've always been impressed, too, by the way the family has presented itself, very touching, very inspiring, really. I bet Lauren is proud of them.

Like you, I've thought also of what a tough Christmas this must have been for SM's family as well. Early on in the case, I know, many of us looked at family pix one of Stephen's aunts has posted online. I don't remember whether back then I saw her Christmas 2010 pics or not, but I stumbled across them a few days ago and could only think: What a difference a year can make. Those beautiful kids were "front and center", there were pics of Stephen smiling, his parents, and -- one thing I noticed -- it appeared that both of his grandfathers were present. (It was a McDaniel side gathering, apparently, but having seen pictures of grandfather HB in the last few months via news coverage, I'm pretty sure I recognized him there as well.)

I feel for all involved.

Bibb Superior Court Judge Phillip Brown has assigned himself to preside over the McDaniels death penalty case.

I don't know how long they keep the update video up on Macon.com, but here is the link. http://www.macon.com/update/ I heard this on the news this morning while getting ready for work. Starts at about 1:19 on the video.

Bibb Superior Court Judge Phillip Brown has assigned himself to preside over the McDaniels death penalty case.

I don't know how long they keep the update video up on Macon.com, but here is the link. http://www.macon.com/update/ I heard this on the news this morning while getting ready for work. Starts at about 1:19 on the video.

Lots of comments on macon.com, about Judge Brown and his judicial temperament. I don't know the man, but I do know he just let a white collar criminal that admitted to embezzling $476,000 off with no jail time at all, only probation. Or maybe DA Winters did. However the judicial system works, it happened. I find it interesting he appointed himself, kind of egotistical if you ask me. I am betting trial won't begin until next year, although the child exploitation trial is supposed to have a conference January 10th and trial begin January 23 . I assume this will be continued. Happy New Year's Sleuthers ! :newyear: Going to be a long one for those who care about Lauren. Let's continue to pray for justice.

Sorry Backwoods, I didn't see your post a few up from mine. I was in a hurry when I posted my link.

Interesting PJD.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why Brown appointed himself to the case? Is that the type of defense Buford will present?

Lots of comments on macon.com, about Judge Brown and his judicial temperament. I don't know the man, but I do know he just let a white collar criminal that admitted to embezzling $476,000 off with no jail time at all, only probation. Or maybe DA Winters did. However the judicial system works, it happened. I find it interesting he appointed himself, kind of egotistical if you ask me. I am betting trial won't begin until next year, although the child exploitation trial is supposed to have a conference January 10th and trial begin January 23 . I assume this will be continued. Happy New Year's Sleuthers ! :newyear: Going to be a long one for those who care about Lauren. Let's continue to pray for justice.

I don't think it's fair to say it's "egotistical" to appoint himself. As the chief judge of the circuit, I think he's the one that handles the administrative tasks and is in charge of facilitating the calendar based on all of the others' caseloads. It's quite possible that he simply has the lightest caseload of all of the Bibb Superior Court Judges.

bbm: Hadn't heard about those dates until now. Thanks, AgentFrank.

ETA: Also --FWIW-- in the white-collar case mentioned, for those of you not "local" (I know you likely know this already, AgentFrank) -- I do think that the partners money was embezzled from requested some leniency be shown ... understand there is some kind of arrangement paying back the funds, etc.

Sorry Backwoods, I didn't see your post a few up from mine. I was in a hurry when I posted my link.

No problem! Yours was an "updated" version, anyhow (although I think all they did was add an "old" picture, LOL)

Interesting PJD.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why Brown appointed himself to the case? Is that the type of defense Buford will present?

At PJD's link, it says the Mental Health Court mentioned deals with lower-weight felonies and misdemeanors ... but I guess it could be that Judge Brown has a special interest in and knowledge of mental health issues overall. Interesting.

I don't think it's fair to say it's "egotistical" to appoint himself. As the chief judge of the circuit, I think he's the one that handles the administrative tasks and is in charge of facilitating the calendar based on all of the others' caseloads. It's quite possible that he simply has the lightest caseload of all of the Bibb Superior Court Judges.

The following two articles from macon.com deal with the retirement of Chief Judge Martha Christian (she retired at end of 2011, I think), so they are not right-on-target on-topic -- but I thought might be interesting references for any who would like to learn a bit about the judges in the circuit (first article) and the duties of the Chief Judge (which Brown is now):

http://www.macon.com/2011/09/29/1723622/superior-court-judge-christian.html#storylink=misearch

... The title of chief judge will pass to Judge S. Phillip Brown, the next most senior judge on the bench. Miller appointed Brown to fill a newly created judgeship in the circuit in 1995.

Three of the five sitting judges have either been newly elected or appointed in the last six years.

Former District Attorney Howard Simms was elected to a judgeship in November 2010 to fill the seat vacated by Judge Lamar Sizemore, who did not seek re-election.

Ed Ennis, a former U.S. attorney, was appointed to the bench by then-Gov. Sonny Perdue in December 2007 to fill the seat left open by Judge Bryant Culpepper’s retirement.

In 2006, Tripp Self was elected to fill a seat on the bench when Judge Tommy Day Wilcox retired. ...
http://www.macon.com/2011/12/26/1838799/retiring-macon-circuit-judge-ready.html#storylink=misearch

Judge Tripp Self described Christian as the judges’ “most valuable player” due to her ability to juggle a heavy caseload in the courtroom while also tending to administrative matters as chief judge.

“I don’t really believe the community understands what we’re about to lose. ... She has a unique ability (to juggle) legal knowledge, handle administrative issues and calendars and keep everybody else in line,” he said.
http://www.macon.com/2011/09/29/172...ristian.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

Interesting PJD.

Interesting, indeed! I won't go overboard speculating about the possible implications, but I don't view this as good news. I think an insanity defense is likely, and now we know that the judge who will preside over the case has a special interest in mental health issues. In general, that's a good thing. But does it bode well for justice being served for Lauren? I don't think so.

That is interesting and I did not know that about Judge Brown.
I'd love to see McD's psych evaluation .
Is he mentally ill, or just plain evil ?
I think the latter, although there is no
doubt he has mental issues,
I do believe he knew right from wrong , if that
is a definition of mentally ill (incompetent) Upon reading the
attachments, the self-appointment of Judge Brown is not good
news for the prosecution , IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online