GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Floyd Buford said he received the box at about 2:30 p.m. Friday and plans to spend the weekend sorting through its contents.

He said he plans to visit McDaniel, 26, in jail Saturday.

Wow....talk about tension. McDaniel is going to have one sleepless night tonight!

Is there a cover letter or outline of some sort pointing out the major points or is it just a ton of jumbled paperwork/discs shoved in a box randomly? I suspect it is the later...i.e. "here it is...we had to send it to you...you sort through it and figure out what it means".

I'm confused yet again. What kind of evidence was given to the defense today? Was it all of the evidence or just evidence that tends to exonerate SM?

All of it. That is why Hogue stated he "assumes" the proof regarding the authenticity of the internet post will be included in the evidence handed over today.

I'm confused yet again. What kind of evidence was given to the defense today? Was it all of the evidence or just evidence that tends to exonerate SM?

My understanding is everything is turned over. Search warrants, everything taken as evidence, all the reports from labs, emails between LE, prosecutors and FBI labs, transfer of evidence forms from one dept to another , all LE interviews ect., ect. Lots of paperwork. If there is evidence, forensic or otherwise it will included but not pointed out. The DT will probably have to consult with their experts to find out what the forensic results mean, as well as IT. In the Anthony case, it was mind boggling, especially the chemistry reports. The FBI labs write nothing in layman's terms.

In the Anthony case, it was mind boggling, especially the chemistry reports. The FBI labs write nothing in layman's terms.

The Anthony Case FBI forensic info was EIGHT THOUSAND PAGES??? Good gosh! I am guessing 7,980 pages said "tested item -- no hair no blood" in a complicated wordy manner.

Do they have special software programs that help them plot out this stuff and reference it later? At first the idea of the "evidence box" sounded exciting, but not if it has 8000 pages of lab reports! Seems sending it off to experts and awaiting the analysis would be the way to go.

I don't understand trying for the death penalty here at all. I thought it was a ploy to try to get McD to confess, but I have been led to believe that is not the case.

It does appear the death penalty idea was just plain emotional/political stupidity. It raised the bar 10 times higher than a murder/manslaughter charge.

If something is really crucial you just can't hand it over the "professionals" and trust them to do all of the thinking. You have cancer? Do your own research and compare that to what your oncologist advises. If one of your kids/pets is critically ill with a complicated disease? Do your own research and compare that to what the doctor suggests as the best course of treatment.

If the advice of the professionals does NOT sound like a wise course of action and they can't convince you it IS a wise course of action either fire them OR failing that put pressure on them to change their plan!

ISPs generally don't keep track of the websites you visit, they only keep track of what IP you used. It is a privacy thing as well as a data storage issue. Now private networks like Mercer could track that if they wanted to.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10448060-38.html

Yeah, I think because the FBI and GBI processed both the DNA and computer evidence it will be clean. What gets me is when the issue of prosecutorial misconduct comes up people will defend it as okay because they need to do whatever is necessary to put the "guilty bad guys" away.

Sheesh that is like a stupid woman saying while a guy may have beaten/cheated on the EX-girlfriend...but that was because the ex-girlfriend was bad and deserved it. She feels sure he wouldn't do that to her/daughter/sister because she is a GOOD person and he loves her. Uh huh. If they will do it to someone else they will likely do it to you and your loved ones too.

like the old adage goes, "2 wrongs dont' make a right" and if they believe in their system, no LE should have to resort to underhanded ways.

like the old adage goes, "2 wrongs dont' make a right" and if they believe in their system, no LE should have to resort to underhanded ways.

Well IF the FBI did not find any forensic evidence...and if the GBI only found the CP (which is not related to the murder, if the victim had been an 8 year old kid then maybe linked, but in this case apparently not) then it will be interesting.

Three agencies involved, only one agency has "skin" in this game from the standpoint of dealing with the victim's family, the crime happening on their turf, the public, re-elections, etc... If that agency is the ONLY one to find any evidence, weak circumstantial evidence at that, well....hmmmmm.

I really do like Burns, but IF all of the evidence happens to come from the one agency that HAS TO SOLVE this case...and the other two agencies (including one which is considered one of the best in the world) find NOTHING well that does seem awfully convenient.

I think all evidence collected in a felony case in GA is processed by the GBI with any evidence necessary sent to the FBI. I know in my county, all evidence is sent to the GBI especially evidence in a suspicious death. So Lauren's evidence involves at least two investigative agencies and we know some was sent to the FBI so that makes three. I don't think it will be convenient if only one agency finds evidence against the alleged killer. I also don't think that it will be likely that only one agency will find evidence. My thinking is positive results will come from both lab testing facilities.

I think all evidence collected in a felony case in GA is processed by the GBI with any evidence necessary sent to the FBI. I know in my county, all evidence is sent to the GBI especially evidence in a suspicious death. So Lauren's evidence involves at least two investigative agencies and we know some was sent to the FBI so that makes three. I don't think it will be convenient if only one agency finds evidence against the alleged killer. I also don't think that it will be likely that only one agency will find evidence. My thinking is positive results will come from both lab testing facilities.

From what I understand the FBI got involved on day one because a Mercer Professor with connections asked them to get involved.
The GBI got the computer and other computer related evidence. I am guessing when folks emailed internet posts to the MPD....and that was pursued...the question came up:

Lead Investigator:
"We met with someone that confirmed McDaniel posted as SoL, he will testify."

Investigator: "Should we check the computer?"

Lead Investigator: "The GBI has the computer."

Investigator: "So should we ask them if they can trace/confirm this?"

Lead Investigator: "We have a witness that will confirm McDaniel made those posts. We don't need to involve the GBI, we have confirmed this. Find all SoL posts and print them out, also hit "print screen" and save them on disc for electronic confirmation."

Investigator: "Okay. Will do."

Sonya, should u say that is rumor or your opinion? We are not supposed to write things on here that possibly aren't true? I am talking about discussing the FBI involvement. Just looking out for you here on WS and protecting the forum. :)

Sonya, should u say that is rumor or your opinion? We are not supposed to write things on here that possibly aren't true? I am talking about discussing the FBI involvement. Just looking out for you here on WS and protecting the forum. :)

Burns stated in an interview early on that the FBI just "showed up" on the first day of the investigation and "offered their services", he sort of smirked and said of course the MPD accepted their offer.

Obviously someone called them into the case and it wasn't the MPD. That had to be a bit irksome for the MPD, it was their case and it was up to THEM to invite other agencies in to help, having another agency just show up to "help" without being invited is a bit insulting. I read somewhere (that I can't recall) that a Mercer professor had a contact at the FBI and asked for a favor. I would think others here might have read that too but if it is "unverified' and out of bounds the mods can delete that.

Now you've got me thinking back. IIRC, the official line was the #FBI said they got involved because it was a college student? I remember there was speculation even about Lauren's dad's business and the boyfriend's legal clients; who would want to harm Lauren ? There probably is more to the story and strings pulled or favors called in. FBI just doesn't show up to help out I would not think .

Okay Sleuthers, so , an informal poll among just us if you will, how do you think that conversation went Saturday at the old Bibb County LEC :
Two choices

1) Buford: Happy Days are here again, Stephen, they got nothing, absolutely nothing ! or

2) Buford : Stephen, looks like they got ya. All the FBI Forensics, your DNA is everywhere, the Wal-Mart video shows you buying all that bleach , Tox Tests on the torso showed the Mickey Finn, your PC has all those e mails to your friends bragging about how you did it and are going to try to get away with it, we might ought to take a plea deal to avoid the needle .

I choose #3 lol.

3. Buford: Stephen, they've got some pretty good circumstantial evidence , but no smoking gun forensics. Tox test on the torso, plenty of people willing to state how weird you are, LG's DNA in the frig downstairs, the saw package, LG's panties in your drawer, LG's key in your possession, and those sol posts. (maybe some computer research on dismemberment,maybe some indication that McD used LG's computer,possible torso trash bag match to trash bags in McD's apartment,ect) We need to hire a jury consultant and hope for another Pinellas 12.

If this is the case I expect the DT to start making more positive statements to the media.

I choose #3 lol.
3. Buford: Stephen, they've got some pretty good circumstantial evidence , but no smoking gun forensics.

Yup...I go for option #3 too. They have circumstantial evidence that looks bad BUT is not likely to be enough to get a jury to vote for execution. At this point I would really be shocked if they have a Walmart Tape or really good DNA evidence.

I think a plea bargain is out of the question, IF the evidence is weak he might plea out for a 10 year sentence but the DA can't offer that without losing face, so if it is life in prison vs. the unlikely event of execution there is no reason to bargain at all.

your PC has all those e mails to your friends bragging about how you did it and are going to try to get away with it.

Sadly if he had sent emails to "friends" they likely would have enjoyed the five minutes of fame by telling the world about it. Look at his ex-roomate, who claims he became friends with McDaniel and that McDaniel helped him through some hard times, then he jumps at the chance to tell the media (and the police) how "weird" McDaniel was and make fun of him.

With friends like that you don't need enemies.

I choose #2. I think, personally, that LE has their man. Could be wrong, might be wrong, but like everyone else, will just have to wait and see.

A possible indication about the strength of the evidence will be what kind of experts the defense consults. But, we probably won't know that until trial either.

I choose #2. I think, personally, that LE has their man. Could be wrong, might be wrong, but like everyone else, will just have to wait and see.

When you say the "LE has their man" do you mean the LE has identified the real killer? Or do you mean the LE has enough evidence to convict?

ISPs generally don't keep track of the websites you visit, they only keep track of what IP you used. It is a privacy thing as well as a data storage issue. Now private networks like Mercer could track that if they wanted to.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10448060-38.html

Yeah, I think because the FBI and GBI processed both the DNA and computer evidence it will be clean. What gets me is when the issue of prosecutorial misconduct comes up people will defend it as okay because they need to do whatever is necessary to put the "guilty bad guys" away.

Sheesh that is like a stupid woman saying while a guy may have beaten/cheated on the EX-girlfriend...but that was because the ex-girlfriend was bad and deserved it. She feels sure he wouldn't do that to her/daughter/sister because she is a GOOD person and he loves her. Uh huh. If they will do it to someone else they will likely do it to you and your loved ones too.
Above BBM.. Sorry this is not accurate.. And this is known as fact by myself personally that if the Internet Service Provider absolutely 100% can/will provide the entire browser history time and date stamped to the second to little ol' me, nothing but a customer of the Internet service of which they provide.. I haven't a single doubt that they can provide it to LE/ States atty office with a court ordered subpoena...

Articles can be quoted and cited but this is something I know for a fact and have seen the browser history page for page, date for date, and time for time that each were accessed..

____________________...
Posting via mobile as well as via tablet so plz forgive all typos.. Btwn the sucky touch keyboard and the obsessive auto-correct it's a big ol' mess :crazy:

Above BBM.. Sorry this is not accurate.. And this is known as fact by myself personally that if the Internet Service Provider absolutely 100% can/will provide the entire browser history time and date stamped to the second to little ol' me, nothing but a customer of the Internet service of which they provide.. I haven't a single doubt that they can provide it to LE/ States atty office with a court ordered subpoena...

Articles can be quoted and cited but this is something I know for a fact and have seen the browser history page for page, date for date, and time for time that each were accessed..

____________________...
Posting via mobile as well as via tablet so plz forgive all typos.. Btwn the sucky touch keyboard and the obsessive auto-correct it's a big ol' mess :crazy:

If your experience were the norm, why would LE need legislation to force ISPs to store data? Sorry, but I'm going with the articles and my common sense on this one.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20078653-281/police-internet-providers-must-keep-user-logs/

At the moment, Internet service providers typically discard any log file that's no longer required for business reasons such as network monitoring, fraud prevention, or billing disputes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member